There are days I absolutely love Linux... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on There are days I absolutely love Linux... - Ubuntu ; And today was one of them. =) New recent project I started, linux-based device, so convenient to do development work with. On the device, u-boot as bootloader with Busybox as the OS. Connected to it via serial port using Kermit. ...

  1. There are days I absolutely love Linux...

    And today was one of them. =)

    New recent project I started, linux-based device, so convenient to do
    development work with.

    On the device, u-boot as bootloader with Busybox as the OS.

    Connected to it via serial port using Kermit.

    Then, via the on-board ethernet connection, mapped my development
    directory to a local directory on the device via NFS. So now, when I go
    to compile the latest binary on my PC, I can directly start it via the
    Kermit terminal without needing to explicitly copy the new binary to the
    device since it is accessible via the NFS share. It'd be difficult to
    make life more convenient.

    Absolutely awesome, love it.

    So much better than *cough* WinCE *puke* which is an absolute pain to
    work with in comparison.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  2. Re: There are days I absolutely love Linux...

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > And today was one of them. =)
    >
    > New recent project I started, linux-based device, so convenient to do
    > development work with.
    >
    > On the device, u-boot as bootloader with Busybox as the OS.
    >
    > Connected to it via serial port using Kermit.
    >
    > Then, via the on-board ethernet connection, mapped my development
    > directory to a local directory on the device via NFS. So now, when I go
    > to compile the latest binary on my PC, I can directly start it via the
    > Kermit terminal without needing to explicitly copy the new binary to the
    > device since it is accessible via the NFS share. It'd be difficult to
    > make life more convenient.
    >
    > Absolutely awesome, love it.
    >
    > So much better than *cough* WinCE *puke* which is an absolute pain to
    > work with in comparison.

    Who are you trying to impress?

  3. Re: There are days I absolutely love Linux...

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:56:29 -0800, Anthony wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >> And today was one of them. =)
    >>
    >> New recent project I started, linux-based device, so convenient to do
    >> development work with.
    >>
    >> On the device, u-boot as bootloader with Busybox as the OS.
    >>
    >> Connected to it via serial port using Kermit.
    >>
    >> Then, via the on-board ethernet connection, mapped my development
    >> directory to a local directory on the device via NFS. So now, when I go
    >> to compile the latest binary on my PC, I can directly start it via the
    >> Kermit terminal without needing to explicitly copy the new binary to
    >> the device since it is accessible via the NFS share. It'd be difficult
    >> to make life more convenient.
    >>
    >> Absolutely awesome, love it.
    >>
    >> So much better than *cough* WinCE *puke* which is an absolute pain to
    >> work with in comparison.
    >>

    > Who are you trying to impress?

    Nobody, just making a post about linux in a linux newsgroup.

    You on the other hand, what's your contribution?

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  4. Re: There are days I absolutely love Linux...

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 03:10:56 -0600, Stephan Rose wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:56:29 -0800, Anthony wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose wrote:
    >>> And today was one of them. =)
    >>>
    >>> New recent project I started, linux-based device, so convenient to do
    >>> development work with.
    >>>
    >>> On the device, u-boot as bootloader with Busybox as the OS.
    >>>
    >>> Connected to it via serial port using Kermit.
    >>>
    >>> Then, via the on-board ethernet connection, mapped my development
    >>> directory to a local directory on the device via NFS. So now, when I go
    >>> to compile the latest binary on my PC, I can directly start it via the
    >>> Kermit terminal without needing to explicitly copy the new binary to
    >>> the device since it is accessible via the NFS share. It'd be difficult
    >>> to make life more convenient.
    >>>
    >>> Absolutely awesome, love it.
    >>>
    >>> So much better than *cough* WinCE *puke* which is an absolute pain to
    >>> work with in comparison.
    >>>

    >> Who are you trying to impress?

    Probably Stephan is trying to interest those who understand what he's
    talking about.

    > Nobody, just making a post about linux in a linux newsgroup.

    I'm impressed that you apparently get paid for playing with your toys :-)

    > You on the other hand, what's your contribution?

    I try never to make a contribution on a Friday.

+ Reply to Thread