Can't boot after uninstalling external bootmanager - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Can't boot after uninstalling external bootmanager - Ubuntu ; Hi all, On my PC I have installed in sereval logical partitions Ubuntu, Vista, and several varieties of Windows. Because of that when I boot there are 3 bootloaders (Ubuntu, Vista and Windows, in that order). Everything worked fine but ...

  1. Can't boot after uninstalling external bootmanager

    Hi all,

    On my PC I have installed in sereval logical partitions Ubuntu, Vista, and
    several varieties of Windows.
    Because of that when I boot there are 3 bootloaders (Ubuntu, Vista and
    Windows, in that order). Everything worked fine but I decided to use one
    external bootmanager (XOSL) to simplify this matter. It had an option "Use
    original MBR" and "Uninstall". Therefor I dared to install the bootmanager
    but it did not work properly. I uninstalled it but even since I can't boot
    any longer. When I now boot I see a black screen with the word GRUB_ in the
    upper left corner and the system freezes. I can access the file system with
    the live Ubuntu CD. Can I modify something to achieve that Grub will boot
    properly?
    Or do I need to re-install the whole Ubuntu system?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    With kind regards,
    Fokke Nauta

  2. Re: Can't boot after uninstalling external bootmanager

    On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:51:05 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > On my PC I have installed in sereval logical partitions Ubuntu, Vista,
    > and several varieties of Windows.
    > Because of that when I boot there are 3 bootloaders (Ubuntu, Vista and
    > Windows, in that order). Everything worked fine but I decided to use one
    > external bootmanager (XOSL) to simplify this matter. It had an option
    > "Use original MBR" and "Uninstall". Therefor I dared to install the
    > bootmanager but it did not work properly. I uninstalled it but even
    > since I can't boot any longer. When I now boot I see a black screen with
    > the word GRUB_ in the upper left corner and the system freezes. I can
    > access the file system with the live Ubuntu CD. Can I modify something
    > to achieve that Grub will boot properly?
    > Or do I need to re-install the whole Ubuntu system?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > With kind regards,
    > Fokke Nauta

    Download and use the Grub Superdisk
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bDiskPage.html

    You need to re-install grub into the MBR and configure it.

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: Can't boot after uninstalling external bootmanager

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:51:05 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> On my PC I have installed in sereval logical partitions Ubuntu, Vista,
    >> and several varieties of Windows.
    >> Because of that when I boot there are 3 bootloaders (Ubuntu, Vista and
    >> Windows, in that order). Everything worked fine but I decided to use one
    >> external bootmanager (XOSL) to simplify this matter. It had an option
    >> "Use original MBR" and "Uninstall". Therefor I dared to install the
    >> bootmanager but it did not work properly. I uninstalled it but even
    >> since I can't boot any longer. When I now boot I see a black screen with
    >> the word GRUB_ in the upper left corner and the system freezes. I can
    >> access the file system with the live Ubuntu CD. Can I modify something
    >> to achieve that Grub will boot properly?
    >> Or do I need to re-install the whole Ubuntu system?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>
    >> With kind regards,
    >> Fokke Nauta

    > Download and use the Grub Superdisk
    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bDiskPage.html
    >
    > You need to re-install grub into the MBR and configure it.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  4. Re: Can't boot after uninstalling external bootmanager

    Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 08:51:05 +0100, Fokke Nauta wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> On my PC I have installed in sereval logical partitions Ubuntu, Vista,
    >>> and several varieties of Windows.
    >>> Because of that when I boot there are 3 bootloaders (Ubuntu, Vista and
    >>> Windows, in that order). Everything worked fine but I decided to use one
    >>> external bootmanager (XOSL) to simplify this matter. It had an option
    >>> "Use original MBR" and "Uninstall". Therefor I dared to install the
    >>> bootmanager but it did not work properly. I uninstalled it but even
    >>> since I can't boot any longer. When I now boot I see a black screen with
    >>> the word GRUB_ in the upper left corner and the system freezes. I can
    >>> access the file system with the live Ubuntu CD. Can I modify something
    >>> to achieve that Grub will boot properly?
    >>> Or do I need to re-install the whole Ubuntu system?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>>
    >>> With kind regards,
    >>> Fokke Nauta

    >> Download and use the Grub Superdisk
    >> http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bDiskPage.html
    >>
    >> You need to re-install grub into the MBR and configure it.

    Apologies for the empty message.

    What I was going to say was that is exactly what I would do.

    The supergrub disk is an essential tool for "those times we don't want
    to contemplate"

    I'd also suggest adding the superb sysresccd to your toolkit too.
    http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  5. Re: Can't boot after uninstalling external bootmanager

    Moog wrote:
    > Moog illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Download and use the Grub Superdisk
    >>> http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bDiskPage.html
    >>>
    >>> You need to re-install grub into the MBR and configure it.

    > Apologies for the empty message.
    >
    > What I was going to say was that is exactly what I would do.
    >
    > The supergrub disk is an essential tool for "those times we don't want
    > to contemplate"
    >
    > I'd also suggest adding the superb sysresccd to your toolkit too.
    > http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

    Hi Moog,

    Thanks. I have downloaded the Grub Superdisk and burned the ISO image
    onto a CD.
    I booted from the CD - and I did not know what to do with it!
    So I reinstalled Ubuntu and now it works fine again. Happily!

    Rgs,
    Fokke

+ Reply to Thread