Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters - Ubuntu ; Phil Buchman wrote: > I want to buy the following Edimax wireless network > adapter cards for my computers: An EW-7108PCg for my laptop and an > EW-7128g for a desktop. Both of their description-pdf's from Edimax > say that ...

  1. Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters

    Phil Buchman wrote:

    > I want to buy the following Edimax wireless network
    > adapter cards for my computers: An EW-7108PCg for my laptop and an
    > EW-7128g for a desktop. Both of their description-pdf's from Edimax
    > say that each card supports Linux.

    EW-7108PCg = RT2651/RT61
    EW-7128g = rt2500 (see community help 2nd below)

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...8EW-7108PCg%29

    Make - Model - Chipset - Driver - Supports network install? -
    Supported in installed system? - Works "out of the box" - Comments -
    Last Updated - Type

    Edimax - EW-7108PCG - RT2651/RT61 802.11abg - madwifi - Yes -
    Yes - Yes - Works well with the stock Madwifi drivers WPA encryption
    worked out of the box - 2007-11-17 - PCMCIA

    Edimax - EW-7128g - ? - rt2500 - No - No - No - Works with WEP
    and WPA. See WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500 - PCI

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...r/RalinkRT2500 - In
    Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) everything should work out of the box, using
    newer built-in driver, so the information posted below are not relevant
    to this version. There are many reports about WPA connections not
    working, though. This post describes how to make them work by going
    back to the legacy serialmonkey driver. The issue was reported in the
    bug #134962.

    > 1) If I insert these cards into computers that have blank hard drives
    > and no connection to the internet, and then install the Ubuntu OS from
    > an altenrate desktop CD (NOT a Live CD), will these cards be
    > recognized and configured properly during the initial installation of
    > the Ubuntu OS and connect the computer to the Net after the restart
    > at the end of the OS-install procedure?

    Maybe.

    > 2) If I install these cards into machines that have Ubuntu already
    > running in them, would the cards just "work" for me? Do I need to load
    > drivers or configure ndiswrapper or open and edit files buried deep
    > inside the OS?

    It seems to me that KDE's graphical twiddler has more power than default
    Gnome's.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters

    Thanks for the links and the information, Mike. I've copied them to
    safe place if I have any problems with the cards. (I also have a return
    policy with the retailer too...)

  3. Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters

    They both say "Supports Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP/Vista and Linux" and
    provide Linux drivers on their support pages---that means they work
    with Linux...right? (Wiping sweat from brow as I write this...) Please
    look at the following pages and tell me if these cards support Linux
    because I just bought them on the promise of their data-sheets that
    these cards like Linux and work with Linux.

    EW-7108PCg

    http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det..._id=89&pd_id=5

    http://www.edimax.com/en/support_det...id=1&pl2_id=44

    EW-7128g

    http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det..._id=86&pd_id=1

    http://www.edimax.com/en/support_det...id=1&pl2_id=44

  4. Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters

    Hi again Mike,

    I spent a few hours today researching these cards---and then I bought
    them. They will arrive in a few days.

    > Edimax - EW-7108PCG - RT2651/RT61 802.11abg - madwifi - Yes -
    > Yes - Yes - Works well with the stock Madwifi drivers WPA encryption
    > worked out of the box - 2007-11-17 - PCMCIA

    My research has suggested that the EW-7108PCG should work out of the
    box with absolutely no hardware-configuration on my part.

    > Edimax - EW-7128g - ? - rt2500 - No - No - No - Works with WEP
    > and WPA. See WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500 - PCI
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...r/RalinkRT2500 - In
    > Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) everything should work out of the box, using
    > newer built-in driver, so the information posted below are not relevant
    > to this version. There are many reports about WPA connections not
    > working, though. This post describes how to make them work by going
    > back to the legacy serialmonkey driver. The issue was reported in the
    > bug #134962.

    My research suggests that the EW-7128g should work out of the box (with
    Gutsy Gibbon only) and require no hardware-configuration on my part.

