OT A question of AV software - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on OT A question of AV software - Ubuntu ; :-)))) i share your feelings, though i still have a windowz workstation in addition to my ubuntu laptop (you can see it from my OE post here :-> ). well, i guess quite a bit of people still keep windowz ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60

Thread: OT A question of AV software

  1. Re: OT A question of AV software

    :-)))) i share your feelings, though i still have a windowz workstation in
    addition to my ubuntu laptop (you can see it from my OE post here :-> ).

    well, i guess quite a bit of people still keep windowz for variaty of
    reasons. e.g. i keep it because i've just started w. linux and not ready to
    administare it in full yet. + i have to consider my dear wife :-) i'll have
    to teach linux, etc., etc. etc. :-)))

    folks, just be patient and windowz slowly but surely dies. :-) though it
    may take longer than we would like. :-)))


    "NoStop" wrote in message
    news:aRX2j.58346$PE.54675@pd7urf1no...
    > Vittorio Okio wrote:
    >
    >> latest avast free versions auto-update too.
    >>

    > Oh, goody goody. I feel so much better knowing that more futile attempts
    > are
    > being made to protect Windoze boxes on the Net. Now, if you could convince
    > Hadron to dual boot into Windoze and stay there, I'll be even more
    > impressed.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > PS. I'm sure that with a little effort, even running Outhouse Express, you
    > can figure out a way to not top post.
    >
    >
    >> "Night0wl" wrote in message
    >> news:474be71d$0$2325$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >>> Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >>>> First of all, please forgive me for posting a totally off topic
    >>>> question
    >>>> to this forum, but of all the groups I subscribe to, this is the ONLY
    >>>> one that I trust to give me good advice. I run Ubuntu and openSuse,
    >>>> but
    >>>> I also use XP and Vista. I am tired
    >>>> of the bloatware which is MacAfee, so I am considering switching to
    >>>> Kaspersky. Most of the sites I've seen say I'm making a good move.
    >>>> But the question is, am I really doing a good thing? As long as my
    >>>> work
    >>>> VPN recognizes and accepts Kaspersky, I can use it and it
    >>>> does have a better review than MacAfee.
    >>>>
    >>>> There must be a few folks out there in Ubuntu land who run some
    >>>> flavour of Windows and need an AV package.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any constructive advice is welcome
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> "fortune" made my sig 20 lines long... slrn doesn't like that much
    >>>
    >>> If you'd like a free AV with the Kaspersky engine, you might try either
    >>> AVG Free, or Avast! Both auto-update. AVG Free runs automatically
    >>> where
    >>> Avast! free must be run. I've had no problems on a VPN with either.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers;
    >>>
    >>> Ed

    >
    > --
    > Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    > Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    > -- My Wife
    >




  2. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Vittorio Okio wrote:
    > :-)))) i share your feelings, though i still have a windowz workstation in
    > addition to my ubuntu laptop (you can see it from my OE post here :-> ).


    But you can make OE a lot more acceptable by installing a little utility
    called Quotefix.
    That way this irritating answering before the question is no longer a
    problem.
    >
    > well, i guess quite a bit of people still keep windowz for variaty of
    > reasons. e.g. i keep it because i've just started w. linux and not ready to
    > administare it in full yet. + i have to consider my dear wife :-) i'll have
    > to teach linux, etc., etc. etc. :-)))


    There is no need to "teach Linux" with the modern Ubuntu and especially
    Kubuntu, they are so much self explanatory that any person you are
    willing to spend any time with can grasp the basics first time 'round!
    >
    > folks, just be patient and windowz slowly but surely dies. :-) though it
    > may take longer than we would like. :-)))
    >

    For me Windows does not need to die, it 'just' needs to improve
    >
    > "NoStop" wrote in message
    > news:aRX2j.58346$PE.54675@pd7urf1no...
    >> Vittorio Okio wrote:
    >>
    >>> latest avast free versions auto-update too.
    >>>

