OT A question of AV software - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT A question of AV software - Ubuntu ; On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:20:25 -0800, Bill wrote: > It seems obvious from here. There are still a few programs that are only > in Windoze, mostly the things like Autocad and some engineering programs. > I also tried ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

  1. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:20:25 -0800, Bill wrote:

    > It seems obvious from here. There are still a few programs that are only
    > in Windoze, mostly the things like Autocad and some engineering programs.
    > I also tried to find a driver for my Canon I860 printer and even sent
    > them an email about Linux/Unix support.
    > Their reply was that they are not now or in the future going to support
    > anything much but Windoze. Same thing goes for scanners, as in no
    > drivers. I have to drop down to the inferior system to scan/OCR/print.

    You're not looking/trying hard enough. That printer is supported in
    Linux, if you'd bother to look a little, and most scanners work fine (free
    clue: "sane").

    > I don't want to but I have to.

    Uh-huh. And why is it that you "have" to post to the newsgroup using
    Thunderbird for Windoze?

  2. Re: OT A question of AV software

    NoStop wrote in news:aRX2j.58346$PE.54675@pd7urf1no:

    > PS. I'm sure that with a little effort, even running Outhouse Express,
    > you can figure out a way to not top post.

    I doubt it.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  3. Re: OT A question of AV software

    "Vittorio Okio" wrote in
    newsM43j.60227$PE.16690@pd7urf1no:

    > This is my first try. :-) Thanks a lot for the utility. I've never
    > heard of it before. And if screwed it on my first attempt - my
    > appoligies. :-)

    Now, you need to find yourself a spellchecker.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  4. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Baba O'Reilly writes:
    >>
    >>> First of all, please forgive me for posting a totally off topic question
    >>> to this forum, but of all the groups I subscribe to, this is the ONLY
    >>> one that I trust to give me good advice.
    >>>
    >>> I run Ubuntu and openSuse, but I also use XP and Vista. I am tired
    >>> of the bloatware which is MacAfee, so I am considering switching to
    >>> Kaspersky. Most of the sites I've seen say I'm making a good move.
    >>> But the question is, am I really doing a good thing? As long as
    >>> my work VPN recognizes and accepts Kaspersky, I can use it and it
    >>> does have a better review than MacAfee.
    >>>
    >>> There must be a few folks out there in Ubuntu land who run some
    >>> flavour of Windows and need an AV package.
    >>>
    >>> Any constructive advice is welcome

    >> The replies you got reinforced my initial thoughts when I read your
    >> post. WTF would you ask here for?

    > You're in the land of "Black and White" again Hadron...come back to
    > /usr land.
    >
    > OK. I'll answer your question.
    >
    > The OP thought the following...
    > 1) He trusts the views of the posters here as it is genuinely a very
    > helpful group
    > 2) He knows that a lot of the memebers of this group are just as
    > knowledgable regarding Windows as they are in Linux.

    Sorry. I come from the "where does it end" neck of the woods.

    See my reply regarding people asking the good people of Ubuntu world
    what the best gaming joystick is. After all, "most" (tongue in cheek)
    Ubuntu users dual boot to play games ,,,,,

    I know you know where I come from on this.

  5. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Dan C writes:

    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:20:25 -0800, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> It seems obvious from here. There are still a few programs that are only
    >> in Windoze, mostly the things like Autocad and some engineering programs.
    >> I also tried to find a driver for my Canon I860 printer and even sent
    >> them an email about Linux/Unix support.
    >> Their reply was that they are not now or in the future going to support
    >> anything much but Windoze. Same thing goes for scanners, as in no
    >> drivers. I have to drop down to the inferior system to scan/OCR/print.

    > You're not looking/trying hard enough. That printer is supported in
    > Linux, if you'd bother to look a little, and most scanners work fine (free
    > clue: "sane").
    >
    >> I don't want to but I have to.

    > Uh-huh. And why is it that you "have" to post to the newsgroup using
    > Thunderbird for Windoze?

    Dear Dan C.

    Can you please answer the questions from Mike (Primax). You will really
    like him.

    --
    How do Crays and Alphas handle the POSIX problem?
    -- Larry Wall in <199709050042.RAA29379@wall.org>

  6. Re: OT A question of AV software

    "Vittorio Okio" wrote in

    > OK, folks... Let's make a piece.

    A piece of what? I've already had several disgusting thoughts.

    You're a programmer? Based on your spelling skills, you must be the person
    who coded a program I have, which, upon installation, proclaims:

    OK, folk, the porgram has successfully."

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  7. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > For me Windows does not need to die, it 'just' needs to improve

    Unfortunately, it can't. :-) It's fundamentally broken and cannot be fixed.

    C.

  8. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Baba O'Reilly wrote:

    > Intersting. Yes, hard facts are better than hearsay. I shall have to
    > do some more research before I make a decision. My MacAfee runs out
    > at the end of the year, so I would like to have something in place
    > before then.... btw.. the only reason I use an AV program is because
    > our work VPN hasn't move to Linux yet and it requires a recognized
    > AV program for network access to be granted.

    That's pretty redundant - there's /no/ "anti-virus" program that actually
    works, or /can/ work. If you keep the definitions up to date, these
    programs usually find anything older than a month or so, but
    anything /newer/ or even the most simple alteration to existing malware
    will be missed. There's a new version of the "Storm" worm released /every/
    hour!

    C.

    --
    Windows- a poor proprietary client for a Unix world.

  9. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Bill wrote:

    > It seems obvious from here. There are still a few programs that are only
    > in Windoze, mostly the things like Autocad and some engineering programs.

    I'm trying to fix that at the moment. There is a suite of electronic
    engineering tools under heavy development right now!

    > I also tried to find a driver for my Canon I860 printer and even sent
    > them an email about Linux/Unix support. Their reply was that they are
    > not now or in the future going to support anything much but Windoze.

    Canon always had a poor attitude, and so are best boycotted. Their products
    are also (usually) poorer than the competition. HP (for example) provide
    Linux drivers on their website (and are now including them on the CD in the
    product box!).

    > Same thing goes for scanners, as in no drivers.

    Again, this is just a Canon thing.

    C.

    --
    Windows- a poor proprietary client for a Unix world.

  10. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Vittorio Okio wrote:
    > Dan C wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is no need to run Outhouse, even on Windoze. Thunderbird
    >>> is available for all those systems.

    >> Well, you should know, Win-droid.

    .... snip ...

    > OK, folks... Let's make a piece. I've already made a required
    > change. Thanks to Ed.

    For some unknown reason the Dan C troll insists on replying to most
    of my messages. It should know it is pointless, since it is in my
    troll PLONK file. Can it really be that dumb?

    Try the download section.

  11. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > <...>
    >> You're in the land of "Black and White" again Hadron...come back to
    >> /usr land.
    >>
    >> OK. I'll answer your question.
    >>
    >> The OP thought the following...
    >> 1) He trusts the views of the posters here as it is genuinely a very
    >> helpful group
    >> 2) He knows that a lot of the memebers of this group are just as
    >> knowledgable regarding Windows as they are in Linux.

    > Sorry. I come from the "where does it end" neck of the woods.
    >
    > See my reply regarding people asking the good people of Ubuntu world
    > what the best gaming joystick is. After all, "most" (tongue in cheek)
    > Ubuntu users dual boot to play games ,,,,,
    >
    > I know you know where I come from on this.

    Yes. You seem to have an itchy keyboard finger that's sat there ready
    to "plug" another unfortunate poster that has done very little wrong.

    You need to relax. All these "run-ins" you're having are turning you
    into a nasty bastard.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Moog wrote:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> <...>
    >>> You're in the land of "Black and White" again Hadron...come back to
    >>> /usr land.
    >>>
    >>> OK. I'll answer your question.
    >>>
    >>> The OP thought the following...
    >>> 1) He trusts the views of the posters here as it is genuinely a very
    >>> helpful group
    >>> 2) He knows that a lot of the memebers of this group are just as
    >>> knowledgable regarding Windows as they are in Linux.

    >> Sorry. I come from the "where does it end" neck of the woods.
    >>
    >> See my reply regarding people asking the good people of Ubuntu world
    >> what the best gaming joystick is. After all, "most" (tongue in cheek)
    >> Ubuntu users dual boot to play games ,,,,,
    >>
    >> I know you know where I come from on this.

    > Yes. You seem to have an itchy keyboard finger that's sat there ready
    > to "plug" another unfortunate poster that has done very little wrong.
    >
    > You need to relax. All these "run-ins" you're having are turning you
    > into a nasty bastard.

    What is this "turning him" thingy?
    He *is* a nasty bastard. He lies. He misrepresents what others write

    Hadron Quark is one of the worst twits I've ever encountered on usenet
    --
    Law of Probable Dispersal:
    Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

  13. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Moog writes:

    > Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> <...>
    >>> You're in the land of "Black and White" again Hadron...come back to
    >>> /usr land.
    >>>
    >>> OK. I'll answer your question.
    >>>
    >>> The OP thought the following...
    >>> 1) He trusts the views of the posters here as it is genuinely a very
    >>> helpful group
    >>> 2) He knows that a lot of the memebers of this group are just as
    >>> knowledgable regarding Windows as they are in Linux.

    >> Sorry. I come from the "where does it end" neck of the woods.
    >>
    >> See my reply regarding people asking the good people of Ubuntu world
    >> what the best gaming joystick is. After all, "most" (tongue in cheek)
    >> Ubuntu users dual boot to play games ,,,,,
    >>
    >> I know you know where I come from on this.

    > Yes. You seem to have an itchy keyboard finger that's sat there ready
    > to "plug" another unfortunate poster that has done very little wrong.
    >
    > You need to relax. All these "run-ins" you're having are turning you
    > into a nasty bastard.

    This is no run in. And when they are ts generally the usual suspects
    anyway.

    Again I ask you : if you say "great place to ask" which is the "lets all
    be friends easy way out" answer, then where does it end?

    Really?

    There was no plugging. No hostility. Just a suggestion that this
    newsgroup (alt.os.LINUX.UBUNTU) is not the place to ask about Virus
    Checkers for MS Windows. It is also not the place for COLA type
    "advocacy". Nothing nasty, nothing hostile, just plain facts.

    Now I know by you bagging me with that "hostile" line, you come out
    smelling of flowers and the good guy, but sorry, I do not agree I was
    wrong to suggest that this was the wrong NG.

    Or? Where does it end?

    Shell we encourage people to asking about the best gaming joystick for
    Windows here?

    --
    "The Lord gave us farmers two strong hands so we could grab as much as
    we could with both of them."

  14. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Christopher Hunter wrote:
    > Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    >> Intersting. Yes, hard facts are better than hearsay. I shall have to
    >> do some more research before I make a decision. My MacAfee runs out
    >> at the end of the year, so I would like to have something in place
    >> before then.... btw.. the only reason I use an AV program is because
    >> our work VPN hasn't move to Linux yet and it requires a recognized
    >> AV program for network access to be granted.

    > That's pretty redundant - there's /no/ "anti-virus" program that actually
    > works, or /can/ work. If you keep the definitions up to date, these
    > programs usually find anything older than a month or so, but
    > anything /newer/ or even the most simple alteration to existing malware
    > will be missed. There's a new version of the "Storm" worm released /every/
    > hour!
    >
    > C.

    Some can do slightly better than a month. Usually same day as detection.
    After all, it's the guys in the basement writing the malicious code the
    guys upstairs are writing the protection for. *g*
    Unless it's /the big one./ like when the 'I Love You' (vbs.loveletter)
    came out. The Symantec site was overwhelmed and off line for more than a
    day.
    (Heuristics aside,) it's still like closing the barn door after the
    chickens all got out. First you have the problem, then you have the fix,
    then the fix gets to you... hopefully before the problem gets to you.

    Continuing my [OT] fixing sisters winbox story... Hijack This creates a
    log when it scans, containing filepaths, reg entries, etc., of good and
    bad things in your box.
    Because it has all the indicators of a virus, all the right words in the
    right sequence, Norton thinks this plain textfile is a (known) virus.
    Won't let me open it. Norton can't quarantine it either, which makes me
    curious about it's usefulness, but glad it doesn't so I don't have to
    fight that too...

  15. Re: OT A question of AV software

    that is a good one :-))))

    "elaich" <|@|.|> wrote in message news:5r4afnF12pv85U2@mid.individual.net...
    > "Vittorio Okio" wrote in
    > newsM43j.60227$PE.16690@pd7urf1no:
    >
    >> This is my first try. :-) Thanks a lot for the utility. I've never
    >> heard of it before. And if screwed it on my first attempt - my
    >> appoligies. :-)

    > Now, you need to find yourself a spellchecker.
    >
    > --
    > A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    > Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

  16. Re: OT A question of AV software

    xubunt6 wrote:

    > About back doors: the rumour says since win98 every windhoos has a NSA
    > back door.

    There /are/ deliberate "back doors" into Windows. There are also even more
    unintentional ones!

    C.

  17. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Vittorio Okio wrote:

    > that is a good one :-))))

    Then stop fscking top posting. Geez.

    Cheers.

    > "elaich" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> "Vittorio Okio" wrote in
    >> newsM43j.60227$PE.16690@pd7urf1no:
    >>
    >>> This is my first try. :-) Thanks a lot for the utility. I've never
    >>> heard of it before. And if screwed it on my first attempt - my
    >>> appoligies. :-)

    >> Now, you need to find yourself a spellchecker.
    >>
    >> --
    >> A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    >> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  18. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog writes:
    >
    >> Hadron illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> <...>

    >>> Sorry. I come from the "where does it end" neck of the woods.
    >>>
    >>> See my reply regarding people asking the good people of Ubuntu world
    >>> what the best gaming joystick is. After all, "most" (tongue in cheek)
    >>> Ubuntu users dual boot to play games ,,,,,
    >>>
    >>> I know you know where I come from on this.

    >> Yes. You seem to have an itchy keyboard finger that's sat there ready
    >> to "plug" another unfortunate poster that has done very little wrong.
    >>
    >> You need to relax. All these "run-ins" you're having are turning you
    >> into a nasty bastard.

    > This is no run in. And when they are ts generally the usual suspects
    > anyway.

    That's exactly what I was referring to. You knew that though.

    > Again I ask you : if you say "great place to ask" which is the "lets all
    > be friends easy way out" answer, then where does it end?

    Who cares? Well, apart from you. He got a lot of good advice from my
    relaxed viewpoint.

    > Really?
    >
    > There was no plugging. No hostility. Just a suggestion that this
    > newsgroup (alt.os.LINUX.UBUNTU) is not the place to ask about Virus
    > Checkers for MS Windows. It is also not the place for COLA type
    > "advocacy". Nothing nasty, nothing hostile, just plain facts.

    No. Hadron. Look back at what you said again. It was pretty much
    nasty. Just as your accusation that a new user was a troll recently
    was equally nasty.

    > Now I know by you bagging me with that "hostile" line, you come out
    > smelling of flowers and the good guy, but sorry, I do not agree I was
    > wrong to suggest that this was the wrong NG.

    Of course it was the wrong NG. The OP knew that. He marked the bloody
    post OT for crying out loud.

    > Or? Where does it end?

    I've just answered that.

    > Shell we encourage people to asking about the best gaming joystick for
    > Windows here.

    I doubt many people here would have much advice.
    Although if yourself, Ste Parker and a few others were around, I'd expect
    a fair and unbiased answer. If I wanted to know the opinions on that
    question, I would ask. Perhaps a ping (to the people I wanted to
    address the question to) OT post may work. Where else could I get the
    advice of some of this groups posters? People that I know (in usenet
    terms obviously) and respect.

    Well? Where?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  19. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:33:30 -0000
    Colin Wilson
    wrote:

    > Personally, on top of Avast, I always recommend as a minimum:
    >
    > * ZoneAlarm (free)

    ET uses that doesn't he?

    > * Firefox - possibly with AdBlockPlus and NoScript (although I don't
    > use NoScript myself normally)

    NoScript's OK but can get to be a PITA when paying for something online
    and the new verifications come up, so many different sites to allow
    scripts from by the time you get through the transaction's gone to the
    knackers yard.

    Good for testing a site that depends on JS to see what happens when
    it's disabled though.

    --
    ~/.signature MD5 Hash error.

  20. Re: OT A question of AV software

    > > * ZoneAlarm (free)
    > ET uses that doesn't he?

    Unlike the Microsoft one, if you leave the automatic update checker
    switched off, it doesn't phone home :-p

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3