Confused about which Ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Confused about which Ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server) would bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated....

  1. Confused about which Ubuntu

    I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server) would
    bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.

  2. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    "Homer" writes:

    > I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    > processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server) would
    > bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Well, it might be a good idea to suggest what it is you want to do with
    any form of Linux.

  3. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "Homer" writes:
    >
    >> I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    >> processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server)
    >> would
    >> bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    > Well, it might be a good idea to suggest what it is you want to do with
    > any form of Linux.

    I'd like to try it out, run applications etc. What else can you do with an
    OS? I've hear/read many pros/cons so I'd like to see for myself.

    Will the server do the same thing as the desktop?

    Can I run applications better with the server?

    Will the server utilize my two Opterons better than the desktop version?

    Which version runs better or should I ask which will benefit my purpose
    better?

    Which one is more difficult to run? Etc.....................

  4. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:54:41 -0500, Homer wrote:

    > I'd like to try it out, run applications etc. What else can you do with an
    > OS? I've hear/read many pros/cons so I'd like to see for myself.
    >
    > Will the server do the same thing as the desktop?

    Same application on server and desktop, yes.

    Change your mind set a little. In a nut shell,
    Server is for serving up data,files and programs to desktops.
    Desktop is for users to run applications some of which get
    their data/files from the server.

    In the interest of security, you want the least amount of desktop applications
    running on a server.

  5. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:31:10 -0500, "Homer"
    wrote:

    >I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    >processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server) would
    >bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    ===========
    If you have a high-speed internet connection you can download the
    32 bit and 64 bit versions and burn a "live CD" from the ISO
    image that will let you try each one out with no changes to your
    existing Windows system.
    click on
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

    As of 22 Dec 07 you want the 7.10 [standing for October 2007]
    release called "Gutsy Gibbon."
    For personal computer use more than likely you will want the
    Desktop edition with the graphical interface [like windows]. The
    server edition is command line oriented [like dos]

    Either the 32 bit or 64 bit version should run fine on your
    system, but you should be able to get a little extra performance
    with the 64 bit version, which unless you are making extreme
    demands on your computer, e.g. heavy/big graphics, you will most
    likely never notice.

    There are a huge number of packages you can add on to the basic
    o/s. One source of programs known to be fully compatible with
    Ubuntu is
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/

    Be sure and allow plenty of space in the Linux partition for the
    updates and programs you will want to download. If you are
    running the firefox browser on the windows side, be reminded you
    can download and install the FEBE extension on both the Linux and
    Windows versions and can transfer your bookmarks, etc. [watch the
    front / and back \ slashes]

    ==> Be reminded that after a successful install, Ubuntu Linux
    will want an internet connection to download the latest upgrades,
    extensions, security patches, etc. which can take some time to
    download and then even more time to install.

    Don't log in and operate as "root" or "superuser" [windows
    administrator] any more than you need to, as this defeats many of
    the built-in safety/security features. If other people operate
    your computer set up special "guest" accounts with limited
    privileges.

  6. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    "Homer" writes:

    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "Homer" writes:
    >>
    >>> I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    >>> processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server)
    >>> would
    >>> bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    >> Well, it might be a good idea to suggest what it is you want to do with
    >> any form of Linux.

    > I'd like to try it out, run applications etc. What else can you do with an
    > OS? I've hear/read many pros/cons so I'd like to see for myself.
    >
    > Will the server do the same thing as the desktop?

    No. Not if its the default server. But it can be updated to be/have a desktop too.

    > Can I run applications better with the server?

    What applications? if its a cut down server it will run server
    application "better" since there is no overhead from X and the window
    manager. But you wont really notice IMO.

    > Will the server utilize my two Opterons better than the desktop
    > version?

    Generally - No.

    > Which version runs better or should I ask which will benefit my purpose
    > better?

    You still haven't stated your purpose.

    > Which one is more difficult to run? Etc.....................

    Depends what you are doing on them.

  7. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    Homer wrote:
    > I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    > processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server) would
    > bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    If you have a fairly fast connection, downloading and burning one or
    more live cd distributions is the quickest way to get a feel for the
    product without any investment or disturbance to your current setup.
    After that you'll be in a better position to know how to proceed.
    Dave Cohen

  8. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    Homer wrote:
    > "Hadron" wrote in message
    >> "Homer" writes:
    >>
    >>> I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    >>> processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server)
    >>> would
    >>> bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.

    >> Well, it might be a good idea to suggest what it is you want to do with
    >> any form of Linux.

    > I'd like to try it out, run applications etc. What else can you do with an
    > OS? I've hear/read many pros/cons so I'd like to see for myself.
    >
    > Will the server do the same thing as the desktop?
    >
    > Can I run applications better with the server?
    >
    > Will the server utilize my two Opterons better than the desktop version?
    >
    > Which version runs better or should I ask which will benefit my purpose
    > better?
    >
    > Which one is more difficult to run? Etc.....................

