Core2 Quad Processor? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Core2 Quad Processor? - Ubuntu ; Can the latest Ubuntu use/exploit the Core2 Quad Processor? (Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600) -Pete...

  1. Core2 Quad Processor?

    Can the latest Ubuntu use/exploit the Core2 Quad Processor? (Intel®
    Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600)
    -Pete

  2. Re: Core2 Quad Processor?

    Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Can the latest Ubuntu use/exploit the Core2 Quad Processor? (IntelĀ®
    > Coreā„¢2 Quad Processor Q6600)

    Yes. Ubuntu is multi-core capable.

    You'll need the 64 bit version, confusingly referred to as the
    AMD64.iso version. Don't worry about the name though, it *is* for
    64 bit intel chips too.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: Core2 Quad Processor?

    Moog wrote:

    > Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Can the latest Ubuntu use/exploit the Core2 Quad Processor? (IntelĀ®
    >> Coreā„¢2 Quad Processor Q6600)

    > Yes. Ubuntu is multi-core capable.
    >
    > You'll need the 64 bit version

    Why is that? Do you mean a 32 bit version won't run on the Core 2 Quad?

    de Kameel

  4. Re: Core2 Quad Processor?

    De Kameel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> Can the latest Ubuntu use/exploit the Core2 Quad Processor? (IntelĀ®
    >>> Coreā„¢2 Quad Processor Q6600)

    >> Yes. Ubuntu is multi-core capable.
    >>
    >> You'll need the 64 bit version

    > Why is that? Do you mean a 32 bit version won't run on the Core 2 Quad?

    Nope. The 32 bit version will certainly work. I hadn't properly
    looked into it.

    Just a quick Google tells me the SMP Kernel is installed if it detects
    multi-core on either. So either is fine.

    Thanks for pointing this out DK. Cheers.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  5. Re: Core2 Quad Processor?

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:19:54 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > De Kameel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> Moog wrote:
    >>
    >>> Pete illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>>
    >>> Yes. Ubuntu is multi-core capable.
    >>>
    >>> You'll need the 64 bit version

    >> Why is that? Do you mean a 32 bit version won't run on the Core 2 Quad?

    > Nope. The 32 bit version will certainly work. I hadn't properly looked
    > into it.
    >
    > Just a quick Google tells me the SMP Kernel is installed if it detects
    > multi-core on either. So either is fine.
    >
    > Thanks for pointing this out DK. Cheers.

    But just like M$, you have to pay double the normal price for the Ubuntu
    OS with Quad-Core support... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  6. Re: Core2 Quad Processor?

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:19:54 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> De Kameel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    >>> Why is that? Do you mean a 32 bit version won't run on the Core 2 Quad?

    >> Nope. The 32 bit version will certainly work. I hadn't properly looked
    >> into it.
    >>
    >> Just a quick Google tells me the SMP Kernel is installed if it detects
    >> multi-core on either. So either is fine.
    >>
    >> Thanks for pointing this out DK. Cheers.

    > But just like M$, you have to pay double the normal price for the Ubuntu
    > OS with Quad-Core support... ;-)

    Two pints of beer instead of one? ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  7. Re: Core2 Quad Processor?

    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:23:29 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> But just like M$, you have to pay double the normal price for the
    >> Ubuntu OS with Quad-Core support... ;-)

    > Two pints of beer instead of one? ;-)

    Double nothing is still nothing... ;-)

    I am not sure about current versions (Vista), but previous releases of
    Windows only allowed for 2 CPU's unless you went to the server versions.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Home line only takes advantage of 2
    Cores...

    --
    Joe - Registered Linux User #449481
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  8. Re: Core2 Quad Processor?

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 21:23:29 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> But just like M$, you have to pay double the normal price for the
    >>> Ubuntu OS with Quad-Core support... ;-)

    >> Two pints of beer instead of one? ;-)

    > Double nothing is still nothing... ;-)

    Absolutely.

    > I am not sure about current versions (Vista), but previous releases of
    > Windows only allowed for 2 CPU's unless you went to the server versions.
    > I wouldn't be surprised if the Home line only takes advantage of 2
    > Cores...

    I think most Vista's are multi-core capable from the off. Including
    Home Basic.

    In fact, I beleive most vista's need two cores to even boot ***
    ;-)

    *** (BTW. This is a joke...laugh, don't flame)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread