Does Flash work in Firefox? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Does Flash work in Firefox? - Ubuntu ; Using 7.10 I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while that worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash content. Every time I go to a site like Youtube I get a ...

  1. Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Using 7.10

    I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while that
    worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash content.

    Every time I go to a site like Youtube I get a prompt to install the
    missing add on (Adobe Flash) even though I have already done so.

    I've tried other *nix distros and those would not work with Flash either,
    so it is appearing that this common issue. Any suggestions for getting
    this to work if possible?

    Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the browser
    as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is annoying.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:24:11 +0000, Marshall wrote:

    > Using 7.10
    >
    > I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while that
    > worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash content.
    >
    > Every time I go to a site like Youtube I get a prompt to install the
    > missing add on (Adobe Flash) even though I have already done so.
    >
    > I've tried other *nix distros and those would not work with Flash either,
    > so it is appearing that this common issue. Any suggestions for getting
    > this to work if possible?
    >
    > Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the browser
    > as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is annoying.
    >
    > Thanks

    Try flashplugin-nonfree which is in multiverse (on 7.04). This will
    automatically download the plugin from Adobe. Youtube works with it.

    --
    Phil Stovell, Hampshire, UK

  3. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:25:42 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:24:11 +0000, Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> Using 7.10
    >>
    >> I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while
    >> that worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash
    >> content.
    >>
    >> Every time I go to a site like Youtube I get a prompt to install the
    >> missing add on (Adobe Flash) even though I have already done so.
    >>
    >> I've tried other *nix distros and those would not work with Flash
    >> either, so it is appearing that this common issue. Any suggestions for
    >> getting this to work if possible?
    >>
    >> Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the
    >> browser as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is
    >> annoying.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Try flashplugin-nonfree which is in multiverse (on 7.04). This will
    > automatically download the plugin from Adobe. Youtube works with it.

    Is there any hope for 64 bit?
    Gnash only works on simple flash - just goes splodgy on anything
    complicated. Gnashing of teeth...

    Flash works in swiftFox.

    --
    Jeremy Boden
    "64 bits good, 32 bits bad"

  4. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Marshall wrote:
    > Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the browser
    > as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is annoying.

    In the Firefox address bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes),
    scroll down to "browser.backspace_action ..." (or use Filter) and set it
    to zero.

    Dean

  5. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Jeremy Boden wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:25:42 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:24:11 +0000, Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using 7.10
    >>>
    >>> I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while
    >>> that worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash
    >>> content.
    >>>
    >>> Every time I go to a site like Youtube I get a prompt to install the
    >>> missing add on (Adobe Flash) even though I have already done so.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried other *nix distros and those would not work with Flash
    >>> either, so it is appearing that this common issue. Any suggestions for
    >>> getting this to work if possible?
    >>>
    >>> Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the
    >>> browser as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is
    >>> annoying.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Try flashplugin-nonfree which is in multiverse (on 7.04). This will
    >> automatically download the plugin from Adobe. Youtube works with it.

    > Is there any hope for 64 bit?

    Does this contradict your sig?

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

  6. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Marshall wrote:

    > Using 7.10
    >

    > Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the browser
    > as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is annoying.

    You can try changing your xorg.conf file ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) so that the
    InputDevice section for your mouse reads like this:

    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"

    You'll need to restart X after making changes: CTRL+ALT+Backspace

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.
    This US president declared a war on terror. Terror won.
    Next?

  7. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:47:13 -0800, Dean DeBruin wrote:

    > In the Firefox address bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes),
    > scroll down to "browser.backspace_action ..." (or use Filter) and set it
    > to zero.
    >
    > Dean

    Thanks very much Dean, that made my day.

    Cheers

  8. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:57:16 -0800, NoStop wrote:

    > Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> Using 7.10
    >>

    >> Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the
    >> browser as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is
    >> annoying.
    >>

    > You can try changing your xorg.conf file ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) so that
    > the InputDevice section for your mouse reads like this:
    >
    > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    > Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7" Option
    > "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    >
    > You'll need to restart X after making changes: CTRL+ALT+Backspace
    >
    > Cheers.

    Hmm, on my other computer I'm using a Kensington four button trackball
    (Expert Mouse). Do you think this solution will be suitable for that one?

    The solution that Dean gave me works fine for the laptop I'm using right
    now but I'd love to be able to map a universal back button to my mouse on
    my other system.

    Thanks

  9. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:25:42 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:

    > Try flashplugin-nonfree which is in multiverse (on 7.04). This will
    > automatically download the plugin from Adobe. Youtube works with it.

    I'll give that a try.

