screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver - Ubuntu ; Ever since I updated the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 I have been having screen problems. When I boot to Gnome the screen goes black, often before I have even entered my password, sometimes I actually get ...

  1. screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    Ever since I updated the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 I
    have been having screen problems. When I boot to Gnome the screen goes
    black, often before I have even entered my password, sometimes I actually
    get to the desktop before that happens. A ^alt backspace will get me to
    the log-in screen again. If I start up in Gnome safe mode (scripts turned
    off) all's right with the world. Am I right in guessing it is the updated
    driver that is causing this problem?

    I went into the logs and dug up the following:

    [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
    [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflict.

    Is this relevant? Obviously I am new to Ubuntu (started with Feisty,
    updated to Gutsy with few problems) and still have a lot to learn.
    Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions about how to resolve this problem.

    Mouse

  2. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    Mouse wrote:

    > Ever since I updated the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 I
    > have been having screen problems. When I boot to Gnome the screen goes
    > black, often before I have even entered my password, sometimes I actually
    > get to the desktop before that happens. A ^alt backspace will get me to
    > the log-in screen again. If I start up in Gnome safe mode (scripts turned
    > off) all's right with the world. Am I right in guessing it is the updated
    > driver that is causing this problem?
    >
    > I went into the logs and dug up the following:
    >
    > [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
    > [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflict.
    >
    > Is this relevant? Obviously I am new to Ubuntu (started with Feisty,
    > updated to Gutsy with few problems) and still have a lot to learn.
    > Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions about how to resolve this problem.
    >
    > Mouse

    Maybe your system has grabbed the proprietary driver? Here's a howto to
    install the open source driver. Might help you.

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  3. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 01:53:59 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Maybe your system has grabbed the proprietary driver? Here's a howto to
    > install the open source driver. Might help you.
    >
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    >
    > Cheers.

    Thanks for the pointer! I went to the restricted driver manager,
    uninstalled the proprietary ATI driver, restarted, and ... no problems.

    This is a great group, so far I've always received the help I needed here.

    Mouse

  4. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    Mouse wrote:
    > Ever since I updated the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 I
    > have been having screen problems. When I boot to Gnome the screen goes
    > black, often before I have even entered my password, sometimes I actually
    > get to the desktop before that happens. A ^alt backspace will get me to
    > the log-in screen again. If I start up in Gnome safe mode (scripts turned
    > off) all's right with the world. Am I right in guessing it is the updated
    > driver that is causing this problem?
    >
    > I went into the logs and dug up the following:
    >
    > [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
    > [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflict.
    >
    > Is this relevant? Obviously I am new to Ubuntu (started with Feisty,
    > updated to Gutsy with few problems) and still have a lot to learn.
    > Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions about how to resolve this problem.
    >
    > Mouse

    I had the same problem with my Acer laptop, which sports a Radeon 200M
    video chip. I had to fake out the system to believe I was running a
    Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP; then fglrx ran normally. It still doesn't
    handle Compiz/Beryl yet, but I'm working on it... Note: You'll also need
    to un-check the Accelerated Graphics driver in the restricted drivers
    file (still runs though), or you'll go back to black again... (sigh)
    Again, still working on it...

    Cheers;

    Ed

  5. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:40:37 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Mouse wrote:
    >> Ever since I updated the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 I
    >> have been having screen problems. When I boot to Gnome the screen goes
    >> black, often before I have even entered my password, sometimes I

    <<>>

    > I had the same problem with my Acer laptop, which sports a Radeon 200M
    > video chip. I had to fake out the system to believe I was running a
    > Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP; then fglrx ran normally. It still doesn't
    > handle Compiz/Beryl yet, but I'm working on it... Note: You'll also need
    > to un-check the Accelerated Graphics driver in the restricted drivers
    > file (still runs though), or you'll go back to black again... (sigh)
    > Again, still working on it...
    >
    > Cheers;
    >
    > Ed

    Misery loves company, lol. My problem is back. I thought I solved it by
    uninstalling fglrx and unchecking the accelerated graphics driver, but
    this morning the problem returned. I switched to failsafe gnome--no
    problem, switched to regular gnome--problem, switched to KDE--no problem.
    And open windows were beginning to act buggy--couldn't drag 'em or resize
    'em. So I turned accelerated graphics back on, reinstalled fglrx, and am
    in KDE right now--everything is working beautifully.

    I can't even speculate, at this point, what could be causing this
    behavior, except my debugging ignorance....

    Mouse

  6. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    Night0wl writes:

    > Mouse wrote:
    >> Ever since I updated the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon
    >> 9600 I have been having screen problems. When I boot to Gnome the
    >> screen goes black, often before I have even entered my password,
    >> sometimes I actually get to the desktop before that happens. A ^alt
    >> backspace will get me to the log-in screen again. If I start up in
    >> Gnome safe mode (scripts turned off) all's right with the world. Am
    >> I right in guessing it is the updated driver that is causing this
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> I went into the logs and dug up the following:
    >>
    >> [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
    >> [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflict.
    >>
    >> Is this relevant? Obviously I am new to Ubuntu (started with Feisty,
    >> updated to Gutsy with few problems) and still have a lot to learn.
    >> Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions about how to resolve this
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Mouse

    > I had the same problem with my Acer laptop, which sports a Radeon 200M
    > video chip. I had to fake out the system to believe I was running a
    > Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP; then fglrx ran normally. It still doesn't

    How did you do this? Fake the device string in the xorg.conf?

  7. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:11:51 +0000, Mouse wrote:

    > this morning the problem returned. I switched to failsafe gnome--no
    > problem, switched to regular gnome--problem, switched to KDE--no problem.
    > And open windows were beginning to act buggy--couldn't drag 'em or resize
    > 'em. So I turned accelerated graphics back on, reinstalled fglrx, and am
    > in KDE right now--everything is working beautifully.

    So the problem is associated with the window manager, is it? Have you
    tried changing your normal gnome session to use a different window
    manager, like openbox, say?

  8. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    Mouse wrote:

    > <<>>
    >> I had the same problem with my Acer laptop, which sports a Radeon 200M
    >> video chip. I had to fake out the system to believe I was running a
    >> Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP; then fglrx ran normally. It still doesn't
    >> handle Compiz/Beryl yet, but I'm working on it... Note: You'll also need
    >> to un-check the Accelerated Graphics driver in the restricted drivers
    >> file (still runs though), or you'll go back to black again... (sigh)
    >> Again, still working on it...
    >>
    >> Cheers;
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Misery loves company, lol. My problem is back. I thought I solved it by
    > uninstalling fglrx and unchecking the accelerated graphics driver, but
    > this morning the problem returned. I switched to failsafe gnome--no
    > problem, switched to regular gnome--problem, switched to KDE--no problem.
    > And open windows were beginning to act buggy--couldn't drag 'em or resize
    > 'em. So I turned accelerated graphics back on, reinstalled fglrx, and am
    > in KDE right now--everything is working beautifully.
    >
    > I can't even speculate, at this point, what could be causing this
    > behavior, except my debugging ignorance....
    >
    > Mouse

    I run fglrx w/o the AG checked and it runs fine under gnome, but, I
    think the major problem with both fglrx and Compiz is that they're more
    tuned for KDE. I haven't made that jump yet, but may soon, depending in
    what I see in here and in other LUGs.

    Cheers;

    Ed

  9. Re: screen cutting out after updating fglrx driver

    Hadron wrote:
    > Night0wl writes:
    >
    >> Mouse wrote:
    >>> Ever since I updated the fglrx driver for my ATI Mobility Radeon
    >>> 9600 I have been having screen problems. When I boot to Gnome the
    >>> screen goes black, often before I have even entered my password,
    >>> sometimes I actually get to the desktop before that happens. A ^alt
    >>> backspace will get me to the log-in screen again. If I start up in
    >>> Gnome safe mode (scripts turned off) all's right with the world. Am
    >>> I right in guessing it is the updated driver that is causing this
    >>> problem?
    >>>
    >>> I went into the logs and dug up the following:
    >>>
    >>> [fglrx] Internal AGP support requested, but kernel AGP support active.
    >>> [fglrx] Have to use kernel AGP support to avoid conflict.
    >>>
    >>> Is this relevant? Obviously I am new to Ubuntu (started with Feisty,
    >>> updated to Gutsy with few problems) and still have a lot to learn.
    >>> Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions about how to resolve this
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> Mouse

    >> I had the same problem with my Acer laptop, which sports a Radeon 200M
    >> video chip. I had to fake out the system to believe I was running a
    >> Radeon Xpress 1100 IGP; then fglrx ran normally. It still doesn't

    > How did you do this? Fake the device string in the xorg.conf?

    Yeppers. Isn't the best of worlds, but it works -- after a fashion...

    Cheers;

    Ed

+ Reply to Thread