    We'll find out in a few days when the cards arrive and I plug them into
    each computer. Fingers crossed, rubbing rabit feet, dream catcher in
    each window that is facing east...I'll offer prayers to any god that I
    have to.

    And if I'm wrong, I can always take advantage of the vendor's 30 day
    return policy...!!!

    I've waited a long time and put a lot of work and study into Ubuntu and
    I REALLY WANT these cards to work!!!! It would just mean a whole to me
    to get these cards to work and Ubuntu running on these machines!

  5. Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters

    Phil Buchman wrote:

    > I spent a few hours today researching these cards---and then I bought
    > them. They will arrive in a few days.

    I think you'll do just fine. There is sufficient compatibility
    information that if the cards aren't 'immediately' recognized, that you
    can twiddle. Personally I prefer to do my twiddling with a graphical
    interface, but those here who know how to explore and remedy things
    manually can help immensely.

    My experience with twiddling with wireless which is introduced 'after
    the fact' or that which was recognized by the live CD but is not
    recognized by the hdd install is that the KDE graphical wireless tools
    are much more robust than the gnome gizmo, which gnome network tool
    doesn't really do very much if you are trying to get something to
    recognize something if it doesn't already.

    You have fears of having to nouger around in the confusion of the
    filesystem or write some commands. You will discover that those who
    know how to do that can write a few of commands for you that you can
    execute by copying and pasting into your terminal that is far easier and
    far quicker than trying to find some kind of graphical tool which may
    not quite work right to do what you want.

    Commands in the hands of an expert are like a scalpel in the hands of a
    surgeon for fixing things. Amateurs fumbling with weak graphical tools
    to try to correct something is like trying to use an wired electric
    drill with a screwdriver attachment and a powercord which is too short
    to reach the plug to unscrew a screw without a manual screwdriver. A
    manual screwdriver would unscrew the target screw before you can figure
    out that your short cord electric drill won't do it in its powerless
    condition. And so would a commandline.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: Potentially silly questions about wireless networking with Linux-compatible adapters

    Phil Buchman wrote:

    > Hi again Mike,
    >
    > I spent a few hours today researching these cards---and then I bought
    > them. They will arrive in a few days.
    >
    >> Edimax - EW-7108PCG - RT2651/RT61 802.11abg - madwifi - Yes -
    >> Yes - Yes - Works well with the stock Madwifi drivers WPA encryption
    >> worked out of the box - 2007-11-17 - PCMCIA

    > My research has suggested that the EW-7108PCG should work out of the
    > box with absolutely no hardware-configuration on my part.
    >

    >> Edimax - EW-7128g - ? - rt2500 - No - No - No - Works with WEP
    >> and WPA. See WifiDocs/Driver/RalinkRT2500 - PCI
    >>
    >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...r/RalinkRT2500 - In
    >> Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) everything should work out of the box, using
    >> newer built-in driver, so the information posted below are not relevant
    >> to this version. There are many reports about WPA connections not
    >> working, though. This post describes how to make them work by going
    >> back to the legacy serialmonkey driver. The issue was reported in the
    >> bug #134962.

    > My research suggests that the EW-7128g should work out of the box (with
    > Gutsy Gibbon only) and require no hardware-configuration on my part.
    >
    > We'll find out in a few days when the cards arrive and I plug them into
    > each computer. Fingers crossed, rubbing rabit feet, dream catcher in
    > each window that is facing east...I'll offer prayers to any god that I
    > have to.
    >
    > And if I'm wrong, I can always take advantage of the vendor's 30 day
    > return policy...!!!
    >
    > I've waited a long time and put a lot of work and study into Ubuntu and
    > I REALLY WANT these cards to work!!!! It would just mean a whole to me
    > to get these cards to work and Ubuntu running on these machines!

    I downloaded the Linux driver from their website. The tar contains raw
    source code that can be compiled for either a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel. It is
    supposed to support WPA. The README states it's been tested on Redhat 7.3
    or later. So I'd guess that it should work fine, if you have to resort to
    using the driver they provide if Ubuntu itself doesn't already provide a
    similar driver. Files are pretty current: July 26, 2007.

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

+ Reply to Thread