Ubuntu install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu install - Ubuntu ; Hello, I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a registry defrag program.. Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Ubuntu install

    Hello,

    I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a
    registry defrag program..

    Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit
    'enter' to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons
    all work and pop up with the appropriate info, but the install
    does nothing. Now, I did leave the broken Windows version on the
    computer. From what I read, Ubuntu should install even with a Widows
    operating system intact? What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks,

    ST

  2. Re: Ubuntu install

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:44:36 -0600, ST wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a
    > registry defrag program..
    >
    > Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    > successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    > showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit 'enter'
    > to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons all work and
    > pop up with the appropriate info, but the install does nothing. Now, I
    > did leave the broken Windows version on the computer. From what I read,
    > Ubuntu should install even with a Widows operating system intact? What
    > am I doing wrong?

    Are you sure you have a good CD image? Can you run Ubuntu from the CD?

  3. Re: Ubuntu install

    On 2007-12-20, Stephen J. Rush wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:44:36 -0600, ST wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a
    >> registry defrag program..
    >>
    >> Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    >> successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    >> showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit 'enter'
    >> to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons all work and
    >> pop up with the appropriate info, but the install does nothing. Now, I
    >> did leave the broken Windows version on the computer. From what I read,
    >> Ubuntu should install even with a Widows operating system intact? What
    >> am I doing wrong?

    > Are you sure you have a good CD image? Can you run Ubuntu from the CD?

    By the look of it the OP has the alternative version CD. So he can not run
    Ubuntu from it

  4. Re: Ubuntu install

    > Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    > successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    > showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit
    > 'enter' to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons
    > all work and pop up with the appropriate info, but the install
    > does nothing. Now, I did leave the broken Windows version on the
    > computer. From what I read, Ubuntu should install even with a Widows
    > operating system intact? What am I doing wrong?

    If it starts doing "something" then stops once you press Enter, it
    could be that it doesn't like something in your hardware - there may
    be a way around it, but you might need to google for "unbuntu" plus
    the model number of your laptop.

    As others have said, it might also be worth checking you're on the
    right download version.

  5. Re: Ubuntu install

    ST wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a
    > registry defrag program..
    >
    > Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    > successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    > showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit
    > 'enter' to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons
    > all work and pop up with the appropriate info, but the install
    > does nothing. Now, I did leave the broken Windows version on the
    > computer. From what I read, Ubuntu should install even with a Widows
    > operating system intact? What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ST

    You're probably better off using the liveCD install iso. Go back to Ubuntu
    and download that iso. The alternative install cd is fine if you already
    know Ubuntu will run with your hardware. The way to really tell is to run
    the liveCD and if all your hardware works, you can just install from an
    icon on the liveCD's desktop.

    As to the cd you got there, did you do a md5sum to make sure you got a good
    download in the first place?

    Cheers.

    --
    Try Ubuntu ...
    http://www.ubuntu.com

  6. Re: Ubuntu install

    In article , NoStop
    wrote:

    > ST wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a
    > > registry defrag program..
    > >
    > > Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    > > successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    > > showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit
    > > 'enter' to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons
    > > all work and pop up with the appropriate info, but the install
    > > does nothing. Now, I did leave the broken Windows version on the
    > > computer. From what I read, Ubuntu should install even with a Widows
    > > operating system intact? What am I doing wrong?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > ST

    > You're probably better off using the liveCD install iso. Go back to Ubuntu
    > and download that iso. The alternative install cd is fine if you already
    > know Ubuntu will run with your hardware. The way to really tell is to run
    > the liveCD and if all your hardware works, you can just install from an
    > icon on the liveCD's desktop.
    >
    > As to the cd you got there, did you do a md5sum to make sure you got a good
    > download in the first place?
    >
    > Cheers.

    A new Toshiba laptop, huh...it's thrashed, throw it out. In fact, you
    can send it to me I'll dispose of it for you.

  7. Re: Ubuntu install

    ST wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a
    > registry defrag program..
    >
    > Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    > successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    > showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit
    > 'enter' to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons
    > all work and pop up with the appropriate info, but the install
    > does nothing. Now, I did leave the broken Windows version on the
    > computer. From what I read, Ubuntu should install even with a Widows
    > operating system intact? What am I doing wrong?

    The CD boot up menu includes an option to 'Check the CD' This is
    useful because it can act as a catch all for problems, downloading,
    burning, and not least, the ability of the CD drive to actually read
    all of the CD correctly. Worth doing under these circumstances to
    eliminate some possible problems.
    --
    ac

  8. Re: Ubuntu install

    brian wrote:

    > In article , NoStop
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ST wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I have a newer Toshiba laptop with Windows XP that was trashed due to a
    >> > registry defrag program..
    >> >
    >> > Long story short, I decided to try Linux and downloaded Ubuntu. I
    >> > successfully burned it to a CD. When I booted up I got a screen that
    >> > showed a variety of options including start-install. When I hit
    >> > 'enter' to begin the installation nothing happens. The 'F' buttons
    >> > all work and pop up with the appropriate info, but the install
    >> > does nothing. Now, I did leave the broken Windows version on the
    >> > computer. From what I read, Ubuntu should install even with a Widows
    >> > operating system intact? What am I doing wrong?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > ST

    >> You're probably better off using the liveCD install iso. Go back to
    >> Ubuntu and download that iso. The alternative install cd is fine if you
    >> already know Ubuntu will run with your hardware. The way to really tell
    >> is to run the liveCD and if all your hardware works, you can just install
    >> from an icon on the liveCD's desktop.
    >>
    >> As to the cd you got there, did you do a md5sum to make sure you got a
    >> good download in the first place?
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > A new Toshiba laptop, huh...it's thrashed, throw it out. In fact, you
    > can send it to me I'll dispose of it for you.

    Why are you replying to me? I don't have a Toshiba laptop. Are Mac users
    always this dumb?

    Cheers.

    --
    Boot It Up!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-kql8cWqiv8

  9. Re: Ubuntu install

    NoStop wrote:
    > brian wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> A new Toshiba laptop, huh...it's thrashed, throw it out. In fact,
    >> you can send it to me I'll dispose of it for you.

    > Why are you replying to me? I don't have a Toshiba laptop. Are
    > Mac users always this dumb?

    No, but without making such suitable assumptions he will seriously
    impede his chances of receiving a new Toshiba. :-)

    Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.

  10. Re: Ubuntu install

    In article , NoStop
    wrote:

    > brian wrote:
    >
    > > In article , NoStop
    > > wrote:

    > >> You're probably better off using the liveCD install iso. Go back to
    > >> Ubuntu and download that iso. The alternative install cd is fine if you
    > >> already know Ubuntu will run with your hardware. The way to really tell
    > >> is to run the liveCD and if all your hardware works, you can just install
    > >> from an icon on the liveCD's desktop.
    > >>
    > >> As to the cd you got there, did you do a md5sum to make sure you got a
    > >> good download in the first place?
    > >>
    > >> Cheers.

    > > A new Toshiba laptop, huh...it's thrashed, throw it out. In fact, you
    > > can send it to me I'll dispose of it for you.

    > Why are you replying to me? I don't have a Toshiba laptop. Are Mac users
    > always this dumb?
    >
    > Cheers.

    I didn't realize I did that, sorry. I'm also sorry you can't seem to
    find your sense of humor.

  11. Re: Ubuntu install

    brian writes:

    > In article , NoStop
    > wrote:
    >
    >> brian wrote:

    >> > A new Toshiba laptop, huh...it's thrashed, throw it out. In fact, you
    >> > can send it to me I'll dispose of it for you.

    >> Why are you replying to me? I don't have a Toshiba laptop. Are Mac users
    >> always this dumb?
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > I didn't realize I did that, sorry. I'm also sorry you can't seem to
    > find your sense of humor.

    Don't worry, NoStop is normally worse. He's just doing his bit for Linux
    advocacy but tempering it a bit with his natural good natured side as a
    nod towards Christmas Spirit.

  12. Re: Ubuntu install

    On 2007-12-21, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:

    >> I didn't realize I did that, sorry. I'm also sorry you
    >> can't seem to find your sense of humor.

    > Don't worry, NoStop is normally worse. He's just doing his
    > bit for Linux advocacy but tempering it a bit with his

    Strange, you don't take the "wintrolls" or "mactrolls" to task for
    that, when they spam this "help-group" with OT posts how their OS's
    are soooooo much better then *Ubuntu.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."

