audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame - Ubuntu ; I'm running Gutsy. After recording a track in audacity I can't find export mp3 OR export ogg in the file menu. It ONLY lets me export an uncompressed file format. I have BOTH liblame0 and libogg0 packages installed. I don't ...

  1. audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    I'm running Gutsy. After recording a track in audacity I can't find
    export mp3 OR export ogg in the file menu. It ONLY lets me export an
    uncompressed file format. I have BOTH liblame0 and libogg0 packages
    installed.

    I don't think audacity even has these export options compiled in,
    because they aren't even GRAYED OUT in the menu, they plan AIN'T there!

    (They are in Debian etch btw!)

  2. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:58:04 +0000, ken scharf wrote:

    > I'm running Gutsy. After recording a track in audacity I can't find
    > export mp3 OR export ogg in the file menu. It ONLY lets me export an
    > uncompressed file format. I have BOTH liblame0 and libogg0 packages
    > installed.
    >
    > I don't think audacity even has these export options compiled in,
    > because they aren't even GRAYED OUT in the menu, they plan AIN'T there!
    >
    > (They are in Debian etch btw!)

    I can export in mp3 and ogg in Kubuntu 7.04 and Audacity 1.2.6.
    Did you edit the preferences to find your MP3 and Ogg libraries? I'm using
    LAME 3.96.1. and had to locate the binaries for LAME but not for Ogg.

  3. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:58:04 +0000, ken scharf wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running Gutsy. After recording a track in audacity I can't find
    >> export mp3 OR export ogg in the file menu. It ONLY lets me export an
    >> uncompressed file format. I have BOTH liblame0 and libogg0 packages
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> I don't think audacity even has these export options compiled in,
    >> because they aren't even GRAYED OUT in the menu, they plan AIN'T there!
    >>
    >> (They are in Debian etch btw!)

    > I can export in mp3 and ogg in Kubuntu 7.04 and Audacity 1.2.6.
    > Did you edit the preferences to find your MP3 and Ogg libraries? I'm using
    > LAME 3.96.1. and had to locate the binaries for LAME but not for Ogg.

    Yes I did that. BTW you are not running Gutsy, but the version BEFORE
    that one. I'm running version 1.3.3 So the problem may be that
    something is broken in gutsy, because I don't even see the option grayed
    out for ogg or mp3.

  4. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:58:04 +0000, ken scharf wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running Gutsy. After recording a track in audacity I can't find
    >> export mp3 OR export ogg in the file menu. It ONLY lets me export an
    >> uncompressed file format. I have BOTH liblame0 and libogg0 packages
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> I don't think audacity even has these export options compiled in,
    >> because they aren't even GRAYED OUT in the menu, they plan AIN'T there!
    >>
    >> (They are in Debian etch btw!)

    > I can export in mp3 and ogg in Kubuntu 7.04 and Audacity 1.2.6.
    > Did you edit the preferences to find your MP3 and Ogg libraries? I'm using
    > LAME 3.96.1. and had to locate the binaries for LAME but not for Ogg.

    OK, I'm going to answer my own question here.
    http://dai-videotutes.blogspot.com/2...exportmp3.html
    Seems the turds at audacity.org have REMOVED the export options for ogg
    and mp3 (and others) from the top level menu and HID them two levels
    down. You now have to go into file, export, click on file folders and
    then select the export type! This is so lame (pun not intended) and not
    very obvious. Hope they update the documentation!!!!

  5. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    ken scharf wrote:

    > OK, I'm going to answer my own question here.
    > http://dai-videotutes.blogspot.com/2...exportmp3.html
    >
    > Seems the turds at audacity.org have REMOVED the export options for ogg
    > and mp3 (and others) from the top level menu and HID them two levels
    > down. You now have to go into file, export, click on file folders and
    > then select the export type! This is so lame (pun not intended) and not
    > very obvious. Hope they update the documentation!!!!

    Okay, that's a bit of a step back, but I stll wouldn't call the coders
    "turds". After all they've provided us with an amazing piece of free
    audio editing software...

    I'm going to compile the latest version right now, and see for myself
    (the Debian Etch package still has the export options where they always
    were).

  6. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    ken scharf wrote:
    > I'm running Gutsy. After recording a track in audacity I can't find
    > export mp3 OR export ogg in the file menu. It ONLY lets me export an
    > uncompressed file format. I have BOTH liblame0 and libogg0 packages
    > installed.
    >
    > I don't think audacity even has these export options compiled in,
    > because they aren't even GRAYED OUT in the menu, they plan AIN'T there!
    >
    > (They are in Debian etch btw!)

    After you recorded the selection did you go
    File-Export?
    When you click on that a dialog box will open and
    there will be a button that lets you choose what
    format you want to export in. But you will not
    have the File-Export choice if you don't have a
    recorded track first.
    caver1

  7. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:51:33 +0000, ken scharf wrote:

    > Seems the turds at audacity.org have REMOVED the export options for ogg
    > and mp3 (and others) from the top level menu and HID them two levels
    > down. You now have to go into file, export, click on file folders and
    > then select the export type! This is so lame (pun not intended) and not
    > very obvious. Hope they update the documentation!!!!

    They should be congratulated for producing a fine sound editing program
    and the menus might take a little getting used to but they offer more
    room for growth later and Gimp and others are doing similar things.

    Thanks for letting us know you got it working I was running a quick test
    to be sure it was working here when I saw your new post.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  8. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:45:23 +0000, TomB enlightened us with the
    following:

    > I'm going to compile the latest version right now, and see for myself
    > (the Debian Etch package still has the export options where they always
    > were).

    Hmm, compiled 1.3.4 and noticed that the change pitch/speed effect are no
    longer there. That's a pity. Did they really remove those, or is there a
    way to compile them in or something?

  9. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:29:52 +0000, TomB enlightened us with the
    following:

    > Hmm, compiled 1.3.4 and noticed that the change pitch/speed effect are no
    > longer there. That's a pity. Did they really remove those, or is there a
    > way to compile them in or something?

    Yet another question self-answered: you have to use the option
    --with-soundtouch when running the configure script. I'm happy now

  10. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:51:33 +0000, ken scharf wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:58:04 +0000, ken scharf wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm running Gutsy. After recording a track in audacity I can't find
    >>> export mp3 OR export ogg in the file menu. It ONLY lets me export an
    >>> uncompressed file format. I have BOTH liblame0 and libogg0 packages
    >>> installed.
    >>>
    >>> I don't think audacity even has these export options compiled in,
    >>> because they aren't even GRAYED OUT in the menu, they plan AIN'T there!
    >>>
    >>> (They are in Debian etch btw!)

    >> I can export in mp3 and ogg in Kubuntu 7.04 and Audacity 1.2.6.
    >> Did you edit the preferences to find your MP3 and Ogg libraries? I'm using
    >> LAME 3.96.1. and had to locate the binaries for LAME but not for Ogg.
    >>

    > OK, I'm going to answer my own question here.
    > http://dai-videotutes.blogspot.com/2...exportmp3.html
    > Seems the turds at audacity.org have REMOVED the export options for ogg
    > and mp3 (and others) from the top level menu and HID them two levels
    > down. You now have to go into file, export, click on file folders and
    > then select the export type! This is so lame (pun not intended) and not
    > very obvious. Hope they update the documentation!!!!

    In 1.2.6 I go to File then on the drop down menu I have the options to
    export as WAV, OGG MP3 and Export Multiple. What version are you using?

  11. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:45:23 +0000, TomB wrote:

    > ken scharf wrote:
    >
    >> OK, I'm going to answer my own question here.
    >> http://dai-videotutes.blogspot.com/2...exportmp3.html
    >>
    >> Seems the turds at audacity.org have REMOVED the export options for ogg
    >> and mp3 (and others) from the top level menu and HID them two levels
    >> down. You now have to go into file, export, click on file folders and
    >> then select the export type! This is so lame (pun not intended) and not
    >> very obvious. Hope they update the documentation!!!!

    > Okay, that's a bit of a step back, but I stll wouldn't call the coders
    > "turds". After all they've provided us with an amazing piece of free
    > audio editing software...
    >
    > I'm going to compile the latest version right now, and see for myself
    > (the Debian Etch package still has the export options where they always
    > were).

    One little annoyance I get in Audacity 1.2.6 is when I go to open a file I
    get a pop up warning that says "Mailcap file /etc/mailcap, Line 1:
    Incomplete Entry Ignored" I say ok to the warning then the file selct box
    pops up. And this happens only once, subsequent file opens are ok until I
    restart Audacity. Got any idea what this is about?

  12. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    jebblue wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:51:33 +0000, ken scharf wrote:
    >
    >> Seems the turds at audacity.org have REMOVED the export options for ogg
    >> and mp3 (and others) from the top level menu and HID them two levels
    >> down. You now have to go into file, export, click on file folders and
    >> then select the export type! This is so lame (pun not intended) and not
    >> very obvious. Hope they update the documentation!!!!

    > They should be congratulated for producing a fine sound editing program
    > and the menus might take a little getting used to but they offer more
    > room for growth later and Gimp and others are doing similar things.
    >
    > Thanks for letting us know you got it working I was running a quick test
    > to be sure it was working here when I saw your new post.

    So far I do like the program, I was just a tad perturbed at the moment
    at their choice of how to modify the interface! I would have put the
    file type selection in the first level menu that you get to by clicking
    on 'export'. I can see how that would mean having to pass the file type
    down to the next level when you click 'browse' to find the file you wish
    to put the file in, but that is a simple enough programming task.

    So maybe 'turds' was too strong ... how about "what were they smoking
    when they designed that interface?"

    I wonder if Audacity can rip cd's as an import function. That would be
    nice.

  13. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    ken scharf wrote:
    > jebblue wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:51:33 +0000, ken scharf wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seems the turds at audacity.org have REMOVED the export options for ogg
    >>> and mp3 (and others) from the top level menu and HID them two levels
    >>> down. You now have to go into file, export, click on file folders and
    >>> then select the export type! This is so lame (pun not intended) and not
    >>> very obvious. Hope they update the documentation!!!!

    >> They should be congratulated for producing a fine sound editing
    >> program and the menus might take a little getting used to but they
    >> offer more room for growth later and Gimp and others are doing similar
    >> things.
    >>
    >> Thanks for letting us know you got it working I was running a quick
    >> test to be sure it was working here when I saw your new post.
    >>

    > So far I do like the program, I was just a tad perturbed at the moment
    > at their choice of how to modify the interface! I would have put the
    > file type selection in the first level menu that you get to by clicking
    > on 'export'. I can see how that would mean having to pass the file type
    > down to the next level when you click 'browse' to find the file you wish
    > to put the file in, but that is a simple enough programming task.
    >
    > So maybe 'turds' was too strong ... how about "what were they smoking
    > when they designed that interface?"
    >
    > I wonder if Audacity can rip cd's as an import function. That would be
    > nice.

    No. Use K3b.
    caver1

  14. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/musicvi...-audiocds.html

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  15. Re: audacity doesn't give option to export mp3 OR lame

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 18:36:47 +0000, ken scharf enlightened us with the
    following:

    > So maybe 'turds' was too strong ... how about "what were they smoking
    > when they designed that interface?"

    Must have been some sweet pot, 'cause 1.3.4 has some nifty new feats. And
    for the export function: once you know it works that way, it surely isn't
    an issue imho.

+ Reply to Thread