    >> Oh, goody goody. I feel so much better knowing that more futile attempts
    >> are
    >> being made to protect Windoze boxes on the Net. Now, if you could convince
    >> Hadron to dual boot into Windoze and stay there, I'll be even more
    >> impressed.
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> PS. I'm sure that with a little effort, even running Outhouse Express, you
    >> can figure out a way to not top post.
    >>
    >>
    >>> "Night0wl" wrote in message
    >>> news:474be71d$0$2325$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >>>> Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >>>>> First of all, please forgive me for posting a totally off topic
    >>>>> question
    >>>>> to this forum, but of all the groups I subscribe to, this is the ONLY
    >>>>> one that I trust to give me good advice. I run Ubuntu and openSuse,
    >>>>> but
    >>>>> I also use XP and Vista. I am tired
    >>>>> of the bloatware which is MacAfee, so I am considering switching to
    >>>>> Kaspersky. Most of the sites I've seen say I'm making a good move.
    >>>>> But the question is, am I really doing a good thing? As long as my
    >>>>> work
    >>>>> VPN recognizes and accepts Kaspersky, I can use it and it
    >>>>> does have a better review than MacAfee.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> There must be a few folks out there in Ubuntu land who run some
    >>>>> flavour of Windows and need an AV package.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Any constructive advice is welcome
    >>>>>
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> "fortune" made my sig 20 lines long... slrn doesn't like that much
    >>>> If you'd like a free AV with the Kaspersky engine, you might try either
    >>>> AVG Free, or Avast! Both auto-update. AVG Free runs automatically
    >>>> where
    >>>> Avast! free must be run. I've had no problems on a VPN with either.
    >>>>
    >>>> Cheers;
    >>>>
    >>>> Ed

    >> --
    >> Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    >> Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    >> -- My Wife
    >>

    >
    >


  3. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:45:53 -0600, Dan C wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:19:28 -0500, Brian wrote:
    >
    >>>> It seems to me that most people running linux has some version of
    >>>> windows dual boot.

    >
    >>> What gives you that impression? I ask because it's a far from obvious
    >>> conclusion from where I am.

    >
    >> because in most of the linux newsgroups/web forums a very good
    >> percentage of posts deal with dual-booting. Even in alot of the windows
    >> groups.

    >
    > Bugger off, Mac-boy. You're as clueless as the Win-droids.


    lol. I run windows, mac, linux and I would venture to say you just use
    linux... Who's the droid?

  4. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:11:10 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Brian writes:
    >
    >> * Hadron:
    >>> Baba O'Reilly writes:
    >>>
    >>>> First of all, please forgive me for posting a totally off topic
    >>>> question to this forum, but of all the groups I subscribe to, this is
    >>>> the ONLY one that I trust to give me good advice.
    >>>>
    >>>> I run Ubuntu and openSuse, but I also use XP and Vista. I am tired
    >>>> of the bloatware which is MacAfee, so I am considering switching to
    >>>> Kaspersky. Most of the sites I've seen say I'm making a good move.
    >>>> But the question is, am I really doing a good thing? As long as my
    >>>> work VPN recognizes and accepts Kaspersky, I can use it and it does
    >>>> have a better review than MacAfee.
    >>>>
    >>>> There must be a few folks out there in Ubuntu land who run some
    >>>> flavour of Windows and need an AV package.
    >>>>
    >>>> Any constructive advice is welcome
    >>>
    >>> The replies you got reinforced my initial thoughts when I read your
    >>> post. WTF would you ask here for? Read the professional reviews. All
    >>> you will get here is "Linux doesnt need one" and "xyz roxx".
    >>>
    >>> http://anti-virus-software-review.to...com/kaspersky-

    review.html
    >>>

    >> I disagree. I think it's perfectly logical to post that question. It

    >
    > You do? So by that logic would we start asking here for people's
    > opinions on the best Joystick for Windows Gaming? Where do you propose
    > this polling of Windows users will end?
    >
    >> seems to me that most people running linux has some version of windows
    >> dual boot. IMHO

    >
    > Another way of looking at it is that most people with dual boot only
    > dual boot for gaming. They have no need for anti-virus since all their
    > email needs are done on Linux. Mine are anyway.

    net
    Alot of gamers play online, soooooo... windows online = virus magnet

  5. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Colin Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> I run Ubuntu and openSuse, but I also use XP and Vista. I am
    >> tired of the bloatware which is MacAfee, so I am considering
    >> switching to Kaspersky. Most of the sites I've seen say I'm
    >> making a good move. But the question is, am I really doing a
    >> good thing? As long as my work VPN recognizes and accepts
    >> Kaspersky, I can use it and it does have a better review than
    >> MacAfee. Any constructive advice is welcome

    >
    > For the paranoid, Avira is very effective (and available for
    > free!), but Kaspersky is also very good.
    >
    > Avira can be found here: http://www.free-av.com


    However it doesn't work on W98. Which is a quite likely system to
    be dual-booted; old, relatively simple, etc.

