Linux XP - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Linux XP - Ubuntu ; Hi all, As I am getting into Ubuntu 7.10 and I think so far is pretty good. It seems that my daughter is getting me Linux XP for Christmas so I shall put that on a spare 20Gig HD. Now ...

  1. Linux XP

    Hi all,

    As I am getting into Ubuntu 7.10 and I think so far is pretty good.
    It seems that my daughter is getting me Linux XP for Christmas so I
    shall put that on a spare 20Gig HD.
    Now I am pretty new to Linux in general as I was a Windows user.
    So a few questions.

    1:- Is it as good as Ubuntu 7.10?
    2:- Does it do updates?
    3:- Does it do upgrades?
    4:- How much HD space does it take up?
    5:- Does it have a good enough hardware database for Printers.
    cameras, webcams, TV cards, Graphics cards, scanners?
    6:- I use an Athlon 1.667Gig CPU with 512 DDR ram that should be enough?

    TIA,

    Mike.

  2. Re: Linux XP

    Primax writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > As I am getting into Ubuntu 7.10 and I think so far is pretty good.
    > It seems that my daughter is getting me Linux XP for Christmas so I
    > shall put that on a spare 20Gig HD.
    > Now I am pretty new to Linux in general as I was a Windows user.
    > So a few questions.
    >

    > 1:- Is it as good as Ubuntu 7.10?

    Asking this in an Ubuntu help group is probably not the smartest thing
    you ever did. Also, define "good". What is that means "good" to you?

    > 2:- Does it do updates?
    > 3:- Does it do upgrades?

    Frankly I think you're mad to move to Linux XP. It tries to hard to be
    like XP. This being a case in point:

    http://www.linux-xp.com/news/detail.php?ID=2139

    Stick with Ubuntu.

    http://www.linux-xp.com/

    --
    Mais espalhado que espirro em farofa.

  3. Re: Linux XP

    Hadron wrote:
    > Primax writes:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> As I am getting into Ubuntu 7.10 and I think so far is pretty good.
    >> It seems that my daughter is getting me Linux XP for Christmas so I
    >> shall put that on a spare 20Gig HD.
    >> Now I am pretty new to Linux in general as I was a Windows user.
    >> So a few questions.
    >>

    >> 1:- Is it as good as Ubuntu 7.10?

    > Asking this in an Ubuntu help group is probably not the smartest thing
    > you ever did. Also, define "good". What is that means "good" to you?
    >
    >> 2:- Does it do updates?
    >> 3:- Does it do upgrades?

    > Frankly I think you're mad to move to Linux XP. It tries to hard to be
    > like XP. This being a case in point:
    >
    > http://www.linux-xp.com/news/detail.php?ID=2139
    >
    > Stick with Ubuntu.
    >

    >> 4:- How much HD space does it take up?
    >> 5:- Does it have a good enough hardware database for Printers.
    >> cameras, webcams, TV cards, Graphics cards, scanners?
    >> 6:- I use an Athlon 1.667Gig CPU with 512 DDR ram that should be enough?
    >>

    > http://www.linux-xp.com/
    >
    >> TIA,
    >>

    >> Mike.

    No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    upset my daughter you understand.
    I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.

    I just need to know if its any good thats all.

    Mike.

    --
    PK

  4. Re: Linux XP

    Primax said:

    [...]
    > No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    > upset my daughter you understand.
    > I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >
    > I just need to know if its any good thats all.
    >
    > Mike.

    Here's why it won't see the inside of my hard drive:
    http://www.linux-xp.com/licensing/

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  5. Re: Linux XP

    "Cybe R. Wizard" writes:

    > Primax said:
    >
    > [...]
    >> No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    >> upset my daughter you understand.
    >> I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >>
    >> I just need to know if its any good thats all.
    >>
    >> Mike.
    >>

    > Here's why it won't see the inside of my hard drive:
    > http://www.linux-xp.com/licensing/
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard

    Which bit?

    --
    El que escribe en el alma de un niño escribe para siempre.
    -- Anónim.

  6. Re: Linux XP

    Primax writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Primax writes:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> As I am getting into Ubuntu 7.10 and I think so far is pretty good.
    >>> It seems that my daughter is getting me Linux XP for Christmas so I
    >>> shall put that on a spare 20Gig HD.
    >>> Now I am pretty new to Linux in general as I was a Windows user.
    >>> So a few questions.
    >>>

    >>> 1:- Is it as good as Ubuntu 7.10?

    >> Asking this in an Ubuntu help group is probably not the smartest thing
    >> you ever did. Also, define "good". What is that means "good" to you?
    >>
    >>> 2:- Does it do updates?
    >>> 3:- Does it do upgrades?

    >> Frankly I think you're mad to move to Linux XP. It tries to hard to be
    >> like XP. This being a case in point:
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-xp.com/news/detail.php?ID=2139
    >>
    >> Stick with Ubuntu.
    >>

    >>> 4:- How much HD space does it take up?
    >>> 5:- Does it have a good enough hardware database for Printers.
    >>> cameras, webcams, TV cards, Graphics cards, scanners?
    >>> 6:- I use an Athlon 1.667Gig CPU with 512 DDR ram that should be enough?
    >>>

    >> http://www.linux-xp.com/
    >>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>

    >>> Mike.
    >>>

    > No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    > upset my daughter you understand.
    > I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >
    > I just need to know if its any good thats all.

    Define "good". What is "good" for you? Ability to look and feel like
    windows? Stability? "Free"? Includes latest codecs?

    You know it will run the same apps as all other desktop linux
    distros. It is based on Fedora.

    Do you care if they adhere to the GPL for all SW?

    Google can help.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+xp+review

    (google : linux xp review)

    --
    El que escribe en el alma de un niño escribe para siempre.
    -- Anónim.

  7. Re: Linux XP

    "Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
    > Primax said:
    >
    > [...]
    >> No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    >> upset my daughter you understand.
    >> I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >>
    >> I just need to know if its any good thats all.
    >>
    >> Mike.
    >>

    > Here's why it won't see the inside of my hard drive:
    > http://www.linux-xp.com/licensing/
    >
    > Cybe R. Wizard
    > --
    > Nice computers don't go down.
    > Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
    > "The Barsoom Project"

    Are these guys for real? From their FAQ:

    Q: I found that GNOME graphic environment was installed with
    Linux XP Desktop. Is KDE available for Linux XP Desktop?

    A: Forget about KDE. KDE is for hackers and that is why it sucks in
    end-user oriented distribution.
    We are not supporting it in any way. You can install it from Fedora
    repositories and use it on your own risk.

  8. Re: Linux XP

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:39:35 -0500, edgy wrote:

    > Are these guys for real? From their FAQ:
    >
    > Q: I found that GNOME graphic environment was installed with
    > Linux XP Desktop. Is KDE available for Linux XP Desktop?
    >
    > A: Forget about KDE. KDE is for hackers and that is why it sucks in
    > end-user oriented distribution.
    > We are not supporting it in any way. You can install it from Fedora
    > repositories and use it on your own risk.

    yeah they're for real...and some of them are going to turn 17 really soon!

  9. Re: Linux XP

    Hadron wrote:
    > Primax writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> Asking this in an Ubuntu help group is probably not the smartest thing
    >>> you ever did. Also, define "good". What is that means "good" to you?

    >>> Frankly I think you're mad to move to Linux XP. It tries to hard to be
    >>> like XP. This being a case in point:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linux-xp.com/news/detail.php?ID=2139
    >>>
    >>> Stick with Ubuntu.

    >>> http://www.linux-xp.com/

    >> No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    >> upset my daughter you understand.
    >> I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >>
    >> I just need to know if its any good thats all.

    > Define "good". What is "good" for you? Ability to look and feel like
    > windows? Stability? "Free"? Includes latest codecs?
    >
    > You know it will run the same apps as all other desktop linux
    > distros. It is based on Fedora.
    >
    > Do you care if they adhere to the GPL for all SW?
    >
    > Google can help.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+xp+review
    >
    > (google : linux xp review)
    >
    >> Mike.

    It looks like I started some thing here.

    I just asked a simple question.

    Let me make is clear to all.
    I am sticking with Ubuntu 7.10 and any upgrades.

    As my daughter has got me Linux XP for Christmas I don`t want to upset
    her by giving it back and saying its basically no good.

    I shall just take it, and say yes it great and thank you.
    And leave it at that.

    I feel like having to say sorry for asking.

    Mike.

  10. Re: Linux XP

    Hadron wrote:

    > "Cybe R. Wizard" writes:
    >
    >> Primax said:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>> No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    >>> upset my daughter you understand.
    >>> I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >>>
    >>> I just need to know if its any good thats all.
    >>>
    >>> Mike.
    >>>

    >> Here's why it won't see the inside of my hard drive:
    >> http://www.linux-xp.com/licensing/
    >>
    >> Cybe R. Wizard

    > Which bit?

    Any bit of a EULA turns me off. But I guess you're really used to this
    bull**** since you install (and champion) Windoze. The "GENERAL
    RESTRICTIONS" in their EULA is so Windoze-like.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  11. Re: Linux XP

    On 2007-11-15, Primax hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> Primax writes:

    >>> No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    >>> upset my daughter you understand.
    >>> I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >>>
    >>> I just need to know if its any good thats all.

    >> Define "good". What is "good" for you? Ability to look and feel like
    >> windows? Stability? "Free"? Includes latest codecs?
    >>
    >> You know it will run the same apps as all other desktop linux
    >> distros. It is based on Fedora.
    >>
    >> Do you care if they adhere to the GPL for all SW?
    >>
    >> Google can help.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+xp+review
    >>
    >> (google : linux xp review)
    >>
    >>> Mike.

    > It looks like I started some thing here.
    >
    > I just asked a simple question.
    >
    > Let me make is clear to all.
    > I am sticking with Ubuntu 7.10 and any upgrades.
    >
    > As my daughter has got me Linux XP for Christmas I don`t want to upset
    > her by giving it back and saying its basically no good.
    >
    > I shall just take it, and say yes it great and thank you.
    > And leave it at that.
    >
    > I feel like having to say sorry for asking.

    No not really. it is just that "good" has different meanings to
    different people. So when "Hadron" ask you to define "good" he made a
    valid point.

    But hey why not try it? I've tried:
    not necessarily in the order as listed

    Suse 5.2 my very first Gnu/Linux long time ago...
    Mandrake (Mandriva)
    Slackware
    Red Hat
    Caldera 2.4
    Progeny (Debian based)
    Debian Sid (and unstable)
    Knoppix on my other PC
    Linux Mint on the other too.
    (so no I'm not showing off)
    Ubuntu Studio on the other box (I'm waiting for a new video-card for it)

    In the other box I run a triple installation...

    Yes just hug your daughter and say thank you :-)

    > Mike.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  12. Re: Linux XP

    On 2007-11-15, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > "Cybe R. Wizard" writes:
    >
    >> Primax said:
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>> No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want to
    >>> upset my daughter you understand.
    >>> I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    >>>
    >>> I just need to know if its any good thats all.
    >>>
    >>> Mike.
    >>>

    >> Here's why it won't see the inside of my hard drive:
    >> http://www.linux-xp.com/licensing/
    >>
    >> Cybe R. Wizard

    > Which bit?

    C. In addition to the freely distributable Software
    Programs, Linux XP Desktop also includes certain Software
    Programs that are not distributed under the terms of
    the GPL or similar licenses that permit modification and
    redistribution. Generally, each of these Software Programs
    is distributed under the terms of a license agreement
    that grants the licensed user to install each of the
    Software Programs on a single computer for the user's own
    individual use. Copying (other than for archival purposes),
    redistribution, reverse engineering, decompiling and/or
    modification of these Software Programs is prohibited. Any
    violation by the user of the applicable license terms shall
    immediately terminate the license to use the Software
    Program.

    ----

    I guess this is the same reason why this will not be
    installed here either.

    Dragomir Kollaric

  13. Re: Linux XP

    "edgy" said:

    > "Cybe R. Wizard" wrote in message
    > > Primax said:
    > >
    > > [...]
    > >> No I am not moving to Linux XP, I shall try it out, as I dont want
    > >> to upset my daughter you understand.
    > >> I shall keep Ubuntu as my main OS.
    > >>
    > >> I just need to know if its any good thats all.
    > >>
    > >> Mike.
    > >>

    > > Here's why it won't see the inside of my hard drive:
    > > http://www.linux-xp.com/licensing/
    > >
    > > Cybe R. Wizard
    > > --
    > > Nice computers don't go down.
    > > Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
    > > "The Barsoom Project"

    > Are these guys for real? From their FAQ:
    >
    > Q: I found that GNOME graphic environment was installed
    > with Linux XP Desktop. Is KDE available for Linux XP Desktop?
    >
    > A: Forget about KDE. KDE is for hackers and that is why it
    > sucks in end-user oriented distribution.
    > We are not supporting it in any way. You can install it from
    > Fedora repositories and use it on your own risk.

    It seems that they are for real and next week they'll be able to get
    their driver's licenses.

    Cybe R. Wizard
    --
    Nice computers don't go down.
    Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

  14. Re: Linux XP

    Primax wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > As I am getting into Ubuntu 7.10 and I think so far is pretty good.
    > It seems that my daughter is getting me Linux XP for Christmas so I
    > shall put that on a spare 20Gig HD.

    I installed it last year (wrote a review on it for Call-A.P.P.L.E. too)
    to see what it would do.

    > Now I am pretty new to Linux in general as I was a Windows user.

    Stick with it. You'll be a happier person.

    > So a few questions.
    >

    > 1:- Is it as good as Ubuntu 7.10?

    Absolutely not.

    > 2:- Does it do updates?

    Don't think so. I think you may have to pay for them.

    > 3:- Does it do upgrades?

    Copy and paste above response.

    > 4:- How much HD space does it take up?

    Surprisingly little. I installed it on a 6GB drive and had space left over.

    > 5:- Does it have a good enough hardware database for Printers.
    > cameras, webcams, TV cards, Graphics cards, scanners?

    It had problems with the graphics card/monitor combo I was using. I
    didn't bother checking out the rest because I was so frustrated.

    > 6:- I use an Athlon 1.667Gig CPU with 512 DDR ram that should
    > be enough?

    I was running it on a 650MHz proprietary system with 256MB of RAM.

    > TIA,
    >

    > Mike.

    The thing to remember is there are two versions. The demo and the full.
    The full is completely commercial software. It is basically a simple
    Linux distro configured to run wine. In the demo I was able to install
    (but not run) M$ programs. The main point is it was supposed to be a
    transition phase between M$ and Linux. I was not impressed. Maybe the
    quality has improved in the last nine months.

    The install time is fairly short. You should be able to install it
    while your daughter is there. Give her a demo. All the basic stuff
    works. You may not be able to do more than surf the web though.

    Later
    Mike

  15. Re: Linux XP

    Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    > C. In addition to the freely distributable Software
    > Programs, Linux XP Desktop also includes certain Software
    > Programs that are not distributed under the terms of
    > the GPL or similar licenses that permit modification and
    > redistribution. Generally, each of these Software Programs
    > is distributed under the terms of a license agreement
    > that grants the licensed user to install each of the
    > Software Programs on a single computer for the user's own
    > individual use. Copying (other than for archival purposes),
    > redistribution, reverse engineering, decompiling and/or
    > modification of these Software Programs is prohibited. Any
    > violation by the user of the applicable license terms shall
    > immediately terminate the license to use the Software
    > Program.

    So what does this mean, that this distro will run Windows applications?
    Is it integrated with a version of Wine or BackOffice?

    Yousuf Khan

  16. Re: Linux XP

    Dragomir Kollaric writes:

    > On 2007-11-15, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    >> "Cybe R. Wizard" writes:
    >>
    >>> Primax said:
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>>>
    >>> Here's why it won't see the inside of my hard drive:
    >>> http://www.linux-xp.com/licensing/
    >>>
    >>> Cybe R. Wizard

    >> Which bit?
    >>

    > C. In addition to the freely distributable Software
    > Programs, Linux XP Desktop also includes certain Software
    > Programs that are not distributed under the terms of
    > the GPL or similar licenses that permit modification and
    > redistribution. Generally, each of these Software Programs
    > is distributed under the terms of a license agreement
    > that grants the licensed user to install each of the
    > Software Programs on a single computer for the user's own
    > individual use. Copying (other than for archival purposes),
    > redistribution, reverse engineering, decompiling and/or
    > modification of these Software Programs is prohibited. Any
    > violation by the user of the applicable license terms shall
    > immediately terminate the license to use the Software
    > Program.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > I guess this is the same reason why this will not be
    > installed here either.
    >
    > Dragomir Kollaric

    You guess?

    You do realise a lot of the CODECs you have installed in Ubuntu are not
    GPLd? What video drivers do you use? At least I assume you would have -
    I know my system would not be usable without restricted drivers.

    I'm not much of a zealot I must admit and generally find the non GPL
    drivers and similar to be better than their open source equivalent
    certainly in the video department.

    That regardless, Linux XP looks like yet another waste of time distro
    that, by trying to stay like XP, loses a lot of the flexibility and
    benefits of something like Ubuntu over windows. "Choice" yet again
    diluting the resource pool and hindering Linux development.

    --
    When man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it will attempt
    to defend itself when he tries to kill it.

  17. Re: Linux XP

    On 2007-11-15, Hadron hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric writes:

    >>> Which bit?
    >>>

    >> C. In addition to the freely distributable Software
    >> Programs, Linux XP Desktop also includes certain Software
    >> Programs that are not distributed under the terms of
    >> the GPL or similar licenses that permit modification and
    >> redistribution. Generally, each of these Software Programs
    >> is distributed under the terms of a license agreement
    >> that grants the licensed user to install each of the
    >> Software Programs on a single computer for the user's own
    >> individual use. Copying (other than for archival purposes),
    >> redistribution, reverse engineering, decompiling and/or
    >> modification of these Software Programs is prohibited. Any
    >> violation by the user of the applicable license terms shall
    >> immediately terminate the license to use the Software
    >> Program.
    >>
    >> ----
    >>
    >> I guess this is the same reason why this will not be
    >> installed here either.
    >>
    >> Dragomir Kollaric

    > You guess?
    >
    > You do realise a lot of the CODECs you have installed in Ubuntu are not
    > GPLd? What video drivers do you use? At least I assume you would have -
    > I know my system would not be usable without restricted drivers.

    paragraph. I doubt you've read the whole thing, this is why I choose to
    post just this portion...

    Dragomir Kollaric

  18. Re: Linux XP

    On 2007-11-15, Yousuf Khan hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> C. In addition to the freely distributable Software
    >> Programs, Linux XP Desktop also includes certain Software
    >> Programs that are not distributed under the terms of
    >> the GPL or similar licenses that permit modification and
    >> redistribution. Generally, each of these Software Programs
    >> is distributed under the terms of a license agreement
    >> that grants the licensed user to install each of the
    >> Software Programs on a single computer for the user's own
    >> individual use. Copying (other than for archival purposes),
    >> redistribution, reverse engineering, decompiling and/or
    >> modification of these Software Programs is prohibited. Any
    >> violation by the user of the applicable license terms shall
    >> immediately terminate the license to use the Software
    >> Program.

    > So what does this mean, that this distro will run Windows applications?
    > Is it integrated with a version of Wine or BackOffice?

    I don't know I didn't really investigate it. Besides the *only* version
    of MS OS I have is the 98er variant, to use my old scanner with, and
    until I found a tool, to change the cartridge for the printer.
    Ah then there were some old files I can/could read only with Word Pro
    from Lotus, but now they seemed to have released a new office suite. With
    a Linux version as well.

    > Yousuf Khan

    Dragomir Kollaric

  19. Re: Linux XP

    Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > Dragomir Kollaric wrote:
    >> C. In addition to the freely distributable Software
    >> Programs, Linux XP Desktop also includes certain Software
    >> Programs that are not distributed under the terms of
    >> the GPL or similar licenses that permit modification and
    >> redistribution. Generally, each of these Software Programs
    >> is distributed under the terms of a license agreement
    >> that grants the licensed user to install each of the
    >> Software Programs on a single computer for the user's own
    >> individual use. Copying (other than for archival purposes),
    >> redistribution, reverse engineering, decompiling and/or
    >> modification of these Software Programs is prohibited. Any
    >> violation by the user of the applicable license terms shall
    >> immediately terminate the license to use the Software
    >> Program.

    > So what does this mean, that this distro will run Windows applications?
    > Is it integrated with a version of Wine or BackOffice?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    It uses wine to run M$ apps. It doesn't work in the demo. It should for
    the full version.

    Later
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread