Some sounds are `missing' ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Some sounds are `missing' ? - Ubuntu ; re: Ubuntu Gutsy (gnome) I have sound from music apps and system sounds from apps that supply their own sounds, like Pidgin. Plus when I enable System>Preferences>Sound> Play system sounds like "Question dialog" and "Log in", those sounds play when ...

  1. Some sounds are `missing' ?

    re: Ubuntu Gutsy (gnome)

    I have sound from music apps and system sounds from apps that supply
    their own sounds, like Pidgin. Plus when I enable
    System>Preferences>Sound> Play system sounds like "Question dialog" and
    "Log in", those sounds play when the "Play" button is pressed on that
    page. Also, the Log-in sound plays when I log in and Log-out sound plays
    when I log out. BUT I never hear the event sounds when I am using my
    system. Is it that these "events" do not exist in the desktop, or have I
    failed to activate them somehow?

    I hope this makes sense; I should probably be happy that this is the only
    complaint I have with Ubuntu.

    swede

  2. Re: Some sounds are `missing' ?

    Swede wrote:

    > re: Ubuntu Gutsy (gnome)
    >
    > I have sound from music apps and system sounds from apps that supply
    > their own sounds, like Pidgin. Plus when I enable
    > System>Preferences>Sound> Play system sounds like "Question dialog" and
    > "Log in", those sounds play when the "Play" button is pressed on that
    > page. Also, the Log-in sound plays when I log in and Log-out sound plays
    > when I log out. BUT I never hear the event sounds when I am using my
    > system. Is it that these "events" do not exist in the desktop, or have I
    > failed to activate them somehow?
    >
    > I hope this makes sense; I should probably be happy that this is the only
    > complaint I have with Ubuntu.
    >
    > swede

    Thankfully (at least by default) there are no system sounds when navigating
    the desktop.

    Cheers.

    --
    Ubuntu 7.10 ... wow!
    http;//www.ubuntu.com

  3. Re: Some sounds are `missing' ?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Thankfully (at least by default) there are no system sounds when
    > navigating the desktop.
    >
    > Cheers.

    LOL does that mean there are no desktop sounds, or does it mean you don't
    know if there are?

    Skol

  4. Re: Some sounds are `missing' ?

    Swede wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >

    >> Thankfully (at least by default) there are no system sounds when
    >> navigating the desktop.
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > LOL does that mean there are no desktop sounds, or does it mean you don't
    > know if there are?
    >
    > Skol

    It means as installed there are no event sounds. Whether they're there and
    can be turned on, I have no idea, as I wouldn't want that
    Windoze-like "feature" if it did exist.

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

  5. Re: Some sounds are `missing' ?

    NoStop wrote:

    > Swede wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thankfully (at least by default) there are no system sounds when
    >>> navigating the desktop.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.

    >> LOL does that mean there are no desktop sounds, or does it mean you
    >> don't know if there are?
    >>
    >> Skol

    > It means as installed there are no event sounds. Whether they're there
    > and can be turned on, I have no idea, as I wouldn't want that
    > Windoze-like "feature" if it did exist.
    >
    > Cheers.

    Thanks!

    Oh, and sorry. I really didn't mean to make is seem like I give a ratass
    whether you had or used that feature or not! LOL

    Skol

+ Reply to Thread