Using root account - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Using root account - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice, but I'd like to use the root account as always using the sudo command is no option. How can I use the root account? Thanks in advance for your answers. With ...

  1. Using root account

    Hi all,

    I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice, but I'd like to use the
    root account as always using the sudo command is no option.
    How can I use the root account?

    Thanks in advance for your answers.

    With regards,
    Fokke Nauta

  2. Re: Using root account

    Fokke Nauta wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice, but I'd like to use the
    > root account as always using the sudo command is no option. How can I
    > use the root account?

    It is an option, and a very good one that even allows you to become root
    on a semi-permanent basis by typing 'sudo -i' in a terminal.

  3. Re: Using root account

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 08:57:44 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice, but I'd like to use the
    > root account as always using the sudo command is no option. How can I
    > use the root account?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your answers.

    Always using sudo IS an option, and the safest one.

    If you'd like to switch to the root account temporarily:
    sudo -i

    If you are dead set on ignoring the security model, and want to use the
    root account, sudo -i as above, then type passwd and enter a new password.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  4. Re: Using root account

    Joe wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 08:57:44 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice, but I'd like to use the
    >> root account as always using the sudo command is no option. How can I
    >> use the root account?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your answers.

    > Always using sudo IS an option, and the safest one.
    >
    > If you'd like to switch to the root account temporarily:
    > sudo -i
    >
    > If you are dead set on ignoring the security model, and want to use the
    > root account, sudo -i as above, then type passwd and enter a new password.

    Hi,

    Thanks for your quick reply. You are right, sudo is an option, but I
    prefer (temporary) working in the root account. Sudo -i is the perfect
    option! I was not aware of that.

    Regards,
    Fokke

  5. Re: Using root account

    "Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
    news:ac2994341e9c01c0f88a897fc051f675@remailer.met acolo.com...
    > Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice, but I'd like to use the
    > > root account as always using the sudo command is no option. How can I
    > > use the root account?

    > It is an option, and a very good one that even allows you to become root
    > on a semi-permanent basis by typing 'sudo -i' in a terminal.

    Thanks!
    I already had a response syggestung using "sud -i".
    This will work fine.

    Rgs,
    Fokke

  6. Re: Using root account

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:41:30 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:

    > "Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
    > news:ac2994341e9c01c0f88a897fc051f675@remailer.met acolo.com...
    >> Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10. It's nice, but I'd like to use the
    >> > root account as always using the sudo command is no option. How can I
    >> > use the root account?

    >> It is an option, and a very good one that even allows you to become root
    >> on a semi-permanent basis by typing 'sudo -i' in a terminal.
    >>

    > I already had a response syggestung using "sud -i".
    > This will work fine.

    There are many ways to skin a rat:

    "sudo -i" or "sudo su" or "sudo xterm" &c.

    The GUI way is to go to system/admin/users and set a password for root,
    then you can su your system to death ;-)

  7. Re: Using root account

    Mark South wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:41:30 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >
    >> "Anonymous Sender" wrote in message
    >> news:ac2994341e9c01c0f88a897fc051f675@remailer.met acolo.com...

    >>> It is an option, and a very good one that even allows you to become root
    >>> on a semi-permanent basis by typing 'sudo -i' in a terminal.
    >>>

    >> I already had a response syggestung using "sud -i".
    >> This will work fine.

    > There are many ways to skin a rat:
    >
    > "sudo -i" or "sudo su" or "sudo xterm" &c.
    >
    > The GUI way is to go to system/admin/users and set a password for root,
    > then you can su your system to death ;-)

    Another GUI way is to use a Nautilus script to be able to quickly root the
    file manager to a directory you're in. The script is placed in
    ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts and is made "executable". Below is the script:

    #!/bin/bash

    # Opens a nautilus window as root.

    foo=`gksudo -u root -k -m "enter your password for nautilus root
    access" /bin/echo "got r00t?"`
    sudo nautilus --no-desktop $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI

    Note: if the above is wrapping in your newsreader, the "foo" line and what
    follows and "sudo" line should each be on a single line.

    Save the file as: root-nautilus-here

    After installation, then a right click on a file in a directory, allows the
    user to choose Scripts --> root-nautilus-here

    And yes, one can use this means to also "su your system to death" :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

+ Reply to Thread