GPartEd to make extended - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on GPartEd to make extended - Ubuntu ; I want to make an extended partition using linux tools, preferably a graphical one. I used to do this with an old Partition Magic 4 when I was having multiple partitions between Win98 & linux distros. I'm working on this ...

  1. GPartEd to make extended

    I want to make an extended partition using linux tools, preferably a
    graphical one.

    I used to do this with an old Partition Magic 4 when I was having
    multiple partitions between Win98 & linux distros. I'm working on this
    problem with all linux distros and I can't figure out how to do it with
    GPartEd or other partition managers.

    I have a 37 GiB hdd which currently has 4 primary linux parts, 3
    bootable and 1 swap (Ub 7.10, Linspire2, UbFeisty). I want to change
    one of my primaries to an extended and I'm willing to sacrifice/format
    the partition where that part lives, ie lose that Feisty install,
    because I'm going to install something else (Mint4) on the drive space
    where the old Feisty lives. I want the part to be extended because I
    also want to put another distro on that drive.

    When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of primary.

    Do I need to haul out my old PM4 disk to do this, or can I do it with a
    graphical linux PM or do I have to do it with commandlines?

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    > change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of primary.
    >
    > Do I need to haul out my old PM4 disk to do this, or can I do it with a
    > graphical linux PM or do I have to do it with commandlines?

    Basically, you can't work on a drive that is mounted (in use). Boot the
    live CD and you should be good to go. Partedmagic (a bootable CD) is
    also an option.

  3. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:13:03 +0000, Derek Turner wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    >> change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of primary.
    >>
    >> Do I need to haul out my old PM4 disk to do this, or can I do it with a
    >> graphical linux PM or do I have to do it with commandlines?
    >>

    > Basically, you can't work on a drive that is mounted (in use). Boot the
    > live CD and you should be good to go. Partedmagic (a bootable CD) is
    > also an option.

    You can also unmount the device as long as it isn't needed by the OS.
    Didn't see the original post so no way I can determine if sd4 is part of
    the OP's current bootable system partitions. I use QParted BTW so I assume
    GParted is the Gnome version.

  4. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I want to make an extended partition using linux tools, preferably a
    > graphical one.

    > When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    > change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of
    > primary.

    Nevermind, I've got it worked out.

    The problem is that gparted can't make a 'new' partition in the
    configuration I offered it. I needed to delete both the swap and the
    feisty partitions so that I had 2 used chunks/partitions for Gutsy and
    Freespire2 and 1 unused chunk/unallocated. Then I could make a new
    partition in the unallocated and in making a new partition I could make
    it extended and then use the extended to make new logical parts for the
    swap and the space for the Mist4.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    >> change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of
    >> primary.

    > Basically, you can't work on a drive that is mounted (in use). Boot
    > the live CD and you should be good to go. Partedmagic (a bootable CD)
    > is also an option.

    I have a systemrescue live cd that I was using, but it won't let you
    have access to 'new' if you have 4 of any kind of partitions.

    You have to get rid of partitions so that you can access the 'new'
    function. When you have access to new you can choose to make the new
    part extended. You cannot change a primary part to an extended one
    'directly'.

    --
    Mike Easter

  6. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Mike Easter wrote:
    >> I want to make an extended partition using linux tools, preferably a
    >> graphical one.

    > Nevermind, I've got it worked out.

    I have a new problem in the form of fsck failure that is recoverable.

    My new status is that I have the first part a reiserfs w/ freespire2, my
    next is ext3 UbGutsy, my next is an extended with its first logical ext3
    Mint4 and next is a logical swap.

    Now when I boot, grub is in a Mint face (the newest install) and when I
    choose UbGutsy the splash graphic progress bar proceeds about 1/3, then
    a screen tells me...

    fsck died with exit status 8. File system check failed. log saved in
    /var/log/fsck/checkfs. Please repair the file system manually. Then
    follows a series of bash command not found and leaves me at
    root@geode: ~#

    ....but then if I ctrl-alt-del, the boot process proceeds to the normal
    graphical login and everything is working.

    If I access the above named log, I find:

    Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
    Wed Dec 5 20:51:40 2007

    fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    Replaying journal..
    Reiserfs journal '/dev/sda1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions
    replayed
    Checking internal tree..finished
    Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    journal
    Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682820 by 4096 bytes
    Filesystem is clean
    fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=9667d941-ed71-4e8b-8556-2154b770dd5a'
    Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    journal
    Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682820 by 4096 bytes
    Filesystem is clean
    fsck died with exit status 8

    Wed Dec 5 20:51:49 2007
    ----------------

    I presume the UUID=etc is something that got picked up or created
    with/during the creation of the extended partition or something.

    I wonder how I fix this?

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    >> change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of primary.
    >>
    >> Do I need to haul out my old PM4 disk to do this, or can I do it with
    >> a graphical linux PM or do I have to do it with commandlines?
    >>

    > Basically, you can't work on a drive that is mounted (in use). Boot the
    > live CD and you should be good to go. Partedmagic (a bootable CD) is
    > also an option.

    That's not 100% correct: you *can* re-partition a drive which is in-use,
    but the changes won't be visible until the next reboot (or you could
    also umount all partitions and the re-run the partitioner and tell it to
    re-write an unchanged partition table).

    Josef
    Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)

  8. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> I want to make an extended partition using linux tools, preferably a
    >>> graphical one.

    >> Nevermind, I've got it worked out.

    > I have a new problem in the form of fsck failure that is recoverable.
    >
    > My new status is that I have the first part a reiserfs w/ freespire2, my
    > next is ext3 UbGutsy, my next is an extended with its first logical ext3
    > Mint4 and next is a logical swap.
    >
    > Now when I boot, grub is in a Mint face (the newest install) and when I
    > choose UbGutsy the splash graphic progress bar proceeds about 1/3, then
    > a screen tells me...
    >
    > fsck died with exit status 8. File system check failed. log saved in
    > /var/log/fsck/checkfs. Please repair the file system manually. Then
    > follows a series of bash command not found and leaves me at
    > root@geode: ~#
    >
    > ...but then if I ctrl-alt-del, the boot process proceeds to the normal
    > graphical login and everything is working.
    >
    > If I access the above named log, I find:
    >
    > Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
    > Wed Dec 5 20:51:40 2007
    >
    > fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    > Replaying journal..
    > Reiserfs journal '/dev/sda1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions
    > replayed
    > Checking internal tree..finished
    > Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    > journal
    > Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682820 by 4096 bytes
    > Filesystem is clean
    > fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=9667d941-ed71-4e8b-8556-2154b770dd5a'
    > Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    > journal
    > Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682820 by 4096 bytes
    > Filesystem is clean
    > fsck died with exit status 8
    >
    > Wed Dec 5 20:51:49 2007
    > ----------------
    >
    > I presume the UUID=etc is something that got picked up or created
    > with/during the creation of the extended partition or something.
    >
    > I wonder how I fix this?

    The system is obviously reading a fstab file. Which one is using UUID? You
    can edit the "offending" fstab and use the old /dev/ devices instead. Will
    that fix your problem?

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

  9. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    NoStop wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> I have a new problem in the form of fsck failure that is recoverable.
    >>
    >> My new status is that I have the first part a reiserfs w/
    >> freespire2, my next is ext3 UbGutsy, my next is an extended with its
    >> first logical ext3 Mint4 and next is a logical swap.
    >>
    >> Now when I boot, grub is in a Mint face (the newest install) and
    >> when I choose UbGutsy the splash graphic progress bar proceeds about
    >> 1/3, then a screen tells me...
    >>
    >> fsck died with exit status 8. File system check failed. log saved
    >> in /var/log/fsck/checkfs. Please repair the file system manually.
    >> Then follows a series of bash command not found and leaves me at
    >> root@geode: ~#
    >>
    >> ...but then if I ctrl-alt-del, the boot process proceeds to the
    >> normal graphical login and everything is working.
    >>
    >> If I access the above named log, I find:
    >>
    >> Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
    >> Wed Dec 5 20:51:40 2007
    >>
    >> fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    >> Replaying journal..
    >> Reiserfs journal '/dev/sda1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions
    >> replayed
    >> Checking internal tree..finished
    >> Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    >> journal
    >> Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682820 by 4096 bytes
    >> Filesystem is clean
    >> fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve
    >> 'UUID=9667d941-ed71-4e8b-8556-2154b770dd5a' Reiserfs super block in
    >> block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard journal
    >> Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682820 by 4096 bytes
    >> Filesystem is clean
    >> fsck died with exit status 8
    >>
    >> Wed Dec 5 20:51:49 2007
    >> ----------------
    >>
    >> I presume the UUID=etc is something that got picked up or created
    >> with/during the creation of the extended partition or something.
    >>
    >> I wonder how I fix this?
    >>

    > The system is obviously reading a fstab file. Which one is using
    > UUID? You can edit the "offending" fstab and use the old /dev/
    > devices instead. Will that fix your problem?