    Thanks Phil

  10. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Marshall wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:47:13 -0800, Dean DeBruin wrote:
    >
    >> In the Firefox address bar, type "about:config" (without the quotes),
    >> scroll down to "browser.backspace_action ..." (or use Filter) and set it
    >> to zero.
    >>
    >> Dean

    > Thanks very much Dean, that made my day.
    >
    > Cheers

    Glad to help.

    I frequently type URLs into the address bar so I also set

    "browser:urlbar:clickSelectsAll ... true".

    I find it faster typing the first few letters of a URL from my History
    list than using Bookmarks for those sites which I go to regularly.

    Dean

  11. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Marshall wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:57:16 -0800, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using 7.10
    >>>

    >>> Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the
    >>> browser as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is
    >>> annoying.
    >>>

    >> You can try changing your xorg.conf file ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) so that
    >> the InputDevice section for your mouse reads like this:
    >>
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >> Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7" Option
    >> "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    >>
    >> You'll need to restart X after making changes: CTRL+ALT+Backspace
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Hmm, on my other computer I'm using a Kensington four button trackball
    > (Expert Mouse). Do you think this solution will be suitable for that one?
    >
    > The solution that Dean gave me works fine for the laptop I'm using right
    > now but I'd love to be able to map a universal back button to my mouse on
    > my other system.
    >
    > Thanks

    I'm sorry but I have no experience with that device. Try it and see.

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.
    This US president declared a war on terror. Terror won.
    Next?

  12. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:24:11 +0000, Marshall wrote:

    > Using 7.10
    >
    > I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while that
    > worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash content.
    >
    > Every time I go to a site like Youtube I get a prompt to install the
    > missing add on (Adobe Flash) even though I have already done so.
    >
    > I've tried other *nix distros and those would not work with Flash either,
    > so it is appearing that this common issue. Any suggestions for getting
    > this to work if possible?
    >
    > Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the browser
    > as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is annoying.
    >
    > Thanks

    Just put the two flash bins in the right directory.

  13. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Marshall wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 06:57:16 -0800, NoStop wrote:
    >
    >> Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using 7.10
    >>>

    >>> Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the
    >>> browser as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is
    >>> annoying.
    >>>

    >> You can try changing your xorg.conf file ( /etc/X11/xorg.conf ) so that
    >> the InputDevice section for your mouse reads like this:
    >>
    >> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    >> Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7" Option
    >> "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    >>
    >> You'll need to restart X after making changes: CTRL+ALT+Backspace
    >>
    >> Cheers.

    > Hmm, on my other computer I'm using a Kensington four button trackball
    > (Expert Mouse). Do you think this solution will be suitable for that one?

    Run xev in a terminal and try all the buttons, etc. Note the numbers
    corresponding to the clicks. Then you can work out what numbers go where
    in the order.
    (btw, why would we want to go back? That's why dog created tabbed
    browsing! *g*)

  14. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:24:11 +0000, Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> Using 7.10
    >>
    >> I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while that
    >> worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash content.
    >>

    > Just put the two flash bins in the right directory.

    works fine on my other xubuntu 7.10 box:

    flash (install with closed web browser):
    gnash
    mozilla-plugin-gnash
    Version test, adobe.com: gsh 8.0.99.0 (or updated & higher)

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 - (bubbling around, sometimes ...)."
    Loads inexpensive, nice usable xoftware ... (^-^)

  15. Re: Does Flash work in Firefox?

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:09:12 +0000, Jeremy Boden wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:25:42 +0000, Phil Stovell wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:24:11 +0000, Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using 7.10
    >>>
    >>> I installed Adobe Flash as I've tried the GnuFlash before and while
    >>> that worked a little it stuttered badly when I tried to view Flash
    >>> content.
    >>>
    >>> Every time I go to a site like Youtube I get a prompt to install the
    >>> missing add on (Adobe Flash) even though I have already done so.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried other *nix distros and those would not work with Flash
    >>> either, so it is appearing that this common issue. Any suggestions for
    >>> getting this to work if possible?
    >>>
    >>> Also I wonder if there is a way to enable the back button for the
    >>> browser as I find having to mouse up to the button on the browser is
    >>> annoying.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Try flashplugin-nonfree which is in multiverse (on 7.04). This will
    >> automatically download the plugin from Adobe. Youtube works with it.

    > Is there any hope for 64 bit?
    > Gnash only works on simple flash - just goes splodgy on anything
    > complicated. Gnashing of teeth...
    >
    > Flash works in swiftFox.

    Not sure about Feisty, but installing flashplugin-nonfree in Gutsy 64-Bit
    works fine, or at least did. The current version in the repos has an MD5
    error, and won't install. There is a launchpad ticket opened, and I have
    been assured that the corrected version is coming very soon.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

+ Reply to Thread