Grrr, work! and my laptop at home. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Grrr, work! and my laptop at home. - Ubuntu ; First off, Grrrr! Yesterday we were all forced into Outlook and Exchange server here at work for email. Oh, well, as long as they keep paying me I guess. Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy ...

  1. Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    First off, Grrrr! Yesterday we were all forced into Outlook and Exchange
    server here at work for email. Oh, well, as long as they keep paying me
    I guess.

    Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy before a long
    family medical trip last month so that I had a means to vpn in and work
    while on the road. It is a compaq c714nr. Not a bad little machine, but
    Vista home premium that it came with is slower then slow.

    I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,
    and it only works in safe graphics mode. If I try to boot normally it
    says the x config is wrong and defaults to a cli. To be expected I
    suppose. The built in wireless chipset also does not operate off the
    live cd. I have found that there is linux support for the wireless.

    What I want to know is if there is a method for "slipstreaming" the x
    config and wireless drivers into my live cd to really see how this
    notebook will operate with Ubuntu on it before I go ahead and
    repartition and install? And if there is does anyone know where a decent
    walk through on it is?

    The wireless chipset is Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    The video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)
    The screen is a 15.4" widescreen bright view (I think, but can get it
    for sure during the process)

    Thanks for any help,

    Ryan

  2. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    usenet identity wrote:

    > First off, Grrrr! Yesterday we were all forced into Outlook and Exchange
    > server here at work for email. Oh, well, as long as they keep paying me
    > I guess.
    >
    > Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy before a long
    > family medical trip last month so that I had a means to vpn in and work
    > while on the road. It is a compaq c714nr. Not a bad little machine, but
    > Vista home premium that it came with is slower then slow.
    >
    > I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    > laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,
    > and it only works in safe graphics mode. If I try to boot normally it
    > says the x config is wrong and defaults to a cli. To be expected I
    > suppose. The built in wireless chipset also does not operate off the
    > live cd. I have found that there is linux support for the wireless.
    >
    > What I want to know is if there is a method for "slipstreaming" the x
    > config and wireless drivers into my live cd to really see how this
    > notebook will operate with Ubuntu on it before I go ahead and
    > repartition and install? And if there is does anyone know where a decent
    > walk through on it is?

    Not that I'm aware of.

    > The wireless chipset is IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    > The video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)

    This should work with the i810 open source driver.

    When you boot up and get to the cli, what is in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf as
    the driver being used?

    > The screen is a 15.4" widescreen bright view (I think, but can get it
    > for sure during the process)
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Ryan

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  3. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    NoStop wrote:
    > usenet identity wrote:
    >
    >> First off, Grrrr! Yesterday we were all forced into Outlook and Exchange
    >> server here at work for email. Oh, well, as long as they keep paying me
    >> I guess.
    >>
    >> Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy before a long
    >> family medical trip last month so that I had a means to vpn in and work
    >> while on the road. It is a compaq c714nr. Not a bad little machine, but
    >> Vista home premium that it came with is slower then slow.
    >>
    >> I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    >> laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,
    >> and it only works in safe graphics mode. If I try to boot normally it
    >> says the x config is wrong and defaults to a cli. To be expected I
    >> suppose. The built in wireless chipset also does not operate off the
    >> live cd. I have found that there is linux support for the wireless.
    >>
    >> What I want to know is if there is a method for "slipstreaming" the x
    >> config and wireless drivers into my live cd to really see how this
    >> notebook will operate with Ubuntu on it before I go ahead and
    >> repartition and install? And if there is does anyone know where a decent
    >> walk through on it is?
    >>

    > Not that I'm aware of.
    >
    >> The wireless chipset is IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    >> The video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)

    > This should work with the i810 open source driver.
    >
    > When you boot up and get to the cli, what is in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf as
    > the driver being used?

    Dunno, as I am at work right now, but I can check it tonight. It would
    be whatever the 6.10 live cd defaults to.

  4. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:41:27 -0800, usenet identity wrote:

    > I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    > laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,
    > and it only works in safe graphics mode.

    Ubuntu 6.10 is over a year old, please start by trying 7.10 which is more
    like 4 weeks old and considerably more up to date with newer hardware.
    Until you do that, everything you try will be harder than needed.

  5. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    usenet identity wrote:

    > Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy before a long
    > family medical trip last month
    >
    > I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    > laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,

    One month old hardware, eighteen-month old os/drivers? Suggest you
    download a Gutsy iso or look here www.linuxmint.com

  6. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:41:27 -0800, usenet identity wrote:

    > First off, Grrrr! Yesterday we were all forced into Outlook and Exchange
    > server here at work for email. Oh, well, as long as they keep paying me
    > I guess.
    >
    > Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy before a long
    > family medical trip last month so that I had a means to vpn in and work
    > while on the road. It is a compaq c714nr. Not a bad little machine, but
    > Vista home premium that it came with is slower then slow.
    >
    > I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    > laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,
    > and it only works in safe graphics mode. If I try to boot normally it
    > says the x config is wrong and defaults to a cli. To be expected I
    > suppose. The built in wireless chipset also does not operate off the
    > live cd. I have found that there is linux support for the wireless.
    >
    > What I want to know is if there is a method for "slipstreaming" the x
    > config and wireless drivers into my live cd to really see how this
    > notebook will operate with Ubuntu on it before I go ahead and
    > repartition and install? And if there is does anyone know where a decent
    > walk through on it is?
    >
    > The wireless chipset is IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    > The video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)
    > The screen is a 15.4" widescreen bright view (I think, but can get it
    > for sure during the process)
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Ryan

    Highly recommend you try 7.04 or 7.10. There have been great strides in
    the last year. The Intel graphics module works like a charm, though I
    think you may need to post install. It should work with a VESA driver,
    though in reduced resolution.

  7. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:41:27 -0800, usenet identity wrote:
    >
    >> First off, Grrrr! Yesterday we were all forced into Outlook and Exchange
    >> server here at work for email. Oh, well, as long as they keep paying me
    >> I guess.
    >>
    >> Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy before a long
    >> family medical trip last month so that I had a means to vpn in and work
    >> while on the road. It is a compaq c714nr. Not a bad little machine, but
    >> Vista home premium that it came with is slower then slow.
    >>
    >> I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    >> laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,
    >> and it only works in safe graphics mode. If I try to boot normally it
    >> says the x config is wrong and defaults to a cli. To be expected I
    >> suppose. The built in wireless chipset also does not operate off the
    >> live cd. I have found that there is linux support for the wireless.
    >>
    >> What I want to know is if there is a method for "slipstreaming" the x
    >> config and wireless drivers into my live cd to really see how this
    >> notebook will operate with Ubuntu on it before I go ahead and
    >> repartition and install? And if there is does anyone know where a decent
    >> walk through on it is?
    >>
    >> The wireless chipset is IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    >> The video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)
    >> The screen is a 15.4" widescreen bright view (I think, but can get it
    >> for sure during the process)
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >>
    >> Ryan

    > Highly recommend you try 7.04 or 7.10. There have been great strides in
    > the last year. The Intel graphics module works like a charm, though I
    > think you may need to post install. It should work with a VESA driver,
    > though in reduced resolution.

    Well apparently I need to get my live cd from somewhere else. I may be
    remembering wrong, but I could have sworn that I was given a choice of
    5.x or 6.1 when going for a live cd. I realize that the actual distro is
    more up to date then that, but I thought that maybe the live cd world
    was behind for some reason.

    Will redownload and try again tonight with a more current live cd and
    see if that helps with the wireless. The video I don't see being a
    problem once I actually install. The install process should handle the x
    config. It did wonderfully on my desktop.

    Thanks,

    Ryan

  8. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:17:31 -0800, usenet identity wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:41:27 -0800, usenet identity wrote:
    >>
    >>> First off, Grrrr! Yesterday we were all forced into Outlook and Exchange
    >>> server here at work for email. Oh, well, as long as they keep paying me
    >>> I guess.
    >>>
    >>> Now, for the laptop. I bought a cheap laptop at BestBuy before a long
    >>> family medical trip last month so that I had a means to vpn in and work
    >>> while on the road. It is a compaq c714nr. Not a bad little machine, but
    >>> Vista home premium that it came with is slower then slow.
    >>>
    >>> I run Ubuntu on my desktop at home and would like to dual boot this
    >>> laptop with Ubuntu and xp pro. I have run a live cd on it, 6.10 I think,
    >>> and it only works in safe graphics mode. If I try to boot normally it
    >>> says the x config is wrong and defaults to a cli. To be expected I
    >>> suppose. The built in wireless chipset also does not operate off the
    >>> live cd. I have found that there is linux support for the wireless.
    >>>
    >>> What I want to know is if there is a method for "slipstreaming" the x
    >>> config and wireless drivers into my live cd to really see how this
    >>> notebook will operate with Ubuntu on it before I go ahead and
    >>> repartition and install? And if there is does anyone know where a decent
    >>> walk through on it is?
    >>>
    >>> The wireless chipset is IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    >>> The video is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (shared)
    >>> The screen is a 15.4" widescreen bright view (I think, but can get it
    >>> for sure during the process)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help,
    >>>
    >>> Ryan

    >> Highly recommend you try 7.04 or 7.10. There have been great strides in
    >> the last year. The Intel graphics module works like a charm, though I
    >> think you may need to post install. It should work with a VESA driver,
    >> though in reduced resolution.
    >>

    > Well apparently I need to get my live cd from somewhere else. I may be
    > remembering wrong, but I could have sworn that I was given a choice of
    > 5.x or 6.1 when going for a live cd. I realize that the actual distro is
    > more up to date then that, but I thought that maybe the live cd world
    > was behind for some reason.

    For some time Ubuntu has made it a package - one CD has live CD as well as
    install. In fact, it boots to the Live CD first, then you click on the
    install icon.

    > Will redownload and try again tonight with a more current live cd and
    > see if that helps with the wireless. The video I don't see being a
    > problem once I actually install. The install process should handle the x
    > config. It did wonderfully on my desktop.

    It worked quite well with mad-wifi and my ahteros wireless card on my
    Gateway laptop.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ryan

  9. Re: Grrr, work! and my laptop at home.

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:17:31 -0800, usenet identity wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> Highly recommend you try 7.04 or 7.10. There have been great strides in
    >>> the last year. The Intel graphics module works like a charm, though I
    >>> think you may need to post install. It should work with a VESA driver,
    >>> though in reduced resolution.
    >>>

    >> Well apparently I need to get my live cd from somewhere else. I may be
    >> remembering wrong, but I could have sworn that I was given a choice of
    >> 5.x or 6.1 when going for a live cd. I realize that the actual distro is
    >> more up to date then that, but I thought that maybe the live cd world
    >> was behind for some reason.

    > For some time Ubuntu has made it a package - one CD has live CD as well as
    > install. In fact, it boots to the Live CD first, then you click on the
    > install icon.
    >
    >> Will redownload and try again tonight with a more current live cd and
    >> see if that helps with the wireless. The video I don't see being a
    >> problem once I actually install. The install process should handle the x
    >> config. It did wonderfully on my desktop.

    > It worked quite well with mad-wifi and my ahteros wireless card on my
    > Gateway laptop.

    I logged into home through Putty and started the download at lunch,
    should be a snap to burn and try when I get home.

    Ryan

+ Reply to Thread