Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!" - Ubuntu ; Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10 signifies a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04 was from April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one should be 8.04, ...

  1. Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10 signifies
    a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04 was from
    April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.

    This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    already familiar with this matter.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||

  2. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    On 2007-12-03, arvimide@earthlink.net wrote:
    just a suggestion

    > Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10 signifies
    > a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon.

    a version released in October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon.

    > 7.04 was from

    7.04 was released on

    > April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    > should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    > system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.

    Longer-term stable releases, suited to production environments, use an "LTS" extension.
    The first being being 6.06LTS (commonly known as Dappaer Drake.) The next LTS release is due on
    x.xx.

    > This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    > already familiar with this matter.

    --
    l'air du temps

  3. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    "arvimide@earthlink.net" writes:

    > Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10
    > signifies a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04
    > was from
    > April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    > should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    > system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.
    >

    > This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    > already familiar with this matter.

    Please do NOT post this on a weekly basis. It is totally unnecessary and
    uncalled for.

    --
    Universities are places of knowledge. The freshman each bring a little
    in with them, and the seniors take none away, so knowledge accumulates.

  4. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    Hadron wrote:

    > "arvimide@earthlink.net" writes:
    >
    >> Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10
    >> signifies a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04
    >> was from
    >> April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    >> should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    >> system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.
    >>

    >> This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    >> already familiar with this matter.

    > Please do NOT post this on a weekly basis. It is totally unnecessary and
    > uncalled for.

    Hadron Quark, the groups spokesman, has decided

    Yet when anybody else would imply something he does not approve of, be sure
    to read Hadron's accusations of "netnannying" or worse
    --
    Another name for a Windows tutorial is crash course

  5. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    Hadron wrote:

    > "arvimide@earthlink.net" writes:
    >
    >> Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10
    >> signifies a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04
    >> was from
    >> April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    >> should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    >> system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.
    >>

    >> This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    >> already familiar with this matter.

    > Please do NOT post this on a weekly basis. It is totally unnecessary and
    > uncalled for.

    Why, when so many newcomers to Ubuntu seem to be unaware of the versioning
    system used? One little message, posted once a week comes nowhere close to
    clogging up this ng like much of the **** you post here. Besides, who
    appointed you king?

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.

  6. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    NoStop wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> "arvimide@earthlink.net"

    >>> Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering,

    >>> This notice is repeated weekly.

    >> Please do NOT post this on a weekly basis.

    > Why,

    .... because weekly notices can become tiresome and because the kinds of
    background information that might be useful to a newcomer to be aware of
    will not have been read by the newcomer who does not make it a point to
    'background' read a newsgroup's old messages before they post or ask a
    question.

    Even if there were a great faq full of useful links and other similar
    information, it might be of questionable value to post it on a regular
    basis. In this case the version announcement is useful and seems to be
    a very minor contribution to the group's traffic, ie a positive
    contribution not negative. Certainly much less obnoxious that so many
    of those posters who would spat and spit into the group with various ad
    hominem flames and attacks.

    > when so many newcomers to Ubuntu seem to be unaware of the
    > versioning system used?

    That is very true.

    > One little message, posted once a week comes
    > nowhere close to clogging up this ng

    That too is very true.

    The ad hominem part of your message I trimmed without comment.

    --
    Mike Easter

  7. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > The ad hominem part of your message I trimmed without comment.

    Whatever makes you feel better - go for it. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    A US president declared war on poverty. Poverty won.
    Another US president declared a war on drugs. Drugs won.
    This US president declared a war on terror. Terror won.
    Next?

  8. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    Hadron wrote:

    > "arvimide@earthlink.net" writes:
    >
    >> Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10
    >> signifies a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04
    >> was from
    >> April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    >> should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    >> system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.
    >>

    >> This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    >> already familiar with this matter.

    > Please do NOT post this on a weekly basis. It is totally unnecessary and
    > uncalled for.

    It's a whole lot more valuable than your horse flop.

  9. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    On 2007-12-03, arvimide@earthlink.net wrote:

    [...]

    > This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    > already familiar with this matter.

