xorg.conf - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on xorg.conf - Ubuntu ; okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/ folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. xorg.conf

    okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    anyone know where I might find it?

    tia

  2. Re: xorg.conf

    brian wrote on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:09:14 -0500:

    > okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    > life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    > folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    > use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    > (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    > anyone know where I might find it?
    >
    > tia

    If you mistyped and meant /etc/X11 instead of *~*/etc/X11 then I cannot
    see where your xorg.conf might be.

    However if you didn't mistype peek into /etc/X11 where you'll probably
    find your xorg.conf.

    HTH

    --
    Simon Gerber
    simugerber@student.ethz.ch

  3. Re: xorg.conf

    brian writes:

    > okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    > life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the
    > ~/etc/X11/
    > folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to

    nope.

    Try removing the tilde (~).

    --
    BOFH excuse #429:

    Temporal anomaly

  4. Re: xorg.conf

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:09:14 -0500, brian wrote:

    > okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    > life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    > folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    > use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    > (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    > anyone know where I might find it?

    It should NOT be under your home directory. It is a system file.

    It should be living in the open as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but if not, try

    find /etc -iname xorg.conf

  5. Re: xorg.conf

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:28:33 +0100, Mark South wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:09:14 -0500, brian wrote:
    >
    >> okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    >> life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    >> folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    >> use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    >> (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    >> anyone know where I might find it?

    > It should NOT be under your home directory. It is a system file.
    >
    > It should be living in the open as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but if not, try
    >
    > find /etc -iname xorg.conf

    ~$ slocate xorg.conf works too

  6. Re: xorg.conf

    In article ,
    Simon Gerber wrote:

    > brian wrote on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:09:14 -0500:
    >
    > > okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    > > life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    > > folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    > > use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    > > (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    > > anyone know where I might find it?
    > >
    > > tia

    > If you mistyped and meant /etc/X11 instead of *~*/etc/X11 then I cannot
    > see where your xorg.conf might be.
    >
    > However if you didn't mistype peek into /etc/X11 where you'll probably
    > find your xorg.conf.
    >
    > HTH

    Whoops. I thought "~" meant that it is the root directory not the
    user's. Sorry.
    I did, however, look into /etc/X11/ and couldn't see it. Do I need to
    start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having a
    regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if that
    could be the difference.

    thanks

  7. Re: xorg.conf

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:46:55 -0500, brian wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Simon Gerber wrote:
    >
    >> brian wrote on Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:09:14 -0500:
    >>
    >> > okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    >> > life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    >> > folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    >> > use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    >> > (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    >> > anyone know where I might find it?
    >> >
    >> > tia

    >> If you mistyped and meant /etc/X11 instead of *~*/etc/X11 then I cannot
    >> see where your xorg.conf might be.
    >>
    >> However if you didn't mistype peek into /etc/X11 where you'll probably
    >> find your xorg.conf.
    >>
    >> HTH

    > Whoops. I thought "~" meant that it is the root directory not the
    > user's. Sorry.
    > I did, however, look into /etc/X11/ and couldn't see it. Do I need to
    > start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having a
    > regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if that
    > could be the difference.

    Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

  8. Re: xorg.conf

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:46:55 -0500, brian wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Simon Gerber wrote:

    >>> If you mistyped and meant /etc/X11 instead of *~*/etc/X11 then I cannot
    >>> see where your xorg.conf might be.
    >>>
    >>> However if you didn't mistype peek into /etc/X11 where you'll probably
    >>> find your xorg.conf.
    >>>
    >>> HTH

    >> Whoops. I thought "~" meant that it is the root directory not the
    >> user's. Sorry.
    >> I did, however, look into /etc/X11/ and couldn't see it. Do I need to
    >> start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having a
    >> regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if that
    >> could be the difference.
    >>

    > Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

    crap... as long as we're going to all the trouble to open a terminal,
    why not just:
    cd /etc/X11/
    ls xorg*
    *g*

  9. Re: xorg.conf

    Meat Plow wrote:
    Do I need to
    >> start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having a
    >> regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if that
    >> could be the difference.

    when you find it (see above) use sudo gedit xorg.conf in a terminal to
    launch the editor in root mode.

    > Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

  10. Re: xorg.conf

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:16:21 +0000, clay wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:46:55 -0500, brian wrote:

    >>> Whoops. I thought "~" meant that it is the root directory not the
    >>> user's. Sorry.
    >>> I did, however, look into /etc/X11/ and couldn't see it. Do I need to
    >>> start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having a
    >>> regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if that
    >>> could be the difference.
    >>>

    >> Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

    > crap... as long as we're going to all the trouble to open a terminal,
    > why not just:
    > cd /etc/X11/
    > ls xorg*
    > *g*

    That worky too

  11. Re: xorg.conf

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:05:24 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:46:55 -0500, brian wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Simon Gerber wrote:

    >>> If you mistyped and meant /etc/X11 instead of *~*/etc/X11 then I
    >>> cannot see where your xorg.conf might be.
    >>>
    >>> However if you didn't mistype peek into /etc/X11 where you'll probably
    >>> find your xorg.conf.
    >>>
    >>> HTH

    >> Whoops. I thought "~" meant that it is the root directory not the
    >> user's. Sorry.
    >> I did, however, look into /etc/X11/ and couldn't see it. Do I need to
    >> start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having
    >> a regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if
    >> that could be the difference.
    >>

    > Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

    okay here's what I got

    brian@brian-laptop:~$ slocate xorg.conf
    /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
    /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.roster
    /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf
    /usr/share/displayconfig-gtk/xorg.conf.fallback
    /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/
    xorg.conf_disablectrlaltbackspacegnome
    /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/xorg.conf_disablenvidialogo
    /usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
    brian@brian-laptop:~$

    it's in the usr folder??

  12. Re: xorg.conf

    Brian writes:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:05:24 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:46:55 -0500, brian wrote:

    >>> Whoops. I thought "~" meant that it is the root directory not the
    >>> user's. Sorry.
    >>> I did, however, look into /etc/X11/ and couldn't see it. Do I need to
    >>> start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having
    >>> a regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if
    >>> that could be the difference.
    >>>

    >> Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

    > okay here's what I got
    >
    > brian@brian-laptop:~$ slocate xorg.conf
    > /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
    > /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.roster
    > /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf
    > /usr/share/displayconfig-gtk/xorg.conf.fallback
    > /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/
    > xorg.conf_disablectrlaltbackspacegnome
    > /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/xorg.conf_disablenvidialogo
    > /usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
    > brian@brian-laptop:~$
    >
    > it's in the usr folder??

    Did you or did you not type

    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    into a terminal?

    I strongly advise against doing anything with xorg if you are having
    this much trouble. Is it possible you have already deleted it by
    mistake?

  13. Re: xorg.conf

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:05:58 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Brian writes:

    >>> Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

    >> okay here's what I got
    >>
    >> brian@brian-laptop:~$ slocate xorg.conf /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
    >> /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.roster
    >> /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf
    >> /usr/share/displayconfig-gtk/xorg.conf.fallback
    >> /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/
    >> xorg.conf_disablectrlaltbackspacegnome
    >> /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/xorg.conf_disablenvidialogo
    >> /usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
    >> brian@brian-laptop:~$
    >>
    >> it's in the usr folder??

    > Did you or did you not type
    >
    > sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >
    > into a terminal?
    >
    > I strongly advise against doing anything with xorg if you are having
    > this much trouble. Is it possible you have already deleted it by
    > mistake?

    okay, I just did sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf it asked me for my
    password, did that. Now it opens a blank doc in edit??? I know I didn't
    delete it, all I've been doing is searching. What do you think is
    happening? Is this a file I can get off of the livecd?

    thanks

  14. Re: xorg.conf

    Brian writes:

    > On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:05:58 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Brian writes:

    >>> okay here's what I got
    >>>
    >>> brian@brian-laptop:~$ slocate xorg.conf /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.md5sum
    >>> /var/lib/x11/xorg.conf.roster
    >>> /usr/share/xresprobe/xorg.conf
    >>> /usr/share/displayconfig-gtk/xorg.conf.fallback
    >>> /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/
    >>> xorg.conf_disablectrlaltbackspacegnome
    >>> /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/xorg.conf_disablenvidialogo
    >>> /usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz
    >>> brian@brian-laptop:~$
    >>>
    >>> it's in the usr folder??

    >> Did you or did you not type
    >>
    >> sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >>
    >> into a terminal?
    >>
    >> I strongly advise against doing anything with xorg if you are having
    >> this much trouble. Is it possible you have already deleted it by
    >> mistake?

    > okay, I just did sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf it asked me for my
    > password, did that. Now it opens a blank doc in edit??? I know I didn't
    > delete it, all I've been doing is searching. What do you think is
    > happening? Is this a file I can get off of the livecd?
    >
    > thanks

    lets just clarify a thing or too here :

    1) This is a running system? Ubuntu? What version?
    2) Do you have a GUI desktop running or is it full screen?
    3) what is the output of the following from a terminal :

    ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.*

    4) If (3) does nothing then google up how to reconfigure xorg.conf in
    ubuntu - I think it will rewrite it for you.

    Here, I did the google for you:

  15. Re: xorg.conf

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:43:26 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Brian writes:

    >>> Did you or did you not type
    >>>
    >>> sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >>>
    >>> into a terminal?
    >>>
    >>> I strongly advise against doing anything with xorg if you are having
    >>> this much trouble. Is it possible you have already deleted it by
    >>> mistake?