    --
    Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)

    Try the download section.



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  6. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Vittorio Okio wrote: *** and top-posted - fixed ***
    > "NoStop" wrote in message
    >

    .... snip ...
    >>
    >> PS. I'm sure that with a little effort, even running Outhouse
    >> Express, you can figure out a way to not top post.

    >
    > :-)))) i share your feelings, though i still have a windowz
    > workstation in addition to my ubuntu laptop (you can see it from
    > my OE post here :-> ).
    >
    > well, i guess quite a bit of people still keep windowz for
    > variaty of reasons. e.g. i keep it because i've just started w.
    > linux and not ready to administare it in full yet. + i have to
    > consider my dear wife :-) i'll have to teach linux, etc., etc.
    > etc. :-)))


    There is no need to run Outhouse, even on Windoze. Thunderbird is
    available for all those systems.

    Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links:

    --



    (taming google)
    (newusers)



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  7. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Brian wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:45:53 -0600, Dan C wrote:
    >

    .... snip ...
    >
    >> Bugger off, Mac-boy. You're as clueless as the Win-droids.

    >
    > lol. I run windows, mac, linux and I would venture to say you
    > just use linux... Who's the droid?


    Dan C is a well known troll here. Ignore and/or PLONK.

    --
    Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)

    Try the download section.



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  8. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:40:15 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    >> Avira can be found here: http://www.free-av.com


    > However it doesn't work on W98. Which is a quite likely system to
    > be dual-booted; old, relatively simple, etc.


    HHHHHAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR! Good one! LOL!

    You're the only dip**** left who's using W98, doofus.

    Fix your non-compliant signature block, dimwit.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  9. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:52:06 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > There is no need to run Outhouse, even on Windoze. Thunderbird is
    > available for all those systems.


    Well, you should know, Win-droid.

    > Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    > with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    > irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links:


    Please do not advise others on how to post until you fix your
    non-compliant signature block, Mr. Hypocrite. You've been asked to do
    this innumerable times, by many different people, and yet you refuse to
    comply. Why is that? Why do you not fix something so obviously broken?
    Why do you think you can tell others how to post properly, when you
    yourself do not?


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  10. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:55:06 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:

    > Dan C is a well known troll here. Ignore and/or PLONK.


    Wrong. I may be well known as a source of accurate info, and for speaking
    my mind, but certainly am no troll.

    You, on the other hand, do nothing but tell others how to post properly,
    all the while using a non-compliant signature block. The very height of
    hypocrisy, right here in front of everybody.

    You are asked to stop posting immediately, until you can properly
    configure your software. If you can't do that, then just disappear.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  11. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:43:46 +0000, Brian wrote:

    >> Bugger off, Mac-boy. You're as clueless as the Win-droids.


    > lol. I run windows, mac, linux and I would venture to say you just use
    > linux... Who's the droid?


    As I said, you are, for allowing yourself to be mired in closed-source,
    spyware-riddled software. Run along now, and update your viruses.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


  12. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On 2007-11-27, CBFalconer wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:45:53 -0600, Dan C wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >>> Bugger off, Mac-boy. You're as clueless as the Win-droids.

    >>
    >> lol. I run windows, mac, linux and I would venture to say you
    >> just use linux... Who's the droid?

    >
    > Dan C is a well known troll here. Ignore and/or PLONK.
    >
    > --
    > Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    >
    > Try the download section.
    >
    >
    >


    I make no judgments on anyone lest they judge me in return.
    Anyway, I got a list of all the AV packages that our VPN can
    see and accept and Kaspersky is on the list, as is AVG free.
    However, I think I might take a look at Avast, just based
    on what I've heard here. One thing for sure, I'm not going
    back to Symanbloat or MacAflee
    --
    You will inherit millions of dollars.

