KDE desktop on Ubuntu? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on KDE desktop on Ubuntu? - Ubuntu ; Now that I have it installed, is there a way to install the KDE desktop? I will look around, but hopefully someone will point me in the right direction. -- Vance Howard To reply, "remove the trash"....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

  1. KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    Now that I have it installed, is there a way to install the KDE desktop?
    I will look around, but hopefully someone will point me in the right
    direction.
    --
    Vance Howard
    To reply, "remove the trash".

  2. Re: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    Vance Howard wrote:

    > Now that I have it installed, is there a way to install the KDE desktop?
    > I will look around, but hopefully someone will point me in the right
    > direction.

    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop should do nicely

  3. Re: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    Vance Howard wrote:

    > Now that I have it installed, is there a way to install the KDE desktop?
    > I will look around, but hopefully someone will point me in the right
    > direction.


    Make sure the universe repo is enabled. Then in a terminal do:

    sudo apt-get install kdebase kde
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

    When you are logging in, you can choose what desktop to use in that
    session - gnome or kde.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife


  4. Re: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 01:51:53 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:

    > Now that I have it installed, is there a way to install the KDE desktop?
    > I will look around, but hopefully someone will point me in the right
    > direction.


    system -> synaptic. search for kde - install kde desktop.


  5. Re: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 01:51:53 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:
    >
    >> Now that I have it installed, is there a way to install the KDE desktop?
    >> I will look around, but hopefully someone will point me in the right
    >> direction.

    >
    > system -> synaptic. search for kde - install kde desktop.
    >


    Thanks everyone. I initially looked under applications - add/remove, but
    didn't find how to install KDE. I later found System - Administration -
    Synaptic and successfully installed KDE. Do I really need the Kubuntu -
    desktop portion?

    --
    Vance
    To reply by email, "remove the trash".

  6. Re: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 03:34:04 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 01:51:53 +0000, Vance Howard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now that I have it installed, is there a way to install the KDE
    >>> desktop? I will look around, but hopefully someone will point me in
    >>> the right direction.

    >>
    >> system -> synaptic. search for kde - install kde desktop.
    >>
    >>

    > Thanks everyone. I initially looked under applications - add/remove, but
    > didn't find how to install KDE. I later found System - Administration -
    > Synaptic and successfully installed KDE. Do I really need the Kubuntu -
    > desktop portion?


    if you installed KDE you got the plain jane KDE avail. IRRC (i've done
    that before and seems like that was what i got)

    if you install the kubuntu-desktop package you get the kubuntu package
    (what the ubuntu group has done to KDE) and all the associated programs
    that would normally be installed with a Kubuntu install disk. so when you
    switch to a KDE session you basically see a Kubuntu desktop and all the
    software. (things such as Konqueror, Knetwork, Kmail, Konversation, and
    the list goes on)

    --
    Chris

  7. Re: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    Christopher Thompson wrote:

    >
    > if you installed KDE you got the plain jane KDE avail. IRRC (i've done
    > that before and seems like that was what i got)
    >
    > if you install the kubuntu-desktop package you get the kubuntu package
    > (what the ubuntu group has done to KDE) and all the associated programs
    > that would normally be installed with a Kubuntu install disk. so when you
    > switch to a KDE session you basically see a Kubuntu desktop and all the
    > software. (things such as Konqueror, Knetwork, Kmail, Konversation, and
    > the list goes on)
    >


    I am using the plain jane as you call it. Just finished setting it up to
    the way I like it.

    I really like how it asked me if I would like to search for and download
    the correct codecs to watch a wmv file when I clicked on it. Instead of
    just saying that that file type couldn't be played.

    --
    Vance
    To reply by email, "remove the trash".

  8. Re: KDE desktop on Ubuntu?

    On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 04:22:51 GMT, Vance Howard wrote:

    > I really like how it asked me if I would like to search for and
    > download the correct codecs to watch a wmv file when I clicked on
    > it. Instead of just saying that that file type couldn't be
    > played.


    Even that is an advance over the UNIX way - which just fails
    silently. Of course some like it like that.

    --
    Chris Game

    The generation of random numbers is too important to be left
    to chance. -Robert R. Coveyou Oak Ridge National Laboratory

+ Reply to Thread