USB Printing ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on USB Printing ? - Ubuntu ; I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer there is no option for selecting a USB printer even ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. USB Printing ?

    I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.

    Z.K.

  2. Re: USB Printing ?

    Z.K. wrote:
    > I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    > USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    > there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    > is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >
    > Z.K.

    One thing I noticed is that on my other machine which is running Ubuntu
    7.10 the USB printer is detected just fine, but on this machine which is
    running Ubuntu Studio 7.10, the USB printer is not detected even if I
    reboot. Any ideas?

    Z.K.

  3. Re: USB Printing ?

    Z.K. wrote:
    > I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    > USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    > there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    > is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >
    > Z.K.

    I am not sure why, but the problem seems to be related to a particular
    PC. I used a Fedora 8 Live CD; just because it was laying around and on
    my newer PC which is a Gigabyte Intel P35 motherboard, the USB printer
    is detected just fine. On my older PC which is a Intel P4 motherboard
    though, it is not detected; both using the same live CD. Any ideas? Oh,
    the motherboard that the printer is not detected on is a ASUS P4C800
    Deluxe. I don't have any trouble using any other USB device such as a
    USB memory card device or a USB to IDE converter for a CD Drive and I
    don't have any trouble with this printer in Windows XP. This is a bit
    of a mystery though I would be the first to admit that I am not an
    expert with Linux.

    Z.K.

  4. Re: USB Printing ?

    Z.K. wrote:

    > On my older PC which is a Intel P4 motherboard
    > though, it is not detected; both using the same live CD. *Any ideas?

    If you connect the printer, and the printer is turned on, what does 'lsusb'
    show you?
    Have you tried different USB-ports on that mobo?

    de Kameel

  5. Re: USB Printing ?

    Z.K. wrote:

    > I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    > USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    > there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    > is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >
    > Z.K.

    Reboot your computer with the printer connected to USB and turned on. Then
    go and install. That's what I need to do with USB printers.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  6. Re: USB Printing ?

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:13:13 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    > USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    > there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    > is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >
    > Z.K.

    Try this in a shell window:

    # shake up the usb 2 driver
    sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    sleep 5
    sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    sleep 15

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  7. Re: USB Printing ?

    NoStop wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    >> USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    >> there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    >> is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > Reboot your computer with the printer connected to USB and turned on. Then
    > go and install. That's what I need to do with USB printers.
    >
    > Cheers.

    I tried that.

    Z.K.

  8. Re: USB Printing ?

    De Kameel wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> On my older PC which is a Intel P4 motherboard
    >> though, it is not detected; both using the same live CD. Any ideas?

    > If you connect the printer, and the printer is turned on, what does 'lsusb'
    > show you?
    > Have you tried different USB-ports on that mobo?
    >
    > de Kameel

    Yes, I have though other USB devices work just fine on the USB ports,
    just not a USB printer.

    Here is the output of my lsusb which does not even list the printer and
    as I have said before, it works just fine in windows xp or if using any
    other type of USB device besides a USB printer, but the USB printer is
    detected on a different PC with the same exact OS using a live CD.

    Is there a way to check if my kernel even has USB printing enabled? I
    would guess that it does being as new as it is, but I would like to
    check anyway.

    Z.K.

    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:08f0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messenger
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 007: ID 046d:c404 Logitech, Inc. TrackMan Wheel
    Bus 003 Device 006: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0557:7000 ATEN International Co., Ltd
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

  9. Re: USB Printing ?

    jebblue wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:13:13 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    >> USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    >> there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    >> is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > Try this in a shell window:
    >
    > # shake up the usb 2 driver
    > sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    > sleep 5
    > sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    > sleep 15

    Nope, still no luck. This is what I get when I try to add a printer.
    It searches for printers and then displays all the available connections
    types which are:

    Gutenprint Parallel Port #1
    Gutenprint Parallel Port #1
    LPT #1
    Windows Printer via SAMBA
    AppSocket/HP JetDirect
    Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
    LPD/LPR Host or Printer
    Other

    As you can see, there is no option for a USB printer as there is on my
    other PC. Also, I have listed below the output of lsusb.

    Z.K.

    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:08f0 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Messenger
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 007: ID 046d:c404 Logitech, Inc. TrackMan Wheel
    Bus 003 Device 006: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp.
    Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0557:7000 ATEN International Co., Ltd
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

  10. Re: USB Printing ?

    jebblue wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:13:13 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    >> USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    >> there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    >> is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > Try this in a shell window:
    >
    > # shake up the usb 2 driver
    > sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    > sleep 5
    > sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    > sleep 15

    Just as a test a thought I would try a suggestion on another USB port.
    I was using my front USB ports and I had tried both of them with no
    luck. So, I thought what the heck, I will try one of the rear USB
    ports. To my surprise, it worked and has detected the printer. Why
    would the front USB ports not work and the back ones would. I would
    think the hardware would be the same. This is just weird though I am
    glad it is working.