    Are you aware of the Live CD version of Ubuntu? If not, read this brief
    explanation: after downloading a Live CD suitable for a computer with an
    already installed OS, burn it to a blank CD and boot up directly into
    that CD. It will allow you to test applications (but there is no place
    to save resulting documents, etc., just test making them), live wifi
    will allow connection to the web and testing of the default browser,
    navigating to files on your home OS will allow you to test default
    picture and movie file viewers, similarly for sound files, etc. After
    testing, you can install from that same live CD. It is advisable to
    consult FAQ'S and manuals available in Ubuntu Forums and print out what
    you need from your home computer before installing. Good luck. That was
    my introduction to Ubuntu.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  9. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    "F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 18:31:10 -0500, "Homer"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I would like to try Ubuntu. I have a server board with dual Opteron
    >>processors and I am not sure which flavor of Ubuntu (desktop/server) would
    >>bring most benefits to a newby. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    >>

    > ===========
    > If you have a high-speed internet connection you can download the
    > 32 bit and 64 bit versions and burn a "live CD" from the ISO
    > image that will let you try each one out with no changes to your
    > existing Windows system.
    > click on
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/
    >
    > As of 22 Dec 07 you want the 7.10 [standing for October 2007]
    > release called "Gutsy Gibbon."
    > For personal computer use more than likely you will want the
    > Desktop edition with the graphical interface [like windows]. The
    > server edition is command line oriented [like dos]
    >
    > Either the 32 bit or 64 bit version should run fine on your
    > system, but you should be able to get a little extra performance
    > with the 64 bit version, which unless you are making extreme
    > demands on your computer, e.g. heavy/big graphics, you will most
    > likely never notice.
    >
    > There are a huge number of packages you can add on to the basic
    > o/s. One source of programs known to be fully compatible with
    > Ubuntu is
    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/
    >
    > Be sure and allow plenty of space in the Linux partition for the
    > updates and programs you will want to download. If you are
    > running the firefox browser on the windows side, be reminded you
    > can download and install the FEBE extension on both the Linux and
    > Windows versions and can transfer your bookmarks, etc. [watch the
    > front / and back \ slashes]
    >
    > ==> Be reminded that after a successful install, Ubuntu Linux
    > will want an internet connection to download the latest upgrades,
    > extensions, security patches, etc. which can take some time to
    > download and then even more time to install.
    >
    > Don't log in and operate as "root" or "superuser" [windows
    > administrator] any more than you need to, as this defeats many of
    > the built-in safety/security features. If other people operate
    > your computer set up special "guest" accounts with limited
    > privileges.

    Thank you, and the rest who kindly responded. The solution of 2 live CD's
    makes sense. Thanks again to all of you.

  10. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    AV3 wrote:
    > Homer wrote:

    >> SNIPPED

    > Are you aware of the Live CD version of Ubuntu? If not, read this brief
    > explanation: after downloading a Live CD suitable for a computer with an
    > already installed OS, burn it to a blank CD and boot up directly into
    > that CD. It will allow you to test applications (but there is no place
    > to save resulting documents, etc.

    Yes you can, plug in a pen drive and you can save.

    And if you know what your doing with a liveCD you can mount and
    generally write to the installed hard drives. Exception been NTFS which
    might have changed lately.

    Ram

  11. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    Ram wrote:
    > AV3 wrote:
    >> Homer wrote:

    >>> SNIPPED

    >> Are you aware of the Live CD version of Ubuntu? If not, read this
    >> brief explanation: after downloading a Live CD suitable for a computer
    >> with an already installed OS, burn it to a blank CD and boot up
    >> directly into that CD. It will allow you to test applications (but
    >> there is no place to save resulting documents, etc.

    > Yes you can, plug in a pen drive and you can save.
    >
    > And if you know what your doing with a liveCD you can mount and
    > generally write to the installed hard drives. Exception been NTFS which
    > might have changed lately.

    Not having a pen drive, I have to assume you are right. As for other
    disks, I had two different external storage disks and my PPC hard disk
    showing up on the desk top of the Live CD, but I couldn't figure out how
    to assert/acquire the right to write to any of those disks. The storage
    disks didn't even have password protection.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

  12. Re: Confused about which Ubuntu

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 22:32:11 -0500
    AV3 wrote:

    > Not having a pen drive, I have to assume you are right. As for other
    > disks, I had two different external storage disks and my PPC hard disk
    > showing up on the desk top of the Live CD, but I couldn't figure out how
    > to assert/acquire the right to write to any of those disks. The storage
    > disks didn't even have password protection.

    I've not tried writing writing to any HDDs while on a LiveCD myself
    except to run fsck or gparted, both on ext3 paritions BTW I haven't
    touched any NTFS that way apart from the initial install, which
    resized one of them.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

+ Reply to Thread