    Thanks for your input. I found some information about the fstab
    condition since last post.

    Now I have fixed the fstab file in /etc/fstab of the UbGutsy part to
    contain no UUID, only /dev/sda* where * is the appropriate part 1=Gutsy
    2=Freespire 4=Mint

    I'm reading that I may also need to fix the menu.lst but I'm not sure
    which one. But now I don't have a UUID information problem; I have a
    different kind of fsck failure and different information in the
    /var/log/fsck/checkfs file

    The loading graphic quits about the same time and I get:

    The superblock could not be read or does not desscribe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and really contains an ext2
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fs ck with an alternate
    superblock:

    e2fsck -b 8193 (device)

    Then I get the similar series of failed bash commands and the
    information about where the log is: log is in /var/log/fsck/checkfs

    Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
    Thu Dec 6 09:09:32 2007

    fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    Replaying journal..
    Reiserfs journal '/dev/sda1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions
    replayed
    Checking internal tree..finished
    Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    journal
    Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682797 by 4096 bytes
    Filesystem is clean
    fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4
    /dev/sda4:
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
    superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193

    Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    journal
    Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682797 by 4096 bytes
    Filesystem is clean
    fsck died with exit status 8

    Thu Dec 6 09:09:41 2007
    ----------------

    It seems to me that the fsck is trying to open /dev/sda4 /dev/sda4
    (duplicating the devicename) but I don't know where it is getting that.

    The problem recovers the same way as before. I use ctrl-alt-delete and
    the boot process continues on to the graphical login.

    --
    Mike Easter

  10. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Mike Easter wrote:

> [...]

    > filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    > filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    > is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
    > superblock:
    > e2fsck -b 8193
    >
    > Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    > journal
    > Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682797 by 4096 bytes
    > Filesystem is clean
    > fsck died with exit status 8
    >
    > Thu Dec 6 09:09:41 2007
    > ----------------
    >

    > It seems to me that the fsck is trying to open /dev/sda4 /dev/sda4
    > (duplicating the devicename) but I don't know where it is getting that.
    >
    > The problem recovers the same way as before. I use ctrl-alt-delete and
    > the boot process continues on to the graphical login.

    Your MBR should be pointing to the last grub you installed. So you should
    know from that which /boot/grub/ you need to deal with.

    Cheers.

    --
    Ubuntu 7.10 ... wow!
    http;//www.ubuntu.com

  11. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > information about where the log is: log is in /var/log/fsck/checkfs

    I'm trying to interpret this log of fsck in the above mentioned log
    file:

    > Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
    > Thu Dec 6 09:09:32 2007
    >
    > fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
    > Replaying journal..
    > Reiserfs journal '/dev/sda1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions
    > replayed
    > Checking internal tree..finished
    > Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    > journal
    > Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682797 by 4096 bytes
    > Filesystem is clean
    > fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda4

    What is this /dev/sda4?

    I have no such operational device. I have sda1, sda2 which are
    operational partitions. I have sda3 which is my extended partition. My
    extended partition's first logical drive is sda5 which is Mint4 and then
    sda6 which is linux-swap.

    > /dev/sda4:
    > The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    > filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    > filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the
    > superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an
    > alternate superblock:
    > e2fsck -b 8193

    < commenting the checkfs file again about e2fsck command>

    I have no idea what the e2fsck command is all about or what it might
    have to do with my problem with the fsck process trying to digest
    something about a non-existent sda4 or what I can do about it.

    > Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x801 of format 3.6 with standard
    > journal
    > Blocks (total/free): 1279152/682797 by 4096 bytes
    > Filesystem is clean
    > fsck died with exit status 8
    >
    > Thu Dec 6 09:09:41 2007
    > ----------------
    >

    > The problem recovers the same way as before. I use ctrl-alt-delete
    > and the boot process continues on to the graphical login.

    For reasons that I don't understand, I am able to recover from the
    confusion which only occurs when I try to manage the grub by booting
    into sda2 UbGuts. If I boot into sda1 Linsp2 or into sda5 Mint4, I
    don't have any problems in spite of their having funky mount points that
    I've never heard of.

    Some mountpoints have evolved into the following

    /dev/sda1 reiserLinspire2 /media/sda1
    /dev/sda2 ext3UbGuts /./dev/.static/dev
    /dev/sda3 extended
    /dev/sda5 ext3Mint4 /media/disk
    /dev/sda6 linux-swap

    What is with this '/./dev/.static/dev' mountpoint business for the sda2
    which is having a little trouble booting? Where did that come from?
    Always in the past my mountpoints have been sensible.

    --
    Mike Easter

  12. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:50:31 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > What is this /dev/sda4?
    >
    > I have no such operational device. I have sda1, sda2 which are
    > operational partitions. I have sda3 which is my extended partition. My
    > extended partition's first logical drive is sda5 which is Mint4 and then
    > sda6 which is linux-swap.

    sda4 is the extented partition where the sda5+ partitions reside.

  13. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:45:01 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    >>> change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of
    >>> primary.

    >> Basically, you can't work on a drive that is mounted (in use). Boot the
    >> live CD and you should be good to go. Partedmagic (a bootable CD) is
    >> also an option.

    > I have a systemrescue live cd that I was using, but it won't let you
    > have access to 'new' if you have 4 of any kind of partitions.
    >
    > You have to get rid of partitions so that you can access the 'new'
    > function. When you have access to new you can choose to make the new
    > part extended. You cannot change a primary part to an extended one
    > 'directly'.

    Not to mention that partition types cannot be "changed". If it is a
    primary partition, that's what it is. You can only have 4 primary
    partitions on a drive, so if you have them, there is no "new".

    You can delete a primary, and create an extended, then add logical
    partitions to that. Once you have 3 primaries and an extended, you can
    add metric buttloads of logical partitions... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  14. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 09:30:23 +0100, Josef Moellers wrote:

    > Derek Turner wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I look at the disk with GPartEd, I can't see any tool to
    >>> change/reformat/edit the Fesity (sd4) to be extended instead of
    >>> primary.
    >>>
    >>> Do I need to haul out my old PM4 disk to do this, or can I do it with
    >>> a graphical linux PM or do I have to do it with commandlines?
    >>>

    >> Basically, you can't work on a drive that is mounted (in use). Boot the
    >> live CD and you should be good to go. Partedmagic (a bootable CD) is
    >> also an option.

    > That's not 100% correct: you *can* re-partition a drive which is in-use,
    > but the changes won't be visible until the next reboot (or you could
    > also umount all partitions and the re-run the partitioner and tell it to
    > re-write an unchanged partition table).
    >
    > Josef

    Or, exit the partitioner and run partprobe...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  15. Re: GPartEd to make extended

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:28:06 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:45:01 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> Derek Turner wrote:

    >>> Basically, you can't work on a drive that is mounted (in use). Boot
    >>> the live CD and you should be good to go. Partedmagic (a bootable CD)
    >>> is also an option.

    >> I have a systemrescue live cd that I was using, but it won't let you
    >> have access to 'new' if you have 4 of any kind of partitions.
    >>
    >> You have to get rid of partitions so that you can access the 'new'
    >> function. When you have access to new you can choose to make the new
    >> part extended. You cannot change a primary part to an extended one
    >> 'directly'.

    > Not to mention that partition types cannot be "changed". If it is a
    > primary partition, that's what it is. You can only have 4 primary
    > partitions on a drive, so if you have them, there is no "new".
    >
    > You can delete a primary, and create an extended, then add logical
    > partitions to that. Once you have 3 primaries and an extended, you can
    > add metric buttloads of logical partitions... ;-)

    You don't *need* the full 3 primary partitions before creating an
    extended partition - you can use less - I suggest you make one primary
    partition though and use it for /boot, or whatever.

    --
    Jeremy Boden
    "64 bits good, 32 bits bad"

+ Reply to Thread