  13. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:52:32 -0500, Brian wrote:
    >
    >> It seems to me that most people running linux has some version of
    >> windows dual boot.

    >
    > What gives you that impression? I ask because it's a far from obvious
    > conclusion from where I am.


    It seems obvious from here. There are still a few programs that are only
    in Windoze, mostly the things like Autocad and some engineering programs.
    I also tried to find a driver for my Canon I860 printer and even sent
    them an email about Linux/Unix support.
    Their reply was that they are not now or in the future going to support
    anything much but Windoze. Same thing goes for scanners, as in no
    drivers. I have to drop down to the inferior system to scan/OCR/print.
    I don't want to but I have to.
    Bill

  14. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:19:28 -0500, Brian wrote:
    >
    >>>> It seems to me that most people running linux has some version of
    >>>> windows dual boot.

    >
    >>> What gives you that impression? I ask because it's a far from obvious
    >>> conclusion from where I am.

    >
    >> because in most of the linux newsgroups/web forums a very good
    >> percentage of posts deal with dual-booting. Even in alot of the windows
    >> groups.

    >
    > Bugger off, Mac-boy. You're as clueless as the Win-droids.
    >
    >

    Every newsgroup has it's fair share of idiots, so we ride with it.
    Bill

  15. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On 28 Nov 2007 02:16:59 GMT, Baba O'Reilly wrote:

    > However, I think I might take a look at Avast, just based
    > on what I've heard here. One thing for sure, I'm not going
    > back to Symanbloat or MacAflee


    Heheheh, you might want to forget hearsay and look here
    http://www.commtouch.com/Site/Resear...t_activity.asp

  16. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Bill wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:52:32 -0500, Brian wrote:
    >>
    >>> It seems to me that most people running linux has some version of
    >>> windows dual boot.

    >>
    >> What gives you that impression? I ask because it's a far from obvious
    >> conclusion from where I am.

    >
    > It seems obvious from here. There are still a few programs that are only
    > in Windoze, mostly the things like Autocad and some engineering programs.
    > I also tried to find a driver for my Canon I860 printer and even sent
    > them an email about Linux/Unix support.
    > Their reply was that they are not now or in the future going to support
    > anything much but Windoze.


    I have a Canon 850i and have drivers from the site below. They also provide
    860i drivers.

    http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/#canon

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife


  17. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On 2007-11-28, Bit Twister wrote:
    > On 28 Nov 2007 02:16:59 GMT, Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >
    >> However, I think I might take a look at Avast, just based
    >> on what I've heard here. One thing for sure, I'm not going
    >> back to Symanbloat or MacAflee

    >
    > Heheheh, you might want to forget hearsay and look here
    > http://www.commtouch.com/Site/Resear...t_activity.asp


    Intersting. Yes, hard facts are better than hearsay. I shall have to
    do some more research before I make a decision. My MacAfee runs out
    at the end of the year, so I would like to have something in place
    before then.... btw.. the only reason I use an AV program is because
    our work VPN hasn't move to Linux yet and it requires a recognized
    AV program for network access to be granted.

    --
    Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves
    possess.
    -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]

  18. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Vittorio Okio wrote:
    >> :-)))) i share your feelings, though i still have a windowz
    >> workstation in addition to my ubuntu laptop (you can see it from my
    >> OE post here :-> ).

    >
    > But you can make OE a lot more acceptable by installing a little
    > utility called Quotefix.
    > That way this irritating answering before the question is no longer a
    > problem.
    >>


    This is my first try. :-) Thanks a lot for the utility. I've never heard
    of it before. And if screwed it on my first attempt - my appoligies. :-)

    >> well, i guess quite a bit of people still keep windowz for variaty of
    >> reasons. e.g. i keep it because i've just started w. linux and not
    >> ready to administare it in full yet. + i have to consider my dear
    >> wife :-) i'll have to teach linux, etc., etc. etc. :-)))

    >
    > There is no need to "teach Linux" with the modern Ubuntu and
    > especially Kubuntu, they are so much self explanatory that any person
    > you are willing to spend any time with can grasp the basics first
    > time 'round!
    >>


    Well, I'm beeing a long time windows programmer doing quite well in Ubuntu.
    I do not bother people with my questions a lot and get well along with
    googling, using ubuntu forums and following (usually silently) this group.
    But some people are not like this. E.g. I do know that I will need to spend
    some time helping my wife to switch.

    But in general I do agree that Ubuntu provides a very good beginers
    environmnet.

    >> folks, just be patient and windowz slowly but surely dies. :-) though it
    >> may take longer than we would like. :-)))
    >>

    > For me Windows does not need to die, it 'just' needs to improve
    >>


    That was just a joke certainly. I'm just trying to addapt to linux
    community jargon. :-))). And I agree with you here too. Though it's very
    hard to imporove something that took a wrong path from the very beginning.
    It must be totally re-written then. If it would be... It becomes almost
    like Ubuntu?.. :-)))

    >> "NoStop" wrote in message
    >> news:aRX2j.58346$PE.54675@pd7urf1no...
    >>> Vittorio Okio wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> latest avast free versions auto-update too.
    >>>>
    >>> Oh, goody goody. I feel so much better knowing that more futile
    >>> attempts are
    >>> being made to protect Windoze boxes on the Net. Now, if you could
    >>> convince Hadron to dual boot into Windoze and stay there, I'll be
    >>> even more impressed.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> PS. I'm sure that with a little effort, even running Outhouse
    >>> Express, you can figure out a way to not top post.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> "Night0wl" wrote in message
    >>>> news:474be71d$0$2325$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >>>>> Baba O'Reilly wrote:
    >>>>>> First of all, please forgive me for posting a totally off topic
    >>>>>> question
    >>>>>> to this forum, but of all the groups I subscribe to, this is the
    >>>>>> ONLY one that I trust to give me good advice. I run Ubuntu and
    >>>>>> openSuse, but
    >>>>>> I also use XP and Vista. I am tired
    >>>>>> of the bloatware which is MacAfee, so I am considering switching
    >>>>>> to Kaspersky. Most of the sites I've seen say I'm making a good
    >>>>>> move. But the question is, am I really doing a good thing? As
    >>>>>> long as my work
    >>>>>> VPN recognizes and accepts Kaspersky, I can use it and it
    >>>>>> does have a better review than MacAfee.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> There must be a few folks out there in Ubuntu land who run some
    >>>>>> flavour of Windows and need an AV package.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Any constructive advice is welcome
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> --
    >>>>>> "fortune" made my sig 20 lines long... slrn doesn't like that
    >>>>>> much
    >>>>> If you'd like a free AV with the Kaspersky engine, you might try
    >>>>> either AVG Free, or Avast! Both auto-update. AVG Free runs
    >>>>> automatically where
    >>>>> Avast! free must be run. I've had no problems on a VPN with
    >>>>> either. Cheers;
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Ed
    >>> --
    >>> Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    >>> Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    >>> -- My Wife




  19. Re: OT A question of AV software

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 18:52:06 -0500, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> There is no need to run Outhouse, even on Windoze. Thunderbird is
    >> available for all those systems.

    >
    > Well, you should know, Win-droid.
    >
    >> Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after (or intermixed
    >> with) the quoted material to which you reply, after snipping all
    >> irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links:

    >
    > Please do not advise others on how to post until you fix your
    > non-compliant signature block, Mr. Hypocrite. You've been asked to do
    > this innumerable times, by many different people, and yet you refuse
    > to comply. Why is that? Why do you not fix something so obviously
    > broken? Why do you think you can tell others how to post properly,
    > when you yourself do not?


    OK, folks... Let's make a piece. I've already made a required change.
    Thanks to Ed.



  20. Re: OT A question of AV software

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 02:58:42 +0000, Vittorio Okio wrote:

    >> Please do not advise others on how to post until you fix your
    >> non-compliant signature block, Mr. Hypocrite. You've been asked to do
    >> this innumerable times, by many different people, and yet you refuse
    >> to comply. Why is that? Why do you not fix something so obviously
    >> broken? Why do you think you can tell others how to post properly,
    >> when you yourself do not?


    > OK, folks... Let's make a piece.


    A piece of what? Pie? Ass?

    > I've already made a required change.


    Ummm......

    > X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138


    You've got a ways to go, yet.


    --
    "Ubuntu" -- an African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me".


+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast