Gutsy at last - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Gutsy at last - Ubuntu ; So I went into #ubuntu+1 to see if I could get someone to make sure my sound problem got fixed in hardy. After some fooling around, it turns out that the master control doesn't do anything, but the pcm control ...

  1. Gutsy at last

    So I went into #ubuntu+1 to see if I could get someone to make sure my
    sound problem got fixed in hardy. After some fooling around, it turns
    out that the master control doesn't do anything, but the pcm control
    does. So I ctrl-clicked pcm in sound preferences so my laptop
    buttons would control it and it worked.

    So I reinstalled gutsy to see if the same solution worked and it did.
    Goodbye feisty, you served me well.

    However, it seems that "Master" is poorly named. Shouldn't it control
    everything including PCM? *Something* needs to be done because this is
    an extra step I have to take after install to get sound working
    properly.

  2. Re: Gutsy at last

    Evil Bert wrote:
    > So I went into #ubuntu+1 to see if I could get someone to make sure my
    > sound problem got fixed in hardy. After some fooling around, it turns
    > out that the master control doesn't do anything, but the pcm control
    > does. So I ctrl-clicked pcm in sound preferences so my laptop
    > buttons would control it and it worked.
    >
    > So I reinstalled gutsy to see if the same solution worked and it did.
    > Goodbye feisty, you served me well.
    >
    > However, it seems that "Master" is poorly named. Shouldn't it control
    > everything including PCM? *Something* needs to be done because this is
    > an extra step I have to take after install to get sound working
    > properly.

    Wondered how to do that, thanks. Worked for me, too :-)

    Alias

  3. Re: Gutsy at last

    Evil Bert wrote:

    > So I went into #ubuntu+1 to see if I could get someone to make sure my
    > sound problem got fixed in hardy. After some fooling around, it turns
    > out that the master control doesn't do anything, but the pcm control
    > does. So I ctrl-clicked pcm in sound preferences so my laptop
    > buttons would control it and it worked.
    >
    > So I reinstalled gutsy to see if the same solution worked and it did.
    > Goodbye feisty, you served me well.
    >
    > However, it seems that "Master" is poorly named. Shouldn't it control
    > everything including PCM? *Something* needs to be done because this is
    > an extra step I have to take after install to get sound working
    > properly.

    Those adjustments are very much dependent on the sound driver being used.
    Some soundcards will have their volumes controlled by "master" while others
    require "pcm". That's why you don't see it working by default on different
    chipsets.

    Cheers.

    --
    Try Ubuntu ...
    http://www.ubuntu.com

  4. Re: Gutsy at last

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:45:38 -0800, Evil Bert wrote:

    > So I went into #ubuntu+1 to see if I could get someone to make sure my
    > sound problem got fixed in hardy. After some fooling around, it turns
    > out that the master control doesn't do anything, but the pcm control
    > does. So I ctrl-clicked pcm in sound preferences so my laptop buttons
    > would control it and it worked.
    >
    > So I reinstalled gutsy to see if the same solution worked and it did.
    > Goodbye feisty, you served me well.
    >
    > However, it seems that "Master" is poorly named. Shouldn't it control
    > everything including PCM? *Something* needs to be done because this is
    > an extra step I have to take after install to get sound working
    > properly.

    Nope, Master is correctly named. It controls the very final volume after
    all the inputs have been processed and everything mixed together.

    However, if you have Master set to 50% and PCM set to 0%, well 50% of 0%
    is still 0%.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: Gutsy at last

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:27:51 GMT
    NoStop wrote:

    > Those adjustments are very much dependent on the sound driver being
    > used. Some soundcards will have their volumes controlled by "master"
    > while others require "pcm". That's why you don't see it working by
    > default on different chipsets.

    Those adjustments may make sense at a hardware level, but not at a
    human level, which I believe ubuntu is still targeting.

    If some chipsets are controlled by X and some by Y (and even some by
    Z), those should either be wrapped in a fake controller called Master
    that controls them ALL, or not one of them should have the name Master.

  6. Re: Gutsy at last

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:26:48 +0100
    Alias wrote:

    > Wondered how to do that, thanks. Worked for me, too :-)

    Careful. For some reason, you have to do it twice. Once in
    gnome-sound-properties and once in the volume control in the
    notification area on the panel.

    I don't understand why they're disjoint but someone in irc said
    something about multiple sound cards.

  7. Re: Gutsy at last

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:19:46 -0600
    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:45:38 -0800, Evil Bert wrote:
    > > However, it seems that "Master" is poorly named. Shouldn't it
    > > control everything including PCM? *Something* needs to be done
    > > because this is an extra step I have to take after install to get
    > > sound working properly.

    > Nope, Master is correctly named. It controls the very final volume
    > after all the inputs have been processed and everything mixed
    > together.

    Okay, that makes a bit more sense.

  8. Re: Gutsy at last

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > Nope, Master is correctly named. It controls the very final volume
    > after all the inputs have been processed and everything mixed
    > together.
    >
    > However, if you have Master set to 50% and PCM set to 0%, well 50% of
    > 0% is still 0%.

    No, wait a minute. If PCM is at 50% and Master is muted, should I get
    sound? I would think not and so Master is broken in gutsy (and so far
    hardy).

    On my gutsy system (and hardy), the master control does *nothing*. At
    all.

    In what you describe, turning master up and down should still regulate
    the volume, with 100% being whatever PCM is set at. It doesn't do that.

  9. Re: Gutsy at last

    Evil Bert wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:27:51 GMT
    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Those adjustments are very much dependent on the sound driver being
    >> used. Some soundcards will have their volumes controlled by "master"
    >> while others require "pcm". That's why you don't see it working by
    >> default on different chipsets.

    > Those adjustments may make sense at a hardware level, but not at a
    > human level, which I believe ubuntu is still targeting.
    >
    > If some chipsets are controlled by X and some by Y (and even some by
    > Z), those should either be wrapped in a fake controller called Master
    > that controls them ALL, or not one of them should have the name Master.

    OK, you have a point. But as it stands now it takes a minute to figure out.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  10. Re: Gutsy at last

    Evil Bert wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:26:48 +0100
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Wondered how to do that, thanks. Worked for me, too :-)

    > Careful. For some reason, you have to do it twice. Once in
    > gnome-sound-properties and once in the volume control in the
    > notification area on the panel.
    >
    > I don't understand why they're disjoint but someone in irc said
    > something about multiple sound cards.

    I only have one on board sound card and doing it in the sound properties
    did it. On another computer, I have a Genius sound card and both the
    Master and the PCM will lower or raise the volume.

    Alias

  11. Re: Gutsy at last

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:40:25 -0800, Evil Bert wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:19:46 -0600
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> Nope, Master is correctly named. It controls the very final volume
    >> after all the inputs have been processed and everything mixed together.
    >>
    >> However, if you have Master set to 50% and PCM set to 0%, well 50% of
    >> 0% is still 0%.

    > No, wait a minute. If PCM is at 50% and Master is muted, should I get
    > sound? I would think not and so Master is broken in gutsy (and so far
    > hardy).
    >
    > On my gutsy system (and hardy), the master control does *nothing*. At
    > all.
    >
    > In what you describe, turning master up and down should still regulate
    > the volume, with 100% being whatever PCM is set at. It doesn't do that.

    Hmm, that does sound broken then to me as well. Seems to be soundcard
    specific though as I actually don't even have a master slider on mine.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  12. Re: Gutsy at last

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:40:25 -0800, Evil Bert wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:19:46 -0600
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nope, Master is correctly named. It controls the very final volume
    >>> after all the inputs have been processed and everything mixed together.
    >>>
    >>> However, if you have Master set to 50% and PCM set to 0%, well 50% of
    >>> 0% is still 0%.

    >> No, wait a minute. If PCM is at 50% and Master is muted, should I get
    >> sound? I would think not and so Master is broken in gutsy (and so far
    >> hardy).
    >>
    >> On my gutsy system (and hardy), the master control does *nothing*. At
    >> all.
    >>
    >> In what you describe, turning master up and down should still regulate
    >> the volume, with 100% being whatever PCM is set at. It doesn't do that.

