My scren resolution doesn't care about xorg.conf :( - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on My scren resolution doesn't care about xorg.conf :( - Ubuntu ; Hi everybody, I don't understand. I must say I'm not an expert but i've never seen such a thing... Don't know thanks to which saint of the paradise (maybe because there has been a blackout and turning on the computer, ...

  1. My scren resolution doesn't care about xorg.conf :(

    Hi everybody,

    I don't understand. I must say I'm not an expert but i've never seen such a
    thing...

    Don't know thanks to which saint of the paradise (maybe because there has
    been a blackout and turning on the computer, he had something to say), but
    my Kubuntu 7.10 had changed the screen resolution in a strange way, like
    1200x800 (and i don't have a widescreen monitor)...

    Tried to change resolution with KDE Systen Settings, but there wasn't the
    resolution i was looking for.

    So, I thought that the problem could be in xorg.conf (it's the file that
    determinates resolution, isn't it?)

    So i tried with

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    I answered to all questions full of hope, and to be sure, I selected just
    the only resolution i wanted and i had before this (1152*864).

    Drinking a very christmas-scented Lagavulin, I reboot!

    None, now it goes 1024*768

    Logout, login with another user, and he has a 1280*960 or something like
    that resolution...

    Where do this resolution come from???

    I also tried to edit xorg.conf, and my "screen" section now says:

    Section "Screen"
    * *Identifier * "Default Screen"
    * *Device * * *"ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
    * *Monitor * * *"Monitor Generico"
    * *DefaultDepth * 24
    * *SubSection "Display"
    * *Modes "1152x864"
    * *EndSubSection
    EndSection

    What do you think about it???
    Can you help me?

    --
    Vivere è la cosa più rara del mondo:
    i più, esistono solamente.

  2. Re: My scren resolution doesn't care about xorg.conf :(

    Lorenzo wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I don't understand. I must say I'm not an expert but i've never seen such a
    > thing...
    >
    > Don't know thanks to which saint of the paradise (maybe because there has
    > been a blackout and turning on the computer, he had something to say), but
    > my Kubuntu 7.10 had changed the screen resolution in a strange way, like
    > 1200x800 (and i don't have a widescreen monitor)...
    >
    > Tried to change resolution with KDE Systen Settings, but there wasn't the
    > resolution i was looking for.
    >
    > So, I thought that the problem could be in xorg.conf (it's the file that
    > determinates resolution, isn't it?)
    >
    > So i tried with
    >
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >
    > I answered to all questions full of hope, and to be sure, I selected just
    > the only resolution i wanted and i had before this (1152*864).
    >
    > Drinking a very christmas-scented Lagavulin, I reboot!
    >
    > None, now it goes 1024*768
    >
    > Logout, login with another user, and he has a 1280*960 or something like
    > that resolution...
    >
    > Where do this resolution come from???
    >
    > I also tried to edit xorg.conf, and my "screen" section now says:
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Default Screen"
    > Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
    > Monitor "Monitor Generico"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Modes "1152x864"
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > What do you think about it???
    > Can you help me?

    You've probably done this, but after I re-configured the .org file, I
    still had to access screen resolution in the Gnome menu and set what I
    wanted. What the re-configure did was to make available resolutions that
    weren't there on the default install.
    Dave Cohen

  3. Re: My scren resolution doesn't care about xorg.conf :(

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 16:30:36 +0000, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > Lorenzo wrote:
    >> Hi everybody,
    >>
    >> I don't understand. I must say I'm not an expert but i've never seen such a
    >> thing...
    >>
    >> Don't know thanks to which saint of the paradise (maybe because there has
    >> been a blackout and turning on the computer, he had something to say), but
    >> my Kubuntu 7.10 had changed the screen resolution in a strange way, like
    >> 1200x800 (and i don't have a widescreen monitor)...
    >>
    >> Tried to change resolution with KDE Systen Settings, but there wasn't the
    >> resolution i was looking for.
    >>
    >> So, I thought that the problem could be in xorg.conf (it's the file that
    >> determinates resolution, isn't it?)
    >>
    >> So i tried with
    >>
    >> sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    >>
    >> I answered to all questions full of hope, and to be sure, I selected just
    >> the only resolution i wanted and i had before this (1152*864).
    >>
    >> Drinking a very christmas-scented Lagavulin, I reboot!
    >>
    >> None, now it goes 1024*768
    >>
    >> Logout, login with another user, and he has a 1280*960 or something like
    >> that resolution...
    >>
    >> Where do this resolution come from???
    >>
    >> I also tried to edit xorg.conf, and my "screen" section now says:
    >>
    >> Section "Screen"
    >> Identifier "Default Screen"
    >> Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
    >> Monitor "Monitor Generico"
    >> DefaultDepth 24
    >> SubSection "Display"
    >> Modes "1152x864"
    >> EndSubSection
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> What do you think about it???
    >> Can you help me?
    >>

    > You've probably done this, but after I re-configured the .org file, I
    > still had to access screen resolution in the Gnome menu and set what I
    > wanted. What the re-configure did was to make available resolutions that
    > weren't there on the default install.
    > Dave Cohen

    Also the same for KDE. Just went through this a couple weeks ago when I
    bought a widescreen monitor and needed 1680x1050. You still need to adjust
    your monitor setting in the GUI.

  4. Re: My scren resolution doesn't care about xorg.conf :(

    Lorenzo wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I don't understand. I must say I'm not an expert but i've never seen such a
    > thing...
    >
    > Don't know thanks to which saint of the paradise (maybe because there has
    > been a blackout and turning on the computer, he had something to say), but
    > my Kubuntu 7.10 had changed the screen resolution in a strange way, like
    > 1200x800 (and i don't have a widescreen monitor)...

    After upgrading to 7.10., I too had all sorts of problems with my ATI
    card. Now, AMD has taken over ATI and opened the specs, so better times
    are on their way.

    Anyway, what I did was reinstalling my ATI linux driver (fglrx), even
    so, it required work & reboots to get the wide-screen and external
    monitor working at max resolution. Sometimes, X wouldn't start.

    > I also tried to edit xorg.conf, and my "screen" section now says:
    >
    > Section "Screen"
    > Identifier "Default Screen"
    > Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
    > Monitor "Monitor Generico"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Modes "1152x864"
    > EndSubSection
    > EndSection
    >
    > What do you think about it???
    > Can you help me?

    Step 1. Reinstall your ATI driver manually
    Step 2. Manually edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

    In particular, find your modeline e.g.:

    $ gtf 1152 864 60

    # 1152x864 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 53.70 kHz; pclk: 81.62 MHz
    Modeline "1152x864_60.00" 81.62 1152 1216 1336 1520 864 865 868
    895 -HSync +Vsync

    and insert the last line above, like I have done here:

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Modeline-0"
    ModeLine "1440x900_60.00" 106.5 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901
    904 932 -hsync +vsync
    sync +vsync
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    UseModes "Modeline-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

    To force laptop to use external monitor (if available), I used

    $ aticonfig --force-monitor=crt1

    which gave

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "ForceMonitors" "crt1"
    EndSection

    and
    $ aticonfig --resolution=0,1600x1200,1280x1024,1024x768

    gave

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

    There are detailed howto's out there, lots of people has been in trouble
    here.

    --
    Tor

+ Reply to Thread