Sane Output Question - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Sane Output Question - Ubuntu ; I recently added Ubuntu 7.10 for dual booting on a system which has a Microtek Scanmaker 4800 scanner connected. This scanner works properly under WinXP (and Win98 previously) but I cannot get it to operate correctly under Sane! Sanes' prescan ...

  1. Sane Output Question

    I recently added Ubuntu 7.10 for dual booting on a system which has a
    Microtek Scanmaker 4800 scanner connected. This scanner works properly
    under WinXP (and Win98 previously) but I cannot get it to operate
    correctly under Sane!

    Sanes' prescan works properly providing a very good image but I cannot
    get satisfactory output either to my printer (HP Color Laserjet 2605dn)
    or as a saved jpeg file. In both cases the image is the same as an olden
    TV picture where the horizontal synchronization was wrong, ie. there are
    diagonal lines of something like the preview but absolutely unusable.

    I have changed all the setup settings on Sane but nothing seems to
    impact. Has anyone else had this problem and/or any suggestions for
    either troubleshooting or repair?

    TIA Tom

  2. Re: Sane Output Question

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:33:25 -0600, Tom Clydesdale wrote:

    > I recently added Ubuntu 7.10 for dual booting on a system which has a
    > Microtek Scanmaker 4800 scanner connected. This scanner works properly
    > under WinXP (and Win98 previously) but I cannot get it to operate
    > correctly under Sane!
    >
    > Sanes' prescan works properly providing a very good image but I cannot
    > get satisfactory output either to my printer (HP Color Laserjet 2605dn)
    > or as a saved jpeg file. In both cases the image is the same as an
    > olden TV picture where the horizontal synchronization was wrong, ie.
    > there are diagonal lines of something like the preview but absolutely
    > unusable.
    >
    > I have changed all the setup settings on Sane but nothing seems to
    > impact. Has anyone else had this problem and/or any suggestions for
    > either troubleshooting or repair?
    >
    > TIA Tom

    I note that there's a special SANE driver for the 4800, but it looks a
    bit fiddly to install.

    http://www.ziplabel.com/sm3840/

    Maybe you could contact the author for help.

  3. Re: Sane Output Question

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:33:25 -0600, Tom Clydesdale wrote:

    > I recently added Ubuntu 7.10 for dual booting on a system which has a
    > Microtek Scanmaker 4800 scanner connected. This scanner works properly
    > under WinXP (and Win98 previously) but I cannot get it to operate
    > correctly under Sane!
    >
    > Sanes' prescan works properly providing a very good image but I cannot
    > get satisfactory output either to my printer (HP Color Laserjet 2605dn)
    > or as a saved jpeg file. In both cases the image is the same as an
    > olden TV picture where the horizontal synchronization was wrong, ie.
    > there are diagonal lines of something like the preview but absolutely
    > unusable.
    >
    > I have changed all the setup settings on Sane but nothing seems to
    > impact. Has anyone else had this problem and/or any suggestions for
    > either troubleshooting or repair?
    >
    > TIA Tom

    I think that I've found out the way to fix problems - just put them in
    the newsgroup!!!

    I made no changes to the Xsane setup merely shutting down the system to
    do some other work (after struggling with this problem for 3 days) and
    when I restarted linux/xsane lo and behold it works!!! The only thing
    that changed was the application of 7 system updates which did not appear
    to be involved! I AM CONFUSED and sorry to bother everyone.

    Tom

  4. Re: Sane Output Question

    Tom Clydesdale wrote:
    > I recently added Ubuntu 7.10 for dual booting on a system which has a
    > Microtek Scanmaker 4800 scanner connected. This scanner works properly
    > under WinXP (and Win98 previously) but I cannot get it to operate
    > correctly under Sane!
    >
    > Sanes' prescan works properly providing a very good image but I cannot
    > get satisfactory output either to my printer (HP Color Laserjet 2605dn)
    > or as a saved jpeg file. In both cases the image is the same as an olden
    > TV picture where the horizontal synchronization was wrong, ie. there are
    > diagonal lines of something like the preview but absolutely unusable.
    >
    > I have changed all the setup settings on Sane but nothing seems to
    > impact. Has anyone else had this problem and/or any suggestions for
    > either troubleshooting or repair?
    >
    > TIA Tom

    You might try installing HPOJ and all the lirc libraries you can find.
    Its a hit-or-miss proposition, but those got my HP ScanJet 2300c working
    right. They're also all available via the Synaptic Package Manager.

    Cheers;

    Ed

+ Reply to Thread