How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchersevenly? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchersevenly? - Ubuntu ; I use Ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. Sleep/Hibernate doesn't yet and there are some things I'd like to see changed. For instance, I quite often drag the top panel to one of the sides of the screen and ...

  1. How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchersevenly?

    I use Ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. Sleep/Hibernate doesn't yet
    and there are some things I'd like to see changed. For instance, I
    quite often drag the top panel to one of the sides of the screen and it
    is almost always unintentionally (old muscles). Even if it is moved for
    only a second, it messes up the spacing of the Launcher icons on the
    panel. Is there a way to stop the Gnome panels from being dragged?

    As an alternative, is there a way of evenly spacing the icons on the
    panel that does not require dragging? Like a method?

  2. Re: How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchersevenly?

    Duinen wrote:
    > I use Ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. Sleep/Hibernate doesn't yet
    > and there are some things I'd like to see changed. For instance, I
    > quite often drag the top panel to one of the sides of the screen and it
    > is almost always unintentionally (old muscles). Even if it is moved for
    > only a second, it messes up the spacing of the Launcher icons on the
    > panel. Is there a way to stop the Gnome panels from being dragged?
    >
    > As an alternative, is there a way of evenly spacing the icons on the
    > panel that does not require dragging? Like a method?

    Hello

    Press Alt-F2 and run gconf-editor. Go to apps--> panel-->global and
    there the key "locked down" should do the trick. (I'm not entirely sure,
    'cause I've never used it before, just saw it.)

    Rob

  3. Re: How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchersevenly?

    Robert Zenz wrote:
    > Duinen wrote:
    >> I use Ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. Sleep/Hibernate doesn't
    >> yet and there are some things I'd like to see changed. For instance,
    >> I quite often drag the top panel to one of the sides of the screen and
    >> it is almost always unintentionally (old muscles). Even if it is
    >> moved for only a second, it messes up the spacing of the Launcher
    >> icons on the panel. Is there a way to stop the Gnome panels from
    >> being dragged?
    >>
    >> As an alternative, is there a way of evenly spacing the icons on the
    >> panel that does not require dragging? Like a method?

    > Hello
    >
    > Press Alt-F2 and run gconf-editor. Go to apps--> panel-->global and
    > there the key "locked down" should do the trick. (I'm not entirely sure,
    > 'cause I've never used it before, just saw it.)
    >
    > Rob

    Impressive - I did not really want to lock all changes to the panel but
    I'll try it. Thanks

    It does raise a new question. Does Gnome use a "Registry" style file
    for this data? If so, do multiple users on the same machine each have
    their own "registry" or do they share some. In that case how does
    Gnome/Linux handle concurrent access to the same items. (I used to be
    involved with computer security some 25 years ago, so I had to ask)

  4. Re: How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchers evenly?

    Duinen writes:

    > Robert Zenz wrote:
    >> Duinen wrote:
    >>> I use Ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. Sleep/Hibernate doesn't
    >>> yet and there are some things I'd like to see changed. For
    >>> instance, I quite often drag the top panel to one of the sides of
    >>> the screen and it is almost always unintentionally (old muscles).
    >>> Even if it is moved for only a second, it messes up the spacing of
    >>> the Launcher icons on the panel. Is there a way to stop the Gnome
    >>> panels from being dragged?
    >>>
    >>> As an alternative, is there a way of evenly spacing the icons on
    >>> the panel that does not require dragging? Like a method?

    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Press Alt-F2 and run gconf-editor. Go to apps--> panel-->global and
    >> there the key "locked down" should do the trick. (I'm not entirely
    >> sure, 'cause I've never used it before, just saw it.)

    *blink* You are guessing? A potentially system crippling setting?

    >> Rob

    > Impressive - I did not really want to lock all changes to the panel
    > but I'll try it. Thanks
    >
    > It does raise a new question. Does Gnome use a "Registry" style file
    > for this data? If so, do multiple users on the same machine each have
    > their own "registry" or do they share some. In that case how does
    > Gnome/Linux handle concurrent access to the same items. (I used to be
    > involved with computer security some 25 years ago, so I had to ask)

    AFAIK all data is user specific. There is no shared desktop data. Each
    user can run with different settings. At least I can't think of anything
    specific which is Gnome specific which is shared.

    --
    Una bella ancianidad es, ordinariamente, la recompensa de una bella
    vida.

  5. Re: How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchers evenly?

    Duinen wrote:

    > Robert Zenz wrote:
    >> Duinen wrote:
    >>> I use Ubuntu 7.10 and it works quite well. Sleep/Hibernate doesn't
    >>> yet and there are some things I'd like to see changed. For instance,
    >>> I quite often drag the top panel to one of the sides of the screen and
    >>> it is almost always unintentionally (old muscles). Even if it is
    >>> moved for only a second, it messes up the spacing of the Launcher
    >>> icons on the panel. Is there a way to stop the Gnome panels from
    >>> being dragged?
    >>>
    >>> As an alternative, is there a way of evenly spacing the icons on the
    >>> panel that does not require dragging? Like a method?

    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Press Alt-F2 and run gconf-editor. Go to apps--> panel-->global and
    >> there the key "locked down" should do the trick. (I'm not entirely sure,
    >> 'cause I've never used it before, just saw it.)
    >>
    >> Rob

    > Impressive - I did not really want to lock all changes to the panel but
    > I'll try it. Thanks
    >
    > It does raise a new question. Does Gnome use a "Registry" style file
    > for this data? If so, do multiple users on the same machine each have
    > their own "registry" or do they share some. In that case how does
    > Gnome/Linux handle concurrent access to the same items. (I used to be
    > involved with computer security some 25 years ago, so I had to ask)

    Each user has there own dot files (.filename) which are hidden
    files/directories within their respective home directories. It is within
    these files/directories that configuration settings are saved for each
    individual user.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  6. Re: How to lock Gnome panel in place (top) and how to space launchersevenly?

    Duinen wrote:

    > As an alternative, is there a way of evenly spacing the icons on the
    > panel that does not require dragging? Like a method?

    Right click on the icon to move and select unlock, then right click
    again to select move. Drag it and Voila!
    --
    Regards, Cushie Linux user 451873.

+ Reply to Thread