Wine freezes up my computer. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Wine freezes up my computer. - Ubuntu ; With an earlier version of wine all these programs were running ok. I just upgraded to a newer version of Wine. When I go to run my programs now the computer freezes to a dead stop. CTRL+ALT+F2 does nothing. The ...

  1. Wine freezes up my computer.

    With an earlier version of wine all these programs were running ok.

    I just upgraded to a newer version of Wine. When I go to run my programs
    now the computer freezes to a dead stop. CTRL+ALT+F2 does nothing. The
    mouse does not move. The only way to get it unlocked is to hit my reboot
    button on the front of the computer. When it reboots it then runs fsck to
    fix errors. I am running Ubuntu 7.10 and Gnome. Is there anything I can
    do to see what is bringing the computer to a dead stop or is this a bad
    version of wine?

    Is anyone else having problems?

    Any input will be appreciated.

    I am

    Klutzierthanmost

  2. Re: Wine freezes up my computer.

    klutzierthanmost wrote:

    > With an earlier version of wine all these programs were running ok.
    >
    > I just upgraded to a newer version of Wine. When I go to run my programs
    > now the computer freezes to a dead stop. CTRL+ALT+F2 does nothing. The
    > mouse does not move. The only way to get it unlocked is to hit my reboot
    > button on the front of the computer. When it reboots it then runs fsck to
    > fix errors. I am running Ubuntu 7.10 and Gnome. Is there anything I can
    > do to see what is bringing the computer to a dead stop or is this a bad
    > version of wine?
    >
    > Is anyone else having problems?
    >
    > Any input will be appreciated.
    >
    > I am
    >
    > Klutzierthanmost

    Wild shot... are you running 64-bit version of Ubuntu?

    Cheers.

    --
    Ubuntu 7.10 ... wow!
    http;//www.ubuntu.com

  3. Re: Wine freezes up my computer.

    klutzierthanmost wrote:
    > Any input will be appreciated.

    Set up OpenSSH Server and then log in from another PC if you can, try to
    kill wine that way, or restart GDM, or shutdown gracefully if you're
    really screwed.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  4. Re: Wine freezes up my computer.

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:27:34 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > klutzierthanmost wrote:
    >
    >> With an earlier version of wine all these programs were running ok.
    >>
    >> I just upgraded to a newer version of Wine. When I go to run my
    >> programs now the computer freezes to a dead stop. CTRL+ALT+F2 does
    >> nothing. The mouse does not move. The only way to get it unlocked is to
    >> hit my reboot button on the front of the computer. When it reboots it
    >> then runs fsck to fix errors. I am running Ubuntu 7.10 and Gnome. Is
    >> there anything I can do to see what is bringing the computer to a dead
    >> stop or is this a bad version of wine?
    >>
    >> Is anyone else having problems?
    >>
    >> Any input will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> I am
    >>
    >> Klutzierthanmost

    > Wild shot... are you running 64-bit version of Ubuntu?
    >
    > Cheers.

    I am running 32 bit Ubuntu. I can not do anything to the computer that is
    locked up. It will not let me login to the best of my abilities as a
    beginner. SSHD is running at boot on the computer that locks up. I take
    it you are talking about ssh user@192.168.1.xxx. I am just making sure I
    understand your question.

    Wine did work on this computer under Ubuntu 7.04 and when I wiped the HD
    clean and installed Ubuntu 7.10 it worked for a while. Then I got an
    upgrade to wine and it has not worked since. Should I try WineHQ and
    install the newest of the wine packages? I see it is a newer version.

    Thanks

    I am klutzier than most

+ Reply to Thread