Partition Ubuntu ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Partition Ubuntu ? - Ubuntu ; Hi all, I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD. I would like to partition the HD example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig So far I have used 15.2gig up. What will the best partition program ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Partition Ubuntu ?

    Hi all,
    I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD.
    I would like to partition the HD example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig
    So far I have used 15.2gig up.

    What will the best partition program to use without any chance of
    I did try QTParted but I cant use it as it tells me No deivce found,
    maybe I am not the root user.
    And I do not know how to over come this.

    TIA,

    Mike.

    --
    Lets stop hurting and killing each other,
    Lets all live in peace.

  2. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Primax wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD.
    > I would like to partition the HD example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig
    > So far I have used 15.2gig up.
    >
    > What will the best partition program to use without any chance of
    > I did try QTParted but I cant use it as it tells me No deivce found,
    > maybe I am not the root user.
    > And I do not know how to over come this.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Mike.

    as with everything that needs root privileges:

    gksudo gparted in a command line

    NOTE NOTE NOTE you MUST unmount any mounted partition before you work on it.

  3. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Derek Turner wrote:
    > Primax wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD.
    >> I would like to partition the HD example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig
    >> So far I have used 15.2gig up.
    >>
    >> What will the best partition program to use without any chance of
    >> I did try QTParted but I cant use it as it tells me No deivce found,
    >> maybe I am not the root user.
    >> And I do not know how to over come this.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Mike.
    >>

    > as with everything that needs root privileges:
    >
    > gksudo gparted in a command line
    >
    > NOTE NOTE NOTE you MUST unmount any mounted partition before you work on
    > it.

    Thank you for the info on that, I may leave it as it is, I have been
    asked that why should I do it, when I can just simply have folders in
    the same 80Gig HD.

    Mike.

    --
    Lets stop hurting and killing each other,
    Lets all live in peace.

  4. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:22:27 +0000, Primax wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD. I would like to partition the HD
    > example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig So far I have used 15.2gig up.
    >
    > What will the best partition program to use without any chance of I did
    > try QTParted but I cant use it as it tells me No deivce found, maybe I
    > am not the root user.

    Try the commands 'gksudo gparted &' or 'sudo parted'.

    I have to give some friendly advice -- partitioning the hard drive to put
    different types of files on different partitions is probably not what you
    want to do.

    If I were doing this, I would probably put the different types of files
    in different directories, or maybe in different user accounts. Breaking
    up the drive the way you suggest will probably lead to unnecessary
    complications later on. Of course, any way you want to do it is your
    business.

  5. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Joe User wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:22:27 +0000, Primax wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD. I would like to partition the HD
    >> example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig So far I have used 15.2gig up.
    >>
    >> What will the best partition program to use without any chance of I did
    >> try QTParted but I cant use it as it tells me No deivce found, maybe I
    >> am not the root user.

    > Try the commands 'gksudo gparted &' or 'sudo parted'.
    >
    > I have to give some friendly advice -- partitioning the hard drive to put
    > different types of files on different partitions is probably not what you
    > want to do.
    >
    > If I were doing this, I would probably put the different types of files
    > in different directories, or maybe in different user accounts. Breaking
    > up the drive the way you suggest will probably lead to unnecessary
    > complications later on. Of course, any way you want to do it is your
    > business.

    No its Ok, I shall leave things as they are, its better that way really.

    Any way I have got used to having folders in my Home folder I can get
    them them quick enough that way.

    Its just an ex Windows user thing that`s all.
    With Linux I dont need to do this at all.

    Its simply a Windows habit that I don`t need to apply to Linux/Ubuntu.

    Mike.

    --
    Lets stop hurting and killing each other,
    Lets all live in peace.

  6. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Primax wrote:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:22:27 +0000, Primax wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD. I would like to partition the HD
    >>> example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig So far I have used 15.2gig up.
    >>>
    >>> What will the best partition program to use without any chance of I did
    >>> try QTParted but I cant use it as it tells me No deivce found, maybe I
    >>> am not the root user.

    >> Try the commands 'gksudo gparted &' or 'sudo parted'.
    >>
    >> I have to give some friendly advice -- partitioning the hard drive to put
    >> different types of files on different partitions is probably not what you
    >> want to do.
    >>
    >> If I were doing this, I would probably put the different types of files
    >> in different directories, or maybe in different user accounts. Breaking
    >> up the drive the way you suggest will probably lead to unnecessary
    >> complications later on. Of course, any way you want to do it is your
    >> business.
    >>

    > No its Ok, I shall leave things as they are, its better that way really.
    >
    > Any way I have got used to having folders in my Home folder I can get
    > them them quick enough that way.
    >
    > Its just an ex Windows user thing that`s all.
    > With Linux I dont need to do this at all.
    >
    > Its simply a Windows habit that I don`t need to apply to Linux/Ubuntu.
    >
    > Mike.

    Further to that Mike ... even if you had other dedicated partitions, they'd
    still all be mounted some place under your main / directory, as are all
    hard drives and partitions. So you are correct to think outside of the
    Windoze box. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  7. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Primax writes:

    > Joe User wrote:
    >> On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:22:27 +0000, Primax wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I am using Ubuntu 7.10 on an 80 Gig HD. I would like to partition the HD
    >>> example MP3 5 gig, Radio Plays 5 gig So far I have used 15.2gig up.
    >>>
    >>> What will the best partition program to use without any chance of I did
    >>> try QTParted but I cant use it as it tells me No deivce found, maybe I
    >>> am not the root user.

    >> Try the commands 'gksudo gparted &' or 'sudo parted'.
    >>
    >> I have to give some friendly advice -- partitioning the hard drive
    >> to put different types of files on different partitions is probably
    >> not what you want to do.
    >>
    >> If I were doing this, I would probably put the different types of
    >> files in different directories, or maybe in different user accounts.
    >> Breaking up the drive the way you suggest will probably lead to
    >> unnecessary complications later on. Of course, any way you want to
    >> do it is your business.
    >>

    > No its Ok, I shall leave things as they are, its better that way really.
    >
    > Any way I have got used to having folders in my Home folder I can get
    > them them quick enough that way.
    >
    > Its just an ex Windows user thing that`s all.

    What is? I think you need to read up a bit on the concept of
    directories. You didn't have seperate partitions in windows for these
    things and you dont need them in Linux either.

    > With Linux I dont need to do this at all.

    Neither do you in windows. With all due respect I think you might be a
    bit mixed up from your migration.

    > Its simply a Windows habit that I don`t need to apply to Linux/Ubuntu.

    No its not. It's pretty much the same bar some nomenclature. Except the
    Linux way is cleaner. I wont talk for Gnome/KDE kludges for things like
    "my documents" (if they even exist) but more the clean, pure linux
    filesystem way.

    In windows you have things like "my data" and "my music". But you dont
    have to use them. They are merely "nice shortcuts" if you like with easy
    to recognise names.

    In Linux you can have the same if you so wish.

    In Linux all data (pretty much) is beneath your home directory.

    e.g
    /home/primax

    All you would have to do is create a multimedia directory from your home
    folder using your desktop manager or from a terminal. e.g open a terminal

    cd ~
    mkdir multimedia
    mkdir multimedia/videos
    mkdir multimedia/music

    etc etc..

    Now, you can, if you like create shortcuts to this on your desktop using
    your file manager. Or, if you fancy being really tough even from the
    command line! e.g in a terminal again

    cd ~/Desktop
    ln -s ~/multimedia/videos .
    ln -s ~/multimedia/music mymusic

    Symbolic links are an important concept - get used to the concept of the
    filesystem. There are many good tutorials out there in google land.

    --
    BOFH excuse #448:

    vi needs to be upgraded to vii

  8. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    NoStop wrote:
    > Primax wrote:
    >
    >> Joe User wrote:

    >>> Try the commands 'gksudo gparted &' or 'sudo parted'.
    >>>
    >>> I have to give some friendly advice -- partitioning the hard drive to put
    >>> different types of files on different partitions is probably not what you
    >>> want to do.
    >>>
    >>> If I were doing this, I would probably put the different types of files
    >>> in different directories, or maybe in different user accounts. Breaking
    >>> up the drive the way you suggest will probably lead to unnecessary
    >>> complications later on. Of course, any way you want to do it is your
    >>> business.
    >>>

    >> No its Ok, I shall leave things as they are, its better that way really.
    >>
    >> Any way I have got used to having folders in my Home folder I can get
    >> them them quick enough that way.
    >>
    >> Its just an ex Windows user thing that`s all.
    >> With Linux I dont need to do this at all.
    >>
    >> Its simply a Windows habit that I don`t need to apply to Linux/Ubuntu.
    >>
    >> Mike.
    >>

    > Further to that Mike ... even if you had other dedicated partitions, they'd
    > still all be mounted some place under your main / directory, as are all
    > hard drives and partitions. So you are correct to think outside of the
    > Windoze box. :-)
    >
    > Cheers.

    Yes I know, since I have been getting used to Linux/Ubuntu, its hard at
    times to break habits from Windows.

    Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows every couple
    of week`s or so, do I need to do that to Ubuntu? if so where do I get a
    defrag program from?

    Mike.

    --
    Lets stop hurting and killing each other,
    Lets all live in peace.

  9. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    On 2007-11-17, Primax hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows
    > every couple of week`s or so, do I need to do that to
    > Ubuntu? if so where do I get a defrag program from?

    No need to do it, especially if you use ext3 or ReisersFS.
    There is a tool but it handles ext2, I haven't used it, in
    fact in all my years of using Gnu/Linux I never used it.

    Unless "Hadron" can tell you of a "bleeding edge" defrag tool for
    ext3...:-)

    > Mike.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  10. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Hadron wrote:
    > Primax writes:
    >
    >> Joe User wrote:

    >>> Try the commands 'gksudo gparted &' or 'sudo parted'.
    >>>
    >>> I have to give some friendly advice -- partitioning the hard drive
    >>> to put different types of files on different partitions is probably
    >>> not what you want to do.
    >>>
    >>> If I were doing this, I would probably put the different types of
    >>> files in different directories, or maybe in different user accounts.
    >>> Breaking up the drive the way you suggest will probably lead to
    >>> unnecessary complications later on. Of course, any way you want to
    >>> do it is your business.
    >>>

    >> No its Ok, I shall leave things as they are, its better that way really.
    >>
    >> Any way I have got used to having folders in my Home folder I can get
    >> them them quick enough that way.
    >>
    >> Its just an ex Windows user thing that`s all.

    > What is? I think you need to read up a bit on the concept of
    > directories. You didn't have seperate partitions in windows for these
    > things and you dont need them in Linux either.
    >
    >> With Linux I dont need to do this at all.

    > Neither do you in windows. With all due respect I think you might be a
    > bit mixed up from your migration.
    >
    >> Its simply a Windows habit that I don`t need to apply to Linux/Ubuntu.

    > No its not. It's pretty much the same bar some nomenclature. Except the
    > Linux way is cleaner. I wont talk for Gnome/KDE kludges for things like
    > "my documents" (if they even exist) but more the clean, pure linux
    > filesystem way.
    >
    > In windows you have things like "my data" and "my music". But you dont
    > have to use them. They are merely "nice shortcuts" if you like with easy
    > to recognise names.
    >
    > In Linux you can have the same if you so wish.
    >
    > In Linux all data (pretty much) is beneath your home directory.
    >
    > e.g
    > /home/primax
    >
    > All you would have to do is create a multimedia directory from your home
    > folder using your desktop manager or from a terminal. e.g open a terminal
    >
    > cd ~
    > mkdir multimedia
    > mkdir multimedia/videos
    > mkdir multimedia/music
    >
    > etc etc..
    >
    > Now, you can, if you like create shortcuts to this on your desktop using
    > your file manager. Or, if you fancy being really tough even from the
    > command line! e.g in a terminal again
    >
    > cd ~/Desktop
    > ln -s ~/multimedia/videos .
    > ln -s ~/multimedia/music mymusic
    >

    > Symbolic links are an important concept - get used to the concept of the
    > filesystem. There are many good tutorials out there in google land.
    >

    >> Mike.

    Well what I have done is this, opened my Home folder from Places, then
    right clicked mouse seen the drop down menu and Created Folder from that.
    Nice and easy.

    Mike.

    --
    Lets stop hurting and killing each other,
    Lets all live in peace.

  11. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2007-11-17, Primax hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >

    >> Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows
    >> every couple of week`s or so, do I need to do that to
    >> Ubuntu? if so where do I get a defrag program from?

    > No need to do it, especially if you use ext3 or ReisersFS.
    > There is a tool but it handles ext2, I haven't used it, in
    > fact in all my years of using Gnu/Linux I never used it.
    >
    > Unless "Hadron" can tell you of a "bleeding edge" defrag tool for
    > ext3...:-)
    >
    >> Mike.
    >>

    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Ahhh thank you for that, do you know, the more I learn about Linux the
    better it sounds compared to Windows.

    Mike.
    --
    Lets stop hurting and killing each other,
    Lets all live in peace.

  12. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:32:54 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    It can be a good idea to create a shareable by all users directory (e.g.
    for mp3's) which doesn't belong to any particular user. You would put
    this in the / directory (and give it it's own partition if you want to be
    really safe against the effects of upgrades).

    --
    Jeremy Boden
    "64 bits good, 32 bits bad"

  13. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Primax writes:

    > Yes I know, since I have been getting used to Linux/Ubuntu, its hard
    > at times to break habits from Windows.

    See my other post. Windows does not make you partition for storing your
    mp3 files ....

    > Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows every
    > couple of week`s or so, do I need to do that to Ubuntu? if so where
    > do I get a defrag program from?

    Linux filesystems do not generally need defragging regularly - it
    depends on the disk usage and the filesystem in use. Google has lots of
    info. There was a long and heated discussion about this recently. FWIW,
    neither does windows XP/ntfs if you are not installing/uninstalling
    every 10 minutes. Since most usage is with SW installed at system
    install time they are not fragmented and performance is just fine. There
    is a core group of people who insist on exaggerating issues who defrag
    windows every few days. The gains they gather are negligible to say the
    least in most cases. I would defrag about once every few months and then
    only if I was short of disk space.

    > Mike.

    ISAR

    --
    Todo se hace mas fácil con la práctica. ¡¡¡Menos madrugar !!!
    -- D.C.

  14. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Primax writes:

    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-17, Primax hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>

    >>> Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows
    >>> every couple of week`s or so, do I need to do that to
    >>> Ubuntu? if so where do I get a defrag program from?

    >> No need to do it, especially if you use ext3 or ReisersFS.
    >> There is a tool but it handles ext2, I haven't used it, in
    >> fact in all my years of using Gnu/Linux I never used it.
    >>
    >> Unless "Hadron" can tell you of a "bleeding edge" defrag tool for
    >> ext3...:-)
    >>
    >>> Mike.
    >>>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > Ahhh thank you for that, do you know, the more I learn about Linux the
    > better it sounds compared to Windows.
    >

    > Mike.

    Obsequious kowtowing will only get you so far :-;

    --
    He asked me if I knew what time it was -- I said yes, but not right now.
    -- Steven Wright

  15. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Jeremy Boden writes:

    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:32:54 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > It can be a good idea to create a shareable by all users directory (e.g.
    > for mp3's) which doesn't belong to any particular user. You would put
    > this in the / directory (and give it it's own partition if you want to be
    > really safe against the effects of upgrades).

    No. You would generally put it in the /media directory IMO.

    Never put things in the root - keep it as God intended.

    But yes, you can keep your multimedia on an external drive or seperate
    partition too. But since the OP was gushing about how he didn't need to
    partition like "****ty windows" then I didn't think it was worth
    complicating the issue further at this stage.

    here is a small extract from my fstab

    ,----
    | /dev/sda7 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    | /dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
    |
    | UUID=34efec30-45af-4279-8a3c-********* /media/multimedia ext3 defaults,user,auto 0 0
    | UUID=9cca18b2-5ab8-11dc-b209-********* /media/home_bu ext3 defaults,user,auto 0 0
    | UUID=9e8703c2-5ab8-11dc-82e2-********* /media/spare ext3 defaults,user,auto 0 0
    `----

    home on partition, home_bu and multimedia on external USB.

    --
    He asked me if I knew what time it was -- I said yes, but not right now.
    -- Steven Wright

  16. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Hadron wrote:

    > Primax writes:
    >
    >> Joe User wrote:

    >>> Try the commands 'gksudo gparted &' or 'sudo parted'.
    >>>
    >>> I have to give some friendly advice -- partitioning the hard drive
    >>> to put different types of files on different partitions is probably
    >>> not what you want to do.
    >>>
    >>> If I were doing this, I would probably put the different types of
    >>> files in different directories, or maybe in different user accounts.
    >>> Breaking up the drive the way you suggest will probably lead to
    >>> unnecessary complications later on. Of course, any way you want to
    >>> do it is your business.
    >>>

    >> No its Ok, I shall leave things as they are, its better that way really.
    >>
    >> Any way I have got used to having folders in my Home folder I can get
    >> them them quick enough that way.
    >>
    >> Its just an ex Windows user thing that`s all.

    > What is? I think you need to read up a bit on the concept of
    > directories. You didn't have seperate partitions in windows for these
    > things and you dont need them in Linux either.

    Geez. He just finished saying that he DID have separate partitions to keep
    things organized on his Windoze box. That is pretty standard procedure for
    many Windoze users, as in: let's put our video files on Drive Dee and put
    our music files on Drive EEEEEEEE, for example. Where you been?

    >> With Linux I dont need to do this at all.

    > Neither do you in windows. With all due respect I think you might be a
    > bit mixed up from your migration.

    Nope, it's you who is "mixed up" and confusing the thing. As usual, I might
    add.

    >> Its simply a Windows habit that I don`t need to apply to Linux/Ubuntu.

    > No its not. It's pretty much the same bar some nomenclature. Except the
    > Linux way is cleaner. I wont talk for Gnome/KDE kludges for things like
    > "my documents" (if they even exist) but more the clean, pure linux
    > filesystem way.
    >
    > In windows you have things like "my data" and "my music". But you dont
    > have to use them. They are merely "nice shortcuts" if you like with easy
    > to recognise names.
    >
    > In Linux you can have the same if you so wish.
    >
    > In Linux all data (pretty much) is beneath your home directory.
    >
    > e.g
    > /home/primax
    >
    > All you would have to do is create a multimedia directory from your home
    > folder using your desktop manager or from a terminal. e.g open a terminal

    Which already defaults to ones home directory. Making your first command
    unnecessary.

    > cd ~
    > mkdir multimedia
    > mkdir multimedia/videos
    > mkdir multimedia/music
    >
    > etc etc..

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  17. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Primax wrote:

    > NoStop wrote:
    >> Primax wrote:

    >>> No its Ok, I shall leave things as they are, its better that way really.
    >>>
    >>> Any way I have got used to having folders in my Home folder I can get
    >>> them them quick enough that way.
    >>>
    >>> Its just an ex Windows user thing that`s all.
    >>> With Linux I dont need to do this at all.
    >>>
    >>> Its simply a Windows habit that I don`t need to apply to Linux/Ubuntu.
    >>>
    >>> Mike.
    >>>

    >> Further to that Mike ... even if you had other dedicated partitions,
    >> they'd still all be mounted some place under your main / directory, as
    >> are all hard drives and partitions. So you are correct to think outside
    >> of the Windoze box. :-)
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>

    > Yes I know, since I have been getting used to Linux/Ubuntu, its hard at
    > times to break habits from Windows.
    >
    > Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows every couple
    > of week`s or so, do I need to do that to Ubuntu? if so where do I get a
    > defrag program from?

    You don't need to defrag Linux filesystems. Just drop that Windoze-mindset
    as well, as you learn to drop so many others. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  18. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Primax wrote:

    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-17, Primax hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>

    >>> Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows
    >>> every couple of week`s or so, do I need to do that to
    >>> Ubuntu? if so where do I get a defrag program from?

    >> No need to do it, especially if you use ext3 or ReisersFS.
    >> There is a tool but it handles ext2, I haven't used it, in
    >> fact in all my years of using Gnu/Linux I never used it.
    >>
    >> Unless "Hadron" can tell you of a "bleeding edge" defrag tool for
    >> ext3...:-)
    >>
    >>> Mike.
    >>>

    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > Ahhh thank you for that, do you know, the more I learn about Linux the
    > better it sounds compared to Windows.

    Just wait. You ain't seen nothing yet. :-) I assure you, that as you learn
    more, the wow factor will increase.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  19. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Hadron wrote:

    > Primax writes:
    >
    >> Yes I know, since I have been getting used to Linux/Ubuntu, its hard
    >> at times to break habits from Windows.

    > See my other post. Windows does not make you partition for storing your
    > mp3 files ....

    No, but many people do just that. Especially with large collections. And
    frankly, not a bad idea to do with Linux, if one wants to preserve those
    media files outside of the Linux system. Personally, I rely on additional
    hard drives to accomplish that.

    >> Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows every
    >> couple of week`s or so, do I need to do that to Ubuntu? if so where
    >> do I get a defrag program from?

    > Linux filesystems do not generally need defragging regularly - it
    > depends on the disk usage and the filesystem in use.

    They don't need defragging at all, let alone "regularly". Who you
    bull****ting today Hadron?

    > Google has lots of
    > info. There was a long and heated discussion about this recently. FWIW,
    > neither does windows XP/ntfs if you are not installing/uninstalling
    > every 10 minutes.

    Bull****. Disk usage with Windoze involves more than just installing and
    uninstalling which refers to applications and you'd be the only one that
    would do that every 10 minutes. Windoze XP certainly does have a
    fragmentation problem through the course of normal use. But everyone knows
    this but you.

    > Since most usage is with SW installed at system
    > install time they are not fragmented and performance is just fine.

    No, most usage involves the adding and deletion of data files other than the
    installation of applications which is rarely done.

    > There
    > is a core group of people who insist on exaggerating issues who defrag
    > windows every few days. The gains they gather are negligible to say the
    > least in most cases. I would defrag about once every few months and then
    > only if I was short of disk space.

    Depends on how one uses their Windoze computer. Some require more frequent
    defrags than that and others less. But, Windoze drives do need to defragged
    over time and that is a fact. Linux filesystems do not and that too is a
    fact.

    >> Mike.

    > ISAR

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  20. Re: Partition Ubuntu ?

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2007-11-17, Primax hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >

    >> Ohhh and bye the way, as I used to defrag my HD in windows
    >> every couple of week`s or so, do I need to do that to
    >> Ubuntu? if so where do I get a defrag program from?

    > No need to do it, especially if you use ext3 or ReisersFS.
    > There is a tool but it handles ext2, I haven't used it, in
    > fact in all my years of using Gnu/Linux I never used it.

    ext3 is "just" ext2 with a journal thrown in. The file system structure
    itself is identical.
    So if ext3 doesn't need defragmentation, so does ext2.

    --
    Mails please to josef dot moellers
    and I'm on gmx dot de.

+ Reply to Thread