Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but.... - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but.... - Ubuntu ; I have two issues that are preventing me from upgrading to Gutsy (from Feisty) that I hope someone can help with. I have a server that is exporting directories using nfs that has worked solidly with Ubuntu clients from versions ...

  1. Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    I have two issues that are preventing me from upgrading to Gutsy (from
    Feisty) that I hope someone can help with.

    I have a server that is exporting directories using nfs that has worked
    solidly with Ubuntu clients from versions Hoary up to Feisty. However in
    Gutsy, although the directories are mounted, I can't access them due to
    permissions problems - even though the UIDs and GIDs are identical to
    Feisty. Has something changed in the way Gutsy handles nfs?

    Also, VMplayer is a must for me - but refuses to install even though it is
    in the repository.

    Any ideas - thanks

  2. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    piltdown writes:

    > I have two issues that are preventing me from upgrading to Gutsy (from
    > Feisty) that I hope someone can help with.
    >
    > I have a server that is exporting directories using nfs that has worked
    > solidly with Ubuntu clients from versions Hoary up to Feisty. However in
    > Gutsy, although the directories are mounted, I can't access them due to
    > permissions problems - even though the UIDs and GIDs are identical to
    > Feisty. Has something changed in the way Gutsy handles nfs?

    Try reinstalling nfs-common.

    --
    Llevarás tu espada como si fueras un pincho moruno. (Monkey I)

  3. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:28:33 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Try reinstalling nfs-common.

    Thanks for your reply. I have already tried reinstalling nfs-common with
    the same result.

  4. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    piltdown writes:

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:28:33 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> Try reinstalling nfs-common.

    > Thanks for your reply. I have already tried reinstalling nfs-common with
    > the same result.

    Do you have more information? Which filesystems/mounts? Can you explore
    them using command line? Why do you mean by "cant access them"? Via nfs
    or via any route such as the bash shell?

    --
    finlandia:~> apropos win
    win: nothing appropriate.

  5. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:18:52 +0100, Hadron wrote:

    > Do you have more information? Which filesystems/mounts? Can you explore
    > them using command line? Why do you mean by "cant access them"? Via nfs
    > or via any route such as the bash shell?

    The filesystems are ext3. If I try to access the nfs share from the
    command line I simply get a permission denied error when I try and
    enter the folder.

    Here is the exports file from the server:
    /home 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(no_root_squash,rw)
    /photos 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
    /music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(sync,no_root_squash,rw)

    The client fstab contains:
    192.168.1.2:/home /home nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/music /mnt/music nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/photos /mnt/photos nfs defaults 0 0

    The UIDs and GIDs on the Gutsy client are exactly the same as those on a
    Feisty client which can access the nfs shares.

  6. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On 14 Nov 2007 15:21:22 GMT, piltdown wrote:

    >The filesystems are ext3. If I try to access the nfs share from the
    >command line I simply get a permission denied error when I try and
    >enter the folder.

    Recommendation: Unmount them, and try to remount from the commandline. Note
    any error message generated ..

    >Here is the exports file from the server:
    >/home 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(no_root_squash,rw)
    >/photos 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
    >/music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(sync,no_root_squash,rw)

    I think your problem is between the parentheses. Something looks ..
    missing. Although I have mounted a few NFS shares in my time, I am far from
    an expert.

    There is (was) a poster here who went by the $NICK Little Girl, who has
    written a very good tutorial on the subject. I don't have the URL, but I
    suggest you try searching Google Groups for her posts.

  7. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:39:15 -0500, George Peatty wrote:

    > Recommendation: Unmount them, and try to remount from the commandline. Note
    > any error message generated ..

    Unmounting then mounting the nfs shares from the command line produces no
    errors.

  8. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    piltdown wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:18:52 +0100, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Do you have more information? Which filesystems/mounts? Can you explore
    >> them using command line? Why do you mean by "cant access them"? Via nfs
    >> or via any route such as the bash shell?

    > The filesystems are ext3. If I try to access the nfs share from the
    > command line I simply get a permission denied error when I try and
    > enter the folder.
    >
    > Here is the exports file from the server:
    > /home 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(no_root_squash,rw)
    > /photos 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
    > /music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(sync,no_root_squash,rw)
    >
    > The client fstab contains:
    > 192.168.1.2:/home /home nfs defaults 0 0
    > 192.168.1.2:/music /mnt/music nfs defaults 0 0
    > 192.168.1.2:/photos /mnt/photos nfs defaults 0 0
    >
    > The UIDs and GIDs on the Gutsy client are exactly the same as those on a
    > Feisty client which can access the nfs shares.

    Please post your client's entire fstab, so I can see more of what you got
    there.

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.

  9. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:49:36 +0000, NoStop wrote:

    > Please post your client's entire fstab, so I can see more of what you got
    > there.

    Here is the fstab of the Gutsy client.

    #
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/hdb6
    UUID=a359cb9a-1f4c-4295-807e-e216509d35df / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/hda1
    UUID=8080729D8072997C /media/hda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
    # /dev/hdb1
    UUID=b32467be-bd91-4f84-8796-cd6e157c8ea6 /media/hdb1 ext3 defaults 0 2
    # /dev/hdb5
    UUID=53f13108-4151-48c2-9fed-c98e4cbff194 /media/hdb5 ext3 defaults 0 2
    # /dev/hdb7
    UUID=273bb3a4-e5d4-4b94-a014-df3375d47270 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

    192.168.1.2:/home /home nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/music /mnt/music nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/tgtraining /mnt/tgtraining nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/videos /mnt/videos nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/photos /mnt/photos nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/pdfs /mnt/pdfs nfs defaults 0 0
    192.168.1.2:/workCD /mnt/workcd nfs defaults 0 0

  10. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On 14 Nov 2007 16:38:21 GMT, piltdown wrote:

    >> Recommendation: Unmount them, and try to remount from the commandline. Note
    >> any error message generated ..

    >Unmounting then mounting the nfs shares from the command line produces no
    >errors.

    Do you still get Access Denied messages? If so, reboot, then repeat. Some
    here are of a mind that rebooting is unnecessary and to reminiscent of
    Windows' solutions, but even in Linux, sometimes it helps.

  11. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:32:46 -0500, George Peatty wrote:

    > Do you still get Access Denied messages? If so, reboot, then repeat. Some
    > here are of a mind that rebooting is unnecessary and to reminiscent of
    > Windows' solutions, but even in Linux, sometimes it helps.

    I'm afraid rebooting makes no difference, I still get permission denied
    when I try to open the folder. I'm mystified by the permissions problem
    because if I look at the folder permissions (on the Gutsy client) the
    folder is assigned to my user name and my group name.

  12. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On 2007-11-15, piltdown hit the keyboard and wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:32:46 -0500, George Peatty wrote:
    >
    >> Do you still get Access Denied messages? If so, reboot, then repeat. Some
    >> here are of a mind that rebooting is unnecessary and to reminiscent of
    >> Windows' solutions, but even in Linux, sometimes it helps.

    > I'm afraid rebooting makes no difference, I still get permission denied
    > when I try to open the folder. I'm mystified by the permissions problem
    > because if I look at the folder permissions (on the Gutsy client) the
    > folder is assigned to my user name and my group name.

    User-ID also everywhere the same?

    Dragomir Kollaric

  13. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:47:38 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > User-ID also everywhere the same?

    Yes. On the same PC I have partition running Feisty and the IDS are
    identical.

  14. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    In article <473c0100@212.67.96.135>, piltdown says...

    >> Do you still get Access Denied messages? If so, reboot, then repeat. Some
    >> here are of a mind that rebooting is unnecessary and to reminiscent of
    >> Windows' solutions, but even in Linux, sometimes it helps.

