At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum. - Ubuntu ; I wish I could claim that for my 32 and 64 Ubu installs. I get a nice 1st time suspend and resume, and then subsequent attempts give the 'black screen'. This is so foolish on a non-exotic desktop....

  1. At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum.

    I wish I could claim that for my 32 and 64 Ubu installs.

    I get a nice 1st time suspend and resume, and then subsequent attempts give
    the 'black screen'.

    This is so foolish on a non-exotic desktop.

  2. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum.

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:17:41 -0500, Bob H wrote:

    > I wish I could claim that for my 32 and 64 Ubu installs.
    >
    > I get a nice 1st time suspend and resume, and then subsequent attempts give
    > the 'black screen'.
    >
    > This is so foolish on a non-exotic desktop.

    I have a laptop that had XP on it and it wouldn't resume after suspend.
    Had to press the off button and hold it down until it shut down then
    restart it.

  3. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, adinfinitum.

    "Bob H" wrote:

    > I wish I could claim that for my 32 and 64 Ubu installs.
    >
    > I get a nice 1st time suspend and resume, and then subsequent
    > attempts give the 'black screen'.
    >
    > This is so foolish on a non-exotic desktop.

    You're right. I suppose you should just go back to XP and stop wasting
    your time with this silly Linux stuff.

    --
    ~/.signature

  4. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, adinfinitum.

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:17:41 -0500, Bob H wrote:

    > This is so foolish on a non-exotic desktop.

    Because Unlike your other OS, Linux never goes to sleep :-)
    Can you give some more info on your hardware? I have a 64 bit HP without
    a problem.

    --
    :-)

  5. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, adinfinitum.

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:07:17 -0500, Meat Plow wrote:

    > I have a laptop that had XP on it and it wouldn't resume after suspend.
    > Had to press the off button and hold it down until it shut down then
    > restart it.

    Agreed, this fails the majority of the time on XP on any machine I've
    tried it on.

    --
    // This is my opinion.

  6. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum.

    "Al Arduengo" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:17:41 -0500
    > "Bob H" wrote:
    >
    >> I wish I could claim that for my 32 and 64 Ubu installs.
    >>
    >> I get a nice 1st time suspend and resume, and then subsequent
    >> attempts give the 'black screen'.
    >>
    >> This is so foolish on a non-exotic desktop.
    >>

    > You're right. I suppose you should just go back to XP and stop wasting
    > your time with this silly Linux stuff.
    >
    > --
    > ~/.signature

    Don't spin off in a tizzy; I've already done that.

  7. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum.

    "Holz" wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:17:41 -0500, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> This is so foolish on a non-exotic desktop.

    > Because Unlike your other OS, Linux never goes to sleep :-)
    > Can you give some more info on your hardware? I have a 64 bit HP without
    > a problem.
    >

    > --
    > :-)

    Here it is more or less. I appreciate you willingness. I've tried multiple
    suspend//resumes using both the 'free' and nVidia drivers, same result (all
    Gutsy). The network card is a PCI Netgear (I think), since Windows wouldn't
    suspend with the onboard hardware enabled.

    The strangest part is I can get a perfect suspend//resume only once after a
    fresh boot. It's like some config file gets re-written after the resume.
    Behaviour is consistent over multiple installs. The system locks with a
    black screen.

    I've tried other stuff like some recommended changes in xconf (?), but the
    situation does not change. I think it's some hardware not perfectly aligned
    with Linux. Probably a no-go for another couple years until it gets sorted
    out on a wider basis.

    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model 965P-DS3
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 2.70GHz, 2 Core(s), 2
    Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F12, 5/28/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Model WDC WD1600JS-00NCB1 ATA Device
    Total Physical Memory 2,045.88 MB
    Name Gateway FPD2185W TFT LCD Monitor
    Name NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
    Name Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2 ATA Device
    Name Realtek High Definition Audio
    Description Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard (which
    Ubuntu works nicely with)
    Hardware Type Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

    All the hardware works great with Gutsy, minus the suspend//resume issue.
    The multi-tasking is so much smoother, and system pauses are rare.

  8. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, adinfinitum.

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:51:36 -0500, Bob H wrote:

    > out on a wider basis.

    Sorry for the delay, but n, I found no solution. Seems to be a know
    problem and n resolution.

    --
    :-)

  9. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum.

    On 22 Dec 2007 04:14:10 GMT, Holz wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:51:36 -0500, Bob H wrote:
    >
    >> out on a wider basis.

    > Sorry for the delay, but n, I found no solution. Seems to be a know
    > problem and n resolution.

    Hi-

    I definitely understand the frustration. I have a T43 thinkpad which
    I've been experimenting with quite a bit of late. Main problem I have
    is that suspends work perfectly but resumes often result in a black
    screen. I've found a few things on my laptop which have helped though
    lessen the occurences of failed suspends/resumes which don't involve
    putting XP back on. Here are a few for your consideration:

    1) I installed uswsusp only to find that it did not have s2ram in the
    ubuntu package. I installed the one from Debian Lenny instead. I then
    changed the hal suspend and hibernate scripts to only call s2ram and
    s2disk respectively. These scripts are:

    /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux
    /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux

    For the hibernate one, I simply backed up the original file and removed
    all the stuff and just put in s2disk. For the suspend, I put in s2ram.

    2) I had a problem with screensavers either of gnome or the X variety. I
    removed both packages. The gnome screensaver I think caused my T43 to
    blank out and not come back if I left it alone for some period of time.

    3) I ensured that the /etc/uswsusp.conf called the swap
    partition by its /dev/ name and not the UUID.

    4) I edited the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and ensured it had
    the correct swap UUID label. Surprise! Mine did not.

    5) I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and added in:

    Section Device

    Option "VBERestore" "true"

    I also added in:

    Section "ServerLayout"

    Option "BlankTime" "15"
    Option "StandbyTime" "30"
    # Option "SuspendTime" "45"
    # Option "OffTime" "10"

    I'm still playing around with the last two options a bit so I tend to
    comment them out and restart X and then try things.

    Other steps I had to take which may be related or not...

    1) I had to change how /etc/acpi/screenblank.sh operated. It makes a
    call to /usr/share/acpi-support/screenblank and I removed the lines
    which reset dpms and the rest of it.

    2) I restarted acpid many times...

    3) I edited menu.lst and included the following to defoptions:

    # acpi_sleep=s3_bios

    Then I ran update-grub as the root user.

    4) I restarted acpid many more times

    So, where am I now? Well, the T43 now suspends and resumes more
    reliably but every so often it gets "stuck". As a measurement, XP Pro
    on the laptop suspends and resumes perfectly; but I figure that
    Microsoft had about 10 years to get it right so I have a few more to go
    and so does Ubuntu.

    As with most things in the real world... YMMV.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  10. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, adinfinitum.

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 10:39:03 -0800, Michael Perry wrote:

    > On 22 Dec 2007 04:14:10 GMT, Holz wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:51:36 -0500, Bob H wrote:
    >>
    >>> out on a wider basis.

    >> Sorry for the delay, but n, I found no solution. Seems to be a know
    >> problem and n resolution.
    >>

    > Hi-
    >
    > I definitely understand the frustration. I have a T43 thinkpad which
    > I've been experimenting with quite a bit of late. Main problem I have
    > is that suspends work perfectly but resumes often result in a black
    > screen. I've found a few things on my laptop which have helped though
    > lessen the occurences of failed suspends/resumes which don't involve
    > putting XP back on. Here are a few for your consideration:
    >
    > 1) I installed uswsusp only to find that it did not have s2ram in the
    > ubuntu package. I installed the one from Debian Lenny instead. I then
    > changed the hal suspend and hibernate scripts to only call s2ram and
    > s2disk respectively. These scripts are:
    >
    > /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux
    > /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux
    >
    > For the hibernate one, I simply backed up the original file and removed
    > all the stuff and just put in s2disk. For the suspend, I put in s2ram.
    >
    > 2) I had a problem with screensavers either of gnome or the X variety. I
    > removed both packages. The gnome screensaver I think caused my T43 to
    > blank out and not come back if I left it alone for some period of time.
    >
    > 3) I ensured that the /etc/uswsusp.conf called the swap partition by its
    > /dev/ name and not the UUID.
    >
    > 4) I edited the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and ensured it had
    > the correct swap UUID label. Surprise! Mine did not.
    >
    > 5) I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and added in:
    >
    > Section Device
    >
    > Option "VBERestore" "true"
    >
    > I also added in:
    >
    > Section "ServerLayout"
    >
    > Option "BlankTime" "15"
    > Option "StandbyTime" "30"
    > # Option "SuspendTime" "45" # Option
    > "OffTime" "10"
    >
    > I'm still playing around with the last two options a bit so I tend to
    > comment them out and restart X and then try things.
    >
    > Other steps I had to take which may be related or not...
    >
    > 1) I had to change how /etc/acpi/screenblank.sh operated. It makes a
    > call to /usr/share/acpi-support/screenblank and I removed the lines
    > which reset dpms and the rest of it.
    >
    > 2) I restarted acpid many times...
    >
    > 3) I edited menu.lst and included the following to defoptions:
    >
    > # acpi_sleep=s3_bios
    >
    > Then I ran update-grub as the root user.
    >
    > 4) I restarted acpid many more times
    >
    > So, where am I now? Well, the T43 now suspends and resumes more
    > reliably but every so often it gets "stuck". As a measurement, XP Pro
    > on the laptop suspends and resumes perfectly; but I figure that
    > Microsoft had about 10 years to get it right so I have a few more to go
    > and so does Ubuntu.
    >
    > As with most things in the real world... YMMV.

    But, who would want to wakeup to Vista?

  11. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum.

    "Michael Perry" wrote in message
> [...]

    > 1) I had to change how /etc/acpi/screenblank.sh operated. It makes a
    > call to /usr/share/acpi-support/screenblank and I removed the lines
    > which reset dpms and the rest of it.
    >
    > 2) I restarted acpid many times...
    >
    > 3) I edited menu.lst and included the following to defoptions:
    >
    > # acpi_sleep=s3_bios
    >
    > Then I ran update-grub as the root user.
    >
    > 4) I restarted acpid many more times
    >
    > So, where am I now? Well, the T43 now suspends and resumes more
    > reliably but every so often it gets "stuck". As a measurement, XP Pro
    > on the laptop suspends and resumes perfectly; but I figure that
    > Microsoft had about 10 years to get it right so I have a few more to go
    > and so does Ubuntu.
    >
    > As with most things in the real world... YMMV.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

    Thanks for your post.

    I wish I had the time to plumb the depths. This stuff should work out of the
    box.

    I plan on installing whatever follows Gutsy to see if it works then, and if
    it does I will continue my changeover. Until then, I'm stuck with
    Microsloth.

  12. Re: At least Vista and XP suspend and resume properly, ad infinitum.

    Michael Perry writes:

    > On 22 Dec 2007 04:14:10 GMT, Holz wrote:
    >> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:51:36 -0500, Bob H wrote:
    >>
    >>> out on a wider basis.

    >> Sorry for the delay, but n, I found no solution. Seems to be a know
    >> problem and n resolution.
    >>

    > Hi-
    >
    > I definitely understand the frustration. I have a T43 thinkpad which
    > I've been experimenting with quite a bit of late. Main problem I have
    > is that suspends work perfectly but resumes often result in a black

    Which indicates maybe the suspend did not work perfectly. Unfortunately
    google reveals that suspend/hibernate/resume is flaky and particularly
    so on Thinkpads. I have an x30 and never got it working properly It's
    something I can live without but would prefer not to.

    > screen. I've found a few things on my laptop which have helped though
    > lessen the occurences of failed suspends/resumes which don't involve
    > putting XP back on. Here are a few for your consideration:
    >
    > 1) I installed uswsusp only to find that it did not have s2ram in the
    > ubuntu package. I installed the one from Debian Lenny instead. I then
    > changed the hal suspend and hibernate scripts to only call s2ram and
    > s2disk respectively. These scripts are:
    >
    > /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux
    > /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux
    >
    > For the hibernate one, I simply backed up the original file and removed
    > all the stuff and just put in s2disk. For the suspend, I put in s2ram.
    >
    > 2) I had a problem with screensavers either of gnome or the X variety. I
    > removed both packages. The gnome screensaver I think caused my T43 to
    > blank out and not come back if I left it alone for some period of time.
    >
    > 3) I ensured that the /etc/uswsusp.conf called the swap
    > partition by its /dev/ name and not the UUID.

    That is scary.

    > 4) I edited the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume and ensured it had
    > the correct swap UUID label. Surprise! Mine did not.

    UUID stuff is incomplete IMO although my fstab is entirely UUID now
    since I work primarily on plug in media.

    > 5) I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and added in:
    >
    > Section Device
    >
    > Option "VBERestore" "true"
    >
    > I also added in:
    >
    > Section "ServerLayout"
    >
    > Option "BlankTime" "15"
    > Option "StandbyTime" "30"
    > # Option "SuspendTime" "45"
    > # Option "OffTime" "10"

    I had to 0 all these in order to stop Debian blanking my TV when I was
    watching a video from the computer. A real PITA.

    > I'm still playing around with the last two options a bit so I tend to
    > comment them out and restart X and then try things.
    >
    > Other steps I had to take which may be related or not...
    >
    > 1) I had to change how /etc/acpi/screenblank.sh operated. It makes a
    > call to /usr/share/acpi-support/screenblank and I removed the lines
    > which reset dpms and the rest of it.
    >
    > 2) I restarted acpid many times...
    >
    > 3) I edited menu.lst and included the following to defoptions:
    >
    > # acpi_sleep=s3_bios
    >
    > Then I ran update-grub as the root user.
    >
    > 4) I restarted acpid many more times
    >
    > So, where am I now? Well, the T43 now suspends and resumes more
    > reliably but every so often it gets "stuck". As a measurement, XP Pro
    > on the laptop suspends and resumes perfectly; but I figure that
    > Microsoft had about 10 years to get it right so I have a few more to go
    > and so does Ubuntu.

    Don't say that. There really are people here who will maintain that it
    works perfectly and you are simply too stupid to get it working. They
    are of course wrong - suspend/resume in Linux is hosed. And the
    developers know it too. A shame and I believe they are working on a
    better architecture.

    > As with most things in the real world... YMMV.

    --
    You are here:
    ***

    But you're not all there.