Converting Filesystem - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Converting Filesystem - Ubuntu ; I am a newbie to this OS, so new I haven't used it except for the live CD, which isn't quite the same thing as using it. I am considering using a dual boot for Win-XP / Ubuntu 7.10. However ...

  1. Converting Filesystem

    I am a newbie to this OS, so new I haven't used it except for the live CD,
    which isn't quite the same thing as using it.

    I am considering using a dual boot for Win-XP / Ubuntu 7.10. However my
    research indicates I need to do some extra software install for Ubuntu to
    read/write my NTFS filesystem. Can someone supply some documentation on
    these steps.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Converting Filesystem

    JHL wrote:

    > I am a newbie to this OS, so new I haven't used it except for the live CD,
    > which isn't quite the same thing as using it.
    >
    > I am considering using a dual boot for Win-XP / Ubuntu 7.10. However my
    > research indicates I need to do some extra software install for Ubuntu to
    > read/write my NTFS filesystem. Can someone supply some documentation on
    > these steps.
    >
    > Thanks

    Install it and if it doesn't equip you to read/write to ntfs, it's easily
    fixable once installed. Come back after you've got it installed for further
    assistance.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  3. Re: Converting Filesystem

    JHL wrote:
    > I am a newbie to this OS, so new I haven't used it except for the live CD,
    > which isn't quite the same thing as using it.
    >
    > I am considering using a dual boot for Win-XP / Ubuntu 7.10. However my
    > research indicates I need to do some extra software install for Ubuntu to
    > read/write my NTFS filesystem. Can someone supply some documentation on
    > these steps.

    It's called the ntfs-3g driver(s)
    And once you have Ubuntu installed you can find it in the repositories.
    You say you want to install Ubuntu so the default package manager would
    be Synaptic, just start it up and type in the name of the package(s) you
    want and select Install.
    There is a separate package called ntfs-config, install it too and you
    can access it via the System software to enable the ntfs partitions.

    Easier than Windows ever was and will be

    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread