Hang's Clock... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Hang's Clock... - Ubuntu ; Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing: > > RealPlayer10Gold for Windoze v. RealPlayer10Gold for linux. In the > latter, I don't see all the Real home page goodies, just a media player, > and a rather poor one at that. That's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Hang's Clock...

  1. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > RealPlayer10Gold for Windoze v. RealPlayer10Gold for linux. In the
    > latter, I don't see all the Real home page goodies, just a media player,
    > and a rather poor one at that. That's why I was asking about a newer
    > version closer to the current Windoze variety...


    I'm echoing others views here, but I completely removed all traces of
    real plaey from my system. It's horrible and unneccesary.

    I can handle all the files open by realplayer in other programs
    anyway.

    If you really want to install it, download it from real.com do the
    chmod+X thing on the download then run the file preceeded by a "sh" at
    the command line.

    It installs fine, but is ultimately pointless.

    --
    Moog

    "Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the
    leather straps."

  2. Re: Hang's Clock...

    On 2007-11-16, marioneta del calcetÃ*n hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> On 2007-11-16, Peter Köhlmann hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>> Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 2007-11-16, Stephan Rose hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>

    >
    >>
    >> Two down and one more to go, and then I wouldn't need Win98
    >> at all. The scanner I'm using has this really old cable
    >> (looks like the cable for a parallel printer) and the card
    >> seems still to be for a ISA slot...
    >>

    >
    > What is the brand and model number of the scanner?


    It is a Microtek ScanMaker 330. I think the card is the
    problem, as in my newer PC there will not be any ISA-slots.
    I do have a SCSI card, but the connector on it is a lot
    smaller then then one used on the Scanner. I haven't looked
    if there are some adapters or not...

    This PII I'm using right now still has some ISA slots, but
    it seems I have to tweak the ISA-PNP, but for that I not
    going to take the time. As I really seldom need to use the
    scanner, and for that case I'll just fire up win98.

    Dragomir Kollaric
    --
    This signature is licensed under the GPL and may be
    freely distributed as long as a copy of the GPL is included... :-)

  3. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    Night0wl wrote:

    > I followed the link and got 404 Page Not Found. I went to his home
    > page and followed 2 more links on the topic and got the same
    > response. Any more suggestions?


    You're right. I usually test a file dl before I post it, but I didn't
    on this occasion and your experience is confirmed in the forums
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-421762.html

    Here's a newer Nov 6 - 10.0.9 .deb from canonical, and it is there, I
    checked it

    http://archive.canonical.com/pool/pa...isty1_i386.deb

    That site also has different versions for dapper and edgy. I don't see
    a gutsy v. and I don't see one in the gutsy repos.


    --
    Mike Easter


  4. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:44:00 -0700, Night0wl wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >>>>>>SNIP!<<<<<<<<<
    >>> I don't recall there being a real player client back in the beginning
    >>> this year for Linux. Sure, there was real player support via w32codecs
    >>> and mplayer, but not actual real player client (at least not that I was
    >>> aware of or was able to find). But there is now, officially.

    >>

    > There is?! Where? How do I find it? With all the functionality of the
    > Windoze version of RealPlayer10Gold??


    I'd want a guarantee that it performs all the same spyware functions as
    well ;-)

  5. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    Night0wl wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Night0wl wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've seen what passes for a RealPlayer in Linux, and what I've seen
    >>> has less functionality than RP4, which sold or installed in the
    >>> mid-late '90s, and Helix Player doesn't seem to be that much better.

    >>
    >> We should clarify what we are discussing. If you access the RealPlayer
    >> website with a linux system and not a win one, Real offers you either
    >> realplayer10gold.rpm or realplayergold.bin
    >>
    >> If you look around for a .deb, you can find one at
    >> http://mikesplanet.net/feisty/realplay/realplay_1
    >> 0.0.8-0ubuntu3_i386.deb

    >
    > I followed the link and got 404 Page Not Found. I went to his home page
    > and followed 2 more links on the topic and got the same response. Any
    > more suggestions?
    >>
    >> I don't have my Ub 7.10 configured to use CNR, but CNR has RealPlayer 10
    >> and my Freespire2 has realplayer 10.0.8

    >
    > CNR isn't yet ready for Ubu 7.10. I've been in chats with Doc for a
    > week on that...
    >>
    >>> If you know of a better one, I'm all eyes and ears!

    >>
    >> You didn't say what realplayer installation you are using or comparing.

    >
    > RealPlayer10Gold for Windoze v. RealPlayer10Gold for linux. In the
    > latter, I don't see all the Real home page goodies, just a media player,
    > and a rather poor one at that. That's why I was asking about a newer
    > version closer to the current Windoze variety...
    >
    > Cheers;
    >
    > Ed
    >
    >




    With all the crap that RealPlayer does with a win
    system it makes me wonder why a Linux user would
    want it?
    caver1

  6. Re: Hang's Clock...

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > On 2007-11-16, marioneta del calcetín hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >>> On 2007-11-16, Peter Köhlmann hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>>> Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 2007-11-16, Stephan Rose hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>> Two down and one more to go, and then I wouldn't need Win98 at
    >>> all. The scanner I'm using has this really old cable (looks
    >>> like the cable for a parallel printer) and the card seems still
    >>> to be for a ISA slot...
    >>>

    >> What is the brand and model number of the scanner?

    >
    > It is a Microtek ScanMaker 330. I think the card is the problem,
    > as in my newer PC there will not be any ISA-slots. I do have a
    > SCSI card, but the connector on it is a lot smaller then then one
    > used on the Scanner. I haven't looked if there are some adapters or
    > not...
    >
    > This PII I'm using right now still has some ISA slots, but it seems
    > I have to tweak the ISA-PNP, but for that I not going to take the
    > time. As I really seldom need to use the scanner, and for that case
    > I'll just fire up win98.
    >
    > Dragomir Kollaric


    Thanks for your reply, but sorry, I can't help with that.

    Despite initially unusable (in Ubuntu) sound, tv card, scanner, and
    printer, I now only keep a windows drive active for unforeseen
    difficulties. That gives this ancient tyro a feeling Toyota can't even
    dream about.

  7. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:44:00 -0700, Night0wl
    wrote:

    >I've seen what passes for a RealPlayer in Linux, and what I've seen has
    >less functionality than RP4, which sold or installed in the mid-late
    >'90s, and Helix Player doesn't seem to be that much better.
    >
    >If you know of a better one, I'm all eyes and ears!


    I use the RealPlayer constantly for listening to streams as I'm doing
    right now. I can't live without the "PerfectPlay" feature where the
    ongoing stream is stored in a running cache for up to several hours.
    If someone knows of another player that does that, please let me know.

    The stripped down player was a real showstopper for me trying to
    switch to Linux. However, the dedicated volunteer developers have
    added some of the missing features to the Linux version!

    I periodically download the "Nightly Build" from
    http://forms.helixcommunity.org/heli...alplay-current
    and install it. It also has some other "new" features besides the
    PerfectPlay.

    While Real's Windows product may be bloated and obnoxious in several
    ways, the company has at least encouraged open source developers to
    create versions for less popular OS's.

  8. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    Moog wrote:
    > Night0wl illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> <...>
    >> RealPlayer10Gold for Windoze v. RealPlayer10Gold for linux. In the
    >> latter, I don't see all the Real home page goodies, just a media player,
    >> and a rather poor one at that. That's why I was asking about a newer
    >> version closer to the current Windoze variety...

    >
    > I'm echoing others views here, but I completely removed all traces of
    > real plaey from my system. It's horrible and unneccesary.
    >
    > I can handle all the files open by realplayer in other programs
    > anyway.
    >
    > If you really want to install it, download it from real.com do the
    > chmod+X thing on the download then run the file preceeded by a "sh" at
    > the command line.
    >
    > It installs fine, but is ultimately pointless.
    >


    For the most part, I agree with you. RP in and of itself is a waste.
    However, I do miss my RealArcade. I was a paid subscriber there until I
    switched to Ubu, and left them when told they had no plans to produce a
    fully Linux capable offering.

    Cheers;

    Ed

  9. Re: RealPlayer for Linux?

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Night0wl wrote:
    >
    >> I followed the link and got 404 Page Not Found. I went to his home
    >> page and followed 2 more links on the topic and got the same
    >> response. Any more suggestions?

    >
    > You're right. I usually test a file dl before I post it, but I didn't
    > on this occasion and your experience is confirmed in the forums
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-421762.html
    >
    > Here's a newer Nov 6 - 10.0.9 .deb from canonical, and it is there, I
    > checked it
    >
    > http://archive.canonical.com/pool/pa...isty1_i386.deb
    >
    > That site also has different versions for dapper and edgy. I don't see
    > a gutsy v. and I don't see one in the gutsy repos.
    >

    Thank you for the link. It worked, and RP/Helix installed.

    That being said, it still seems a POS without even the capabilities of
    v4-6 in the '90s. Further, for help, it opens a Konqueror browser. I'm
    using Gnome, and my primary browser is Firefox. How's that possible?
    But that's also beside the point. RP still has some ways to go before
    its ready for the Linux world.

    Cheers;

    Ed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2