broken ubuntu - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on broken ubuntu - Ubuntu ; I don't understand, Why? distro is broken, if you need nis or to access a file over smb, ubuntu fails. I thought this kind of stuff is meat and potatoes for a linux OS....

  1. broken ubuntu

    I don't understand, Why?
    distro is broken, if you need nis or to access a file over smb, ubuntu
    fails.
    I thought this kind of stuff is meat and potatoes for a linux OS.

  2. Re: broken ubuntu

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:17:50 -0500, Ted wrote:

    > I don't understand, Why?
    > distro is broken, if you need nis or to access a file over smb, ubuntu
    > fails.
    > I thought this kind of stuff is meat and potatoes for a linux OS.

    Calling yourself "Chief Shaka" and whining about imaginary problems is
    somewhat self defeating. Shaka was a real man, and he would have been
    able to get any Linux distro working with no problem.

    Although he would probably have preferred Slackware, I admit.

  3. Re: broken ubuntu

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:17:50 -0500, Ted wrote:

    > I don't understand, Why?
    > distro is broken, if you need nis or to access a file over smb, ubuntu
    > fails.

    Where I worked, the NIS server was Linux. And that always worked very well
    with all the desktops - Linux and MS.

    If you properly configure samba there should be no problem. See the samba
    howto at tldp.org or the full text of the samba O'Reilly book online at
    their web site. IMHO - the problem is MSs fault for using non-standard
    access methods. Linux plays with MS a hell of a lot better than the other
    way around.

    > I thought this kind of stuff is meat and potatoes for a linux OS.

  4. Re: broken ubuntu

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:17:50 -0500, Ted wrote:

    > I don't understand, Why?
    > distro is broken, if you need nis or to access a file over smb, ubuntu
    > fails.
    > I thought this kind of stuff is meat and potatoes for a linux OS.

    You might want to provide some information if you want help. Both of
    those work fine here...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com