jAVA - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on jAVA - Ubuntu ; I have installed sun-java using synaptic on Feisty. When I type java at the CLI my system is still trying to use the original version of Java from the Free Software Foundation. How do I make my system use the ...

  1. jAVA

    I have installed sun-java using synaptic on Feisty. When I type java
    at the CLI my system is still trying to use the original version of
    Java from the Free Software Foundation. How do I make my system use
    the new version of Java by default.

    TIA
    Mike

  2. Re: jAVA

    Michael Farnham illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I have installed sun-java using synaptic on Feisty. When I type java
    > at the CLI my system is still trying to use the original version of
    > Java from the Free Software Foundation. How do I make my system use
    > the new version of Java by default.
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    Open a terminal and type
    $ sudo update-alternatives --config java

    Enter your sudo password then follow the instructions on how to the make
    the version of java you want the default one.

    HTH

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  3. Re: jAVA

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:57:40 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > Michael Farnham illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I have installed sun-java using synaptic on Feisty. When I type java
    >> at the CLI my system is still trying to use the original version of
    >> Java from the Free Software Foundation. How do I make my system use
    >> the new version of Java by default.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Mike

    > Open a terminal and type
    > $ sudo update-alternatives --config java
    >
    > Enter your sudo password then follow the instructions on how to the make
    > the version of java you want the default one.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks Moog. I don't think I would have ever figured that out
    on my own.

    Regards
    Mike

  4. Re: jAVA

    Michael Farnham illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:57:40 +0000, Moog wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Farnham illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>> I have installed sun-java using synaptic on Feisty. When I type java
    >>> at the CLI my system is still trying to use the original version of
    >>> Java from the Free Software Foundation. How do I make my system use
    >>> the new version of Java by default.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Mike

    >> Open a terminal and type
    >> $ sudo update-alternatives --config java
    >>
    >> Enter your sudo password then follow the instructions on how to the make
    >> the version of java you want the default one.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > Thanks Moog. I don't think I would have ever figured that out
    > on my own.

    No problem Mike.

    Glad to have helped a little.

    I just wish I'd have proof read my response. I really
    must do that more in future.

    I think you worked it out, but I obviously meant
    "follow the instructions to get the version of Jave you prefer to be the
    default one."

    Just in case any one else doesn't understand my gibberish. ;-)

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

+ Reply to Thread