Ubuntu Studio Flash problems - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu Studio Flash problems - Ubuntu ; I installed Ubuntu studio, but I can seem to install Adobe flash player. I tried doing it manually by converting the rpm to a deb, but still it does not help. So, I installed the gnome flash player, but still ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

  1. Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    I installed Ubuntu studio, but I can seem to install Adobe flash player.
    I tried doing it manually by converting the rpm to a deb, but still
    it does not help. So, I installed the gnome flash player, but still it
    will not work with flash. I tried both Firefox and Opera, and both of
    them do not work.

  2. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:09:16 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > I installed Ubuntu studio, but I can seem to install Adobe flash player.
    > I tried doing it manually by converting the rpm to a deb, but still
    > it does not help. So, I installed the gnome flash player, but still it
    > will not work with flash. I tried both Firefox and Opera, and both of
    > them do not work.


    From a terminal, type the following:

    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

    And post the output of it here. I have a guess at what is wrong, but I
    want to see the output first, before confusing anyone...



    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  3. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Joe wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:09:16 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Ubuntu studio, but I can seem to install Adobe flash player.
    >> I tried doing it manually by converting the rpm to a deb, but still
    >> it does not help. So, I installed the gnome flash player, but still it
    >> will not work with flash. I tried both Firefox and Opera, and both of
    >> them do not work.

    >
    > From a terminal, type the following:
    >
    > sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
    > sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    >
    > And post the output of it here. I have a guess at what is wrong, but I
    > want to see the output first, before confusing anyone...
    >
    >
    >

    Just installed Gutsy on a new laptop and I found that the
    flashplugin-nonfree package no longer works. It created the correct
    folders but did not get anything from the adobe site. I had to download
    the tar.gz file from their site and run the install script. This worked
    ok and I noticed that the plugin version was r115 whereas on my desktop
    machine it is r48. I don't know if it is this change that has broken the
    nonfree package.

  4. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:24:48 +0000, Ian Pawson wrote:

    > Joe wrote:
    >> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:09:16 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed Ubuntu studio, but I can seem to install Adobe flash
    >>> player.
    >>> I tried doing it manually by converting the rpm to a deb, but still
    >>> it does not help. So, I installed the gnome flash player, but still
    >>> it will not work with flash. I tried both Firefox and Opera, and both
    >>> of them do not work.

    >>
    >> From a terminal, type the following:
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree sudo apt-get install
    >> flashplugin-nonfree
    >>
    >> And post the output of it here. I have a guess at what is wrong, but I
    >> want to see the output first, before confusing anyone...
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Just installed Gutsy on a new laptop and I found that the
    > flashplugin-nonfree package no longer works. It created the correct
    > folders but did not get anything from the adobe site. I had to download
    > the tar.gz file from their site and run the install script. This worked
    > ok and I noticed that the plugin version was r115 whereas on my desktop
    > machine it is r48. I don't know if it is this change that has broken the
    > nonfree package.


    It is, indeed. Adobe changed the version, which causes the md5sum check
    to fail in the package. There is a solution on the Ubuntu Forums:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645159


    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  5. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Joe wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:09:16 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> I installed Ubuntu studio, but I can seem to install Adobe flash player.
    >> I tried doing it manually by converting the rpm to a deb, but still
    >> it does not help. So, I installed the gnome flash player, but still it
    >> will not work with flash. I tried both Firefox and Opera, and both of
    >> them do not work.

    >
    > From a terminal, type the following:
    >
    > sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree
    > sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    >
    > And post the output of it here. I have a guess at what is wrong, but I
    > want to see the output first, before confusing anyone...
    >
    >
    >


    Ok, well here is part of the output.

    22:37:06 (341.18 KB/s) - `./install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz' saved
    [3036127/3036127]

    Download done.
    md5sum mismatch install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    The Flash plugin is NOT installed.

    So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a previous
    version and why would the gnome flash player not install either. Is
    there a fix for this problem.

    Z.K.

  6. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 06:41:00 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > Joe wrote:
    >> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:09:16 +0000, Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> I installed Ubuntu studio, but I can seem to install Adobe flash
    >>> player.
    >>> I tried doing it manually by converting the rpm to a deb, but still
    >>> it does not help. So, I installed the gnome flash player, but still
    >>> it will not work with flash. I tried both Firefox and Opera, and both
    >>> of them do not work.

    >>
    >> From a terminal, type the following:
    >>
    >> sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree sudo apt-get install
    >> flashplugin-nonfree
    >>
    >> And post the output of it here. I have a guess at what is wrong, but I
    >> want to see the output first, before confusing anyone...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > Ok, well here is part of the output.
    >
    > 22:37:06 (341.18 KB/s) - `./install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz' saved
    > [3036127/3036127]
    >
    > Download done.
    > md5sum mismatch install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz The Flash plugin is
    > NOT installed.
    >
    > So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a previous
    > version and why would the gnome flash player not install either. Is
    > there a fix for this problem.
    >
    > Z.K.


    It is possible. You just need to follow the directions here:

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=645159

    Be sure to uninstall the one you have there now, first, then follow the
    directions carefully. It will walk you through creating a new .deb, and
    installing it.



    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  7. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Z.K. wrote:

    > So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a previous
    > version and why would the gnome flash player not install either. Is
    > there a fix for this problem.


    Just get the damn install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz from adobe's site:

    (watch the line wrap)

    Then decompress the tar file:
    tar -zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz

    It'll create a new directory with files inside. Copy the
    libflashplayer.so file to ~/.mozilla/plugins
    Create the (plugins) directory if it isn't there.

    Restart Firefox. Where's the problem?

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  8. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a previous
    >> version and why would the gnome flash player not install either. Is
    >> there a fix for this problem.

    >
    > Just get the damn install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz from adobe's site:
    >
    >
    > (watch the line wrap)
    >
    > Then decompress the tar file:
    > tar -zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    >
    > It'll create a new directory with files inside. Copy the
    > libflashplayer.so file to ~/.mozilla/plugins
    > Create the (plugins) directory if it isn't there.
    >
    > Restart Firefox. Where's the problem?
    >

    Exactly - worked fine for me.

  9. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >
    >> So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a previous
    >> version and why would the gnome flash player not install either. Is
    >> there a fix for this problem.

    >
    > Just get the damn install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz from adobe's site:
    >
    >
    > (watch the line wrap)
    >
    > Then decompress the tar file:
    > tar -zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    >
    > It'll create a new directory with files inside. Copy the
    > libflashplayer.so file to ~/.mozilla/plugins
    > Create the (plugins) directory if it isn't there.
    >
    > Restart Firefox. Where's the problem?
    >

    Well, I am sure that it probably would work, but I prefer to use the
    official version if at all possible; less likely to break something that
    way.

    Z.K.

  10. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Z.K. wrote:
    > Well, I am sure that it probably would work, but I prefer to use the
    > official version if at all possible; less likely to break something that
    > way.


    That's hilarious. The way you explain things, it seems things are pretty
    broken, already. _Officially_ broken.

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  11. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Z.K. wrote:
    > johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >> Z.K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a previous
    >>> version and why would the gnome flash player not install either. Is
    >>> there a fix for this problem.

    >>
    >> Just get the damn install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz from adobe's site:
    >>
    >>
    >> (watch the line wrap)
    >>
    >> Then decompress the tar file:
    >> tar -zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    >>
    >> It'll create a new directory with files inside. Copy the
    >> libflashplayer.so file to ~/.mozilla/plugins
    >> Create the (plugins) directory if it isn't there.
    >>
    >> Restart Firefox. Where's the problem?
    >>

    > Well, I am sure that it probably would work, but I prefer to use the
    > official version if at all possible; less likely to break something that
    > way.
    >
    > Z.K.

    But the 'official' version just fetches the file from the adobe site and
    installs it - you are just doing exactly the same thing manually.

  12. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >> Well, I am sure that it probably would work, but I prefer to use the
    >> official version if at all possible; less likely to break something
    >> that way.

    >
    > That's hilarious. The way you explain things, it seems things are pretty
    > broken, already. _Officially_ broken.
    >


    Perhaps that is so, but your way does not work either. Yes, it works for
    firefox, but it will not work with other browsers such as opera. I
    tried it.

    Z.K.

  13. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Ian Pawson wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>> Z.K. wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a previous
    >>>> version and why would the gnome flash player not install either. Is
    >>>> there a fix for this problem.
    >>> Just get the damn install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz from adobe's site:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> (watch the line wrap)
    >>>
    >>> Then decompress the tar file:
    >>> tar -zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    >>>
    >>> It'll create a new directory with files inside. Copy the
    >>> libflashplayer.so file to ~/.mozilla/plugins
    >>> Create the (plugins) directory if it isn't there.
    >>>
    >>> Restart Firefox. Where's the problem?
    >>>

    >> Well, I am sure that it probably would work, but I prefer to use the
    >> official version if at all possible; less likely to break something that
    >> way.
    >>
    >> Z.K.

    > But the 'official' version just fetches the file from the adobe site and
    > installs it - you are just doing exactly the same thing manually.


    Now I thought Ubuntu uses *.deb packages. If it did just fetch the one
    from the adobe site would it not have to convert it first or if not than
    why does adobe not offer a *.deb version or are you saying Ubuntu
    installs the official *.gz version. At least your explanation is a lot
    better than what some others have said.

    Z.K.

  14. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Z.K. wrote:
    > Perhaps that is so, but your way does not work either. Yes, it works for
    > firefox, but it will not work with other browsers such as opera. I
    > tried it.


    Flash and Opera is broken:
    http://my.opera.com/community/forums....dml?id=203032


    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  15. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    Z.K. wrote:
    > Now I thought Ubuntu uses *.deb packages. If it did just fetch the one
    > from the adobe site would it not have to convert it first


    Don't you read your own posts. You wrote this yourself:

    > Ok, well here is part of the output.
    >
    > 22:37:06 (341.18 KB/s) - `./install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz' saved
    > [3036127/3036127]
    >
    > Download done.
    > md5sum mismatch install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz


    You can see right there, that Ubuntu gets the
    install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz for its own install.


    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  16. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:23:18 +0000, Z.K. wrote:

    > Ian Pawson wrote:
    >> Z.K. wrote:
    >>> johnny bobby bee wrote:
    >>>> Z.K. wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> So, if this cannot be installed, is it possible to install a
    >>>>> previous version and why would the gnome flash player not install
    >>>>> either. Is there a fix for this problem.
    >>>> Just get the damn install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz from adobe's
    >>>> site:
    >>>> <http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?

    P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&ogn=EN_US-gntray_dl_getflashplayer>
    >>>>
    >>>> (watch the line wrap)
    >>>>
    >>>> Then decompress the tar file:
    >>>> tar -zxvf install_flash_player_9_linux.tar.gz
    >>>>
    >>>> It'll create a new directory with files inside. Copy the
    >>>> libflashplayer.so file to ~/.mozilla/plugins Create the (plugins)
    >>>> directory if it isn't there.
    >>>>
    >>>> Restart Firefox. Where's the problem?
    >>>>
    >>> Well, I am sure that it probably would work, but I prefer to use the
    >>> official version if at all possible; less likely to break something
    >>> that way.
    >>>
    >>> Z.K.

    >> But the 'official' version just fetches the file from the adobe site
    >> and installs it - you are just doing exactly the same thing manually.

    >
    > Now I thought Ubuntu uses *.deb packages. If it did just fetch the one
    > from the adobe site would it not have to convert it first or if not than
    > why does adobe not offer a *.deb version or are you saying Ubuntu
    > installs the official *.gz version. At least your explanation is a lot
    > better than what some others have said.
    >
    > Z.K.


    Due to restrictions in the Adobe license, it would not be legal for
    *anyone*, including Ubuntu, to re-distribute the flash player. Adobe
    does not make a deb file for it. Therefore, the Ubuntu solution for
    putting flash in the package manager is to have the package that they
    build download the tar.gz file from the adobe site.

    BUT, when Adobe releases an update, they simply replace the version
    available on the site. They do not keep old versions individually
    available. What this means to Ubuntu is that it downloads the current
    version, which may or may not be the version that was there when they
    created the MD5sum comparison. If the source changes, the security file
    changes, and the package fails.

    In the 32 Bit Ubuntu world, it is perfectly fine to just download and
    install from the Adobe site. It works. In the 64 Bit world, it is a
    little more complex, since Adobe does not make a 64 Bit flash player. In
    this case, the Ubuntu package also installs a wrapper to allow the 32 Bit
    version to run.




    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    "Hate is baggage, life is too short to go around pissed off all the
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > Z.K. wrote:
    >> Perhaps that is so, but your way does not work either. Yes, it works
    >> for firefox, but it will not work with other browsers such as opera.
    >> I tried it.

    >
    > Flash and Opera is broken:
    > http://my.opera.com/community/forums....dml?id=203032
    >
    >




    Do the same thing for Opera. put the flash pluggin
    in Operas pluggin folder.
    Works fine here. Using Gutsy.
    caver1

  18. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    caver1 wrote:
    > Do the same thing for Opera. put the flash pluggin
    > in Operas pluggin folder.
    > Works fine here. Using Gutsy.


    Not sure how it's working for you. Consider yourself lucky. I've tried
    everything, I get nothing but a grey box in place of the flash
    animation. I've given up on Opera.

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

  19. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> Do the same thing for Opera. put the flash pluggin in Operas pluggin
    >> folder.
    >> Works fine here. Using Gutsy.

    >
    > Not sure how it's working for you. Consider yourself lucky. I've tried
    > everything, I get nothing but a grey box in place of the flash
    > animation. I've given up on Opera.
    >




    Well I guess I am going to have to eat crow.
    Flash was working fine in Opera and Gutsy until
    this morning. I let it Upgrade to Opera 9.25
    and now nothing works. If I go to a page that uses
    alot of flash Opera just freezes.
    I guess thats what I get for upgrading.
    I was having trouble with FF on one site with
    flash so I tried it with Opera and everything
    worked fine.
    Now to go back one step in Opera.
    caver1

  20. Re: Ubuntu Studio Flash problems

    caver1 wrote:
    > alot of flash Opera just freezes.


    Welcome to the club. Opera and Flash 9, no go. Not yet.

    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

+ Reply to Thread