7.10 upgrade laptop igp320m prob - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on 7.10 upgrade laptop igp320m prob - Ubuntu ; Yop. Last time I did the auto upgrade to 7.10 from feisty the monitor plugged in to my laptop went to sleep when X started. Since my built in laptop screen doesnt work (cos its smashed), i was ****ed. The ...

  1. 7.10 upgrade laptop igp320m prob

    Yop.

    Last time I did the auto upgrade to 7.10 from feisty the monitor plugged
    in to my laptop went to sleep when X started. Since my built in laptop
    screen doesnt work (cos its smashed), i was ****ed. The second
    screen woke up when i dropped to a shell (ALT+F2); tty2

    I suppose my question is if i try again, with the xorg.conf file ive got
    now (in feisty) whats the quickest way to recover when everything goes to
    pot again.

    My guess is saving my entire ~/oddity directory and installing all the
    previous programs that were there.

    If anyone has any problems with 7.10 using this particular card i would
    like to know. There is a bug report on the site documenting some problems.

    K bye. x

    the IGP 320m ( mobility U1 ) chipset has to use the radeon driver. It is
    not compatible with fglrx

  2. Re: 7.10 upgrade laptop igp320m prob

    Oddity wrote:

    > Yop.
    >
    > Last time I did the auto upgrade to 7.10 from feisty the monitor plugged
    > in to my laptop went to sleep when X started. Since my built in laptop
    > screen doesnt work (cos its smashed), i was ****ed. The second
    > screen woke up when i dropped to a shell (ALT+F2); tty2
    >
    > I suppose my question is if i try again, with the xorg.conf file ive got
    > now (in feisty) whats the quickest way to recover when everything goes to
    > pot again.

    You can try running ...

    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

    > My guess is saving my entire ~/oddity directory and installing all the
    > previous programs that were there.

    Nope that won't help at all.

    > If anyone has any problems with 7.10 using this particular card i would
    > like to know. There is a bug report on the site documenting some problems.
    >
    > K bye. x
    >
    > the IGP 320m ( mobility U1 ) chipset has to use the radeon driver. It is
    > not compatible with fglrx

    Do check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make sure it's running either the "ati"
    or "radeon" open source drivers.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  3. Re: 7.10 upgrade laptop igp320m prob

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 02:03:06 +0000, someone purporting to be NoStop
    scrawled firmly:

    > Oddity wrote:
    >
    >> Yop.
    >>
    >> Last time I did the auto upgrade to 7.10 from feisty the monitor plugged
    >> in to my laptop went to sleep when X started. Since my built in laptop
    >> screen doesnt work (cos its smashed), i was ****ed. The second
    >> screen woke up when i dropped to a shell (ALT+F2); tty2
    >>
    >> I suppose my question is if i try again, with the xorg.conf file ive got
    >> now (in feisty) whats the quickest way to recover when everything goes to
    >> pot again.
    >>

    > You can try running ...
    >
    > sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    >
    >> My guess is saving my entire ~/oddity directory and installing all the
    >> previous programs that were there.
    >>

    > Nope that won't help at all.

    I MEANT .. to restore my previous install when it borks again.

    >> If anyone has any problems with 7.10 using this particular card i would
    >> like to know. There is a bug report on the site documenting some problems.
    >>
    >> K bye. x
    >>
    >> the IGP 320m ( mobility U1 ) chipset has to use the radeon driver. It is
    >> not compatible with fglrx

    > Do check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make sure it's running either the "ati"
    > or "radeon" open source drivers.

    I tried that last time.

    I'll take your word for it that if i use my existing xorg.conf file with
    the upgrade it'll work now, like it didnt before.

    > Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread