Dual pane file manager - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Dual pane file manager - Ubuntu ; Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu? Thanks. Sigi...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Dual pane file manager

    Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    Thanks.

    Sigi

  2. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Sigi wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Sigi

    Try gnome-commander

  3. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Sigi said:
    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Sigi

    mc (midnight commander)

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  4. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Sigi wrote:

    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu? Thanks.

    I like Tux Commander myself. In the repos as "tuxcmd".

  5. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Central Scrutinizer said:
    > Sigi wrote:
    >
    > > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu? Thanks.

    > I like Tux Commander myself. In the repos as "tuxcmd".

    Is that new? I don't find it in the 7.04 repos.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  6. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    > Central Scrutinizer said:
    >> Sigi wrote:
    >>
    >> > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu? Thanks.

    >> I like Tux Commander myself. In the repos as "tuxcmd".

    > Is that new? I don't find it in the 7.04 repos.

    DOH!

    My bad, it's not in the repos. I wish I could swear this would teach me
    to double check rather than assuming, but...

    Anyway.

    http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/

    There's .deb packages on the download page.

  7. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Central Scrutinizer said:
    > Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
    >
    > > Central Scrutinizer said:

    > >> I like Tux Commander myself. In the repos as "tuxcmd".

    > > Is that new? I don't find it in the 7.04 repos.

    > DOH!
    >
    > My bad, it's not in the repos. I wish I could swear this would teach
    > me to double check rather than assuming, but...
    >
    > Anyway.
    >
    > http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > There's .deb packages on the download page.

    Ah, nice little file manager, thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't have
    the console functionality of mc. I (often) need that to fix my
    self-b0rked system.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  8. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    > Central Scrutinizer said:
    >> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

    >> > Is that new? I don't find it in the 7.04 repos.

    >> DOH!
    >>
    >> My bad, it's not in the repos. I wish I could swear this would teach
    >> me to double check rather than assuming, but...
    >>
    >> Anyway.
    >>
    >> http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> There's .deb packages on the download page.

    > Ah, nice little file manager, thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't have
    > the console functionality of mc. I (often) need that to fix my
    > self-b0rked system.
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard

    Give Gnome Commander a try. I think it's in the repos. If not, shouldn't be
    hard to find.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  9. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Sigi wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Sigi

    I use Krusader - love it.

  10. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Sigi wrote:

    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Sigi

    Konqueror, should be already installed.

  11. Re: Dual pane file manager

    On 2007-11-19, Sigi hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    > Thanks.

    "Worker" written by a German dude, and it *ROCKS* :-)

    http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/

    Highly configurable, use it for "YEARS" now on each distro I tried.

    > Sigi

    Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: Dual pane file manager

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 03:31:04 +0100, Sigi wrote:

    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    > Thanks.

    Just open two windows of Nautilus when you need two panes. :-)

    --
    Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

  13. Re: Dual pane file manager

    wrote:

    >Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Sigi

    I use and love Krusader; it's in the repositories

  14. Re: Dual pane file manager

    On 2007-11-19, Sigi wrote:

    > Any recommendations for a dual pane file manager for Ubuntu?

    I use Gentoo: .

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson, author |
    2005, Apress | GNU General Public Licence

  15. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them.

    Krusader looks the best but requires KDE files. Would that not mean a
    lot of bloat and slow it down?

    Sigi

  16. Re: Dual pane file manager

    On 2007-11-21, Sigi hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them.
    >
    > Krusader looks the best but requires KDE files. Would that not mean a
    > lot of bloat and slow it down?

    On a "Gnome" System I used I installed "k3b" and another KDE
    application, I think only the needed files for the programs
    are installed. And contrary to another OS, no matter how
    many Programs you've got installed, the boot-speed will
    still be the same. Of course once in while a files-system
    check is run. So yes you might use a lot of HD-space for the
    programs files, but I think this shouldn't be a issue...

    > Sigi

    Dragomir Kollaric

  17. Re: Dual pane file manager

    On 2007-11-21, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2007-11-21, Sigi hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them.
    >>
    >> Krusader looks the best but requires KDE files. Would that not mean a
    >> lot of bloat and slow it down?

    > On a "Gnome" System I used I installed "k3b" and another KDE
    > application, I think only the needed files for the programs
    > are installed. And contrary to another OS, no matter how
    > many Programs you've got installed, the boot-speed will
    > still be the same. Of course once in while a files-system
    > check is run. So yes you might use a lot of HD-space for the
    > programs files, but I think this shouldn't be a issue...
    >

    >> Sigi
    >>

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    I apologize for coming into the discussion mid-thread, but I can't
    help wondering why it would be necessary to install all this QT stuff
    for a Gnome desktop, when there is good old reliable midnight
    commander out there -- simple, elegant and minimally draining on
    system resources?

    Anyway, that's my first thought about dual-pane file managers.

    --
    Terry
    ______________

  18. Re: Dual pane file manager

    On 2007-11-21, Doc hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On 2007-11-21, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-21, Sigi hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them.
    >>>
    >>> Krusader looks the best but requires KDE files. Would that not mean a
    >>> lot of bloat and slow it down?

    >> On a "Gnome" System I used I installed "k3b" and another KDE
    >> application, I think only the needed files for the programs
    >> are installed. And contrary to another OS, no matter how
    >> many Programs you've got installed, the boot-speed will
    >> still be the same. Of course once in while a files-system
    >> check is run. So yes you might use a lot of HD-space for the
    >> programs files, but I think this shouldn't be a issue...

    Yeah it's though to recommend a good DM, after all with *so* many
    choices.... :-) I seldom run MC on the desktop. But I think "worker"
    might be a good alternative to it... :-)

    >>> Sigi
    >>>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > I apologize for coming into the discussion mid-thread, but I can't
    > help wondering why it would be necessary to install all this QT stuff
    > for a Gnome desktop, when there is good old reliable midnight
    > commander out there -- simple, elegant and minimally draining on
    > system resources?
    >
    > Anyway, that's my first thought about dual-pane file managers.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  19. Re: Dual pane file manager

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:52:34 GMT
    NoStop wrote:

    > Give Gnome Commander a try. I think it's in the repos. If not, shouldn't be
    > hard to find.

    Very nice app.

    --
    If you can do ballet then you can do anything
    except reach high things because you're dinky.

  20. Re: Dual pane file manager

    Trevor Best said:
    > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:52:34 GMT
    > NoStop wrote:
    >
    > > Give Gnome Commander a try. I think it's in the repos. If not,
    > > shouldn't be hard to find.

    > Very nice app.

    But still of no use (as mc is) for command line work when you have
    borked your GUI. (as I do sometimes)

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.