Ubuntu 7.10 - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu 7.10 - Ubuntu ; I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download. Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd? Thanks. Heath...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. Ubuntu 7.10

    I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?
    Thanks.
    Heath

  2. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:14:56 GMT, Heath wrote:

    > I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I
    > install it completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they
    > have to download. Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?

    Yes, suck it and see. You'll soon be running slrn, downloading
    packages and chattering about 'mission-critical machines' with the
    best of 'em!

    --
    Chris Game

    "An exclamation mark is like laughing at your own joke."
    -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

  3. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Heath wrote:

    > I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    > completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    > Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?
    > Thanks.
    > Heath

    Yes, if it's the livecd version that you have. Since I don't know what
    you've been sent, can't say for sure. But you can always place the cd in
    your DVD/CDROM drive, set your bios to boot first from that device and see
    what happens. If it is trying to install right off the bat, just turn off
    the computer. :-) If it takes you to a Ubuntu desktop, then it's a livecd
    and you can run it all you like to check it out without worrying about it
    installing on your computer unless you choose to do so.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  4. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:14:56 +0000, Heath wrote:

    > I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install
    > it completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    > Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd? Thanks.
    > Heath

    Yes.

    All CDs currently contain the currently released version of Ubuntu. For
    every CD you order, we will send you one package that contains a single
    CD (live CD installer) in a cardboard wallet. This is true for all
    architectures.

    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/shipit-faq

  5. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    NoStop wrote:
    > Heath wrote:
    >
    >> I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    >> completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    >> Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?
    >> Thanks.
    >> Heath

    > Yes, if it's the livecd version that you have. Since I don't know what
    > you've been sent, can't say for sure. But you can always place the cd in
    > your DVD/CDROM drive, set your bios to boot first from that device and see
    > what happens. If it is trying to install right off the bat, just turn off
    > the computer. :-) If it takes you to a Ubuntu desktop, then it's a livecd
    > and you can run it all you like to check it out without worrying about it
    > installing on your computer unless you choose to do so.
    >
    > Cheers.

    I ordered two CDs and they're live CDs.

    Alias

  6. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Chris Game illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:14:56 GMT, Heath wrote:
    >
    >> I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I
    >> install it completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they
    >> have to download. Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?

    > Yes, suck it and see. You'll soon be running slrn, downloading
    > packages and chattering about 'mission-critical machines' with the
    > best of 'em!

    You missed out....

    Running Windows newsreaders via wine 'cos I'm too much of a stick in
    the mud to move from crappy Dialog"

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Heath illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    > completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    > Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?

    That depends where you ordered it from.

    If you ordered from shipit.ubuntu.com then yes. You will have the LiveCD.

    If you ordered it from elsewhere, this may not be the case. If you can
    let us know where you ordered it from, we can tell you if it is an
    install or a LiveCD version.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think I ordered
    it from?? Ubuntu's website.

    "Heath" wrote in message
    >I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    >completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    > Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?
    > Thanks.
    > Heath

  9. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Heath illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think I ordered
    > it from?? Ubuntu's website.

    No need for the sarcasm Heath. You can order Linux CD's from many,
    many places.

    I was only trying to ascertain from where so we could answer your
    question. Don't be such a touchy bastard.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  10. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Heath wrote:

    > Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think I
    > ordered it from?? Ubuntu's website.

    1) top posting
    2) follow-up to your own post, but referencing to another post
    3) unfriendly language

    Wow. "Good luck" in this newsgroup.

    de Kameel

    > "Heath" wrote in message
    >>I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    >>completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    >> Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?
    >> Thanks.
    >> Heath

  11. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:21:57 +0000, Heath wrote:

    > Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think I ordered
    > it from?? Ubuntu's website.

    OK, you're starting to sound like a clueless, arrogant moron.

    Confirmed!

    Bugger off, n00b.

  12. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    YAAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.11.27.20.36.23.403542@moria.lan...
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:21:57 +0000, Heath wrote:
    >
    >> Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think I
    >> ordered
    >> it from?? Ubuntu's website.

    > OK, you're starting to sound like a clueless, arrogant moron.

    > Confirmed!
    >
    > Bugger off, n00b.
    >

    > --
    > "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".

  13. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Alias wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Heath wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install
    >>> it completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    >>> Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>> Heath

    >> Yes, if it's the livecd version that you have. Since I don't know what
    >> you've been sent, can't say for sure. But you can always place the cd in
    >> your DVD/CDROM drive, set your bios to boot first from that device and
    >> see what happens. If it is trying to install right off the bat, just turn
    >> off the computer. :-) If it takes you to a Ubuntu desktop, then it's a
    >> livecd and you can run it all you like to check it out without worrying
    >> about it installing on your computer unless you choose to do so.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > I ordered two CDs and they're live CDs.
    >
    > Alias

    I guess it depends on what you ordered and where you ordered them from. The
    OP didn't say. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Ubuntu 7.10 ... wow!
    http;//www.ubuntu.com

  14. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On 2007-11-27, Heath intrigued me by typing:
    > I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    > completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    > Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?
    > Thanks.
    > Heath

    Yes, you certainly can. Simply place the LiveCD in the CD-ROM drive and
    reboot your computer. Make sure that your BIOS is set to boot from the
    CDROM drive first. Depending on your system, boot up time may take a while.
    After it is loaded, simply use it as if you had it installed onto the hard
    drive. The loading of individual apps won't be very fast because they will
    have to be loaded from CD. Again, depending on your particular system, you
    should also be able to surf the world wide web wirelessly. Anyway, take
    care and let us know how it went.

    --
    Just me, D
    (Ubuntu User# 16887)

  15. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Heath wrote:
    > I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd. Can I try it out before I install it
    > completely onto my computer? Like that live cd they have to download.
    > Can I just try it out from the 7.10 cd?

    Yes, and, if you have no prior experience of a live cd, you should know
    you can go online with a browser, play games, etc. Of course, there is
    no place to save your results, so no settings will be retained.

    ---
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., ||
    ||Arnoldo VIKTORO, Nov-jorkurbo, t. e., ||
    ||Remove capital letters from e-mail address for correct address/ ||
    || Forigu majusklajn literojn el e-poŝta adreso por ĝusta adreso ||
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=== ==+=====+=====+====++
    NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security
    Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice.
    They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You
    have no recourse or protection.

  16. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Heath wrote:

    > Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think
    > I ordered it from?? Ubuntu's website.

    For example, cheapbytes. If you know everything, why ask?

    irrelevant material. See the following links:

    --

    (taming google)
    (newusers)

  17. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:21:57 +0000, Heath wrote:

    > Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think I
    > ordered it from?? Ubuntu's website.

    Alright you ignorant little prick, please just get lost.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君の事思い出す日なんてないのは
    君の事忘れたときがないから

  18. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    Hmm, name calling, and I'm the "ignorant little prick" huh. I was just being
    sarcastic, unlike you who are being "ignorant"
    Guess sarcasim doesn't go over well in here.

    "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    news:hO6dnfXgAJhiO9HanZ2dnUVZ8qfinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:21:57 +0000, Heath wrote:
    >
    >> Ordered it from a local grocery store. Where the hell do you think I
    >> ordered it from?? Ubuntu's website.
    >>

    > Alright you ignorant little prick, please just get lost.
    >
    > --
    > Stephan
    > 2003 Yamaha R6
    >
    > ???????????????
    > ?????????????

  19. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    NoStop wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> NoStop wrote:

    >>> Yes, if it's the livecd version that you have. Since I don't know what
    >>> you've been sent, can't say for sure. But you can always place the cd in
    >>> your DVD/CDROM drive, set your bios to boot first from that device and
    >>> see what happens. If it is trying to install right off the bat, just turn
    >>> off the computer. :-) If it takes you to a Ubuntu desktop, then it's a
    >>> livecd and you can run it all you like to check it out without worrying
    >>> about it installing on your computer unless you choose to do so.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>

    >> I ordered two CDs and they're live CDs.
    >>
    >> Alias

    > I guess it depends on what you ordered and where you ordered them from. The
    > OP didn't say. :-)
    >
    > Cheers.

    I ordered them from shipit, a link from the Ubuntu web site.

    Alias

  20. Re: Ubuntu 7.10

    "Heath" wrote in message news:kgY2j.59395

    >I recently ordered Ubuntu 7.10 on cd

    Sorry for your bad luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast