Problems with KDE or Kubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Problems with KDE or Kubuntu - Ubuntu ; Hi all, Their are numerous problems with Kubuntu namely stability issues so I've decided to install plain debian linux with KDE on the box that needs K.D.E. and it just worked straight away. Okey the version of KDE is a ...

  1. Problems with KDE or Kubuntu

    Hi all,

    Their are numerous problems with Kubuntu namely stability issues so I've
    decided to install plain debian linux with KDE on the box that needs
    K.D.E. and it just worked straight away. Okey the version of KDE is a few
    versions behind the latest one but the things I need work on it. So my
    question is : Is the use of the latest & greatest GUI really the best
    option to have a stable system ? In my opinion no it is not because some
    of those new features bring the likely hood of having more bugs. So I
    wonder why groups like Kubuntu.org feel the need to release bleeding edge
    distributions of software. Ubuntu is quite good in that respect but the
    people working on kubuntu should take some time and test the distribution
    in-house before releasing it to the masses. It gives the Linux community
    & the company that produces Ubuntu e.i. canonical a bad name by having a
    derivative product out that is experimental product out under their name
    or product that is associated with their main stable product...

    Michael.

  2. Re: Problems with KDE or Kubuntu

    Michael C. Vergallen wrote:

    > Their are numerous problems with Kubuntu namely stability issues so I've
    > decided to install plain debian linux with KDE on the box that needs
    > K.D.E. and it just worked straight away. Okey the version of KDE is a few
    > versions behind the latest one but the things I need work on it.

    If you want a Debian based distro with a superior implementation of KDE,
    I'd suggest you check out MEPIS. The new version 7 is based on Etch, but
    with a custom kernel optimized for greater hardware support, a newer
    version of KDE, lots of updated software packages, and numerous tweaks,
    tools, and utilities to make your computing experience enjoyable and
    productive.

    --
    Mark Warner
    ....goin' mobile with MEPIS Linux v7

  3. Re: Problems with KDE or Kubuntu

    "Michael C. Vergallen" writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Their are numerous problems with Kubuntu namely stability issues so I've
    > decided to install plain debian linux with KDE on the box that needs
    > K.D.E. and it just worked straight away. Okey the version of KDE is a few
    > versions behind the latest one but the things I need work on it. So my
    > question is : Is the use of the latest & greatest GUI really the best
    > option to have a stable system ? In my opinion no it is not because
    > some

    Like all SW you make a choice. Some things are unstable in new releases,
    other things are not. It is generally your choice. Their is a myth than
    Debian Stable is , well, working really well. It#s not true. It is
    "stable" in that the great majority of the deficiencies are well known
    and avoidable one way or another. If you want more bleeding edge and
    potentially important bug fixes (which in turn might break other things)
    then move to Debian "testing" and possibly pin the repositories in order
    to use the odd "unstable" release as I had to do to support my SATA
    chipset on a 64 bit mobo.

    --
    If you see an onion ring -- answer it!

  4. Re: Problems with KDE or Kubuntu

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:23:37 -0500, Mark Warner wrote:

    > If you want a Debian based distro with a superior implementation of KDE,
    > I'd suggest you check out MEPIS. The new version 7 is based on Etch, but
    > with a custom kernel optimized for greater hardware support, a newer
    > version of KDE, lots of updated software packages, and numerous tweaks,
    > tools, and utilities to make your computing experience enjoyable and
    > productive.

    No I think I will stay with the original Debian release that supports my
    hardware well and does what I need to do. Even if the KDE release it uses
    is a bit older. The things I need on the system work e.i. sound
    ( sampling & creation of soundtracks via audacity ) , imaging (digikam,
    gimp etc.) video editing (lives & cinelerra) & dvd creation (DVD
    authoring wizzard frontend to dvdauthor).

    michael

  5. Re: Problems with KDE or Kubuntu

    "Michael C. Vergallen" writes:

    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:23:37 -0500, Mark Warner wrote:
    >

    >> If you want a Debian based distro with a superior implementation of KDE,
    >> I'd suggest you check out MEPIS. The new version 7 is based on Etch, but
    >> with a custom kernel optimized for greater hardware support, a newer
    >> version of KDE, lots of updated software packages, and numerous tweaks,
    >> tools, and utilities to make your computing experience enjoyable and
    >> productive.

    > No I think I will stay with the original Debian release that supports my
    > hardware well and does what I need to do. Even if the KDE release it uses
    > is a bit older. The things I need on the system work e.i. sound
    > ( sampling & creation of soundtracks via audacity ) , imaging (digikam,
    > gimp etc.) video editing (lives & cinelerra) & dvd creation (DVD
    > authoring wizzard frontend to dvdauthor).
    >
    > michael

    What makes you think other releases wont support that same HW? None of
    your needs sounds particularly special here - a working video and sound
    card, a camera and a DVD burner basically : all basic stuff.

  6. Re: Problems with KDE or Kubuntu

    Michael C. Vergallen schreef:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Their are numerous problems with Kubuntu namely stability issues so I've
    > decided to install plain debian linux with KDE on the box that needs
    > K.D.E. and it just worked straight away. Okey the version of KDE is a few
    > versions behind the latest one but the things I need work on it.

    And pray which version of Kubuntu did you have the problems with and
    which version(s) of KDE is the one you suggest we should avoid?
    > So my
    > question is : Is the use of the latest & greatest GUI really the best
    > option to have a stable system ? In my opinion no it is not because some
    > of those new features bring the likely hood of having more bugs. So I
    > wonder why groups like Kubuntu.org feel the need to release bleeding edge
    > distributions of software.

    Kubuntu gives you the option of several releases, there's the now a bit
    older 6.06 dapper which is a 'stable' release as there's a known fix for
    just about any issue.
    Then there is the present 7.10 Gutsy with KDE 3.5.8 or alternatively
    (your choice!) a RC of KDE 4.
    Also still available is 7.04 Feisty, quite stable now with a KDE 3.x
    > Ubuntu is quite good in that respect but the
    > people working on kubuntu should take some time and test the distribution
    > in-house before releasing it to the masses. It gives the Linux community
    > & the company that produces Ubuntu e.i. canonical a bad name by having a
    > derivative product out that is experimental product out under their name
    > or product that is associated with their main stable product...

    I think you are exaggerating the issue, as shown above there is no need
    to run a bleeding edge KDE or Kubuntu.
    As a matter of fact most Ubuntu/Kubuntu sites will explain this quite well.

    > Michael.

  7. Re: Problems with KDE or Kubuntu

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 07:40:33 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > "Michael C. Vergallen" writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:23:37 -0500, Mark Warner wrote:
    >>

    >>> If you want a Debian based distro with a superior implementation of
    >>> KDE, I'd suggest you check out MEPIS. The new version 7 is based on
    >>> Etch, but with a custom kernel optimized for greater hardware support,
    >>> a newer version of KDE, lots of updated software packages, and
    >>> numerous tweaks, tools, and utilities to make your computing
    >>> experience enjoyable and productive.

    >> No I think I will stay with the original Debian release that supports
    >> my hardware well and does what I need to do. Even if the KDE release it
    >> uses is a bit older. The things I need on the system work e.i. sound (
    >> sampling & creation of soundtracks via audacity ) , imaging (digikam,
    >> gimp etc.) video editing (lives & cinelerra) & dvd creation (DVD
    >> authoring wizzard frontend to dvdauthor).
    >>
    >> michael

    > What makes you think other releases wont support that same HW? None of
    > your needs sounds particularly special here - a working video and sound
    > card, a camera and a DVD burner basically : all basic stuff.

    I'm not thinking that but I've decided not to go looking for yet another
    distribution to try... The last week I've tested 4 distributions (Fedora
    core 8, Kubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu studio 7.10 and Debian) and found that the 3
    other distributions besides Debian didn't work out for me. Because they
    either gave me install problems (Fedora Core) or just the Kubuntu
    releases that seem to have updates every couple of days...And most of
    them seem to introduce more problems.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread