Hang's Clock... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hang's Clock... - Ubuntu ; Night0wl wrote: > Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact > that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account for > one day, but not two... Maybe he should ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Night0wl wrote:
    > Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact
    > that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account for
    > one day, but not two... Maybe he should slow down and tend his own
    > system before going-off on us abut ours?
    >
    > My Clock: Thu Nov 15 18:08 CST
    > His Clock: 11/17/2007 05:04 PM (17:04)
    >
    > Cheers;
    >
    > Ed

    Some people just live fast. :0
    caver1

  2. Hang's Clock...

    Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact
    that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account for
    one day, but not two... Maybe he should slow down and tend his own
    system before going-off on us abut ours?

    My Clock: Thu Nov 15 18:08 CST
    His Clock: 11/17/2007 05:04 PM (17:04)

    Cheers;

    Ed

  3. Re: Hang's Clock...

    > Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine.

    Heavy night on the ale ?

  4. Re: Hang's Clock...

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:10:21 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact
    > that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account for
    > one day, but not two... Maybe he should slow down and tend his own
    > system before going-off on us abut ours?
    >
    > My Clock: Thu Nov 15 18:08 CST
    > His Clock: 11/17/2007 05:04 PM (17:04)
    >
    > Cheers;
    >
    > Ed

    Using M$ stuff does that

  5. Re: Hang's Clock...

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:10:21 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact
    > that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account for
    > one day, but not two... Maybe he should slow down and tend his own
    > system before going-off on us abut ours?
    >
    > My Clock: Thu Nov 15 18:08 CST
    > His Clock: 11/17/2007 05:04 PM (17:04)
    >
    > Cheers;
    >
    > Ed

    Maybe for the same reasons why ever since the 1 hour time change windows
    no longer gets the time correct on this system but Ubuntu does?

    Come to think of it, starting today, windows can't even get an internet
    connection anymore but seeing how I'm now posting this on the exact same
    computer via Ubuntu...I think my internet connection is fine!

    Gotta "love" MS crap!

    Now will please SOMEONE give me a version of Solidworks for Linux? *sigh*

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  6. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:10:21 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >
    >> Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact
    >> that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account for
    >> one day, but not two... Maybe he should slow down and tend his own
    >> system before going-off on us abut ours?
    >>
    >> My Clock: Thu Nov 15 18:08 CST
    >> His Clock: 11/17/2007 05:04 PM (17:04)
    >>
    >> Cheers;
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Maybe for the same reasons why ever since the 1 hour time change windows
    > no longer gets the time correct on this system but Ubuntu does?
    >
    > Come to think of it, starting today, windows can't even get an internet
    > connection anymore but seeing how I'm now posting this on the exact same
    > computer via Ubuntu...I think my internet connection is fine!
    >
    > Gotta "love" MS crap!
    >
    > Now will please SOMEONE give me a version of Solidworks for Linux?
    > *sigh*

    You see the problem is the word "give" : start a petition for a Linux
    port and assure them of at least 10000 sales and I bet they would
    provide such a version :-;

    I am sure that any development company worth their salt would sure as
    hell be using cross platform APIs at this stage just in case Linux
    really does start infiltrating the professional desktop marketplace.

    --
    Golfinhos dormem com um olho aberto.

  7. Re: Hang's Clock...

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:28:12 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Stephan Rose writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:10:21 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >>
    >>> Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact
    >>> that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account
    >>> for one day, but not two... Maybe he should slow down and tend his
    >>> own system before going-off on us abut ours?
    >>>
    >>> My Clock: Thu Nov 15 18:08 CST
    >>> His Clock: 11/17/2007 05:04 PM (17:04)
    >>>
    >>> Cheers;
    >>>
    >>> Ed

    >> Maybe for the same reasons why ever since the 1 hour time change
    >> windows no longer gets the time correct on this system but Ubuntu does?
    >>
    >> Come to think of it, starting today, windows can't even get an internet
    >> connection anymore but seeing how I'm now posting this on the exact
    >> same computer via Ubuntu...I think my internet connection is fine!
    >>
    >> Gotta "love" MS crap!
    >>
    >> Now will please SOMEONE give me a version of Solidworks for Linux?
    >> *sigh*

    > You see the problem is the word "give" : start a petition for a Linux
    > port and assure them of at least 10000 sales and I bet they would
    > provide such a version :-;

    Well I can't assure them of at least 10k sales, but I *can* assure them
    of my sale. And actually, I know I'm not the only one who would like a
    Solidworks version for Linux. But it seems to fall on deaf ears with that
    company so far.

    > I am sure that any development company worth their salt would sure as
    > hell be using cross platform APIs at this stage just in case Linux
    > really does start infiltrating the professional desktop marketplace.

    Which coincidentally happens to be what I'm doing. =)

    And you know what, it seems a lot more companies are finally providing
    Linux solutions.

    I don't recall there being a real player client back in the beginning
    this year for Linux. Sure, there was real player support via w32codecs
    and mplayer, but not actual real player client (at least not that I was
    aware of or was able to find). But there is now, officially.

    And, just the other day, I nearly fell over in shock. EVE-Online, a game
    I used to play quite a bit, now has a Linux client. And I'm talking an
    officially supported client complete with installers for all the major
    distribution flavors out there. They apparently integrated their client
    with the Cedega engine to do this from what I can gather. But I wouldn't
    be surprised if they've already gone through this much trouble that they
    might come out with a fully native client in the future.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  8. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:28:12 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose writes:

    >>> Maybe for the same reasons why ever since the 1 hour time change
    >>> windows no longer gets the time correct on this system but Ubuntu does?
    >>>
    >>> Come to think of it, starting today, windows can't even get an internet
    >>> connection anymore but seeing how I'm now posting this on the exact
    >>> same computer via Ubuntu...I think my internet connection is fine!
    >>>
    >>> Gotta "love" MS crap!
    >>>
    >>> Now will please SOMEONE give me a version of Solidworks for Linux?
    >>> *sigh*

    >> You see the problem is the word "give" : start a petition for a Linux
    >> port and assure them of at least 10000 sales and I bet they would
    >> provide such a version :-;

    > Well I can't assure them of at least 10k sales, but I *can* assure them
    > of my sale. And actually, I know I'm not the only one who would like a
    > Solidworks version for Linux. But it seems to fall on deaf ears with that
    > company so far.

    Not enough potential market probably to justify the cost. Such a port is
    very, very time consuming in the real world. I've done similar and the
    amount of things which the port revealed as bugs/luck was amazing.

    >> I am sure that any development company worth their salt would sure as
    >> hell be using cross platform APIs at this stage just in case Linux
    >> really does start infiltrating the professional desktop marketplace.

    > Which coincidentally happens to be what I'm doing. =)
    >
    > And you know what, it seems a lot more companies are finally providing
    > Linux solutions.
    >
    > I don't recall there being a real player client back in the beginning
    > this year for Linux. Sure, there was real player support via w32codecs
    > and mplayer, but not actual real player client (at least not that I was
    > aware of or was able to find). But there is now, officially.

    There was I'm sure. Anyone?

    > And, just the other day, I nearly fell over in shock. EVE-Online, a game
    > I used to play quite a bit, now has a Linux client. And I'm talking an
    > officially supported client complete with installers for all the major
    > distribution flavors out there. They apparently integrated their client
    > with the Cedega engine to do this from what I can gather. But I wouldn't
    > be surprised if they've already gone through this much trouble that they
    > might come out with a fully native client in the future.

    No - to make it work with CEDEGA they just tinker with their Win/Dx
    calls to be CEDEGA compliant. There is a big difference between that and
    porting all Win calls to OpenGL :-; it would be nice (well not for me as
    Eve bored me to tears) ...

    --
    Cuanto más original es un descubrimiento, más obvio parece después.
    -- Arthur Koestler.

  9. Re: Hang's Clock...

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:08:38 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Stephan Rose writes:

    >>> You see the problem is the word "give" : start a petition for a Linux
    >>> port and assure them of at least 10000 sales and I bet they would
    >>> provide such a version :-;

    >> Well I can't assure them of at least 10k sales, but I *can* assure them
    >> of my sale. And actually, I know I'm not the only one who would like a
    >> Solidworks version for Linux. But it seems to fall on deaf ears with
    >> that company so far.

    > Not enough potential market probably to justify the cost. Such a port is
    > very, very time consuming in the real world. I've done similar and the
    > amount of things which the port revealed as bugs/luck was amazing.
    >

    >>> I am sure that any development company worth their salt would sure as
    >>> hell be using cross platform APIs at this stage just in case Linux
    >>> really does start infiltrating the professional desktop marketplace.

    >> Which coincidentally happens to be what I'm doing. =)
    >>
    >> And you know what, it seems a lot more companies are finally providing
    >> Linux solutions.
    >>
    >> I don't recall there being a real player client back in the beginning
    >> this year for Linux. Sure, there was real player support via w32codecs
    >> and mplayer, but not actual real player client (at least not that I was
    >> aware of or was able to find). But there is now, officially.

    > There was I'm sure. Anyone?
    >

    >> And, just the other day, I nearly fell over in shock. EVE-Online, a
    >> game I used to play quite a bit, now has a Linux client. And I'm
    >> talking an officially supported client complete with installers for all
    >> the major distribution flavors out there. They apparently integrated
    >> their client with the Cedega engine to do this from what I can gather.
    >> But I wouldn't be surprised if they've already gone through this much
    >> trouble that they might come out with a fully native client in the
    >> future.

    > No - to make it work with CEDEGA they just tinker with their Win/Dx
    > calls to be CEDEGA compliant. There is a big difference between that and
    > porting all Win calls to OpenGL :-; it would be nice (well not for me as
    > Eve bored me to tears) ...

    Point is, since you seemed to have completely missed it as usual, that
    you can go to their frigging website, click "download" for linux, and get
    a WORKING LINUX CLIENT. The cedega parts of it are all handled
    automatically by their installer. So you as a user just download and
    play. Get it now?

    Really, how they implemented it doesn't matter so much. It actually makes
    sense for them to use Cedega as it allows them to see if it would be
    worth it to really do a linux port before actually doing one. Makes
    perfect sense to me.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  10. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Stephan Rose writes:

    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 14:08:38 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Stephan Rose writes:

    >>> Well I can't assure them of at least 10k sales, but I *can* assure them
    >>> of my sale. And actually, I know I'm not the only one who would like a
    >>> Solidworks version for Linux. But it seems to fall on deaf ears with
    >>> that company so far.

    >> Not enough potential market probably to justify the cost. Such a port is
    >> very, very time consuming in the real world. I've done similar and the
    >> amount of things which the port revealed as bugs/luck was amazing.

    >>> Which coincidentally happens to be what I'm doing. =)
    >>>
    >>> And you know what, it seems a lot more companies are finally providing
    >>> Linux solutions.
    >>>
    >>> I don't recall there being a real player client back in the beginning
    >>> this year for Linux. Sure, there was real player support via w32codecs
    >>> and mplayer, but not actual real player client (at least not that I was
    >>> aware of or was able to find). But there is now, officially.

    >> There was I'm sure. Anyone?
    >>

    >>> And, just the other day, I nearly fell over in shock. EVE-Online, a
    >>> game I used to play quite a bit, now has a Linux client. And I'm
    >>> talking an officially supported client complete with installers for all
    >>> the major distribution flavors out there. They apparently integrated
    >>> their client with the Cedega engine to do this from what I can gather.
    >>> But I wouldn't be surprised if they've already gone through this much
    >>> trouble that they might come out with a fully native client in the
    >>> future.

    >> No - to make it work with CEDEGA they just tinker with their Win/Dx
    >> calls to be CEDEGA compliant. There is a big difference between that and
    >> porting all Win calls to OpenGL :-; it would be nice (well not for me as
    >> Eve bored me to tears) ...

    > Point is, since you seemed to have completely missed it as usual, that

    Erm, I didn't miss it at all. Please read below ....

    > you can go to their frigging website, click "download" for linux, and get
    > a WORKING LINUX CLIENT. The cedega parts of it are all handled
    > automatically by their installer. So you as a user just download and
    > play. Get it now?

    Yes. As I said, they just tinker their win/dx calls to be cedega
    compliant. Which bit don't you understand and makes you so aggressive?
    The bit where I suggested that this is significantly easier than a port
    to OGL? Which you alluded to when you continued with this ....

    ,----
    `----

    > Really, how they implemented it doesn't matter so much. It actually makes
    > sense for them to use Cedega as it allows them to see if it would be
    > worth it to really do a linux port before actually doing one. Makes
    > perfect sense to me.

    err, I agree. But it was you who said they might come out with a fully
    native client. I was merely pointing out that the work thy have done to
    make it CEDEGA compliant has little to do with a native client since
    it's all still Win/DirectX calls in the code base.

    --
    Q: What looks like a cat, flies like a bat, brays like a donkey, and
    plays like a monkey?

  11. Re: Hang's Clock...

    On 2007-11-16, Stephan Rose hit the keyboard and wrote:

    > And you know what, it seems a lot more companies are
    > finally providing Linux solutions.

    On my fist PC (a laptop) I used a SW called Ami-Pro which
    was later renamed into "Word-Pro". It was a office-suit from
    Lotus. Now all these years I have been waiting for a SW that
    could read these files in Linux. I had 3 reasons to keep a
    Win98 installation on one of my PC. One was if I ever wanted
    to read some of the stuff I wrote using Ami or Word Pro.

    Now IBM just released a SW called "Symphony" which can read
    these *.wlp files and glory be with a Linux variant.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-11-16, Stephan Rose hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >

    >> And you know what, it seems a lot more companies are
    >> finally providing Linux solutions.

    > On my fist PC (a laptop) I used a SW called Ami-Pro which
    > was later renamed into "Word-Pro". It was a office-suit from
    > Lotus. Now all these years I have been waiting for a SW that
    > could read these files in Linux. I had 3 reasons to keep a
    > Win98 installation on one of my PC. One was if I ever wanted
    > to read some of the stuff I wrote using Ami or Word Pro.
    >
    > Now IBM just released a SW called "Symphony" which can read
    > these *.wlp files and glory be with a Linux variant.

    KWord can read AMI-Pro files
    --
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
    To mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it.

  13. Re: Hang's Clock...

    On 2007-11-16, Peter Köhlmann hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-11-16, Stephan Rose hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>

    >>> And you know what, it seems a lot more companies are
    >>> finally providing Linux solutions.

    >> On my fist PC (a laptop) I used a SW called Ami-Pro which
    >> was later renamed into "Word-Pro". It was a office-suit from
    >> Lotus. Now all these years I have been waiting for a SW that
    >> could read these files in Linux. I had 3 reasons to keep a
    >> Win98 installation on one of my PC. One was if I ever wanted
    >> to read some of the stuff I wrote using Ami or Word Pro.
    >>
    >> Now IBM just released a SW called "Symphony" which can read
    >> these *.wlp files and glory be with a Linux variant.
    >>

    > KWord can read AMI-Pro files

    Well, then on my main-PC I'll install it.

    Two down and one more to go, and then I wouldn't need Win98
    at all. The scanner I'm using has this really old cable
    (looks like the cable for a parallel printer) and the card
    seems still to be for a ISA slot...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  14. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2007-11-16, Peter Khlmann hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2007-11-16, Stephan Rose hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>>

    > Two down and one more to go, and then I wouldn't need Win98
    > at all. The scanner I'm using has this really old cable
    > (looks like the cable for a parallel printer) and the card
    > seems still to be for a ISA slot...

    What is the brand and model number of the scanner?

  15. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > On 2007-11-16, Peter Köhlmann hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    >>> On my fist PC (a laptop) I used a SW called Ami-Pro which
    >>> was later renamed into "Word-Pro". It was a office-suit from
    >>> Lotus. Now all these years I have been waiting for a SW that
    >>> could read these files in Linux. I had 3 reasons to keep a
    >>> Win98 installation on one of my PC. One was if I ever wanted
    >>> to read some of the stuff I wrote using Ami or Word Pro.
    >>>
    >>> Now IBM just released a SW called "Symphony" which can read
    >>> these *.wlp files and glory be with a Linux variant.
    >>>

    >> KWord can read AMI-Pro files

    > Well, then on my main-PC I'll install it.
    >
    > Two down and one more to go, and then I wouldn't need Win98
    > at all. The scanner I'm using has this really old cable
    > (looks like the cable for a parallel printer) and the card
    > seems still to be for a ISA slot...
    >
    > Dragomir Kollaric

    Sounds like a SCSI card and cable. :-)

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  16. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Stephan Rose wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:10:21 -0700, Night0wl wrote:
    >
    >> Why is HangEvery's clock not one but TWO days ahead of mine. The fact
    >> that he's somewhere in Europe while I'm in central US might account for
    >> one day, but not two... Maybe he should slow down and tend his own
    >> system before going-off on us abut ours?
    >>
    >> My Clock: Thu Nov 15 18:08 CST
    >> His Clock: 11/17/2007 05:04 PM (17:04)
    >>
    >> Cheers;
    >>
    >> Ed

    > Maybe for the same reasons why ever since the 1 hour time change windows
    > no longer gets the time correct on this system but Ubuntu does?

    Which version of Windoze are you using? My W2K server and the XP side
    of my laptop both have the correct date and time. I was suggesting that
    he might want to look at his system clock, and/or his CMOS battery...

    > Come to think of it, starting today, windows can't even get an internet
    > connection anymore but seeing how I'm now posting this on the exact same
    > computer via Ubuntu...I think my internet connection is fine!

    You must be using Vista. Still needs a LOT of help, doesn't it?

    > Gotta "love" MS crap!

    M$ ??

    > Now will please SOMEONE give me a version of Solidworks for Linux? *sigh*

    And, if I only knew what that was...

    Cheers;

    Ed

  17. RealPlayer for Linux?

    Hadron wrote:

    >> I don't recall there being a real player client back in the beginning
    >> this year for Linux. Sure, there was real player support via w32codecs
    >> and mplayer, but not actual real player client (at least not that I was
    >> aware of or was able to find). But there is now, officially.

    There is?! Where? How do I find it? With all the functionality of the
    Windoze version of RealPlayer10Gold??

    I've seen what passes for a RealPlayer in Linux, and what I've seen has
    less functionality than RP4, which sold or installed in the mid-late
    '90s, and Helix Player doesn't seem to be that much better.

    If you know of a better one, I'm all eyes and ears!

    Cheers;

    Ed

  18. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    Night0wl wrote:

    > I've seen what passes for a RealPlayer in Linux, and what I've seen
    > has less functionality than RP4, which sold or installed in the
    > mid-late '90s, and Helix Player doesn't seem to be that much better.

    We should clarify what we are discussing. If you access the RealPlayer
    website with a linux system and not a win one, Real offers you either
    realplayer10gold.rpm or realplayergold.bin

    If you look around for a .deb, you can find one at
    http://mikesplanet.net/feisty/realplay/realplay_1
    0.0.8-0ubuntu3_i386.deb

    I don't have my Ub 7.10 configured to use CNR, but CNR has RealPlayer 10
    and my Freespire2 has realplayer 10.0.8

    > If you know of a better one, I'm all eyes and ears!

    You didn't say what realplayer installation you are using or comparing.

    --
    Mike Easter

  19. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:44:00 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    >>> I don't recall there being a real player client back in the beginning
    >>> this year for Linux. Sure, there was real player support via w32codecs
    >>> and mplayer, but not actual real player client (at least not that I
    >>> was aware of or was able to find). But there is now, officially.

    > There is?! Where? How do I find it? With all the functionality of the
    > Windoze version of RealPlayer10Gold??
    >
    > I've seen what passes for a RealPlayer in Linux, and what I've seen has
    > less functionality than RP4, which sold or installed in the mid-late
    > '90s, and Helix Player doesn't seem to be that much better.
    >
    > If you know of a better one, I'm all eyes and ears!

    If it's anything like any of the Windows versions, I'd keep it the hell
    away from my machines... Real's software was horribly bloated and
    resource hungry, and it was damned near impossible to remove for quite a
    while...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  20. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Night0wl wrote:
    >
    >> I've seen what passes for a RealPlayer in Linux, and what I've seen
    >> has less functionality than RP4, which sold or installed in the
    >> mid-late '90s, and Helix Player doesn't seem to be that much better.

    > We should clarify what we are discussing. If you access the RealPlayer
    > website with a linux system and not a win one, Real offers you either
    > realplayer10gold.rpm or realplayergold.bin
    >
    > If you look around for a .deb, you can find one at
    > http://mikesplanet.net/feisty/realplay/realplay_1
    > 0.0.8-0ubuntu3_i386.deb

    I followed the link and got 404 Page Not Found. I went to his home page
    and followed 2 more links on the topic and got the same response. Any
    more suggestions?

    > I don't have my Ub 7.10 configured to use CNR, but CNR has RealPlayer 10
    > and my Freespire2 has realplayer 10.0.8

    CNR isn't yet ready for Ubu 7.10. I've been in chats with Doc for a
    week on that...

    >> If you know of a better one, I'm all eyes and ears!

    > You didn't say what realplayer installation you are using or comparing.

    RealPlayer10Gold for Windoze v. RealPlayer10Gold for linux. In the
    latter, I don't see all the Real home page goodies, just a media player,
    and a rather poor one at that. That's why I was asking about a newer
    version closer to the current Windoze variety...

    Cheers;

    Ed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast