where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd? - Ubuntu ; How do I make my own bootable ubuntu 7.10 live CD, if that's possible? I downloaded an 712MB installer ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso but I don't know what to do with the iso file to make the cd bootable: win2k doesn't know how ...

  1. where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd?

    How do I make my own bootable ubuntu 7.10 live CD, if that's possible?

    I downloaded an 712MB installer ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso but I
    don't know what to do with the iso file to make the cd bootable: win2k
    doesn't know how to handle an iso file and neither do I!

    TIA,
    Mike

  2. Re: where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd?

    Mike Scirocco wrote:
    > How do I make my own bootable ubuntu 7.10 live CD, if that's possible?
    >
    > I downloaded an 712MB installer ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso but I
    > don't know what to do with the iso file to make the cd bootable: win2k
    > doesn't know how to handle an iso file and neither do I!
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mike

    You need to use a program like Nero to burn the image to a CD. If you
    don't know how to do that, why don't you just order the CD from Ubuntu
    and they will mail it to you?

    Alias

  3. Re: where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd?

    Mike Scirocco wrote:
    > How do I make my own bootable ubuntu 7.10 live CD, if that's possible?

    You make sure you have the proper version for your hardware, you check
    the md5 of the .iso, you have a CD burner, you get some free CD burner
    software and you burn the iso to the CD.

    > I downloaded an 712MB installer ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso

    This page has some 7.10 iso/s on it http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/
    including the one you have already dl/ed. That page also has the md5
    here http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/MD5SUMS and a link to help with
    burning here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto and how
    to md5 sum here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

    Those guides talk about InfraRecorder and isorecorder for burning and
    winmd5sum, but I last used BurnCDCC because it is tiny and needs no
    install and I like HashCalc for md5 because it can do so many things.

    > but I
    > don't know what to do with the iso file to make the cd bootable: win2k
    > doesn't know how to handle an iso file and neither do I!

    The first link I pasted above for the download has links to the other
    links

    --
    Mike Easter

  4. Re: where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd?

    Mike Scirocco wrote:
    > How do I make my own bootable ubuntu 7.10 live CD, if that's possible?
    >
    > I downloaded an 712MB installer ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso but I
    > don't know what to do with the iso file to make the cd bootable: win2k
    > doesn't know how to handle an iso file and neither do I!

    Using your burning software, burn the ISO *as* *an* *IMAGE*. You do
    /not/ burn it as one big data file with an .iso extension.

    That got me too, back in the day.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5

  5. Re: where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd?

    Mike Scirocco wrote:
    > How do I make my own bootable ubuntu 7.10 live CD, if that's possible?
    >
    > I downloaded an 712MB installer ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso but I
    > don't know what to do with the iso file to make the cd bootable: win2k
    > doesn't know how to handle an iso file and neither do I!

    To burn the .iso correctly to disc, I'd download and install the
    excellent and free ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/ , direct
    download link is http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.3.2.0.exe

    The 5 step process to burn the .iso correctly to CD with it is:

    1. Load ImgBurn.
    2. Switch to 'Write' mode (initial default setting).
    3. Insert Disc in Burner.
    4. Select Image to burn (your .iso file).
    5. Click 'Write' button.

    --
    [ste]

  6. Re: where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd?

    [ste parker] wrote:
    > Mike Scirocco wrote:
    >> How do I make my own bootable ubuntu 7.10 live CD, if that's possible?
    >>
    >> I downloaded an 712MB installer ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso but I
    >> don't know what to do with the iso file to make the cd bootable: win2k
    >> doesn't know how to handle an iso file and neither do I!
    >>

    > To burn the .iso correctly to disc, I'd download and install the
    > excellent and free ImgBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/ , direct
    > download link is http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.3.2.0.exe
    >
    > The 5 step process to burn the .iso correctly to CD with it is:
    >
    > 1. Load ImgBurn.
    > 2. Switch to 'Write' mode (initial default setting).
    > 3. Insert Disc in Burner.
    > 4. Select Image to burn (your .iso file).
    > 5. Click 'Write' button.

    Thanks very much to everyone who posted.
    This forum is the fastest replying forum I've ever used!

    Mike

  7. Re: where to make/get ubuntu 7.10 live cd?

    > Thanks very much to everyone who posted.
    > This forum is the fastest replying forum I've ever used!

    I wonder now what you think of Microsofts' claims that you have no
    backup by using open source software :-)

    Linux users are generally very helpful - very similar to Amiga users
    of their time - the answers might be a little less simple than Windows
    at times, but there's usually someone who can give you a quick answer
    :-)

+ Reply to Thread