Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications. - Ubuntu ; I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the Applications menus. How can I access it, and put it into a menu? TIA Rob...

  1. Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    Applications menus.

    How can I access it, and put it into a menu?

    TIA

    Rob

  2. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not in Applications.

    Rob wrote:

    > I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    > Applications menus.
    >
    > How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    Look in System ... Administration

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  3. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    Le Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:15:21 +0000, Rob a √©crit¬*:

    > I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    > Applications menus.
    >
    > How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    Gparted should be in System>Administration>.
    Or you can access it by taping Alt+F2, then typing Gparted. You'll need
    root privilege.

    Don't forget to unmount the drives you want to work on.

  4. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    Rob illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    > Applications menus.
    >
    > How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >
    > TIA

    On my system....

    System -> Administration -> Partition Editor

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  5. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not in Applications.

    Moog wrote:
    > Rob illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    >> Applications menus.
    >>
    >> How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > On my system....
    >
    > System -> Administration -> Partition Editor

    You can also open in terminal with root privileges.
    caver1

  6. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:38:00 +0000, Diesel wrote:

    > Le Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:15:21 +0000, Rob a √©crit¬*:
    >
    >> I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    >> Applications menus.
    >>
    >> How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Rob

    > Gparted should be in System>Administration>. Or you can access it by
    > taping Alt+F2, then typing Gparted. You'll need root privilege.
    >
    > Don't forget to unmount the drives you want to work on.

    Thanks very much, and to the other responders as well. As an new emigre
    from Windows I'm used to all new applications going to the same (All
    Programs) menu.

    I do have a problem though. How do I mount a drive? Most of the functions
    are greyed out. Perhaps this is the reason. I have Parted pre-installed
    on Puppy Linux and there it works fine, so I can do the job there (and
    have in fact), but I would like to sort it out on Ubuntu too.

    Thanks again.

    Rob

  7. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:38:00 +0000, Diesel wrote:

    > Le Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:15:21 +0000, Rob a √©crit¬*:
    >
    >> I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    >> Applications menus.
    >>
    >> How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Rob

    > Gparted should be in System>Administration>. Or you can access it by
    > taping Alt+F2, then typing Gparted. You'll need root privilege.
    >
    > Don't forget to unmount the drives you want to work on.

    Sorry I meant How do I unmount the drives, of course.

  8. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    Rob illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:38:00 +0000, Diesel wrote:
    >
    >> Le Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:15:21 +0000, Rob a √©crit¬*:
    >>
    >>> I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    >>> Applications menus.
    >>>
    >>> How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> Gparted should be in System>Administration>. Or you can access it by
    >> taping Alt+F2, then typing Gparted. You'll need root privilege.
    >>
    >> Don't forget to unmount the drives you want to work on.

    > Sorry I meant How do I unmount the drives, of course.

    Rob. If you've got any serious work to do on hard drives, you are
    probably better off using a LiveCD.

    The two I use are SysRescCd and Parted Magic. Do a quick google for
    them.
    This way, your drives don't get mounted and you can resize split and
    partition to your hearts content.

    Once the disk is mounted it is very difficult to do anything to it as
    linux will undoubtedly be using it to run its system files.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  9. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not in Applications.

    Moog wrote:

    > Rob illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:38:00 +0000, Diesel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Le Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:15:21 +0000, Rob a √©crit¬*:

    >>> Gparted should be in System>Administration>. Or you can access it by
    >>> taping Alt+F2, then typing Gparted. You'll need root privilege.
    >>>
    >>> Don't forget to unmount the drives you want to work on.

    >> Sorry I meant How do I unmount the drives, of course.

    > Rob. If you've got any serious work to do on hard drives, you are
    > probably better off using a LiveCD.
    >
    > The two I use are SysRescCd and Parted Magic. Do a quick google for
    > them.
    > This way, your drives don't get mounted and you can resize split and
    > partition to your hearts content.
    >
    > Once the disk is mounted it is very difficult to do anything to it as
    > linux will undoubtedly be using it to run its system files.

    Why not just boot the Ubuntu LiveCD and run gparted from there instead of
    going out and getting another iso to burn? Just curious.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  10. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    Le Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:52:38 +0000, Rob a √©crit¬*:

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:38:00 +0000, Diesel wrote:
    >
    >> Le Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:15:21 +0000, Rob a √©crit¬*:
    >>
    >>> I installed Gparted, but after installation I can't find it in the
    >>> Applications menus.
    >>>
    >>> How can I access it, and put it into a menu?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> Gparted should be in System>Administration>. Or you can access it by
    >> taping Alt+F2, then typing Gparted. You'll need root privilege.
    >>
    >> Don't forget to unmount the drives you want to work on.

    > Sorry I meant How do I unmount the drives, of course.

    You can can also work from the live-cd, gparted is installed and you
    won't be working on your system.

    To unmount a drive type in terminal:
    sudo umount /yourDrive/path

    Mostly the directories of the drives are mount in /media. For exemple:
    sudo umount /media/hda5 or sudo umount /media/sdb2

    To remount the partition, use:
    sudo mount media/yourPartition -> which gives us something like:
    sudo mount /media/hda5

    Depending of what you are doing, you might have to edit the fstab file, a
    configuration file for your partitions and filesystems.

    You should back it up first, type in terminal:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

    If something went wrong you can then come back with:
    sudo mv /etc/fstab.backup /etc/fstab

  11. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:

    > <...>
    > Why not just boot the Ubuntu LiveCD and run gparted from there instead of
    > going out and getting another iso to burn? Just curious.

    That, of course, is an option. However, I think it is overkill to run
    a fully fledged LiveCD rather than a cut down lightweight WM to run
    just one program.

    I think it is pertinent to have a number of items in your "toolkit".

    The download size may be a killer though if you're on anything other
    than broadband.
    162mb for SysrescCD
    30mb for Parted Magic.

    They're well worth it.

    --
    Moog

    leather straps."

  12. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    Le Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:21:06 +0000, Moog a √©crit¬*:

    > NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >
    >> <...>
    >> Why not just boot the Ubuntu LiveCD and run gparted from there instead
    >> of going out and getting another iso to burn? Just curious.

    > That, of course, is an option. However, I think it is overkill to run a
    > fully fledged LiveCD rather than a cut down lightweight WM to run just
    > one program.
    >
    > I think it is pertinent to have a number of items in your "toolkit".
    >
    > The download size may be a killer though if you're on anything other
    > than broadband.
    > 162mb for SysrescCD
    > 30mb for Parted Magic.
    >
    > They're well worth it.

    If you have nothing else for the time being, the Ubuntu live-cd can do
    the trick perfectly.

    But i definitely agree with you, sysrescCD might always come handy in the
    future.
    Parted Magic is another story, 30MB is kind of too small. I think it
    would be wasting a CD for just one application. Still, if you have many
    spare CDs, why not?

  13. Re: Installed Gparted, but can't find how to run it. Not inApplications.

    Diesel illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > Le Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:21:06 +0000, Moog a √©crit¬*:
    >
    >> NoStop illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    >>
    >>> <...>
    >>> Why not just boot the Ubuntu LiveCD and run gparted from there instead
    >>> of going out and getting another iso to burn? Just curious.

    >> That, of course, is an option. However, I think it is overkill to run a
    >> fully fledged LiveCD rather than a cut down lightweight WM to run just
    >> one program.
    >>
    >> I think it is pertinent to have a number of items in your "toolkit".
    >>
    >> The download size may be a killer though if you're on anything other
    >> than broadband.
    >> 162mb for SysrescCD
    >> 30mb for Parted Magic.
    >>
    >> They're well worth it.

    > If you have nothing else for the time being, the Ubuntu live-cd can do
    > the trick perfectly.

    Yup. My bad. I should have stted exactly that.

    > But i definitely agree with you, sysrescCD might always come handy in the
    > future.

    It has saved my anus on more than one occasion.

    > Parted Magic is another story, 30MB is kind of too small.

    It's superb for partition work.

    > I think it
    > would be wasting a CD for just one application. Still, if you have many
    > spare CDs, why not?

    Damn. I just dropped a penny. ;-)

    --
    Moog