    Just wanted something new to learn. I got it loaded up on a Dell Dimension
    8200 and connected to the internet and been looking around at the
    applications. My question is: How does one get the drivers for the sound,
    usb ect. Do I have to install something else to open the files I download
    for the drivers. I have the drivers on the dell disks but don't know if they
    are useful. Any initial help would be appreciated, I will continue to read
    some stuff online. Thanks in advance! Mike

  2. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    On 2007-12-02, Mike Roe hit the keyboard and wrote:

    Please set your text-width to something sane, like 72 or so.

    > Hi, Just wanted something new to learn. I got it loaded up
    > on a Dell Dimension 8200 and connected to the internet and
    > been looking around at the applications. My question is:
    > How does one get the drivers for the sound, usb ect. Do I
    > have to install something else to open the files I
    > download for the drivers. I have the drivers on the dell
    > disks but don't know if they are useful. Any initial help
    > would be appreciated, I will continue to read some stuff
    > online.

    Good.

    Now have you installed the neccesary applications?

    As to sound, you can look via a terminal if the appropriate modules
    are loaded:

    Here on my "GG" the command
    "lsmod | grep snd" without the quotes...
    in a terminal gives me this

    snd_emu10k1_synth 8192 0
    snd_emux_synth 35456 1 snd_emu10k1_synth
    snd_seq_virmidi 8064 1 snd_emux_synth
    snd_seq_midi_emul 7680 1 snd_emux_synth
    snd_emu10k1 137248 4 snd_emu10k1_synth
    snd_mpu401 9640 0
    snd_mpu401_uart 9600 1 snd_mpu401
    snd_ac97_codec 100644 1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_seq_dummy 4740 0
    ac97_bus 3200 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm_oss 44672 1
    snd_seq_oss 33152 0
    snd_mixer_oss 17664 2 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_seq_midi 9600 0
    snd_pcm 80388 3 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
    snd_util_mem 5760 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
    snd_rawmidi 25728 4 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_se q_midi
    snd_hwdep 10244 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
    snd_seq_midi_event 8448 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
    snd_seq 53232 9 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,s nd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi _event
    snd_timer 24324 3 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm,snd_seq
    snd_seq_device 9228 8 snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_s eq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_ seq
    snd 54660 17 snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_mpu 401,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd _seq_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_hwd ep,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    soundcore 8800 3 snd

    "lspci": (at the very end of the output)

    02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
    02:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev 07)

    (I didn't type this, or *copy'npaste* I used a buildin feature of
    "vim")

    back to the point, if you have a output like this, then in the same
    terminal type "alsamixer -c 0" (again without the quote)
    and then "unmute" "master" "PM" "wave" and set it to a higher level.

    "groups" in the terminal well tell you if you in the "audio" group.

    As to the "USB" it might be just work out of the box, and you need
    to search under /media for any devices.

    If not, post your questions here..

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."

  3. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    Thanks Dragomir, got the sound working and felt comfortable entering
    the commands in terminal. Is my text size better now? I am retired an
    look forward to learning something new, any links you can recommend.
    Mike

    "Dragomir Kollaric" wrote in message
    news:slrnfl62qc.tuk.Dragomir@Slivowitz.invalid.org ...
> [...]

    > (rev 07)
    > 02:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! Game Port (rev
    > 07)
    >

    > (I didn't type this, or *copy'npaste* I used a buildin feature of
    > "vim")
    >
    > back to the point, if you have a output like this, then in the same
    > terminal type "alsamixer -c 0" (again without the quote)
    > and then "unmute" "master" "PM" "wave" and set it to a higher level.
    >
    > "groups" in the terminal well tell you if you in the "audio" group.
    >
    > As to the "USB" it might be just work out of the box, and you need
    > to search under /media for any devices.
    >
    > If not, post your questions here..
    >
    > Dragomir Kollaric
    > --
    > Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    > produces a 200 fpm descent."
    > Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  4. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    Mike Roe wrote:

    > Thanks Dragomir, got the sound working and felt comfortable entering
    > the commands in terminal. Is my text size better now? I am retired an
    > look forward to learning something new, any links you can recommend.

    Please do not use even right margins. Ragged right is much easier
    to handle later, during quoting, etc.

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

  5. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    Mike Roe wrote:
    > Thanks Dragomir, got the sound working and felt comfortable entering
    > the commands in terminal. Is my text size better now? I am retired an
    > look forward to learning something new, any links you can recommend.
    > Mike

    try this one for a start

    http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

  6. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    On 2007-12-03, Derek Turner hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Mike Roe wrote:
    >> Thanks Dragomir, got the sound working and felt comfortable entering
    >> the commands in terminal. Is my text size better now? I am retired an
    >> look forward to learning something new, any links you can recommend.
    >> Mike
    >>

    > try this one for a start
    >
    > http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

    I didn't have the heart to say so myself...

    @Mike,

    In your first post I responded to, you mentioned something about
    USB, did this work out for you in the mean-time?

    As to reading, there are lots of Information on the net, Ubuntu
    itself has a good instructions. Just google for it, the Home-page
    also should be a good starting point.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    Problem: "Autopilot in altitude hold mode
    produces a 200 fpm descent."
    Solution: "Cannot reproduce problem on ground."

  7. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    CBFalconer illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Please do not use even right margins. Ragged right is much easier
    > to handle later, during quoting, etc.
    >
    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. See the following links:
    >
    > --
    >

    > (taming google)
    > (newusers)

    Oh do shut up you insufferable old fool.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:26:17 +0000, Moog wrote:

    you're done
    *plonk*

  9. Re: Newbie Ubuntu Dell 8200

    Mike Roe wrote:
    > Thanks Dragomir, got the sound working and felt comfortable entering
    > the commands in terminal. Is my text size better now? I am retired an
    > look forward to learning something new, any links you can recommend.
    > Mike

    Welcome!
    The ubuntu main site is well worth using fully
    www.ubuntu.com
    - including the many links to community support etc etc. I find the
    forums pleasant and helpful too.

    I find it useful to learn up on aspects which I need currently, and
    they change anyway. Before long, I may not know everything, but I can
    manage my own computing needs ok. I tried starting with basic help
    sites, but there is so much to see and much of it is not relevant just
    now.
    --
    ac

  10. Re: Newbie Ubuntu/ Dell 8200

    On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:04:05 -0500
    "mr.b" wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 20:26:17 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >

    > you're done
    > *plonk*

    I'm sure that's your loss, not his.

    --
    Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

+ Reply to Thread