Ubuntu install - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu install - Ubuntu ; On Friday 21 Dec 2007 8:36 pm, Dragomir Kollaric wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu: > On 2007-12-21, Night0wl hit the keyboard and wrote: >> For Dragomir: >> >>>> Dragomir Kollaric >>>> -- >>>> Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode >>>> produces a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: Error Messages

    On Friday 21 Dec 2007 8:36 pm, Dragomir Kollaric wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 2007-12-21, Night0wl hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> For Dragomir:

    >> Found in a USAF C-5A maintenance log after a test flight over 20 years
    >> ago: "IFF will not work in OFF mode."

    > As I'm no Pilot, do you have any idea what is meant by IFF?

    Dunno about the USAF, but the Royal Air Force is "Identification, Friend or Foe"

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  2. Re: Ubuntu install

    On Friday 21 Dec 2007 7:06 pm, Dragomir Kollaric wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On 2007-12-21, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >

    >>> I didn't realize I did that, sorry. I'm also sorry you
    >>> can't seem to find your sense of humor.

    >> Don't worry, NoStop is normally worse. He's just doing his
    >> bit for Linux advocacy but tempering it a bit with his

    > Strange, you don't take the "wintrolls" or "mactrolls" to task for
    > that, when they spam this "help-group" with OT posts how their OS's
    > are soooooo much better then *Ubuntu.

    Of course he won't. Quack is a wintroll, as he pushes how much better M$ is than
    linux whenever he can.
    As an example:-

    The great majority of Windows application SW
    is eons better than it's OSS copy or alternative.

    From: Hadron
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Subject: Re: Welcome the $191.99 GNU/Linux PC
    Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007
    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3
    Linux systems: Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" amd64,
    Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007.

  3. Re: Error Messages

    On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:06:07 -0600
    Joe wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:36:34 +0000, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    > >> Found in a USAF C-5A maintenance log after a test flight over 20 years
    > >> ago: "IFF will not work in OFF mode."

    > > As I'm no Pilot, do you have any idea what is meant by IFF?

    > Does it really matter? Very few devices work when they are in OFF mode.

    With the exception of Vista's automatic updates :-(

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  4. Re: Ubuntu install

    "forty-nine" <49@linux.p-u> wrote in message news:fkh39g$mjj$1@aioe.org...
    > "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfmo3le.9vp.Dragomir@Slivowitz.invalid.org ...

    >>> Don't worry, NoStop is normally worse. He's just doing his
    >>> bit for Linux advocacy but tempering it a bit with his

    >> Strange, you don't take the "wintrolls" or "mactrolls" to task for
    >> that, when they spam this "help-group" with OT posts how their OS's
    >> are soooooo much better then *Ubuntu.
    >>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric
    >> --
    >> Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    >> produces a 200 fpm descent."
    >> Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

    > NoStop is a linux troll ... and a plagiarist.
    > There is nothing sacred about Linux groups...welcome to Usenet.
    > Happy Kwanza

    here we go again. just stop it will ya.

  5. Re: Ubuntu install

    On 2007-12-22, ian lincoln hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > "forty-nine" <49@linux.p-u> wrote in message news:fkh39g$mjj$1@aioe.org...
    >> "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    >> news:slrnfmo3le.9vp.Dragomir@Slivowitz.invalid.org ...

    >>> Strange, you don't take the "wintrolls" or "mactrolls" to task for
    >>> that, when they spam this "help-group" with OT posts how their OS's
    >>> are soooooo much better then *Ubuntu.
    >>>

    >>> Dragomir Kollaric
    >>> --
    >>> Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    >>> produces a 200 fpm descent."
    >>> Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

    >> NoStop is a linux troll ... and a plagiarist.
    >> There is nothing sacred about Linux groups...welcome to Usenet.

    It has gone down the drain in the ten years or so I read/post to it,
    thanks to *all* kind of trolls/spammers etc.etc.

    The language and the behavior of many people was much more polite.
    At least in the few groups I started to read.

    >> Happy Kwanza

    > here we go again. just stop it will ya.

    I silently put 49 after his first week being here into my
    kill-file as another win-troll.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  6. Re: Error Messages

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:27:00 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    >> Does it really matter? Very few devices work when they are in
    >> OFF mode.

    > With the exception of Vista's automatic updates :-(

    LOL! So true!

    --
    Chris Game

    "Everything that can be said can be said clearly."
    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

  7. Re: Error Messages

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:27:00 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:06:07 -0600
    > Joe wrote:

    >> > As I'm no Pilot, do you have any idea what is meant by IFF?

    >> Does it really matter? Very few devices work when they are in OFF
    >> mode.

    > With the exception of Vista's automatic updates :-(

    Make that ALL M$ auto updates. My W2k server and my daughters' XP
    machines all update at infrequent intervals, even with auto-update turned
    off. My server tried to do it earlier this evening, and I halted it
    again.

    Cheers
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

  8. Re: Error Messages

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:27:00 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > With the exception of Vista's automatic updates :-(

    True dat...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  9. Re: Error Messages

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:11:46 +0000 (UTC)
    Night0wl wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:27:00 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:06:07 -0600
    > > Joe wrote:

    > >> Does it really matter? Very few devices work when they are in OFF
    > >> mode.

    > > With the exception of Vista's automatic updates :-(

    > Make that ALL M$ auto updates. My W2k server and my daughters' XP
    > machines all update at infrequent intervals, even with auto-update turned
    > off. My server tried to do it earlier this evening, and I halted it
    > again.

    That would explain a few things then...

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  10. Re: Error Messages

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:27:44 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:11:46 +0000 (UTC) Night0wl
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:27:00 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    >> > With the exception of Vista's automatic updates :-(

    >> Make that ALL M$ auto updates. My W2k server and my daughters' XP
    >> machines all update at infrequent intervals, even with auto-update
    >> turned off. My server tried to do it earlier this evening, and I
    >> halted it again.

    > That would explain a few things then...

    Like...?

    Cheers;
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.

  11. Re: Error Messages

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:03:35 +0000 (UTC)
    Night0wl wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:27:44 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:11:46 +0000 (UTC) Night0wl
    > > wrote:

    > >> Make that ALL M$ auto updates. My W2k server and my daughters' XP
    > >> machines all update at infrequent intervals, even with auto-update
    > >> turned off. My server tried to do it earlier this evening, and I
    > >> halted it again.

    > > That would explain a few things then...

    > Like...?

    Things like our StarTeam server needing a restart because it cannot
    connect to the SQL Server (would happen if SQL Server rebooted),
    overnight backups not completing, etc.

    When I go to log onto some of these servers they have the audacity to
    ask me why they were unexpectedly shut down, I reckon that's a "yes, I
    installed updates last night, now I'm whistling innocently to throw you
    off the track".

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

  12. Re: Error Messages

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:25:06 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:03:35 +0000 (UTC) Night0wl
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:27:44 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:

    >> > That would explain a few things then...

    >> Like...?

    > Things like our StarTeam server needing a restart because it cannot
    > connect to the SQL Server (would happen if SQL Server rebooted),
    > overnight backups not completing, etc.

    It would, indeed. Two sets of circumstances alerted me to this insidious
    problem back in August:

    First, my W2K server, which I only update/upgrade manually, went down and
    tried to reboot. I have both auto-update and reboot disabled (no NTLDR
    in the boot path, intentionally) to catch these sorts of things. The same
    morning, my boss, I, and two of my daughters woke to find our XP laptops
    (on 24/7), and also with auto updates disabled, rebooted and awaiting log-
    ins. It was an odd day -- a Thursday, too...

    And secondly, about a week later, both /. and InformationWeek ran very
    brief on-line nods to M$ experimenting with forced updates -- that they'd
    done one in April/07, and another in August/07. I cannot find even the
    barest reference to those articles now, but I can tell you that we were
    four VERY pissed-off individuals. The three of them now now no longer
    leave their XP machines on over night, and they manually check for
    upgrades when they need. The fourth one, Me: I only leave on my Linux
    laptop 24/7 now, And, I'm looking to replace my W2K server with a Linux
    server. I'm extremely tired of the crap.

    > When I go to log onto some of these servers they have the audacity to
    > ask me why they were unexpectedly shut down, I reckon that's a "yes, I
    > installed updates last night, now I'm whistling innocently to throw you
    > off the track".

    Exactly. And, any calls or emails to M$ on the subject are met with the
    same whistling, hands behind backs, and looking up, around, or anywhere,
    except at the questioner... What does that tell you?

    Cheers;
    Ed
    --
    History is three men in a room agreeing to a lie.
    Democracy is two lions and a lamb voting on lunch.

  13. Re: Error Messages

    Night0wl writes:

    > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:25:06 +0000, Trevor Best wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:03:35 +0000 (UTC) Night0wl
    >> wrote:

    >>> Like...?

    >> Things like our StarTeam server needing a restart because it cannot
    >> connect to the SQL Server (would happen if SQL Server rebooted),
    >> overnight backups not completing, etc.

    > It would, indeed. Two sets of circumstances alerted me to this insidious
    > problem back in August:
    >
    > First, my W2K server, which I only update/upgrade manually, went down and
    > tried to reboot. I have both auto-update and reboot disabled (no NTLDR
    > in the boot path, intentionally) to catch these sorts of things. The same
    > morning, my boss, I, and two of my daughters woke to find our XP laptops
    > (on 24/7), and also with auto updates disabled, rebooted and awaiting log-
    > ins. It was an odd day -- a Thursday, too...

    What were you and your two daughters and your boss doing waking up
    together? :-;

    > And secondly, about a week later, both /. and InformationWeek ran very
    > brief on-line nods to M$ experimenting with forced updates -- that they'd
    > done one in April/07, and another in August/07. I cannot find even the
    > barest reference to those articles now, but I can tell you that we
    > were

    Hmmm.

    > four VERY pissed-off individuals. The three of them now now no longer
    > leave their XP machines on over night, and they manually check for

    "over night"? One mans night is another mans day.

    > upgrades when they need. The fourth one, Me: I only leave on my Linux
    > laptop 24/7 now, And, I'm looking to replace my W2K server with a Linux
    > server. I'm extremely tired of the crap.

    YOu seem to have had a badly configured system. You should fire your sys
    admin. These systems do not update critical SW unless you allow them
    to. Millions of people throughout the whole world uses these servers too
    without these undocumented nightmares which tend to crop up here.

    >> When I go to log onto some of these servers they have the audacity to
    >> ask me why they were unexpectedly shut down, I reckon that's a "yes, I
    >> installed updates last night, now I'm whistling innocently to throw you
    >> off the track".

    Sure. Never seen that myself.

    > Exactly. And, any calls or emails to M$ on the subject are met with the
    > same whistling, hands behind backs, and looking up, around, or anywhere,
    > except at the questioner... What does that tell you?

    That you should be posting this in COLA or an MS related newsgroup and
    not here? Or that you need to hire a sys admin who actually knows what
    he is doing. Hint : letting Linux devotees administrate Windows systems
    is NOT a good idea. He will be able to run the most rock solid Linux
    servers but will probably purposely shag up the Windows ones to say
    "see! I told you Windows was ****e". He would have been only partially
    correct.

  14. Re: Error Messages

    On 2007-12-24, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Millions of people throughout the whole world uses these
    > servers too without these undocumented nightmares which
    > tend to crop up here.

    And of course *YOU* WILL know the experiences of these
    *millions* of people? ROTFLWTIME..... You must be God or
    something.....

    Some people I know don't even bother to complain to "MS"
    about the problems they encounter, or if they do and run a
    older OS then they are told to "invest" in a newer PC with a
    newer OS. Why should the guys fix the "micrphone" input
    problem my friend has with the "Milennium" Edition, when
    they can sell a "new" OS for a few hundred "Euros"?

    Dragomir Kollaric