    Thanks everyone for all the help though and if anyone has any idea why
    my only my back USB ports that are built into the motherboard work and
    my others don't, I would like to know.

    Z.K.

  11. Re: USB Printing ?

    jebblue wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:13:13 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    >> USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    >> there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    >> is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > Try this in a shell window:
    >
    > # shake up the usb 2 driver
    > sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    > sleep 5
    > sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    > sleep 15

    I just tried some other USB ports in the back and the USB printer seems
    to only work in one specific USB port and not the others. Anyone know why?

    Z.K.

  12. Re: USB Printing ?

    Z.K. wrote:

    > jebblue wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:13:13 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    >>> USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    >>> there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    >>> is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Z.K.

    >> Try this in a shell window:
    >>
    >> # shake up the usb 2 driver
    >> sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    >> sleep 5
    >> sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    >> sleep 15
    >>

    > Just as a test a thought I would try a suggestion on another USB port.
    > I was using my front USB ports and I had tried both of them with no
    > luck. So, I thought what the heck, I will try one of the rear USB
    > ports. To my surprise, it worked and has detected the printer. Why
    > would the front USB ports not work and the back ones would. I would
    > think the hardware would be the same. This is just weird though I am
    > glad it is working.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for all the help though and if anyone has any idea why
    > my only my back USB ports that are built into the motherboard work and
    > my others don't, I would like to know.
    >
    > Z.K.

    Do the front ones work with other usb devices? It's very easy to get the
    plugs wrong from the front usb ports when sticking them on the mobo.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  13. Re: USB Printing ?

    Z.K. wrote:

    > jebblue wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:13:13 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was wondering if someone could tell me how do I tell if my kernel has
    >>> USB printing enabled? When I open up CUPS and try to add a printer
    >>> there is no option for selecting a USB printer even though the printer
    >>> is plugged in. I tried restarting CUPS, but still no luck.
    >>>
    >>> Z.K.

    >> Try this in a shell window:
    >>
    >> # shake up the usb 2 driver
    >> sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    >> sleep 5
    >> sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    >> sleep 15
    >>

    > Just as a test a thought I would try a suggestion on another USB port.
    > I was using my front USB ports and I had tried both of them with no
    > luck. So, I thought what the heck, I will try one of the rear USB
    > ports. To my surprise, it worked and has detected the printer. Why
    > would the front USB ports not work and the back ones would. I would
    > think the hardware would be the same. This is just weird though I am
    > glad it is working.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for all the help though and if anyone has any idea why
    > my only my back USB ports that are built into the motherboard work and
    > my others don't, I would like to know.
    >
    > Z.K.

    On my PC, the USB ports on the back are 'real' usb ports, the ones on the
    front use a built in usb hub.

    When I want to make backups, I have to connect my external HD in the back to
    have reasonable disk speed

    --
    MarcB

  14. Re: USB Printing ?

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:01:17 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > I just tried some other USB ports in the back and the USB printer seems
    > to only work in one specific USB port and not the others. Anyone know why?

    Chances are this is the only USB port in your PC that gets sufficient
    power. Boot into Windows XP and check the power given to each USB
    port in XP's device manager. It's likely you'll see differences.

  15. Re: USB Printing ?

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:00:01 +0000, Markus Diehl wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:01:17 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I just tried some other USB ports in the back and the USB printer seems
    >> to only work in one specific USB port and not the others. Anyone know why?

    > Chances are this is the only USB port in your PC that gets sufficient
    > power. Boot into Windows XP and check the power given to each USB
    > port in XP's device manager. It's likely you'll see differences.

    Actually, you can also check that in Ubuntu, just hook a USB device
    (e.g., an external hard disk) to each USB port in succession and
    check the amperage given to the respective port by your mothorboad.
    Click on menu System -> Preferences -> Hardware Information and scroll
    down to locate the relevant USB port. If you have hooked an external
    hard disk, look for the "External HDD entry and click on the
    "USB Mass Storage interface" just below it. On the right pane, click
    on the "USB" tab and check the amperage given in "Power Usage".
    Mine reads 2mA for an ordinary WD 320Gb USB "Book" hard disk.

  16. Re: USB Printing ?

    NoStop wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> jebblue wrote:

    >>> Try this in a shell window:
    >>>
    >>> # shake up the usb 2 driver
    >>> sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    >>> sleep 5
    >>> sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    >>> sleep 15
    >>>

    >> Just as a test a thought I would try a suggestion on another USB port.
    >> I was using my front USB ports and I had tried both of them with no
    >> luck. So, I thought what the heck, I will try one of the rear USB
    >> ports. To my surprise, it worked and has detected the printer. Why
    >> would the front USB ports not work and the back ones would. I would
    >> think the hardware would be the same. This is just weird though I am
    >> glad it is working.
    >>
    >> Thanks everyone for all the help though and if anyone has any idea why
    >> my only my back USB ports that are built into the motherboard work and
    >> my others don't, I would like to know.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > Do the front ones work with other usb devices? It's very easy to get the
    > plugs wrong from the front usb ports when sticking them on the mobo.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Yes, they are correct. I put this system together myself and besides
    the front ones work fine with say a USB Flash drive or any other type of
    USB device. I thought I had it working, but then after rebooting it
    would no longer recognize my USB printer. Thanks anyway though.

    Z.K.

  17. Re: USB Printing ?

    MarcB wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> jebblue wrote:

    >>> Try this in a shell window:
    >>>
    >>> # shake up the usb 2 driver
    >>> sudo modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    >>> sleep 5
    >>> sudo modprobe ehci_hcd
    >>> sleep 15
    >>>

    >> Just as a test a thought I would try a suggestion on another USB port.
    >> I was using my front USB ports and I had tried both of them with no
    >> luck. So, I thought what the heck, I will try one of the rear USB
    >> ports. To my surprise, it worked and has detected the printer. Why
    >> would the front USB ports not work and the back ones would. I would
    >> think the hardware would be the same. This is just weird though I am
    >> glad it is working.
    >>
    >> Thanks everyone for all the help though and if anyone has any idea why
    >> my only my back USB ports that are built into the motherboard work and
    >> my others don't, I would like to know.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > On my PC, the USB ports on the back are 'real' usb ports, the ones on the
    > front use a built in usb hub.
    >
    > When I want to make backups, I have to connect my external HD in the back to
    > have reasonable disk speed

    Interesting, I have never heard of that before. I have 4 internal USB
    connectors on my mother board aside from the those directly connected to
    the motherboard on the back plane. My front USB connectors are
    connected to one of the internal connectors. I did notice though a
    wakeup power jumper for the USB connectors; it might be I need to use
    that jumper to fix my problem though I don't have this problem in
    windows so I am a bit skeptical that this will work either.

    Z.K.

  18. Re: USB Printing ?

    Markus Diehl wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:01:17 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I just tried some other USB ports in the back and the USB printer seems
    >> to only work in one specific USB port and not the others. Anyone know why?

    > Chances are this is the only USB port in your PC that gets sufficient
    > power. Boot into Windows XP and check the power given to each USB
    > port in XP's device manager. It's likely you'll see differences.

    Unfortunately, that did not work either and after I rebooted the PC
    would no longer see it again. I find it hard to believe though that it
    is the hardware as it works fine in Windows XP as I have a dual boot
    machine.

    Z.K.

  19. Re: USB Printing ?

    "Z.K." wrote in message
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Z.K. wrote:

    >>> Just as a test a thought I would try a suggestion on another USB port.
    >>> I was using my front USB ports and I had tried both of them with no
    >>> luck. So, I thought what the heck, I will try one of the rear USB
    >>> ports. To my surprise, it worked and has detected the printer. Why
    >>> would the front USB ports not work and the back ones would. I would
    >>> think the hardware would be the same. This is just weird though I am
    >>> glad it is working.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks everyone for all the help though and if anyone has any idea why
    >>> my only my back USB ports that are built into the motherboard work and
    >>> my others don't, I would like to know.
    >>>
    >>> Z.K.

    >> Do the front ones work with other usb devices? It's very easy to get the
    >> plugs wrong from the front usb ports when sticking them on the mobo.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Yes, they are correct. I put this system together myself and besides the
    > front ones work fine with say a USB Flash drive or any other type of USB
    > device. I thought I had it working, but then after rebooting it would no
    > longer recognize my USB printer. Thanks anyway though.

    Check your MB specs to see if the front ones use a different controller.
    If they do it indicates a driver problem rather than a problem with the
    printing system.
    My MB uses different controllers for the front and rear connectors (4 built
    into the chipset and 6 on an additional controller IIRC).
    HTH.

  20. Re: USB Printing ?

    Markus Diehl wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:00:01 +0000, Markus Diehl wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:01:17 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just tried some other USB ports in the back and the USB printer seems
    >>> to only work in one specific USB port and not the others. Anyone know why?

    >> Chances are this is the only USB port in your PC that gets sufficient
    >> power. Boot into Windows XP and check the power given to each USB
    >> port in XP's device manager. It's likely you'll see differences.

    > Actually, you can also check that in Ubuntu, just hook a USB device
    > (e.g., an external hard disk) to each USB port in succession and
    > check the amperage given to the respective port by your mothorboad.
    > Click on menu System -> Preferences -> Hardware Information and scroll
    > down to locate the relevant USB port. If you have hooked an external
    > hard disk, look for the "External HDD entry and click on the
    > "USB Mass Storage interface" just below it. On the right pane, click
    > on the "USB" tab and check the amperage given in "Power Usage".
    > Mine reads 2mA for an ordinary WD 320Gb USB "Book" hard disk.

    Well I checked the USB ports as you suggested and most are running at
    100mA though one is 0mA and the one that the USB printer is using is
    2mA. That seems a bit low to me for some reason.

    Z.K.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast