Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation? - Ubuntu ; How do I clear my hard disk of Kubuntu 7.04 before making a clean installation of Kubuntu 7.10? There seems to be a disk named G which does the job but I can not remember its full title. Advice welcomed. ...

  1. Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    How do I clear my hard disk of Kubuntu 7.04 before making a clean
    installation of Kubuntu 7.10?
    There seems to be a disk named G which does the job but I can not
    remember its full title.

    Advice welcomed.

    John

  2. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:22:04 +0000, john hansen wrote:

    > How do I clear my hard disk of Kubuntu 7.04 before making a clean
    > installation of Kubuntu 7.10?

    I could tell you several ways *how*, but first you'd have to satisfy my
    curiosity as to *why* you would need to do that? Is your 7.04 possessed
    by evil spirits?

  3. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:22:04 +0000, john hansen wrote:

    > How do I clear my hard disk of Kubuntu 7.04 before making a clean
    > installation of Kubuntu 7.10?

    You don't. You meerly install over it.

    > There seems to be a disk named G which does the job but I can not
    > remember its full title.
    >
    > Advice welcomed.
    >
    > John

  4. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:22:04 +0000, john hansen wrote:
    >
    >> How do I clear my hard disk of Kubuntu 7.04 before making a clean
    >> installation of Kubuntu 7.10?

    > I could tell you several ways *how*, but first you'd have to satisfy my
    > curiosity as to *why* you would need to do that? Is your 7.04 possessed
    > by evil spirits?

    Mark,

    I tried installing 7.10 previously but made a mess of it and then
    reinstalled 7.04 with further mess so the hard disk has several
    partitions which I would like to clear before making a clean
    installation of 7.10. Canonical have been kind enough to send me a CD
    with 7.10.

    7.04 is fine but I assume 7.10 is even better.

    John

  5. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:48:53 +0000, john hansen wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:22:04 +0000, john hansen wrote:
    >>
    >>> How do I clear my hard disk of Kubuntu 7.04 before making a clean
    >>> installation of Kubuntu 7.10?

    >> I could tell you several ways *how*, but first you'd have to satisfy my
    >> curiosity as to *why* you would need to do that? Is your 7.04 possessed
    >> by evil spirits?

    > I tried installing 7.10 previously but made a mess of it and then
    > reinstalled 7.04 with further mess so the hard disk has several
    > partitions which I would like to clear before making a clean
    > installation of 7.10.

    Then it's simple: when you get to the partitioning step in the installer,
    select the option to "use the whole disk" (or maybe it says "entire
    disk"?) and it will erase the exisiting partitions and create new ones as
    needed. Zero effort required, computer does the work for you, as it
    should.

    > Canonical have been kind enough to send me a CD
    > with 7.10.

    They are pretty generous like that. I got mine last week. Make sure you
    check the CD before trying to use it, one of the ones I received turned
    out to be bad, alas - first time that ever happened, and I've been
    receiving CDs from them since 5.04.

    > 7.04 is fine but I assume 7.10 is even better.

    In a few ways it is noticeably better, try it and see.

    Go well,
    Mark

  6. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:48:53 +0000, john hansen wrote:
    >
    >> Mark South wrote:

    >>> I could tell you several ways *how*, but first you'd have to satisfy my
    >>> curiosity as to *why* you would need to do that? Is your 7.04 possessed
    >>> by evil spirits?

    >> I tried installing 7.10 previously but made a mess of it and then
    >> reinstalled 7.04 with further mess so the hard disk has several
    >> partitions which I would like to clear before making a clean
    >> installation of 7.10.

    > Then it's simple: when you get to the partitioning step in the installer,
    > select the option to "use the whole disk" (or maybe it says "entire
    > disk"?) and it will erase the exisiting partitions and create new ones as
    > needed. Zero effort required, computer does the work for you, as it
    > should.
    >
    >> Canonical have been kind enough to send me a CD
    >> with 7.10.

    > They are pretty generous like that. I got mine last week. Make sure you
    > check the CD before trying to use it, one of the ones I received turned
    > out to be bad, alas - first time that ever happened, and I've been
    > receiving CDs from them since 5.04.
    >
    >> 7.04 is fine but I assume 7.10 is even better.

    > In a few ways it is noticeably better, try it and see.
    >
    > Go well,
    > Mark

    Mark,

    Thanks for helpful advice. I will try 7.10 this weekend.

    Cheers

    John

  7. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    john hansen wrote:
    > How do I clear my hard disk of Kubuntu 7.04 before making a clean
    > installation of Kubuntu 7.10?
    > There seems to be a disk named G which does the job but I can not
    > remember its full title.

    GParted LiveCD.

    But I wouldn't bother, just pretend it's a fresh install and go through
    the installers motions to set up the disk as you like it.

    > Advice welcomed.
    >
    > John

  8. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    John, why don't you just follow the instructions on

    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

    It worked fine for me EXCEPT my grub /root/grub/menu.lst file was
    overwritten with some generic babble that couldn't start my windoze
    installation.

    Well, real men don't backup - they cry!

    /Bjarne

  9. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    On 2007-11-16, Bjarne Jensen hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > John, why don't you just follow the instructions on
    >
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
    >
    > It worked fine for me EXCEPT my grub /root/grub/menu.lst file was
    > overwritten with some generic babble that couldn't start my windoze
    > installation.
    >
    > Well, real men don't backup - they cry!

    In that case just *CAREFULLY* very carefully read through
    /boot/grub/menu.lst. It will tell you how you get the other
    OS working again. And no I won't repeat what you can find in
    it, as it explains everything you need to know.

    > /Bjarne

    Dragomir Kollaric

  10. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    Dragomir Kollaric skrev:
    > In that case just *CAREFULLY* very carefully read through
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst. It will tell you how you get the other
    > OS working again. And no I won't repeat what you can find in
    > it, as it explains everything you need to know.

    I did. To no avail as my installation differed from the suggested. But
    good old fashioned trial-and-error did the job in the end.

    I just wanted to warn against destroying a working grub set-up as it is
    not always easy to fix.

    Enjoy!

    /Bjarne

  11. Re: Clean Kubuntu 7.10 installation?

    On 2007-11-16, Bjarne Jensen hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric skrev:
    >> In that case just *CAREFULLY* very carefully read through
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst. It will tell you how you get the other
    >> OS working again. And no I won't repeat what you can find in
    >> it, as it explains everything you need to know.

    > I did. To no avail as my installation differed from the suggested. But
    > good old fashioned trial-and-error did the job in the end.
    >
    > I just wanted to warn against destroying a working grub set-up as it is
    > not always easy to fix.

    I know, grub-update wiped out a very carefully log-in scheme I had set
    up. Since that time prior to "updating" it, I'll make a back-up copy of
    the working /boot/grub/menu.lst, just in case...

    > Enjoy!
    >
    > /Bjarne

    Dragomir Kollaric