Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure. - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure. - Ubuntu ; What reality are you living in? Vista sales are not eating into XP at all, the other way round--sorry to disappoint you. MS is now permitting some computer manufactures to "downgrade" to XP. Corporate sales are holding off on Vista. ...

  1. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    What reality are you living in? Vista sales are not eating into XP at all,
    the other way round--sorry to disappoint you. MS is now permitting some
    computer manufactures to "downgrade" to XP. Corporate sales are holding off
    on Vista.

    If you have tried Vista, I have it running on two computers at home, and it
    is a dog, particularly for novices. My personal feeling is that it is a
    POS. MS has made a great mistake in going forward with it.

    Hell, I am running Ubuntu Gutsy (7.1) on an old Dell Dimension, 900MHz with
    256 of RAM and it runs reasonably well, far better than XP did on the same
    machine. Try running Vista on such a machine!

    Someone paying you from Microsoft to write this crap!

  2. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:50:41 -0600, Little Gorm
    wrote:

    >What reality are you living in? Vista sales are not eating into XP at all,
    >the other way round--sorry to disappoint you. MS is now permitting some
    >computer manufactures to "downgrade" to XP. Corporate sales are holding off
    >on Vista.
    >
    >If you have tried Vista, I have it running on two computers at home, and it
    >is a dog, particularly for novices. My personal feeling is that it is a
    >POS. MS has made a great mistake in going forward with it.
    >
    >Hell, I am running Ubuntu Gutsy (7.1) on an old Dell Dimension, 900MHz with
    >256 of RAM and it runs reasonably well, far better than XP did on the same
    >machine. Try running Vista on such a machine!
    >
    >Someone paying you from Microsoft to write this crap!

    IMHO, in the long run, it doesn't pay to compare--just talk about the
    positives as everything has its negatives.
    Linux needs to stand by itselt and not to care about MS, otherwise it
    will not gain at all.

    Vista works--if you have the machine and the patience for it. But, why
    bother? XP works fine and liking it does not preclude me from using
    and gaining experience with Linux with the long range goal of moving
    some work to it and maybe selling some machines pre-loaded with it. .

    This Ubuntu seems to just flat out work!

    Case in point: I prematurely made a post a couple of hours ago about
    needing a DLink wireless Driver for my PCMCIA card as I was unable to
    locate one in the 'normal' way.

    While awaiting a response, just for the hell of it, I put it into the
    machine, albiet a lowly 5 or 6 year old Celeron with 256MB, and, lo
    and behold, it was recognized and I joined the wireless network with
    just about nothing to do at all!

    A very very positive thing for me.

    Now, if it only were a P4...

    Out.
    Bob

  3. Re: Another year, and another year of Lintard failure.

    HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:

    > Just like every other version of Unix in existance.

    You'd better get off Usenet, then. It uses Unix! Come to that, you'd
    better disconnect your computer from the internet altogether - >95% of web
    servers run Unix or Linux. You wouldn't want to be connected to /that/
    rubbish, would you?

    C.

    Windows: a poor proprietary client for a Unix world!

+ Reply to Thread