Internet Speed - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Internet Speed - Ubuntu ; I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line test. I wonder why that is? Alias...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 538

  1. Internet Speed

    I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    test. I wonder why that is?

    Alias

  2. Re: Internet Speed

    Mr Nice wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:
    >
    >> I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    >> Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    >> test. I wonder why that is?
    >>
    >> Alias

    > Because XP uses your connection to send crap

    That was my first thought, the calling home **** but 2 megs?

    Alias

  3. Re: Internet Speed

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:

    > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    > test. I wonder why that is?
    >
    > Alias

    Because XP uses your connection to send crap

  4. Re: Internet Speed

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:
    > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    > test. I wonder why that is?

    Sounds like a question for a Micro$not news group.

    If I mis-remember correctly, M$ reserves a percentage of the
    connection for micro$not activities.

  5. Re: Internet Speed

    Alias wrote:

    > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    > test. I wonder why that is?
    >
    > Alias

    Because the Linux tcp stack is better put together than the Windoze tcp
    stack. This has been the case for years.

    Cheers.

    --
    Ubuntu 7.10 ... wow!
    http;//www.ubuntu.com

  6. Re: Internet Speed

    Alias wrote:
    > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    > test. I wonder why that is?

    I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection is
    superior.
    But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.
    Could it be one of the two uses a 'digital' counter and the other a
    'decimal' one?
    I mean as in 1MB is not equivalent to 1000KB but 1024KB.

    > Alias

  7. Re: Internet Speed

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    > Alias wrote:
    >> I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    >> Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    >> test. I wonder why that is?
    >>

    > I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection is
    > superior.
    > But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.

    Why not? Here's a test I ran a couple years ago. You can go and do your own
    testing.

    http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/w...g_linux_1.html

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  8. Re: Internet Speed

    Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >> I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    >> Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    >> test. I wonder why that is?
    >>

    > I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection is
    > superior.
    > But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.
    > Could it be one of the two uses a 'digital' counter and the other a
    > 'decimal' one?
    > I mean as in 1MB is not equivalent to 1000KB but 1024KB.
    >
    >> Alias

    Same computer. Same NIC. Same cable connection. I did the test about 50
    times on XP and Ubuntu. Ubuntu was/is *consistently* 2 megs faster for
    download. For upload, XP and Ubuntu tested the same speed.

    Alias

  9. Re: Internet Speed

    NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>> I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    >>> Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    >>> test. I wonder why that is?
    >>>

    >> I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection is
    >> superior.
    >> But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.

    > Why not? Here's a test I ran a couple years ago. You can go and do your own
    > testing.
    >
    > http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/w...g_linux_1.html

    Woooah....

    I've just done the test on a Vista Box
    It returned

    Download 199kbps
    Upload 357kbps

    And with Gutsy on the same wireless network with a slightly weaker
    signal....

    Download 353kbps
    Upload 356kbps

    Interesting? Well yes...

    BTW. I think The reason for the slow download is that the test server
    I used is in California and I'm in the UK.

    But...hell. It's a significant difference, isn't it?

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  10. Re: Internet Speed

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:

    > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    > test. I wonder why that is?
    >
    > Alias

    The reason, i believe is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

  11. Re: Internet Speed

    NoStop wrote:
    > Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:
    >
    >> Alias wrote:
    >>> I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    >>> Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    >>> test. I wonder why that is?
    >>>

    >> I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection is
    >> superior.
    >> But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.

    > Why not? Here's a test I ran a couple years ago. You can go and do your own
    > testing.
    >
    > http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/w...g_linux_1.html
    >
    > Cheers.

    My ISP provides a couple of special files for speed testing.
    IMO that is the only fair comparison for testing the speed of your ISP,
    something not using unknown parts of the network.

    See:
    ftp://ftp.xs4all.nl/pub/test/README

    I'd love to use them for comparison between XP and Linux but I'm
    presently in a remote location on a satellite link, the results would be
    rather dramatic

    As a matter of fact, because of the Corporate Proxy server that all
    communication passes through I only have port 80 and 443 available.
    Yet thanks to both Linux on my end and BSD on the end of my ISP a simple
    ssh tunnel to the ISP's root servers allows me to access both mail and
    news

  12. Re: Internet Speed

    NoStop wrote:

    > Because the Linux tcp stack is better put together than the Windoze tcp
    > stack. This has been the case for years.

    The "Windows" IP stack is the one Gates and Cutler stole from BSD in the
    early 90s. The idiots stole the broken version! Conspiracy theorists
    suggest that this was a deliberate ploy on the part of the Regents of
    Berkeley! MS no longer have staff who have any understanding of the
    "legacy code", so huge binary blobs like the broken IP stack remain in
    Windoze and are inviolate.

    C.

  13. Re: Internet Speed

    Moog wrote:
    > NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    >>> I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection is
    >>> superior.
    >>> But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.

    >> Why not? Here's a test I ran a couple years ago. You can go and do your own
    >> testing.
    >>
    >> http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/w...g_linux_1.html

    > Woooah....
    >
    > I've just done the test on a Vista Box
    > It returned
    >
    > Download 199kbps
    > Upload 357kbps
    >
    > And with Gutsy on the same wireless network with a slightly weaker
    > signal....
    >
    > Download 353kbps
    > Upload 356kbps
    >
    > Interesting? Well yes...
    >
    > BTW. I think The reason for the slow download is that the test server
    > I used is in California and I'm in the UK.
    >
    > But...hell. It's a significant difference, isn't it?

    Try this test from a Spanish server:

    http://www.internautas.org/testvelocidad/

    Alias

  14. Re: Internet Speed

    Moog wrote:

    > NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    >>> I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection is
    >>> superior.
    >>> But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.

    >> Why not? Here's a test I ran a couple years ago. You can go and do your
    >> own testing.

    http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/w...g_linux_1.html

    > Woooah....
    >
    > I've just done the test on a Vista Box
    > It returned
    >
    > Download 199kbps
    > Upload 357kbps
    >
    > And with Gutsy on the same wireless network with a slightly weaker
    > signal....
    >
    > Download 353kbps
    > Upload 356kbps
    >
    > Interesting? Well yes...
    >
    > BTW. I think The reason for the slow download is that the test server
    > I used is in California and I'm in the UK.
    >
    > But...hell. It's a significant difference, isn't it?

    Moog,

    Your test certainly does confirm similar results to my test of a couple
    years ago. My test was maybe a little more "scientific" in that it came
    from the same wired box as opposed to wireless which can introduce some
    additional disparities in the comparison process. The fact of the matter is
    that somehow Linux has figured out how to deliver faster Internet than
    Windoze can do, by a rather significant amount and continues to do so up to
    today. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  15. Re: Internet Speed

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:

    > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    > test. I wonder why that is?
    >
    > Alias

    Windows sucks?

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  16. Re: Internet Speed

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:13:51 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Dirk T. Verbeek wrote:

    >>> I am tempted to say the Linux way of setting up a network connection
    >>> is superior.
    >>> But I can't imagine such a large discrepancy.

    >> Why not? Here's a test I ran a couple years ago. You can go and do your
    >> own testing.
    >>
    >> http://www.w-3productions.com/cvcs/w...hives/2005/04/

    comparing_linux_1.html

    > Woooah....
    >
    > I've just done the test on a Vista Box It returned
    >
    > Download 199kbps
    > Upload 357kbps
    >
    > And with Gutsy on the same wireless network with a slightly weaker
    > signal....
    >
    > Download 353kbps
    > Upload 356kbps
    >
    > Interesting? Well yes...
    >
    > BTW. I think The reason for the slow download is that the test server I
    > used is in California and I'm in the UK.
    >
    > But...hell. It's a significant difference, isn't it?

    I usually use speedtest.net. Allows you to choose your closest
    location. I get 14526kbps down, 1836kbps up. Haven't tried it with
    Windows yet, and I am remotely connected right now, so I'll try to
    remember to do the test when I get home and see what the difference is...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  17. Re: Internet Speed

    Mr Nice wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:
    >
    > > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    > > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    > > test. I wonder why that is?
    > >
    > > Alias

    > Because XP uses your connection to send crap

    Pure nonsense.

    Graham

  18. Re: Internet Speed

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 05:00:29 +0000, Eeyore wrote:

    > Mr Nice wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:
    >>
    >> > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    >> > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    >> > test. I wonder why that is?
    >> >
    >> > Alias

    >> Because XP uses your connection to send crap

    > Pure nonsense.

    So, please explain to us why the M$ OS frequently gets about 20% lower
    throughput?

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  19. Re: Internet Speed

    Eeyore wrote:

    > Mr Nice wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:33:17 +0100, Alias wrote:
    >>
    >> > I consistently get 7 to 8 megs download with XP Pro and 8 to 10 with
    >> > Ubuntu Gutsy on the same machine (a dual boot) and the same on line
    >> > test. I wonder why that is?
    >> >
    >> > Alias

    >> Because XP uses your connection to send crap

    > Pure nonsense.

    You have a better explanation why Windows throughput is 25% to 45% lower
    than Linux?

    If it's not doing something else with the bandwidth then it flat out
    broken.

  20. Re: Internet Speed

    Alias illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    >> Woooah....
    >>
    >> I've just done the test on a Vista Box
    >> It returned
    >>
    >> Download 199kbps
    >> Upload 357kbps
    >>
    >> And with Gutsy on the same wireless network with a slightly weaker
    >> signal....
    >>
    >> Download 353kbps
    >> Upload 356kbps
    >>
    >> Interesting? Well yes...
    >>
    >> BTW. I think The reason for the slow download is that the test server
    >> I used is in California and I'm in the UK.
    >>
    >> But...hell. It's a significant difference, isn't it?
    >>

    > Try this test from a Spanish server:
    >
    > http://www.internautas.org/testvelocidad/

    OK....

    Windows Vista...