VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner - Ubuntu ; Novatech are selling these 35mm slide and negative scanners for £64.95. http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?VEH-VFS001 I was wondering if anyone has used these under Ubuntu Linux? It says it's for XP and Vista, neither of which I have (I have 98 and ME). ...

  1. VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  2. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    Phil Stovell wrote:

    > Novatech are selling these 35mm slide and negative scanners for £64.95.
    >
    > http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?VEH-VFS001
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone has used these under Ubuntu Linux? It says it's
    > for XP and Vista, neither of which I have (I have 98 and ME).

    Their FAQ suggests they are are working on a driver for OSX ("coming soon"),
    so maybe they'll work on one for Linux too? Why don't you contact them and
    tell them your buying decision is based on their support for Linux?

    http://www.veho-uk.com/index.php?f=DisplayFAQs&t=FAQs

    Cheers.

    --
    Try Ubuntu ...
    http://www.ubuntu.com

  3. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    Phil Stovell wrote:

    > Novatech are selling these 35mm slide and negative scanners for 64.95.
    >
    > http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?VEH-VFS001
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone has used these under Ubuntu Linux? It says it's
    > for XP and Vista, neither of which I have (I have 98 and ME).

    Is it supported by Vuescan (not free but good and cheap)? Vuescan works
    under both linux and windows.

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

  4. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:19:37 +0000, Martin wrote:

    > There is an email you could try should you need additional assistance then
    > please email their technical support at technical@veho-uk.com

    Thanks, I've e-mailed them.

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  5. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:07:19 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:

    > One of these arrived here yesterday, though it will be not available for
    > testing until next week ;-) but then I'll try it with a couple of distros
    > including Ubuntu (gutsy) so if you can wait until then..!

    That would be great, thank you very much!

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  6. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Phil Stovell wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:07:19 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> One of these arrived here yesterday, though it will be not
    >> available for testing until next week ;-) but then I'll try it with
    >> a couple of distros including Ubuntu (gutsy) so if you can wait
    >> until then..!

    > That would be great, thank you very much!

    Not looking good, I get

    usb 4-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5

    under mandriva (2007) and something similar with ubuntu gutsy and that's about it
    xsane gives me no devices detected, anything else I could try?

    I see that the manual suggests
    'for supper in the UK email technical@...'
    :-)

    Works ok with XP, will put a scan somewhere net accessible if reqd

    Robert
    --
    La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
    Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:36:27 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:07:19 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >>> One of these arrived here yesterday, though it will be not available
    >>> for testing until next week ;-) but then I'll try it with a couple of
    >>> distros including Ubuntu (gutsy) so if you can wait until then..!

    >> That would be great, thank you very much!
    >>

    > Not looking good, I get
    >
    > usb 4-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5 usb 4-8:
    > configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    >
    > under mandriva (2007) and something similar with ubuntu gutsy and that's
    > about it xsane gives me no devices detected, anything else I could try?

    Do you have the libsane-extras package installed?

    > I see that the manual suggests
    > 'for supper in the UK email technical@...'
    > :-)

    I emailed technical@ about Linux support, but didn't get a reply (or any
    supper).

    > Works ok with XP, will put a scan somewhere net accessible if reqd
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks for trying, looks like that scanner is off the list :-(.

    What's the quality like?

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  8. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Phil Stovell wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:36:27 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:

    [on trying the VEHO with flavours of Linux]
    >> Not looking good, I get
    >>
    >> usb 4-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5 usb
    >> 4-8: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    >>
    >> under mandriva (2007) and something similar with ubuntu gutsy and
    >> that's about it xsane gives me no devices detected, anything else I
    >> could try?

    > Do you have the libsane-extras package installed?

    I do - under ubuntu - this is on a HP laptop but I doubt if that
    aspect has much of an effect

    Let us know if you do hear anything back from support!

    >> Works ok with XP, will put a scan somewhere net accessible if reqd
    >>

    > Thanks for trying, looks like that scanner is off the list :-(.
    >
    > What's the quality like?

    Not bad, some of the skies are a bit iffy (or the originals!) but maybe that's me being
    impatient, I've tagged the scans under flickr here

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1674393...ags/slidescan/

    I see that today's Guardian is advertising something incredibly like it for 99.99 ;-)

    Robert
    --
    La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
    Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:50:49 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:36:27 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:
    >>

    > [on trying the VEHO with flavours of Linux]
    >>> Not looking good, I get
    >>>
    >>> usb 4-8: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5 usb
    >>> 4-8: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    >>>
    >>> under mandriva (2007) and something similar with ubuntu gutsy and
    >>> that's about it xsane gives me no devices detected, anything else I
    >>> could try?

    >> Do you have the libsane-extras package installed?
    >>

    > I do - under ubuntu - this is on a HP laptop but I doubt if that aspect
    > has much of an effect
    >
    > Let us know if you do hear anything back from support!

    Will do - but I'm not hopeful.

    >>> Works ok with XP, will put a scan somewhere net accessible if reqd
    >>>

    >> Thanks for trying, looks like that scanner is off the list :-(.
    >>
    >> What's the quality like?
    >>

    > Not bad, some of the skies are a bit iffy (or the originals!) but maybe
    > that's me being impatient, I've tagged the scans under flickr here
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/1674393...ags/slidescan/

    They look quite good to me.

    > I see that today's Guardian is advertising something incredibly like it
    > for 99.99 ;-)
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks once again, Robert.

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  10. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Phil Stovell wrote:

    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:50:49 +0000, Robert Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> Not bad, some of the skies are a bit iffy (or the originals!) but
    >> maybe that's me being impatient, I've tagged the scans under flickr
    >> here
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/1674393...ags/slidescan/

    > They look quite good to me.

    Thank you! I obviously chose ones which were on the better side - that
    was a bit silly of me - I've now added a few less good ones, though
    some of these - particularly the dawn one - were a bit challenging

    When scanning with it you have to watch it carefully as it keeps on
    altering the colour mix (or whatever) and sometimes it goes too far
    and gets too dark or sometimes washed out!

    Robert
    --
    La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau
    Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: VEHO VFS-001 Film Scanner

    Reply to my e-mail to technical at veho-uk.com, enquiring if there are
    Linux drivers available:

    There is no official veho driver for this operating system.

    Thank you for your support in veho...