    >> okay, I just did sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf it asked me for my
    >> password, did that. Now it opens a blank doc in edit??? I know I didn't
    >> delete it, all I've been doing is searching. What do you think is
    >> happening? Is this a file I can get off of the livecd?
    >>
    >> thanks

    > lets just clarify a thing or too here :
    >
    > 1) This is a running system? Ubuntu? What version? 2) Do you have a GUI
    > desktop running or is it full screen? 3) what is the output of the
    > following from a terminal :
    >
    > ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.*
    >
    > 4) If (3) does nothing then google up how to reconfigure xorg.conf in
    > ubuntu - I think it will rewrite it for you.
    >
    > Here, I did the google for you:

    1 = Yes running right now. Ubuntu 7.10
    2 = Not sure what you mean, if you are asking what manager it's gnome
    3 = brian@brian-laptop:~$ ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.*
    ls: /etc/X11/xorg.*: No such file or directory
    4 = thanks for the google, I'll check it out

  16. Re: xorg.conf

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:43:26 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Brian writes:

    >>> Did you or did you not type
    >>>
    >>> sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    >>>
    >>> into a terminal?
    >>>
    >>> I strongly advise against doing anything with xorg if you are having
    >>> this much trouble. Is it possible you have already deleted it by
    >>> mistake?

    >> okay, I just did sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf it asked me for my
    >> password, did that. Now it opens a blank doc in edit??? I know I didn't
    >> delete it, all I've been doing is searching. What do you think is
    >> happening? Is this a file I can get off of the livecd?
    >>
    >> thanks

    > lets just clarify a thing or too here :
    >
    > 1) This is a running system? Ubuntu? What version? 2) Do you have a GUI
    > desktop running or is it full screen? 3) what is the output of the
    > following from a terminal :
    >
    > ls -l /etc/X11/xorg.*
    >
    > 4) If (3) does nothing then google up how to reconfigure xorg.conf in
    > ubuntu - I think it will rewrite it for you.
    >
    > Here, I did the google for you:

    Okay got it. Now I have xorg.conf. WooHoo. Thanks for your help.
    It still didn't fix the issue I have with the touchpad but hey, I learned
    something. Thanks again.

  17. Re: xorg.conf

    in 26935 20071205 201621 clay wrote:
    >Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:46:55 -0500, brian wrote:

    >>> Whoops. I thought "~" meant that it is the root directory not the
    >>> user's. Sorry.
    >>> I did, however, look into /etc/X11/ and couldn't see it. Do I need to
    >>> start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having a
    >>> regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if that
    >>> could be the difference.
    >>>

    >> Just open a terminal and type slocate xorg.conf.

    >crap... as long as we're going to all the trouble to open a terminal,
    >why not just:
    >cd /etc/X11/
    >ls xorg*
    >*g*

    That assumes you already know where it is.
    This thread is about locating it

  18. Re: xorg.conf

    In article <5rof8sF15lcgcU2@mid.individual.net>,
    Derek Turner wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    > Do I need to
    > >> start my file manager as root? I seem to remember other distros having a
    > >> regular file manager and then one with root privileges. I wonder if that
    > >> could be the difference.
    > >>

    > when you find it (see above) use sudo gedit xorg.conf in a terminal to
    > launch the editor in root mode.

    Interesting thing is when I sudo gedit xorg.conf it opens it up and is
    blank! If I just start gedit (sudo gedit) then go to file>open>xorg.conf
    it opens as expected with all of the text. Strange.

  19. Re: xorg.conf

    brian wrote on Thu, 06 Dec 2007 13:20:21 -0500:

    > Interesting thing is when I sudo gedit xorg.conf it opens it up and is
    > blank!

    Yeah, I suppose so if you really type sudo gedit xorg.conf (because then,
    gedit searches for the file xorg.conf in the *current* directory).
    It should open the correct file if you type sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    > If I just start gedit (sudo gedit) then go to file>open>xorg.conf
    > it opens as expected with all of the text. Strange.

    Not really, see above.

    --
    Simon Gerber
    simugerber@student.ethz.ch

  20. Re: xorg.conf

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    <1f3k5r.9k4.19.7@news.alt.net>, Meat Plow wrote:

    >Mark South wrote:

    >> find /etc -iname xorg.conf

    >~$ slocate xorg.conf works too

    slocate (and the original 'locate') consult a database of files usually
    created as a nightly cron-job. If your system isn't running at the
    scheduled time, and you are not running a part-time cron daemon like
    anacron or fcron, then the database won't be up to date. Thus it will
    report about files you have deleted, and won't know about files that
    have been created or moved since that database update. The 'find'
    command looks to see what is "there" now, and tends to be much slower
    than reading a pre-existing database (that was created by running
    find as part of that cron-job).

    Find can be made to run faster by (as here) limiting the area of the
    filesystem that is searched. This implies that you are somewhat familiar
    with the way files are located. See http://tldp.org/guides.html and
    look through the 'Linux Filesystem Hierarchy' guide, which is a more
    user-friendly translation of the 'Filesystem Hierarchy Standard' which
    is available from http://www.pathname.com/fhs/.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast