Update Manager Weirdness Today... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Update Manager Weirdness Today... - Ubuntu ; Now, I'll admit my ignorance on some of these more esoteric security issues, but I would appreciate some knowledgeable someone explaining today's apparent weirdness with the update manager. A notification informed me that three samba files needed updating, yet when ...

  1. Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    Now, I'll admit my ignorance on some of these more esoteric security
    issues, but I would appreciate some knowledgeable someone explaining
    today's apparent weirdness with the update manager. A notification
    informed me that three samba files needed updating, yet when I tried
    to install the files, I got the following prompt:

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    403 Forbidden

    Apparently there was some burp on the Canonical end. I would like to
    know, however, just what's up.

    Thanks,

    --
    Terry
    ______________

  2. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:30:16 -0600, Doc wrote:

    > Now, I'll admit my ignorance on some of these more esoteric security
    > issues, but I would appreciate some knowledgeable someone explaining
    > today's apparent weirdness with the update manager. A notification
    > informed me that three samba files needed updating, yet when I tried
    > to install the files, I got the following prompt:
    >
    > W: Failed to fetch
    > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    > 403 Forbidden
    >
    > Apparently there was some burp on the Canonical end. I would like to
    > know, however, just what's up.
    >
    > Thanks,

    I get same thing. Don't know what it means so I thought I would post, but
    you beat me to it. I'm not sure what samba is but a look at man seems to
    indicate it is to do with networking. My machine is a standalone, so maybe
    that update doesn't apply. Problem is the update re-appears on each boot.
    Dave Cohen

  3. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    On 2007-11-16, Dave Cohen wrote:

    > I get same thing. Don't know what it means so I thought I would post, but
    > you beat me to it. I'm not sure what samba is but a look at man seems to
    > indicate it is to do with networking. My machine is a standalone, so maybe
    > that update doesn't apply. Problem is the update re-appears on each boot.
    > Dave Cohen

    Same thing here. I had 80 updates to apply and they all went but 4, all to
    do with samba. No sweat as I was expecting to have to reconfigure
    xserver since the linux restricted drivers were one of the updates...
    maybe the kernel as well.

    --
    If two people love each other, there can be no happy end to it.
    -- Ernest Hemingway

  4. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    Doc wrote

    > A notification
    > informed me that three samba files needed updating, yet when I tried
    > to install the files, I got the following prompt:
    >
    > W: Failed to fetch
    > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    > 403 Forbidden

    Just installed Ubuntu. Got the same problem.

    Pete T.

  5. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:30:16 -0600, Doc wrote:
    >
    >> Now, I'll admit my ignorance on some of these more esoteric security
    >> issues, but I would appreciate some knowledgeable someone explaining
    >> today's apparent weirdness with the update manager. A notification
    >> informed me that three samba files needed updating, yet when I tried
    >> to install the files, I got the following prompt:
    >>
    >> W: Failed to fetch
    >> http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    >> 403 Forbidden
    >>
    >> Apparently there was some burp on the Canonical end. I would like to
    >> know, however, just what's up.
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > I get same thing. Don't know what it means so I thought I would post, but
    > you beat me to it. I'm not sure what samba is but a look at man seems to
    > indicate it is to do with networking. My machine is a standalone, so maybe
    > that update doesn't apply. Problem is the update re-appears on each boot.
    > Dave Cohen

    Me too I have files related to samba that show:

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    403 Forbidden

    W: Failed to fetch
    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    403 Forbidden

  6. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    Doc wrote:

    > Now, I'll admit my ignorance on some of these more esoteric security
    > issues, but I would appreciate some knowledgeable someone explaining
    > today's apparent weirdness with the update manager. A notification
    > informed me that three samba files needed updating, yet when I tried
    > to install the files, I got the following prompt:
    >
    > W: Failed to fetch

    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    > 403 Forbidden
    >
    > Apparently there was some burp on the Canonical end. I would like to
    > know, however, just what's up.
    >
    > Thanks,

    As I pointed out in another thread, there's a problem with the server.
    Specifically it looks like a permissions problem with their webserver
    setup. I'm sure they'll fix it shortly. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  7. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    Baba O'Reilly illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On 2007-11-16, Dave Cohen wrote:
    >>
    >> I get same thing. Don't know what it means so I thought I would post, but
    >> you beat me to it. I'm not sure what samba is but a look at man seems to
    >> indicate it is to do with networking. My machine is a standalone, so maybe
    >> that update doesn't apply. Problem is the update re-appears on each boot.
    >> Dave Cohen
    >>

    > Same thing here. I had 80 updates to apply and they all went but 4, all to
    > do with samba. No sweat as I was expecting to have to reconfigure
    > xserver since the linux restricted drivers were one of the updates...
    > maybe the kernel as well.

    To anyone expereincing this permissions error with the update.

    *Don't* *worry*.

    The Ubuntu team will be working on a fix and you should see it all
    pass by in a matter of hours.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  8. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:
    > Dave Cohen wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:30:16 -0600, Doc wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now, I'll admit my ignorance on some of these more esoteric security
    >>> issues, but I would appreciate some knowledgeable someone explaining
    >>> today's apparent weirdness with the update manager. A notification
    >>> informed me that three samba files needed updating, yet when I tried
    >>> to install the files, I got the following prompt:
    >>>
    >>> W: Failed to fetch
    >>> http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    >>>
    >>> 403 Forbidden
    >>>
    >>> Apparently there was some burp on the Canonical end. I would like to
    >>> know, however, just what's up.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    >> I get same thing. Don't know what it means so I thought I would post, but
    >> you beat me to it. I'm not sure what samba is but a look at man seems to
    >> indicate it is to do with networking. My machine is a standalone, so
    >> maybe
    >> that update doesn't apply. Problem is the update re-appears on each boot.
    >> Dave Cohen
    >>

    > Me too I have files related to samba that show:
    >
    > W: Failed to fetch
    > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    >
    > 403 Forbidden
    >

    > W: Failed to fetch
    > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    >
    > 403 Forbidden

    I was able to download all my updates and install them this morning
    Looks like yesterday's weirdness is gone

  9. Re: Update Manager Weirdness Today...

    Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:
    > Philip D. Czajkowski wrote:
    >> Dave Cohen wrote:

    >>> I get same thing. Don't know what it means so I thought I would post,
    >>> but
    >>> you beat me to it. I'm not sure what samba is but a look at man seems to
    >>> indicate it is to do with networking. My machine is a standalone, so
    >>> maybe
    >>> that update doesn't apply. Problem is the update re-appears on each
    >>> boot.
    >>> Dave Cohen
    >>>

    >> Me too I have files related to samba that show:
    >>
    >> W: Failed to fetch
    >> http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    >>
    >> 403 Forbidden
    >>

    >> W: Failed to fetch
    >> http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...tu2.1_i386.deb
    >>
    >> 403 Forbidden

    > I was able to download all my updates and install them this morning
    > Looks like yesterday's weirdness is gone

    just had:
    > W: Failed to fetch
    > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/s/samba/

    smbclient_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.4_i386.deb
    > 403 Forbidden
    > W: Failed to fetch
    > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...s/samba/samba-

    common_3.0.22-1ubuntu3.4_i386.deb
    > 403 Forbidden

    I used update manager.
    This time i not only clicked: install updates, but also: check.
    And install updates.
    Somehow it worked oke this time ...

    --

    Xubunt6

    "Xubuntu 6 - (bubbling around, sometimes ...)."
    Less gui, less icons, more speed ... (^-^)

+ Reply to Thread