    Many NGs post a FAQs every week or so. I wonder if this is the time
    for an aolu FAQs to be drawn up?

    Andrew

    --
    "For the God who sings"
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/ftgws.html

  10. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    "NoStop" wrote in message
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> "arvimide@earthlink.net" writes:
    >>
    >>> Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10
    >>> signifies a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon. 7.04
    >>> was from
    >>> April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    >>> should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    >>> system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.
    >>>

    >>> This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    >>> already familiar with this matter.

    >> Please do NOT post this on a weekly basis. It is totally unnecessary and
    >> uncalled for.
    >>

    > Why, when so many newcomers to Ubuntu seem to be unaware of the versioning
    > system used? One little message, posted once a week comes nowhere close to
    > clogging up this ng like much of the **** you post here. Besides, who
    > appointed you king?

    Why? Because its absolutley pointless. You can read that info in the 'about'
    menu of your Ubuntu installation. I would be so bold as to suggest that
    anyone who was arsed about what version they had may of already looked
    rather than rely on a banal posting of what version they have and maybe
    leading them to change uneccesarliy in the desire to keep up.

  11. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>> "arvimide@earthlink.net"

    >>> Please do NOT post this on a weekly basis.

    >> Why,

    > ... because weekly notices can become tiresome and because the
    > kinds of background information that might be useful to a newcomer
    > to be aware of will not have been read by the newcomer who does
    > not make it a point to 'background' read a newsgroup's old messages
    > before they post or ask a question.

    Then it seems to me to be easy for you, who dislike it so much, to
    snip the subject line and enter it into a filter to reject all such
    posts. After which you will be happy, not seeing any such posts,
    and we will be happy, because the newbies have been alerted.

    Your other choice is to continue generating 10 times the traffic
    caused by the weekly posting by injecting your regular objections
    and then arguing with those who approve.

    Maybe you can find a third option? I don't think the posts are
    going to stop for you.

    Try the download section.

  12. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    jane doa wrote:
    > On 2007-12-03, arvimide@earthlink.net wrote:
    > just a suggestion
    >
    >> Ubuntu is named by date, not by consecutive numbering, so 7.10 signifies
    >> a system from October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon.

    > a version released in October, 2007, also called Gutsy Gibbon.
    >
    >> 7.04 was from

    > 7.04 was released on
    >
    >> April, 2007, Feisty Fawn. They come six months apart, and the next one
    >> should be 8.04, April, 2008, Hardy Heron. 7.1 has no meaning in this
    >> system, and 7.01, i. e., January, 2007, just didn't happen.

    > Longer-term stable releases, suited to production environments, use an "LTS" extension.
    > The first being being 6.06LTS (commonly known as Dappaer Drake.) The next LTS release is due on
    > x.xx.
    >

    >> This notice is repeated weekly. Apologies for the intrusion on those
    >> already familiar with this matter.

    Your corrections and emendations are quite in order, but I think you
    missed the merriment that met this posting last week and the discussion
    of its origin the week before. Several newbies a week proudly announced
    their installation of "7.1", which prompted sometimes testy replies from
    veteran posters.

    My purpose is solely to inform newbies of the difference between 7.1 and
    7.10 in Ubuntu-speak and avoid multiple postings every time this
    misunderstanding of our nomenclature manifests itself afresh. I thought
    about explaining LTS, too, but I decided to leave that to the Ubuntu web
    site and forums pages, where it is clearly enough presented to
    downloaders. It isn't related to the peculiar misunderstanding addressed
    in my notice.

    It is more a matter of amusement than surprise that veteran posters to
    this message group pay attention to a notice which announces itself as
    information for newbies only. I think we boiled it down to its
    essentials in the preliminary discussion, which originated in a thread
    originally entitled "Mouse pointer is to small"(Sic!). Comments and
    replies are available in last week's thread of messages entitled "Notice
    to Newcomers."

    Honest, it is my intention to minimize the number of messages on this
    topic, not to provide a rich new source for disputes. Sincere thanks for
    your interest.

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

  13. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , andrew wrote:

    >Many NGs post a FAQs every week or so.

    Varies considerably. The FAQ posted to several of the comp.os.linux.*
    groups is repeated twice a week, while a near identical version is
    posted to alt.os.linux.mandriva randomly when the poster happens to
    think of it. Most of the FAQs to old/established Big Eight groups
    tend to be once or (most commonly) twice a month.

    >I wonder if this is the time for an aolu FAQs to be drawn up?

    I'd suspect it is, but most new posters for whom the FAQ would be
    most beneficial can't be bothered to read any existing articles on
    their spool - preferring to post their question without noticing that
    the same question has been asked dozens of times in the past month.
    This may be noticed in the (usually) weekly group statistics post
    often seen in the same newsgroups. Part of that problem is also
    caused by posters using subjects that relate to what they are trying
    to discuss (actually, this group is better than some of the others
    I scan daily - 25 articles on my spool have the subject "Help" and
    nothing else, 11 have the subject "Hello" - I don't bother reading
    either of those).

    The informational RFC1855 ("Netiquette Guidelines" published in 1995)
    recommended that you read the newsgroup (or mailing list) for one to
    two _months_ before you post anything (Section 3.1.1, first paragraph),
    and NO ONE would think of doing anything like that today, which is one
    reason you see posts that are so far off the wall.

    Old guy

  14. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    In Moe Trin:

    [Snip...]

    > one reason you see posts that are so far off the wall

    FWIW, there's also Google, who seems hellbent on wrecking whatever's left
    of Usenet after trolls and lunatics like Hipcrime run completely amok.

  15. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    On Wednesday 05 Dec 2007 10:24 am, Harold Stevens wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > In Moe Trin:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> one reason you see posts that are so far off the wall

    > FWIW, there's also Google, who seems hellbent on wrecking whatever's left
    > of Usenet after trolls and lunatics like Hipcrime run completely amok.

    Google don't seem to respond to any abuse reports, so a growing number of
    people are blocking them: http://improve-usenet.org/

    And there was an interesting thread in a Supernews group, about having
    Supernews block Googlegroups. Some also suggested applying a UDP to them.
    However Supernews *do* block the majority of hipcrime's spew, & if any leaks
    through from a new source, that gets terminated too.

    we filter about 4% of their (Google) posts as spam, and another 7%
    as excessive crossposting, and my estimate is that about another 8% is spam
    that gets past the filtering. I hope to improve the filtering, but it's going to
    be a bit tricky avoiding getting too many false positives as a result.

    Andrew, Supernews

    Supernews also block anonymous remailers, because of: "Uncontrolled abuse
    (flooding attacks, etc., persisting for long periods of time with no effective
    action taken)."

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3

  16. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    , Harold Stevens wrote:

    >FWIW, there's also Google, who seems hellbent on wrecking whatever's
    >left of Usenet after trolls and lunatics like Hipcrime run completely
    >amok.

    I dunno - for anyone using a real newsreader, score or kill files to
    fix google-garbage are trivial; kill on 'Message-ID: googlegroups.com'.
    Trolls and troll subjects fit right in there.

    [compton ~]$ grep -vE '^([%\[ ]|Score|$)' /var/spool/slrnpull/score |
    cut -d' ' -f1 | sort | uniq -c | column
    910 From: 13 Message-ID: 78 Xref:
    2 Lines: 293 Subject: 2 ~Subject:
    [compton ~]$

    As far as Hipcrime and clones, a lot depends on your news provider
    and how much pressure they are putting on incompetent ISPs who are
    unable to run an etch a sketch without getting it r00ted. The amount
    of traffic in 'news.admin.net-abuse.policy' (relating to on-going
    discussion of a UDP for several providers) is down.

    Old guy

  17. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    <0jci25-837.ln1@amd64.brunel.eu>, William Poaster wrote:

    > Google don't seem to respond to any abuse reports, so a growing number
    >of people are blocking them: http://improve-usenet.org/

    I'm only blocking them on 7 of the 86 groups I try to scan daily. In
    the remaining groups, if I do respond to a google poster, I include
    this at the top of the response:

    I've had a few express disbelief.

    > And there was an interesting thread in a Supernews group, about
    >having Supernews block Googlegroups. Some also suggested applying a
    >UDP to them. However Supernews *do* block the majority of hipcrime's
    >spew, & if any leaks through from a new source, that gets terminated
    >too.

    That's a significant change in the past few weeks, as supernews had
    been getting panned in news.admin.net-abuse.policy for their lack of
    response.

    >we filter about 4% of their (Google) posts as spam, and another 7%
    >as excessive crossposting, and my estimate is that about another 8% is
    >spam that gets past the filtering. I hope to improve the filtering,
    >but it's going to be a bit tricky avoiding getting too many false
    > positives as a result.
    >
    >Andrew, Supernews

    Filtering is fine - I'm using it myself - but they should also be
    screaming at the providers who are the source of the abuse, whether
    it's google, highwinds-media, roadrunner or suddenlink. Usenet has
    lost some of it's mystique and aura since @home.net, and perhaps some
    would not miss it. But then, some would also not miss posts from
    google either. I find it funny that several large Chinese and
    Korean ISPs have set up news servers, rather than rely on google.

    >Supernews also block anonymous remailers, because of: "Uncontrolled
    >abuse (flooding attacks, etc., persisting for long periods of time
    >with no effective action taken)."

    That goes equally about ISPs who don't control access to their news
    servers from their subscribers whose windoze boxes have become the
    latest load of open proxies.

    Old guy

  18. Re: Weekly repost of "Notice to Newcomers!"

    On Thursday 06 Dec 2007 12:56 am, Moe Trin wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > On Wed, 05 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.ubuntu, in article
    > <0jci25-837.ln1@amd64.brunel.eu>, William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> Google don't seem to respond to any abuse reports, so a growing number
    >>of people are blocking them: http://improve-usenet.org/

    > I'm only blocking them on 7 of the 86 groups I try to scan daily. In
    > the remaining groups, if I do respond to a google poster, I include
    > this at the top of the response:
    >
    > NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically
    > reduces the chance of your post being seen. Find a real news server.
    >
    > I've had a few express disbelief.

    Yes, so have I.

    >> And there was an interesting thread in a Supernews group, about
    >>having Supernews block Googlegroups. Some also suggested applying a
    >>UDP to them. However Supernews *do* block the majority of hipcrime's
    >>spew, & if any leaks through from a new source, that gets terminated
    >>too.

    > That's a significant change in the past few weeks, as supernews had
    > been getting panned in news.admin.net-abuse.policy for their lack of
    > response.

    So I saw, but at least they try to do *something*. I was with Giganews for a
    long time, & they did absolutely *nothing*, nor had any plans to.

    >>we filter about 4% of their (Google) posts as spam, and another 7%
    >>as excessive crossposting, and my estimate is that about another 8% is
    >>spam that gets past the filtering. I hope to improve the filtering,
    >>but it's going to be a bit tricky avoiding getting too many false
    >> positives as a result.
    >>
    >>Andrew, Supernews

    > Filtering is fine - I'm using it myself - but they should also be
    > screaming at the providers who are the source of the abuse, whether
    > it's google, highwinds-media, roadrunner or suddenlink.

    Quite agree.

    > Usenet has lost some of it's mystique and aura since @home.net, and perhaps
    > some would not miss it. But then, some would also not miss posts from
    > google either. I find it funny that several large Chinese and
    > Korean ISPs have set up news servers, rather than rely on google.
    >
    >>Supernews also block anonymous remailers, because of: "Uncontrolled
    >>abuse (flooding attacks, etc., persisting for long periods of time
    >>with no effective action taken)."

    > That goes equally about ISPs who don't control access to their news
    > servers from their subscribers whose windoze boxes have become the
    > latest load of open proxies.

    Yes, I agree.

    --
    Operating systems: FreeBSD 6.2 (64bit), PC-BSD 1.4,
    Testing: FreeBSD 7.0-BETA 3
    Linux systems: Kubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" amd64,
    Debian 4.0, PCLinuxOS 2007.

+ Reply to Thread