Newbie - SWF install question? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Newbie - SWF install question? - Ubuntu ; Just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.10 and would like to get SWF working properly. First I attempted to do it from within Firefox 2.0.0.6 but that install didn't seem to work with this page: http://www.customizegoogle.com/movies/intro-flash.html I fiddled and ...

  1. Newbie - SWF install question?

    Just did a fresh install of Ubuntu 7.10 and would like to get SWF
    working properly.

    First I attempted to do it from within Firefox 2.0.0.6 but that install
    didn't seem to work with this page:

    http://www.customizegoogle.com/movies/intro-flash.html

    I fiddled and farted around a bit but still couldn't view the video so
    I thought I'd attempt the install using Synaptic,

    However, Synaptic advises that this change requires the removal of
    virtually everything on the system; starting with alacarte, and
    including compiz, all of gnome it looks like, firefox its-own-self and
    what also looks like either all or a good deal of the lib [library?]
    items, networking items, open office etc. etc. etc.

    This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. so perhaps someone with a
    bit more experience of Ubuntu could provide some advice?

    I'm guessing I should rip out the non-working install but the only item
    I can find via Applications/Add-Remove tool is the Gnash SWF viewer and
    I figure I gotta rip out the Flash install itself?

    I'd prefer to be able to fix this problem rather than nuke this install
    and start over. Thanks in advance for any pointers . . .
    --
    Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

    -- Publilius Syrus

  2. Re: Newbie - SWF install question?

    Hi Stede,

    I'm a newbie too and I'm still learning about Linux so I'm not the
    final authority. On the other hand, I got Totem (Movie
    Player/Gstreamer, not Movie Player/Xine) to play all of my assorted
    media formats and I got Firefox to play flash and SWF content. Let me
    tell you how that happened and perhaps my experience will help you.

    **********************************
    Totem (Movie Player/Gstreamer) to play all my media:

    Go to Applications > Add/Remove

    In the upper left corner box called Show: select "All Available
    Applications"

    Locate and complete the entire installation process for
    "Ubuntu Restricted Extras"

    A dialog box will appear telling you that installation was successfuly
    Press "Add/Remove More Applications"

    Locate and Install all remaining "Gstreamer" plugins

    **********************************
    Now you can play flash and swf on your computer (and many other formats
    too). But soon after that, I discovered that the Flash Player in Ubuntu
    Restricted Extras is outdated (WTF?!) and won't allow the Firefox
    browser to play flash or swf.

    **********************************
    Get new Flash Player:

    http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer
    You'll be redirected to the Adobe site. Download the "tar.gz" file.

    Put the tar.gz on your desktop, open the tar.gz, and find a file called
    "libflashplayer.so"

    When I tried to double click on the installer shell-script, I got an
    error concerning "chmod" and the installation failed, so I did it
    myself.

    Open a Nautilus window to your /home/ folder and View Hidden
    Files.

    Close Firefox

    Copy "libflashplayer.so" into the folder called
    /home/user/.mozilla/plugins

    Start Firefox and return to
    http://www.customizegoogle.com/movies/intro-flash.html or
    www.youtube.com to make sure that you can play the desired videos.

    **********************************
    I won't guaranteee your success with this method. but it worked for me.

    There are probably other ways of getting all these tasks done quicker
    and faster, and hopefully there will be other legitimate and helpful
    participants of this newsgroup (and not trolls) who jump here and offer
    their experience as well.

    Hope that helps Bro!

  3. Re: Newbie - SWF install question?

    Phil Buchman wrote:

    > Hi Stede,

    Merry Christmas Phil . . .

    > I'm a newbie too and I'm still learning about Linux so I'm not the final
    > authority. On the other hand, I got Totem (Movie Player/Gstreamer, not
    > Movie Player/Xine) to play all of my assorted media formats and I got
    > Firefox to play flash and SWF content. Let me tell you how that happened
    > and perhaps my experience will help you.

    . . . and thanks for the following responses:

    > Totem (Movie Player/Gstreamer) to play all my media:

    . . .

    > Get new Flash Player:

    . . .

    I'll give 'em both a rip when I can find some time to fiddle further
    with Ubuntu.

    I've also been following the 'Ubuntu Studio Flash problems' thread and
    the other threads related to Flash so I expect to have it sorted out
    somewhere down the line. B-]

    > I won't guaranteee your success with this method. but it worked for me.

    Thanks again, I'll update this thread after I've worked my way through
    the process.

    > There are probably other ways of getting all these tasks done quicker
    > and faster, and hopefully there will be other legitimate and helpful
    > participants of this newsgroup (and not trolls) who jump here and offer
    > their experience as well.

    > Hope that helps Bro!

    Yeah it does. I've actually used Edlin so I figure once I'm a bit more
    comfortable with Ubuntu the command line won't be quite the pain in the
    ass I've always found it to be - partly due to my inept typing skills, I
    gotta admit.

    Still, if I can discover a gui method around most problems that's my
    preferred solution,

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all in a.o.l.ubuntu, I've been
    lurking for a while but I gotta admit I've been mostly into the content
    so the personalities haven't really fizzed on me . . . yet:

    http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/pants.asp

    --
    Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

    -- Publilius Syrus

  4. Re: Newbie - SWF install question?

    > Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all in a.o.l.ubuntu

    Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you, Stede!

  5. Re: Newbie - SWF install question?

    In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Stede Bonnet had the audacity to say that:

    > I'd prefer to be able to fix this problem rather than nuke this install
    > and start over. Thanks in advance for any pointers . . .

    I've always had good luck dl'g and installing the binary from the official
    web site.

    *R* *H*
    --
    AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
    FEAR! FIRE! FOES!

  6. Re: Newbie - SWF install question?

    Rockinghorse Winner wrote:

    > In alt.os.linux.ubuntu, Stede Bonnet had the audacity to say that:

    >> I'd prefer to be able to fix this problem rather than nuke this install
    >> and start over. Thanks in advance for any pointers . . .

    > I've always had good luck dl'g and installing the binary from the official
    > web site.

    Yeah, thanks to you and Phil both. I ended up installing Flash and Java
    by downloading the tar files from the there and installing them via the
    command line.

    The only problem I ran into was the naming thing; the path wanted
    "Firefox' not 'Mozilla' to work properly.

    Happy New Year to y'all and thanks again.
    --
    Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

    -- Publilius Syrus

+ Reply to Thread