    >I'm afraid rebooting makes no difference, I still get permission denied
    >when I try to open the folder. I'm mystified by the permissions problem
    >because if I look at the folder permissions (on the Gutsy client) the
    >folder is assigned to my user name and my group name.

    I don't know how to fix your problem, but from what I read, I am convinced that
    it is a security issue. In similar situations using SAMBA, I have rebuilt the
    smb.conf file from scratch a piece at a time. You might try that. Also, check
    /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, and /etc/hosts.deny for entries that might block
    your client machine. Make sure the hostname of the client is listed in
    /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow, and not listed in /etc/hosts.deny

    Finally, a similar issue from my experience that may be relevant to yours. I use
    Fusesmb to access shares across a network. When I open one of my server folders
    on one of my clients, I also get access denied messages. However, when I
    double-click on that folder a second or third time, it will open. I guess, what
    I'm suggesting is keep trying.

  15. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    George Peatty wrote:

    > In article <473c0100@212.67.96.135>, piltdown says...
    >

    >>> Do you still get Access Denied messages? If so, reboot, then repeat.
    >>> Some here are of a mind that rebooting is unnecessary and to reminiscent
    >>> of Windows' solutions, but even in Linux, sometimes it helps.

    >>I'm afraid rebooting makes no difference, I still get permission denied
    >>when I try to open the folder. I'm mystified by the permissions problem
    >>because if I look at the folder permissions (on the Gutsy client) the
    >>folder is assigned to my user name and my group name.

    > I don't know how to fix your problem, but from what I read, I am convinced
    > that
    > it is a security issue. In similar situations using SAMBA, I have rebuilt
    > the
    > smb.conf file from scratch a piece at a time. You might try that.

    That's the correct way.

    > Also,
    > check /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, and /etc/hosts.deny for entries that
    > might block
    > your client machine. Make sure the hostname of the client is listed in
    > /etc/hosts and /etc/hosts.allow, and not listed in /etc/hosts.deny

    George,

    You're confused of the role of those hosts.* files. They are used to control
    access to those services that can use a tcpwrapper. Samba does not, as it
    has its own internal mechanism to control access, configured within its
    smb.conf file.

    To check whether a daemon uses a tcpwrapper you can run a command like
    this ...

    ldd /usr/sbin/sshd |grep libwrap

    if it shows a result, then it does. In the example above you'll get
    something like:

    libwrap.so.0 => /lib/libwrap.so.0 (0xb7f31000)

    On the other hand, do that with samba as in ...

    ldd /usr/sbin/smbd |grep libwrap

    and you'll see no result.

    If you run the following you'll get results, but this is NOT referring to
    hosts.allow or hosts.deny but Samba's internal access control mechanism.

    strings /usr/sbin/smbd | egrep "hosts.deny|hosts.allow|libwrap"

    Cheers.

    --
    Sometimes, I Wake Up Grumpy.
    Sometimes, I Just Let Him Sleep In.
    -- My Wife

  16. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:02:43 +0000, piltdown wrote:

    Has something changed in the way Gutsy handles nfs?

    Just to add to my own post here. Out o0f interest I installed Debian
    stable and nfs worked just fine - no permission errors. I then upgraded to
    Debian Sid and the nfs shares were broken - as in Gutsy.

    So, it appears that something has changed in nfs or the way nfs is mounted.
    Any ideas?

  17. Re: Trying to upgrade to Gutsy, but....

    piltdown wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:47:38 +0100, Dragomir Kollaric wrote:

    > > User-ID also everywhere the same?

    > Yes. On the same PC I have partition running Feisty and the IDS are
    > identical.

    Sorry to jump in so late, but in the event that you still haven't
    worked out NFS, I've got a step by step walk-through here:

    http://littlergirl.googlepages.com/NFSForIdiots.html

    I hope it helps!

    --
    Little Girl