    > Hmm, that does sound broken then to me as well. Seems to be soundcard
    > specific though as I actually don't even have a master slider on mine.

    As I already said earlier in this thread, it is soundcard specific. Depends
    on the drivers/soundcard being used.

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  13. Re: Gutsy at last

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:43:25 GMT
    NoStop wrote:

    > >> In what you describe, turning master up and down should still
    > >> regulate the volume, with 100% being whatever PCM is set at. It
    > >> doesn't do that.

    > > Hmm, that does sound broken then to me as well. Seems to be
    > > soundcard specific though as I actually don't even have a master
    > > slider on mine.
    > >

    > As I already said earlier in this thread, it is soundcard specific.
    > Depends on the drivers/soundcard being used.

    Unfortunately, Edgy and Feisty weren't broken like this.

  14. Re: Gutsy at last

    On 2007-12-21, Evil Bert hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >> > Hmm, that does sound broken then to me as well. Seems to be
    >> > soundcard specific though as I actually don't even have a master
    >> > slider on mine.
    >> >

    >> As I already said earlier in this thread, it is soundcard specific.
    >> Depends on the drivers/soundcard being used.

    > Unfortunately, Edgy and Feisty weren't broken like this.

    Here with my Soundblaster Live 5.1 I can control "Master"
    "PCM" as well as "WAVE". But I'm not sure if this is just
    me....

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."

  15. Re: Gutsy at last

    Evil Bert wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:26:48 +0100
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Wondered how to do that, thanks. Worked for me, too :-)

    > Careful. For some reason, you have to do it twice. Once in
    > gnome-sound-properties and once in the volume control in the
    > notification area on the panel.
    >
    > I don't understand why they're disjoint but someone in irc said
    > something about multiple sound cards.

    Same prob here, master doesn't do anything with volume, pcm does but my
    laptop's volume buttons control master. Anyone an idea on how to do it in
    KDE?

    Thanks,
    Marc

  16. Re: Gutsy at last

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:01:07 +0000 (UTC)
    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-12-21, Evil Bert hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > >> As I already said earlier in this thread, it is soundcard specific.
    > >> Depends on the drivers/soundcard being used.

    > > Unfortunately, Edgy and Feisty weren't broken like this.

    > Here with my Soundblaster Live 5.1 I can control "Master"
    > "PCM" as well as "WAVE". But I'm not sure if this is just
    > me....

    I have Master & PCM on my laptop (HP Pavilion 6000 series
    Intel/Connexant sound chip). The volume control above the keyboard
    works as well.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  17. Sound problems in Gutsy (7.10)

    I am relatively new to Ubuntu compared to RedHat. I did something to my
    sound configuration, I am not sure what. I was using the Totem movie
    player when the sound stopped. I tried the sound preferences tool. I
    tried clicking on Master, it turns orange, but nothing else happens.
    The instructions are quite clear "Select the device and tracks to
    control with
    the keyboard. Use the shift and control keys to select multiple tracks
    if required". I figured out that I can select
    a track or multiple tracks but I don't see the next step.

    I rebooted under RedHat, and the sound works fine, so I know that the
    problem is a software problem under Ubuntu.

    I found a VT-100 style program called /usr/bin/alsamixer which I can
    manipulate but it does not seem to help.

    There is a program under applications -> other -> sound which says

    Installed drivers: type 10: ALSA emulation
    Card Config: VIA 8235 with ALC650F at 0xe400, irq 21
    Audio devices:
    0: VIA 8235 (DUPLEX)
    Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG.

    Midi device: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

    Timers:
    31: system timer
    Mixers:
    0: Realtek ALC650F

    I found another clue: when I attempt to start the gnome-sound-properties
    program with sudo, I get a message that says "Unable to start the
    settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'. Without the GNOME settings
    manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This could
    indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE) settings
    manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME settings
    manager".

    I installed kruler this evening - could that have... done something...
    to my machine?

    How do I go about diagnosing this?

    Many thanks,

    Jeff