  13. Re: Ubuntu install

    "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    news:slrnfmo3le.9vp.Dragomir@Slivowitz.invalid.org ...
    > On 2007-12-21, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >

    >>> I didn't realize I did that, sorry. I'm also sorry you
    >>> can't seem to find your sense of humor.

    >> Don't worry, NoStop is normally worse. He's just doing his
    >> bit for Linux advocacy but tempering it a bit with his

    > Strange, you don't take the "wintrolls" or "mactrolls" to task for
    > that, when they spam this "help-group" with OT posts how their OS's
    > are soooooo much better then *Ubuntu.
    >

    > Dragomir Kollaric
    > --
    > Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    > produces a 200 fpm descent."
    > Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

    NoStop is a linux troll ... and a plagiarist.
    There is nothing sacred about Linux groups...welcome to Usenet.
    Happy Kwanza

  14. Re: Ubuntu install

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:14:06 -0500
    "forty-nine" <49@linux.p-u> wrote:

    > NoStop is a linux troll ... and a plagiarist.
    > There is nothing sacred about Linux groups...welcome to Usenet.
    > Happy Kwanza

    Funny, I've not come across NoStop in a Windows group.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  15. Error Messages

    For Dragomir:

    >> Dragomir Kollaric
    >> --
    >> Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    >> produces a 200 fpm descent."
    >> Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

    Found in a USAF C-5A maintenance log after a test flight over 20 years
    ago: "IFF will not work in OFF mode."

    Cheers!

    Ed

  16. Re: Error Messages

    On 2007-12-21, Night0wl hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > For Dragomir:
    >
    >>> Dragomir Kollaric
    >>> --
    >>> Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    >>> produces a 200 fpm descent."
    >>> Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

    > Found in a USAF C-5A maintenance log after a test flight over 20 years
    > ago: "IFF will not work in OFF mode."

    As I'm no Pilot, do you have any idea what is meant by IFF?

    > Cheers!
    >
    > Ed

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  17. Re: Error Messages

    "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    news:slrnfmo8ui.9vp.Dragomir@Slivowitz.invalid.org ...
    > On 2007-12-21, Night0wl hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> For Dragomir:

    >> Found in a USAF C-5A maintenance log after a test flight over 20 years
    >> ago: "IFF will not work in OFF mode."

    > As I'm no Pilot, do you have any idea what is meant by IFF?
    >

    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Dragomir Kollaric
    > --
    > Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    > produces a 200 fpm descent."
    > Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

    Indentify Friend or Foe

  18. Re: Error Messages

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:36:34 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >> Found in a USAF C-5A maintenance log after a test flight over 20 years
    >> ago: "IFF will not work in OFF mode."

    > As I'm no Pilot, do you have any idea what is meant by IFF?

    Does it really matter? Very few devices work when they are in OFF mode.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  19. Re: Error Messages

    Identify Friend or Foe
    "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    news:slrnfmo8ui.9vp.Dragomir@Slivowitz.invalid.org ...
    > On 2007-12-21, Night0wl hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> For Dragomir:

    >> Found in a USAF C-5A maintenance log after a test flight over 20 years
    >> ago: "IFF will not work in OFF mode."

    > As I'm no Pilot, do you have any idea what is meant by IFF?
    >

    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Dragomir Kollaric
    > --
    > Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    > produces a 200 fpm descent."
    > Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  20. Re: Ubuntu install

    Hadron wrote:

    > brian writes:
    >
    >> In article , NoStop
    >> wrote:

    >>> Why are you replying to me? I don't have a Toshiba laptop. Are Mac users
    >>> always this dumb?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> I didn't realize I did that, sorry. I'm also sorry you can't seem to
    >> find your sense of humor.

    > Don't worry, NoStop is normally worse. He's just doing his bit for Linux
    > advocacy but tempering it a bit with his natural good natured side as a
    > nod towards Christmas Spirit.

    Now that's funny. LOL :-)

    Cheers and have a Very Merry Xmas Hadron.

    --
    Try Ubuntu ...
    http://www.ubuntu.com

+ Reply to Thread