xorg.conf - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on xorg.conf - Ubuntu ; On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:00:14 -0600, Moe Trin wrote: > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article > , Meat Plow wrote: > >>Mark South wrote: > >>> find /etc -iname xorg.conf >> >>~$ ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: xorg.conf

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:00:14 -0600, Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > <1f3k5r.9k4.19.7@news.alt.net>, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >>Mark South wrote:

    >>> find /etc -iname xorg.conf

    >>~$ slocate xorg.conf works too

    > slocate (and the original 'locate') consult a database of files usually
    > created as a nightly cron-job. If your system isn't running at the
    > scheduled time, and you are not running a part-time cron daemon like
    > anacron or fcron, then the database won't be up to date. Thus it will
    > report about files you have deleted, and won't know about files that
    > have been created or moved since that database update. The 'find'
    > command looks to see what is "there" now, and tends to be much slower
    > than reading a pre-existing database (that was created by running
    > find as part of that cron-job).
    >
    > Find can be made to run faster by (as here) limiting the area of the
    > filesystem that is searched. This implies that you are somewhat familiar
    > with the way files are located. See http://tldp.org/guides.html and
    > look through the 'Linux Filesystem Hierarchy' guide, which is a more
    > user-friendly translation of the 'Filesystem Hierarchy Standard' which
    > is available from http://www.pathname.com/fhs/.
    >
    > Old guy

    That's fine and dandy if all your assumptions are correct.

  2. Re: xorg.conf

    brian wrote:
    > okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    > life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    > folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    > use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    > (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    > anyone know where I might find it?
    >
    > tia

    # /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

    An excerpt from /etc/X11/xorg.conf on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

  3. Re: xorg.conf

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:00:14 -0600, Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > <1f3k5r.9k4.19.7@news.alt.net>, Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >>Mark South wrote:

    >>> find /etc -iname xorg.conf

    > Find can be made to run faster by (as here) limiting the area of the
    > filesystem that is searched.

    On my system that command finds xorg.conf in 0.013s, didn't have much time
    to do a lot while I was waiting ;-)

  4. Re: xorg.conf

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:50:12 -0700, Daniel Willard wrote:

    > brian wrote:
    >> okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    >> life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    >> folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    >> use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    >> (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    >> anyone know where I might find it?
    >>
    >> tia

    > # /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file) #
    > # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool,
    > using # values from the debconf database.
    > #
    > # Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual
    > page. # (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.) #
    > # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades
    > *only* # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the
    > xserver-xorg # package.
    > #
    > # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically
    > updated # again, run the following command:
    > # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    >
    > An excerpt from /etc/X11/xorg.conf on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

    thanks

  5. Re: xorg.conf

    On 2007-12-05, brian hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    > life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    > folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    > use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    > (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    > anyone know where I might find it?

    OK I've read the thread and I know the OP *found* it.

    As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    "Live-CD".

    Booted the PC, selected the highest resolution (F4) feasible for the
    Monitor. When the OS was up and running,
    in a terminal I did sudo -i
    then "mkdir /ubu"
    "mount -t auto /dev/sdxy /ubu" (depends on the situation i.e.
    can also be /dev/hdxy) where my installation of Ubuntu 7.10 is.

    cd'd into /etc/X11 (this is the "Live-CD" / )
    looked for xorg.conf, sure enough it was there.
    in the /ubu/etc/X11 directory I changed the 17' xorg.conf to a
    backup. "mv xorg.conf xorg-17.conf" copied
    "cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /ubu/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

    rebooted, and except for the console which needs a bit work, it
    works fine.

    Hope this will be helpful to someone down the road... :-)

    > tia

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."

  6. Re: xorg.conf

    Dragomir Kollaric writes:

    > On 2007-12-05, brian hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    >> okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    >> life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    >> folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    >> use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    >> (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    >> anyone know where I might find it?

    > OK I've read the thread and I know the OP *found* it.
    >
    > As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    > I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    > "Live-CD".
    >
    > Booted the PC, selected the highest resolution (F4) feasible for the
    > Monitor. When the OS was up and running,
    > in a terminal I did sudo -i
    > then "mkdir /ubu"
    > "mount -t auto /dev/sdxy /ubu" (depends on the situation i.e.
    > can also be /dev/hdxy) where my installation of Ubuntu 7.10 is.
    >
    > cd'd into /etc/X11 (this is the "Live-CD" / )
    > looked for xorg.conf, sure enough it was there.
    > in the /ubu/etc/X11 directory I changed the 17' xorg.conf to a
    > backup. "mv xorg.conf xorg-17.conf" copied
    > "cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /ubu/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    >
    > rebooted, and except for the console which needs a bit work, it
    > works fine.
    >
    > Hope this will be helpful to someone down the road... :-)

    Probably not, since this NG isn't stored in the google archives AFAIK.

    At the end of the day he deleted his xorg.conf I suspect.

    I beliebe that the only thing he had to do was:

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

    (oh, and understand how file names and paths work :-

  7. Re: xorg.conf

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-12-05, brian hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >
    >> okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    >> life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    >> folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    >> use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    >> (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    >> anyone know where I might find it?

    > OK I've read the thread and I know the OP *found* it.
    >
    > As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    > I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    > "Live-CD".

    And why would you do this?

    > Booted the PC, selected the highest resolution (F4) feasible for the
    > Monitor. When the OS was up and running,
    > in a terminal I did sudo -i
    > then "mkdir /ubu"
    > "mount -t auto /dev/sdxy /ubu" (depends on the situation i.e.
    > can also be /dev/hdxy) where my installation of Ubuntu 7.10 is.
    >
    > cd'd into /etc/X11 (this is the "Live-CD" / )
    > looked for xorg.conf, sure enough it was there.
    > in the /ubu/etc/X11 directory I changed the 17' xorg.conf to a
    > backup. "mv xorg.conf xorg-17.conf" copied
    > "cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /ubu/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    >
    > rebooted, and except for the console which needs a bit work, it
    > works fine.
    >
    > Hope this will be helpful to someone down the road... :-)

    Probably not as it's a very convoluted way to get a fresh xorg.conf
    installed. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

  8. Re: xorg.conf

    On 2007-12-09, NoStop hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-12-05, brian hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>
    >>> okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    >>> life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    >>> folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    >>> use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    >>> (haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    >>> anyone know where I might find it?

    >> OK I've read the thread and I know the OP *found* it.
    >>
    >> As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    >> I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    >> "Live-CD".
    >>

    > And why would you do this?

    Well, when I run nvidia-xconfig it produced a file, but when
    I started X-session (Xfce at the moment) the Monitor
    displayed an error "Not Supported". Being worried that I
    might damage the Monitor, I turned it off after it started
    to flash. Not being able to get any X-session going,
    to search for the solution I choose this approach. Now
    *after* googling I found that I could run "dpkg-reconfigure
    xserver-xorg" and this would have been solved.

    Maybe its this rather *cheap" "Chinese" made Monitor.....

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  9. Re: xorg.conf

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-12-09, NoStop hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >>> OK I've read the thread and I know the OP *found* it.
    >>>
    >>> As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    >>> I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    >>> "Live-CD".
    >>>

    >> And why would you do this?

    > Well, when I run nvidia-xconfig it produced a file, but when
    > I started X-session (Xfce at the moment) the Monitor
    > displayed an error "Not Supported". Being worried that I
    > might damage the Monitor, I turned it off after it started
    > to flash. Not being able to get any X-session going,
    > to search for the solution I choose this approach. Now
    > *after* googling I found that I could run "dpkg-reconfigure
    > xserver-xorg" and this would have been solved.

    Yep, that's the correct approach.

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.
    This US president declared a war on terror. Terror won.
    Next?

  10. Re: xorg.conf

    NoStop wrote:

    >> As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    >> I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    >> "Live-CD".
    >>

    > And why would you do this?

    I've done that a couple times now after borking up an original. It's a
    handy way of generating a usable default. Boot to the LiveCD, mount
    the partition in question, and copy over the file. Just like magic your
    "dead" system is transformed into a full working model.

    [...]

    >> Hope this will be helpful to someone down the road... :-)
    >>

    > Probably not as it's a very convoluted way to get a fresh xorg.conf
    > installed. :-)

    Is there an easier, less convoluted way to create a fully working
    xorg.conf file? Do you *really* think blowing away the offending bad
    file and running 'dpkg reconfigure' is either of those things?

    I know I don't.

  11. Re: xorg.conf

    NoStop wrote:

    >> As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    >> I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    >> "Live-CD".
    >>

    > And why would you do this?

    I've done that a couple times now after borking up an original. It's a
    handy way of generating a usable default. Boot to the LiveCD, mount
    the partition in question, and copy over the file. Just like magic your
    "dead" system is transformed into a full working model.

    [...]

    >> Hope this will be helpful to someone down the road... :-)
    >>

    > Probably not as it's a very convoluted way to get a fresh xorg.conf
    > installed. :-)

    Is there an easier, less convoluted way to create a fully working
    xorg.conf file? Do you *really* think blowing away the offending bad
    file and running 'dpkg reconfigure' is either of those things?

    I know I don't.

  12. Re: xorg.conf

    Central Scrutinizer wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    >>> As I just yesterday, exchanged my 17' CRT Monitor with a 19' LCD
    >>> I'll recap the story of how I got the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the
    >>> "Live-CD".
    >>>

    >> And why would you do this?

    > I've done that a couple times now after borking up an original.

    If you're this prone to "borking up an original", why don't you just do this
    after a fresh install or before playing around with xorg.conf:

    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original

    .... and have a backup readily available.

    > It's a
    > handy way of generating a usable default. Boot to the LiveCD, mount
    > the partition in question, and copy over the file. Just like magic your
    > "dead" system is transformed into a full working model.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>> Hope this will be helpful to someone down the road... :-)
    >>>

    >> Probably not as it's a very convoluted way to get a fresh xorg.conf
    >> installed. :-)

    > Is there an easier, less convoluted way to create a fully working
    > xorg.conf file? Do you *really* think blowing away the offending bad
    > file and running 'dpkg reconfigure' is either of those things?

    Yes. Another option to create a new xorg.conf is to run the Xorg command
    with the -configure option. See: man Xorg for more info. The previous
    command is probably a better option. Also, some proprietary drivers come
    with a utility to create a fresh xorg.conf. One example is the command
    fglrxconf for ATI proprietary drivers.

    > I know I don't.

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.
    This US president declared a war on terror. Terror won.
    Next?

  13. Re: xorg.conf

    Brian wrote:

    > Okay got it. Now I have xorg.conf. WooHoo. Thanks for your help.
    > It still didn't fix the issue I have with the touchpad but hey, I
    > learned something. Thanks again.

    Did you get your Touchpad working?

    --
    Little Girl

    There is no spoon.

  14. Re: xorg.conf

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:09:14 -0500, brian
    wrote:

    >okay, I've hit google and a couple of linux (ubuntu) sites and for the
    >life of me I cannot find xorg.conf file. It should be in the ~/etc/X11/
    >folder but it's not (I did a search for it also). I need to edit it to
    >use the Gsynaptics touchpad program. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with gnome
    >(haven't change anything from a clean install from the livecd. Does
    >anyone know where I might find it?
    >
    >tia

    I'm not sure if anyone has replied to this in this manner... There is
    a command called "locate" in Linux. In terminal type "locate
    xorg.conf" and it will show you ever instance of it on your system
    along with it's path.

    Lee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2