USB Sound-card how to get it going? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on USB Sound-card how to get it going? - Ubuntu ; OK I've took out the old trusty Soundblaster, and tried to use the onboard C-Media CM6501 card. I can hear noise when I issue the commandant "cat /bin/sh >>/dev/dspX or /dev/audioX" so the card is definitely recognized. lsusb -v gives ...

  1. USB Sound-card how to get it going?

    OK I've took out the old trusty Soundblaster, and tried to use the
    onboard C-Media CM6501 card. I can hear noise when I issue the
    commandant "cat /bin/sh >>/dev/dspX or /dev/audioX"
    so the card is definitely recognized.

    lsusb -v gives me this:

    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0201 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    idVendor 0x0d8c C-Media Electronics, Inc.

    I looked at some Ubuntu sites dealing with this issue, but most I
    found deal with "USB-speakers."

    Now how can I get alsa "playing" nicely with this card?

    Thanks for any hints :-)

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."

  2. Re: USB Sound-card how to get it going?

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:58:17 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > OK I've took out the old trusty Soundblaster, and tried to use the
    > onboard C-Media CM6501 card. I can hear noise when I issue the
    > commandant "cat /bin/sh >>/dev/dspX or /dev/audioX" so the card is
    > definitely recognized.
    >
    > lsusb -v gives me this:
    >
    > Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0201 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    > idVendor 0x0d8c C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    >
    > I looked at some Ubuntu sites dealing with this issue, but most I found
    > deal with "USB-speakers."
    >
    > Now how can I get alsa "playing" nicely with this card?

    I'm just now going through a similar change by adding a USB sound card.

    If you have more than one sound card, the default card (for ALSA) is
    assigned randomly during bootup.

    You can use a program called asoundconf (or asoundconf-gtk) to assign the
    default sound card. Then, sound will be played through the selected
    sound card by most applications.

    You can use a mixer (like aumix or kmix) to choose the sound card, and
    adjust things about it. Do a 'cat /proc/asound/cards' for interesting
    information about the sound cards Linux thinks you have.

    I am having problems recording from my new USB sound card. Have you been
    able to do that? How?

  3. Re: USB Sound-card how to get it going?

    On 2007-12-23, Joe User hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > I'm just now going through a similar change by adding a
    >USB sound card.
    >
    > If you have more than one sound card, the default card
    > (for ALSA) is assigned randomly during bootup.
    >
    > You can use a program called asoundconf (or
    > asoundconf-gtk) to assign the default sound card. Then,
    > sound will be played through the selected sound card by
    > most applications.
    >
    > You can use a mixer (like aumix or kmix) to choose the
    > sound card, and adjust things about it. Do a 'cat
    > /proc/asound/cards' for interesting information about the
    > sound cards Linux thinks you have.

    1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
    MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 5
    2 [default ]: USB-Audio - PnP Audio Device
    PnP Audio Device at usb-0000:00:02.1-4, full speed

    > I am having problems recording from my new USB sound card.
    > Have you been able to do that? How?

    In the past yes, I could record from it the line in. I used
    "ecasound" to do so. In fact I used two cards, the old trusty
    soundblaster and a onboard AC97 or something. Used the Soundblaster
    as input and to control the output (after recording) via the AC97.

    From the looks of it, I'm not too far away from it, after all I can
    hear noise coming from the speakers.

    As I need to record on this PC as well I'll investigate it, and if I
    get it going, I'll let you know...

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  4. Re: USB Sound-card how to get it going?

    On 2007-12-23, Joe User hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:58:17 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> OK I've took out the old trusty Soundblaster, and tried to use the
    >> onboard C-Media CM6501 card. I can hear noise when I issue the
    >> commandant "cat /bin/sh >>/dev/dspX or /dev/audioX" so the card is
    >> definitely recognized.
    >>
    >> lsusb -v gives me this:
    >>
    >> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0201 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    >> idVendor 0x0d8c C-Media Electronics, Inc.
    >>
    >> I looked at some Ubuntu sites dealing with this issue, but most I found
    >> deal with "USB-speakers."
    >>
    >> Now how can I get alsa "playing" nicely with this card?

    > I'm just now going through a similar change by adding a USB sound card.
    >
    > If you have more than one sound card, the default card (for ALSA) is
    > assigned randomly during bootup.
    >
    > You can use a program called asoundconf (or asoundconf-gtk) to assign the
    > default sound card. Then, sound will be played through the selected
    > sound card by most applications.

    OK thanks for the hint, for now I got the card working,
    amarok is playing fine music now...
    dunno if this in .asaoundrc did the trick.

    ---------------
    # ALSA library configuration file

    # Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
    # (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)

    pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "hw:1,0"
    }
    -----------------

    As for the rest of it "recording" I'll have to try later in
    the next couple of days.... If I can get both cards working
    too this would be fine. It would be great, because then I could use
    the PC to make phone-calls too.

    > You can use a mixer (like aumix or kmix) to choose the
    > sound card, and adjust things about it. Do a 'cat
    > /proc/asound/cards' for interesting information about the
    > sound cards Linux thinks you have.
    >
    > I am having problems recording from my new USB sound card.
    > Have you been able to do that? How?

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  5. Solved partly :-) Re: USB Sound-card how to get it going?

    > ---------------
    > # ALSA library configuration file
    >
    > # Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
    > # (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)
    >

    > pcm.dsp0 {
    > type plug
    > slave.pcm "hw:1,0"
    > }
    > -----------------

    OK I solved the issue more or less,

    The above snippet most likely did it,
    plus alsaconf set-default-card 2

    I can record from the microphone, but not from "line-in" the funny
    thing is that I can hear sound/music through "line in".
    When I fire up "alsamixer" I can control the input from "line-in"
    with two "speaker controls". I think that this is down to the chip I'm
    using.

    To really get a satisfying setup going, I'll put the Soundblaster
    back into the PC, and use its "line-in". BTW the chip I'm using is a
    C-Media6501. This was the only portion of the Hardware I didn't
    really check, because I planned on using the Soundblaster *and* the
    on-board card just as a back-up....

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  6. Re: Solved partly :-) Re: USB Sound-card how to get it going?

    OK I break "two" rules I'll top-post and I reply to myself....

    :-)

    OK I *can* now record with the USB card

    But it wasn't that easy to set up. I think because it is a
    undocumented solution and it may vary from one card to the
    next.

    First there was more or less hidden "input" to select in
    alsamixer. When I selected "PCM-Input" I was able using the
    ↓ (arrow down) key to cycle trough 3 sources and select
    "input 3".

    I wrote before that I had "two" speaker controls, now after
    this there was only one which had any effect, and I could
    record with ecasound.

    "ecasound -c -i alsahw,1,0 -o first_test.wav"

    (this was without any sound to hear, but this isn't such a
    problem...)

    Yet also with audacity was I now able to record, after I
    selected the "ALA PNP USB-Audio(hwx.y)

    "gnome-audio-recorder" also works now. Do not know if there
    is any information for this chip/driver and how to get it
    going, but finally I figured it out. All of them was without
    hearing a sound while recording, but this shouldn't be such
    a big problem I think with ecasound one can direct the
    output to two destinations....

    Maybe there are some hints here for others to get their
    sound-card going....

    On 2007-12-25, Dragomir Kollaric hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >> ---------------
    >> # ALSA library configuration file
    >>
    >> # Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
    >> # (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)
    >>

    >> pcm.dsp0 {
    >> type plug
    >> slave.pcm "hw:1,0"
    >> }
    >> -----------------

    > OK I solved the issue more or less,
    >
    > The above snippet most likely did it,
    > plus alsaconf set-default-card 2
    >
    > I can record from the microphone, but not from "line-in" the funny
    > thing is that I can hear sound/music through "line in".
    > When I fire up "alsamixer" I can control the input from "line-in"
    > with two "speaker controls". I think that this is down to the chip I'm
    > using.
    >
    > To really get a satisfying setup going, I'll put the Soundblaster
    > back into the PC, and use its "line-in". BTW the chip I'm using is a
    > C-Media6501. This was the only portion of the Hardware I didn't
    > really check, because I planned on using the Soundblaster *and* the
    > on-board card just as a back-up....
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

+ Reply to Thread